• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Adapter For Playing Wii on Old TV- HELP

Hey I am a huge smash melee and PM fan who got into it last winter. As a dedicated player who wants to get better I'd like to practice more but I have to share our family tv. I have a small tv however but it doesn't have the outlets for the audio and video cables (it's old). My friend told me you can get an adapter for it but neither of us are very technologically savvy. Basically what I want to know is what is the name of the type of adapters I am talking about and are they expensive. I thank anybody who tries to help in advance.:039::172::025::150:

Bazkip

Smash Master
The TV only takes RF. Nintendo made an adapter for the GameCube, but not for the Wii. You can probably find Composite > RF adapters out there, but it'd be way easier to just go out and get a CRT that does have the ports. CRTs can easily be found for free.

ssbMars

Fox only 420XX Blaze it
What @ Bazkip Bazkip said. If you're planning on buying an adapter, you might as well just get a CRT. You can usually find them at a salvation army, good will, or other second hand place. They're either free or $5-$15. It's much easier to find a CRT than to get an RF adapter for a wii. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I think I'm actually just gonna get a Tendak compostie adapter although I'll probably check Goodwill for a CRT first. If I get a composite adapter which one would I get?

Last edited:

Bazkip

Smash Master
Wait what do you guys mean by free? How can I get them for free?
People often give CRTs away for free on Craigslist (or similar sites), and you can also just find them sitting on the curb when people get rid of them.

I can't help you with the adapter, since it's not an advisable solution (RF is super outdated) it's not something worth looking into. Best I can tell you is to look at reviews, but I'd still advise you to get a new CRT.

Last edited:
People often give CRTs away for free on Craigslist (or similar sites), and you can also just find them sitting on the curb when people get rid of them.

I can't help you with the adapter, since it's not an advisable solution (RF is super outdated) it's not something worth looking into. Best I can tell you is to look at reviews, but I'd still advise you to get a new CRT.
Thanks!

Top Bottom