• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Active Player Thread: Ones who does not have Triforce can't go in

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Wish judo would be a tad more active tho.
I wish everyone was a tad bit more active. I'm completely shock we don't have our frame data on shield yet, or a good guide on how to use the chain, or some data on jabs. I mean really?

How hard is it to get a rubber band, wrap it around the directional stick of your 2nd controller to force it up and add a handicap. Get a stock match with 99 lives and increase the handicap in 10% chunk against meta knight and after the jabs hold shield while you spam A on your 2nd controller so meta knight will uair(2 frames). It's not frame data but ****, it would give a lot of information about how the jab combos work.

Dcold

Smash Lord
I didn't think of that tbh, and I'm sure I wouldn't have. Probably still won't though.

I'm trying to get more active, went to a tourney like 2 weeks ago, there's one that's this coming Saturday, and then another 2 weeks ago, and another like 3 weeks after that. I think Ed just went to one (but didn't tell us how it went, psh).

Dcold

Smash Lord
Happy Birthday Tutu ya scrub, stop losing to Links on wifi :] (top 5 link tho)

And Tristan PLEASE tell me you did what you left as a shoutout. I wish I could hear it.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I didn't think of that tbh, and I'm sure I wouldn't have. Probably still won't though.

I'm trying to get more active, went to a tourney like 2 weeks ago, there's one that's this coming Saturday, and then another 2 weeks ago, and another like 3 weeks after that. I think Ed just went to one (but didn't tell us how it went, psh).
Well after a little bit of curious testing it doesn't seem like there much of a advantage anyways. I didn't actually start to notice a delay of meta knight uair until around 100% so it wouldn't surprise me if a true Jab-Jab into Ftilt combo does exist at some % or at least some type of frame trap(since you know, you can't tell the difference between 2 to 5 frame attack). I didn't test it fairly thoroughly though so human error bla bla. Its kinda F up though how in the low % he can uair us between our jabs, I didn't like discovering that.

Frame data is too much work. Just point the control stick towards the bad guy, and press the big green button until u win.
Sir, we aren't Snake. We have to mix it up by hold down the red button at times and waving the control stick it towards the bad guys. ... Seriously, chain broken.

Happy Birthday Tutu ya scrub, stop losing to Links on wifi :] (top 5 link tho)

And Tristan PLEASE tell me you did what you left as a shoutout. I wish I could hear it.
I'm sorry Dcold but that was a joke. I don't have a recording of sheik groaning, it would be epic if I did but I don't.

In other news I was messing around today and I notice if you do a raising uair you can hit some of the fatter and taller characters(I only tested it really on Snake, Ike and d3) while they are on the ground. (Mainly thinking about snake here) but this could be useful for some interesting low to mid % combos. If you full hop it then you can use another aerial before landing although if they shield it you will most likely have to do a cross up so you wont be so easy to grab or use an jump/up B. Digging a bit deeper into the theory craft I would assume that on smaller characters if they shield then the uair will be able to hit them. A strong Uair isn't too bad on shields so maybe using this to short hop Uair behind someone is a legit mix up or a full hop Uair into jump to escape a bad scenario.

I'm about 100% I'm not the first one to notice this, I just care now because I rediscovered it so it's like a new toy for me.

edit: So speaking about the chain the secret in using it to counter opponents isn't to mindlessly move it toward them but to build momentum for where you want it to go, launch it for the best angle and then let it slowly droop down before repeating. Whenever the chain is moving, even if its only slightly, it has a hit box so by doing this we maximization of the range of the chain while keeping our hit box in the desired area longer. Once you get the first hit that's when you start (for the most part) mindlessly slapping them with your chain.

Dcold

Smash Lord
l0lX is my mans though.

And Tristan the only time I see the chain as useful for me is for catching people with a read at the ledge and getting them in the chainlock, or just shocking them off with the tip of it into a reset.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
l0lX is my mans though.

And Tristan the only time I see the chain as useful for me is for catching people with a read at the ledge and getting them in the chainlock, or just shocking them off with the tip of it into a reset.
You have to be more imaginative man.

The chain can stop all aerial attacks and if your smart pretty much all frontal ground attacks as well. It's good in every match up, heck it's ****ing broken in some.

Next time you play try jumping back onto the stage into the chain as a mix up to get back on stage
Falling back onto the stage, why not try mixing in the chain to get some breathing room.
Opponent committing a lot when he attack you with his aerials, dash back and jump into chain.
Opponent is falling back to stage, jump into chain.
Want to break up your opponent brick wall, jump into chain and watch as you out range them completely
Want to hit the opponent in the low % safely, why not use the chain. If you get a tipper you might be able to double or even triple hit them.
Your opponent being lame on the ledge and is below 100%, why not jump into chain?
Edit: How I forget this one, the chain is AMAZING out of grab. Fthrow or Bthrow someone then do a jump into chain. There's a good chance they will air dodge and maybe even DI toward you which is exactly what you want someone to do when your chain camping.
Want a very effective mix up, dash toward someone do a empty jump toward them, pull back and chain.
The chain beats everything, shields, spot dodges, attacks, heck even some range attacks.
Oh, so your opponent is trying to break though, and even manages to hit you after you hit them 4 times. The chain does 5% per hit, that's 20%. How much did their attack do? 15? Now imagine if you hit them more then just 4 times, like 10 times that's 50%. This isn't far fetch as the chain is very deceptive when you get hit by it. You don't think your taking a lot of damage but in reality it quickly adds up.
If you can predict your opponent is going to approach you, or if you can corner your opponent to force them to approach the chain is the best option.

I don't have problems finding ways to using the chain, I have problems justify why I shouldn't use the chain. The chain is so good I've had people stop playing me because of it, its too gay in some match ups.

edit: Further more, the cool down is not as bad as you would think. There are many characters who are unable to punish you in time if you fail to predict them and retract the chain with their range attacks this includes characters as 'good' as Snake.

