• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Adding New Clones: Good or Bad?

What do you think of clones?

• Good! The more characters the merrier.

Votes: 67 29.9%
  • Okay - Depends on who the clone is.

Votes: 103 46.0%
  • Not a huge fan, I find it lazy.

Votes: 42 18.8%
  • Bad. So bad that I can't even deal with it.

Votes: 12 5.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Now that Lucina has been confirmed, we know that Sakurai is indeed again creating clone characters.

Are people sick of clones by now, or are they just happy to have more characters in the game?

How would you react if your most wanted newcomer was confirmed in the form of a clone?

How far is too far - Mewtwo returns with Lucario's moves? Dixie Kong with Diddy Kong's moves?

And, finally, who would you accept as a clone?

Personally, I think this is a great idea - a quick way to bring a new character, or returning veteran into the game.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I suppose it hardly takes any effort to make clones so it's not wasting any development time, though it feels kinda cheap as a way to have more characters. I'm alright with it. I guess we could see Dr. Mario make a comeback.

SKM_NeoN

Smash Journeyman
It definitely depends on the clone, I'm glad you thought to make a voting option for it (few polls have a good variety of options it seems). For a character like Lucina and Falco I think it's fine, considering they're very similar to their counterparts in their respective games.

Ganondorf being a clone of C. Falcon, on the other hand... Unacceptable.

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
Lucina isn't all that much of a clone to me, due to her sword mechanics differing from marth. That changes the damage output, and really changes her play. Things like that are okay. If they brought back dr Mario? I would be a little upset. The changes were very slim, unlike the whole mechanic Change with lucina

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
There shouldn't be any cross-franchise clones. Falcondorf should never be repeated.

Within each series, with similar characters, yes it will be acceptable.

If the clone makes sense.

Link-Toon Link: Sense
Marth-Lucina: Sense
Falcon-Ganondorf: WTF?
Exactly my point.

Honestly, I like playing as Marth, so I'll give Lucina a chance.

Quoting something from @Sil, on the Miiverse thread:
"Plus, because clones have some different attributes, it basically allows more people to try out a particular moveset. For example, I am absolute crap with Falcon in Melee, but Ganondorf is easily one of my best characters."

I like where this line of thinking goes. If Marth isn't someone's slice of cake, maybe Lucina can fill that role?

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
It really depends on how the clone is handled in the first place. I'm fine with Toon Link among others, but I'm not entirely sure yet if Lucina has gone down a good path or not....

I wouldn't have liked Melee any more than I did if it lacked those quirky characters like Dr. Mario, Pichu and so on; so I say the more the merrier. As long as it doesn't come to light that other characters or features had to be dropped for them; but so far, it's always seemed like the clones were added simply because Sakurai thought they had the extra time to do it.

Last edited:

NoiseHERO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NoiseHERO
3DS FC
4038-7106-6271
I've always been cool with clones, mostly cause yeah, more the merrier like poll says, though it is kind of lame when one is better than their counterpart. @_@

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I personally never really had much against semi clones. So long as they are low priority while the more unique characters are high priority and they have enough different attributes to give them their own unique playstyle then I personally wouldn't consider the semi clone addition as anything more than a simple freebie that the development team added simply because they had some extra time but not enough for a more unique character.

So long as we don't get another Falcondorf case though, because that did take it a bit too far... cases like Toon Link, Lucas, Lucina and Falco is fine though...

Anyway, I know threads like these tend to get a little touchy with some people so hopefully the discussion can remain as civil as it currently is...

Chauzu

Smash Ace
Totally fine with it. The more the merrier. Hard to deny that Lucina didn't bring the extra hype to this reveal, instead of "just" Robin. That she was a clone in retrospect doesn't really matter.

But yeah, Falcondorf, never again please.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Also, even though he seriously stunk in Brawl, I still much prefer Ganondorf in Brawl since he received a lot of changes that made him differ from Captain Falcon much more than he did in Melee, but he still shared a lot of similarities to Falcon nonetheless. I really hope he'll get revamped into the true king of evil this time.

I think we can put aside any concern for another "Falcondorf" situation though.

Last edited:

Xavier :D

Smash Ace
NNID
legend_of_xav
If the clone makes sense.

Link-Toon Link: Sense
Marth-Lucina: Sense
Falcon-Ganondorf: WTF?
I think this sums it up quite perfectly. I don't really mind clones at all. More characters for us to play as, the only one that REALLY bugs me is Ganondorf.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
You're going to get clones in just about any character-centered game no matter what. When the time table says you have the choice between adding several similar characters and one completely unique character, it's usually preferable to have several similar characters.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I've understood that clones will always happen, even when Sakurai states that they won't. I was mad in Brawl, but now I just expected it so much I can't be mad anymore. Especially since they chose Lucina! ^_^

Light-Kratos

Smash Cadet
I don't get how so many people can find it good, it's obviously poor for the metagame since everybody will play the best character between Marth and Lucina. It's just a wasted slot imo, even though it does not waste too much development time.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
As long as the clone is fun to play (preferably moreso than the parent character :awesome:), that's all I care about. Toon Link? He's less clunky (IMO) than Link and Bair combos for dayz. Roy? Marth's tipper mechanic was annoying anyway. etc

FancysaurusRex

Smash Apprentice
I don't get how so many people can find it good, it's obviously poor for the metagame since everybody will play the best character between Marth and Lucina. It's just a wasted slot imo, even though it does not waste too much development time.
Fox and Falco would like a word. Plus character slots don't really matter, it most likely was either Lucina or nothing. All that matters is if the character takes a bunch of development time

Last edited:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Well, for one not everybody is competitive or cares about the 'metagame'.

