• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Adv. tacts. w/VIDS - by GAwes and Kone -Sweeping and scraping. Help confirm plz!!!!!

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
I may be jumping the gun here, but I was watching when you were using Lucas...It only made the opponent trip when it seemed like Lucas's toes were hitting the opponent...Maybe it's a specific part of the hitbox that sweeps the opponent?

GAwes

Hidden Boss
sesswhatever - they're not the same

are you sure ness's works, because im pretty sure it doesnt, im not doubting you, have you played the game?

dont know n. riddle, possibly. will test, but it usually seems to be the 3-5 hit, will check it out though

FIRST POST IS UPDATED PLEASE READ, IT MAY MAKE THINGS MORE CLEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Magus420

Smash Master
Since the hitboxes can be out when doing it, my best guess would be that scraping is due to landing with a non-positive fallspeed due to the attack's animation triggering a landing before they actually begin to fall. In Melee this only occurred when not doing an attack, but perhaps Brawl applies this to attacks now as well.

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
I may be jumping the gun here, but I was watching when you were using Lucas...It only made the opponent trip when it seemed like Lucas's toes were hitting the opponent...Maybe it's a specific part of the hitbox that sweeps the opponent?
Yes. But just with Lucas. :bee:

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
yo wes i think zelda's dair sweetspotted vs people on the ground makes people just sit on they butt lol

Spacecadet

Smash Cadet
Yes. But just with Lucas. :bee:
That may not necessarily be true, as hitboxes aren't always the same size. It looks to me like sweeping is based on the part of the hitbox, not the percentage.

I only have that video to go by though, I don't even have a Wii yet :(

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
I made a gigantic thread that explains everything about sweeping. :bee:

That may not necessarily be true, as hitboxes aren't always the same size. It looks to me like sweeping is based on the part of the hitbox, not the percentage.

I only have that video to go by though, I don't even have a Wii yet :(
Well what part of the hitbox you hit with can often determine what version of an attack you get (like Falcon's flubbed knee), and different versions of attacks have different damages and knockback, which are factors that affect tripping. But Lucas is the only character I've noticed so far whose (apparently) single version of an attack is positionally-sensitive when tripping. :bee:

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
I've been using sweeping with Kirby's downtilt for a long time cuz he can smash right after he sweeps, h/w i've sweeped at all damages but its never guaranteed.

My understanding and from the testing i've done with sweeping is this. IF ur opponent is inputing a command as he's being hit or in the process of being hit he'll trip. This i've found to work. Not issuing a command seems to b a little bit random but for the most part doesn't cause a trip. Hope this helps a little.

DEAD

Smash Cadet
To me it looks like Lucas' sweep is almost a sweetspot sweep (Much like Cfalc's Knee) which looks like the tip of his shoe, or possibly Hitbox oriented. I suggest looking more into that.

(sorry if this has been mentioned already, as i am to lazy to sift threw topic content.)

S2

Smash Lord
yo wes i think zelda's dair sweetspotted vs people on the ground makes people just sit on they butt lol
I'm fairly certain that where you hit them makes no difference. It's either random whether Zelda's d-air trips or its based on factors we don't know.

DEAD

Smash Cadet
I actually tested this today with Lucas, and based on my tests i can safely say that it is sweetspot orientated. after 100+ sweeps (switching between chest to chest and the tip of Lucas' shoe) i found that the sweetspot at the tip of the shoe would trip said opponent 2/3's of the time (probably more actually, since this is just an estimate) as opposed to being chest to chest which only seemed to trip the opponent the further he was knocked away.

Note that this test was only with Lucas, as i didnt have enough time to test different characters or have time to take down statistics.

Top Bottom