TreK

Is "that guy"
I'm still training my Sheik, it's about 3 months old now (but the French scene is so dead/I'm so busy that I hadn't had the chance to test it in person yet)

I've been messing around with the running turnaround animation. Sheik crouches a lot during it and you can basically make it last as long as you want by pressing the stick halfway backwards. If you see something coming from afar you can just make it end and use tilts afterwards, but if you're forced to react, it's cancellable into a jump, and thus an usmash. And if you're forced to retreat, you can just...well, run in the other direction (or shield). It's the most efficient against Marth and MK this far but hey... CPUs will still be CPUs. I don't expect my opponents to be tossing random rising fairs and nairs all the time.

Edit : I have no clue how to use the chain. No chain gang for me yet :V

Tristan_win

Not dead.
har har har. I just found the perfect picture to match my favorite picture of Zelda

edit: Although the joke about Zelda being so slow doesn't really apply to Sheik it's still amazing someone drew this. What's really funny though is there's even a fatter version of Sheik after this but I feel this one matches better.

edit: Holy ****, there's free photo editors online.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I think the best thing about taking a break for a while is when you come back you can reevaluate some of your habits/tactics. For example I enjoy using vanish near the ledge while someone is hanging off but today I realize something. Instead of mindlessly running toward the ledge into vanish or to force someone onto the ledge and then vanish I should wait a half a second after they grab the ledge and then up B. With proper timing I should score more hits and stage spikes due to this arguable frame trap on the ledge <3

Dcold

Smash Lord
Got 9th today, only good win was vs Nives, a Lucario main from France that teamed with Vinnie, beat him 2-0, got the replays, Dul has them. I suppose that's a "big win" for me, since I'm inconsistent as ****. 9/30

A bit annoyed since the whole day some of my inputs would flat out not work, I think it was Dul's tvs tbh, ftilt locking and b-reversing was HELL, and I couldn't get it. I need to just flat out get more offline practice besides tournaments, barely any smashfests around here, just tournaments, not enough practice time besides vs computers. [ On another note, anyone have any ideas of how to practice vs computers that's actually beneficial, @namesearch Orion ]

Lost to Orion, input johns, but that wouldn't have helped me, just plain got outplayed, ggs mayne. Thanks for the tips (if you ever see this)
And **** ***** I can't concentrate and play well when you're yelling at me for the options I'm taking @_@. No swag.

Lost to Mr. Eric, again, I play him so often on and offline and train with him on wifi, plus I play him at every damn tournament lol, so he's got the Marth v Sheik MU down by now, but he flat out beat me, so ggs.

Venue wasn't good at all though, was so cramped and uncomfortable, meh...had a bit of fun, wish there were more setups/space so I could actually play people outside of bracket.

To the lab everyone.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Ahh, I finally got the chance to use my sheik against a real opponent :D

As expected, I lack consistency, sometimes 3 stocking him by reading all his stuff, sometimes getting 2 stocked by being way too predictable. But that should go away after a couple months.
And I just discovered about the invincibility frames on the upB. Damn I should have read the guide, this thing is too much fun to play with.

Edit : WTF is Nives doing in 'murica ? xD

As for your thing about computers being useless, what I usually do is I set myself a goal and try to apply it while 3 stocking it. In example, I tell myself 'kill with nair', or 'land 3 pivot grabs on each stock' at the beginning of the match.
Also make sure that there is only one variable : the opponent, or the stage, but not both. It's an easy way to stay focused and explore more situations.

Dcold

Smash Lord
lol

Was it that bad?
No, we played and I won the first game, he won the 2nd, 3rd game we were on Battlefield and I was up about 100% (being at around 40, and him around 130/140 give or take), and I airdodged into him and he grab release->spiked me. :l

Ahh, I finally got the chance to use my sheik against a real opponent :D

As expected, I lack consistency, sometimes 3 stocking him by reading all his stuff, sometimes getting 2 stocked by being way too predictable. But that should go away after a couple months.
And I just discovered about the invincibility frames on the upB. Damn I should have read the guide, this thing is too much fun to play with.

Edit : WTF is Nives doing in 'murica ? xD

As for your thing about computers being useless, what I usually do is I set myself a goal and try to apply it while 3 stocking it. In example, I tell myself 'kill with nair', or 'land 3 pivot grabs on each stock' at the beginning of the match.
Also make sure that there is only one variable : the opponent, or the stage, but not both. It's an easy way to stay focused and explore more situations.
Wow this is perfect, I remember you had a thread about practicing alone vs computers, forgot (didn't know) you used Sheik and would possibly see it. Plans be workin' and twerkin. Any other ideas for training with CPU's and stuff?

Not bad. Keep improving bro.

Got 4th today. Lost to #1 and #2 on the PR. Bleh. Nick Riddle and Mampam did enough to beat me. I kinda hate zss.
Who'd you beat? And any replays? Good **** though man.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Hmm... I heard M2K tries to restrain himself from punishing the automatic airdodges that this stupid IA keeps on doing whenever you hit it, because he doesn't want his punish moves to be muscle memory. You might want to do that too.

My Sheik is fresh and new, I just got back from a 2 years pause after I got hyped from APEX and the EVO fundraiser, and I decided to switch mains. My good old Diddy is still of some use, but he doesn't give me any satisfaction anymore. Good thing is, I know how to use bananas better than most Diddies I will have to fight against, so that's one matchup I won't have much trouble with.

Dcold

Smash Lord
Yeah that was in your thread, I remember that one.

And I see, you'd probably be better off using both Diddy and Sheik, just use Sheik for Diddy's bad MUs or where Sheik does better.

Top Bottom