(Understand I am not bashing the competitive side, though). For me, I'm not competitive, and for me this is a new character that I get to play as, and one I really wanted on top of that.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Depends.
I'm totally fine with the idea of having clones. I liked Mario's playstyle in SSBM, but it clicked for me more when I played as Dr. Mario.

Things like Pichu-Pikachu, Dr. Mario-Mario, and Young Link-Link make sense, either because they're the same person or are related in some way. In Lucina's case, attempting to pass off as Marth was her thing, even in the game where she originated. However, just because I like clones doesn't mean I want to see a plethora of potential unique characters becoming clones (Ganondorf becoming Captain Falcon, Dark Samus becoming Samus, even Roy becoming Marth).

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The more the merrier. I really don't mind clones (I main Toon Link, Falco and Luigi after all) as long as they're not as blatant as Melee (a bit of their own flair), and the moveset suits them.

LoneWolfRanger

Smash Apprentice
I Agree, depends on the character. Im fine with lucina being a clone, however, ganondorf should not have falcons moveset...

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
Clones are and will be always a bad option. Lucina is not even "new character based on Marth", it's the same with a couple of changes. In fact, Sakurai compared her with hooded Little Mac and male trainer, so...

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I wouldn't be bothered if it were just semi clones and I'm not really going to be bothered if Lucina is the only real clone. But I don't really want to see an abundance of clones.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
Personally I love clone characters.

For me, it only matters on WHO the clone character is, and I do like some variation.

Like, as much as I dislike it, I can totally understand Falco and Wolf being Fox clones. (Contrarily I can't understand Toon Link being a clone with potential moves like that big Leaf from Windwaker.... And don't get me started on Gannondorf. xP)

But for the most part, I am perfectly fine with the existence of clones if it means more characters and I'd rather a character be in as a clone than not at all.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Personally I love clone characters.

For me, it only matters on WHO the clone character is, and I do like some variation.

Like, as much as I dislike it, I can totally understand Falco and Wolf being Fox clones. (Contrarily I can't understand Toon Link being a clone with potential moves like that big Leaf from Windwaker.... And don't get me started on Gannondorf. xP)

But for the most part, I am perfectly fine with the existence of clones if it means more characters and I'd rather a character be in as a clone than not at all.
Wolf isn't a clone of Fox

Jiggy37

Smash Apprentice
I'll take any chance I have of getting Dr. Mario back, Kumatora as a Lucas clone, or Black Shadow as a Ganondorf clone (and then de-clone Ganondorf himself). On the other hand, I want a real Daisy or no Daisy at all.

So I'm 3-1 in favor of more clones besides Lucina and Toon Link.

Malcolm Belmont

Smash Ace
NNID
King Joffery
I'll take any chance I have of getting Dr. Mario back, Kumatora as a Lucas clone, or Black Shadow as a Ganondorf clone (and then de-clone Ganondorf himself). On the other hand, I want a real Daisy or no Daisy at all.

So I'm 3-1 in favor of more clones besides Lucina and Toon Link.
I think Black Shadow should get Ganondorf's moveset

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
Wolf has only specials shared with Fox. Everything else is pretty different. Lucina, as Sakurai explained today, is more a female version of Marth with a couple of changes.
Considering Wolf is my main, I'm well aware of the differences between himself and Fox. As well as the differences between Falco and Fox. However, While he is a clone with several differences, and a different weight class, he is still a clone.

It's not like it's something to be ashamed of. Why do people think that being a clone makes a character a pariah? Yeesh. Would it help if people just started saying "clone" instead?

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Considering Wolf is my main, I'm well aware of the differences between himself and Fox. As well as the differences between Falco and Fox. However, While he is a clone with several differences, and a different weight class, he is still a clone.

It's not like it's something to be ashamed of. Why do people think that being a clone makes a character a pariah? Yeesh. Would it help if people just started saying "clone" instead?
He's not a damn clone.
*Goes insane*

Do people think clones like Lucina will have different custom moves?

Last edited:

MetaG

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0404-6399-6037
Imo, the main problem with clones comes from Melee, where really odd choices like Pichu or Dr. Mario got in before fan favorites like Diddy Kong, Wario, Metaknight, King Dedede...
Now that the most requested characters are already in, there are a lot of popular characters (Dark Pit, Bowser Jr., Toon Zelda...) that could benefit from this. However, I hope they limit this trend to characters that actually make sense, while others like Dixie Kong are luigified instead of being full clones.
Overall, I'm OK with this as long as the most popular choices like Ridley, K. Rool or Mewtwo are all included before they start beefing up the roster.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
He's not a damn clone.
*Goes insane*

Do people think clones like Lucina will have different custom moves?
Wolf is easily my favorite character. Which is why he is my main. I think we will just have to agree to disagree as I think the fundamental difference in opinion just lies in what we view constitutes a character as a clone. Either way, I meant nothing by it.

And to your question, I really hope so. It'd be a nifty way to branch out with the characters. Especially if they were as varied as Palutena and Mii Fighters.

YoPoYo9100

Smash Apprentice
I was hoping there would not be any clones that play so similarly to thier counterparts, but it is what it is.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Wolf is easily my favorite character. Which is why he is my main. I think we will just have to agree to disagree as I think the fundamental difference in opinion just lies in what we view constitutes a character as a clone. Either way, I meant nothing by it.

And to your question, I really hope so. It'd be a nifty way to branch out with the characters. Especially if they were as varied as Palutena and Mii Fighters.
I hope so too. It would warm me up to their inclusion a lot more if the customisation gave them more differences.

Rasumii

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rasumii
It gives people a chance to have their favorite character represented. I'm all for it, as long as it makes sense. Basically as long as they are clones of someone in their respective series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom