• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

According To Sakurai, Patch 1.0.4 Will Be The Final Balance Patch

Crazc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RJB0077
3DS FC
2191-8077-5809
Villager is waaaayyy too OP.

Give him a couple nerfs, like decrease how long the tree sprouting hitbox lasts, and maybe down his fair knockback a bit.

That is all from my end.
no. you heard it straight from sakurai. us villager mains will forever be stronk.

ProfessorTakehiko

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1736-0240-2597
Sakurai should have nerfed Ike & Ganondorf... But what he really needs to do is fix that communication error in that Gaur Plain stage. Most of the time when the game tries to load up the stage, all of a sudden, some people get disconnected. This happened to me before on the 3DS version, but I don't know about the Wii U version.

byebye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigByeBee
Why am I getting this confident feeling that there'll be one last balance patch when MewTwo arrives?

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
maybe if we all start using diddy in for glory and dominating, all the wins will make him balance diddy :G

Zeldark

Smash Rookie
The Tactician!! (Robin). Nooo!!

1) If Shulk and Little Mac get additions to their UI, PUT A LITTLE DOT above the Tactican's display. Purple if Nosferatu is out, yellow for thoron, red for fire, green for air. That way you know your move is gone instead of tracking the timer in your head like a robot OR essentially taunting when you meant to do a game changing move.

Even ROB gets the blinking light and Wario gets flashy stinky when the fart is ready. Have the Tactician glow if the move is down.

2) Let those moves do SOMETHING when they're depleted. If your levin sword is down you move in for a sword slash, you're still landing a blow and flinching opponent. If your Nosferatu is down you are at point blank range doing absolutely nothing.

Combine not knowing your move is still down with the move doing absolutely nothing when it is, and the tactician will never reach full potential.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
At least there is one good thing about this news; your replays won't be at risk anymore.

Anyway, it's pretty much sad how Rosalina's potential got screwed over by Smash 3DS's 1.0.4 patch update, as it's not like she was unbeatable before the update anyway.

the101

Smash Journeyman
Outside Bandai Namco Studios with Binoculars...
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
Personally, I 'm okay with this. Part of my intentions with each installment is to at least be adequate as all of the characters on the roster. In spite of tier listings I find that all of the fighters having promising potential. Do I play a pretty good Sheik, Zero Suit Samus, and Diddy Kong? Yes. But I also have had many winning streaks as say Olimar and Kirby. If you want to be good as a character I suggest you play as them to develop a strategy as that character. If you wait for a patch to make an already balanced and good character "better" because you can't seem to get good with them as they are, you are not going to get far. The same can be said about waiting for your opponent's fighters to be nerfed.

Sen. Sawft

Professional Laundry Folder
NNID
Sawft
3DS FC
4940-6793-4197
Oh. Good. I've always wanted to fight a thousand Diddy Kongs every tournament from here on out.

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
After Patch v.1.0.4 removed a few glitches and techniques from Smash 4, the some of the Smash community adopted the mantra "in before patch." Whenever someone found a powerful technique or interesting idea, many expected to see it patched out immediately. However, it appears that creator Masahiro Sakurai has no further plans to patch the game at all, outside of updates to improve online functionality.

Hoping your character will get buffed like Shulk did? You're out of luck.

In an interview from Famitsu, Sakurai made it clear he felt balancing the game was no longer necessary. Here is a translated portion of said interview, provided by EventHubs.

In the future, do you plan on adjusting or balancing the game further through a patch?

Sakurai: We don't have any such plans, but at the very least we will be working on a few things connected to the online play experience, bit by bit.

If we were to do something like tweak characters' customized special moves, then there'd be no end to it. But with that said, if there are any glaring issues, we may address them.

That's because with customized special moves or items, you can only play with them enabled online with players who are in your friends list, isn't that right?

Sakura: When playing with your personal friends, I think it's probably more interesting that you can almost cheat a little through customizing your character. *Laughs*

See the untranslated interview scan here.

---

What do you think about this being the final version of Smash 4? Were there other changes you had hoped to see? Make your voice heard in the comments below!

The Derrit is still sifting through writer's applications! If you haven't heard back, don't worry! He's getting to it! Chat with him on Twitter at @TheDerrit.

I'm gonna need some clarification on this. Does this imply that he's not going to patch in local / online tournament mode and custom level sharing like he said he was going to??

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Hoping your character will get buffed like Shulk did? You're out of luck.
*sigh* Well, I hoped for too much for Charizard this time in Smash 4... At least his Rock Slide tech will be staying, but...

KERO

Smash Journeyman
As a Greninja main, this feels like a pretty big punch. I firmly believe that Greninja was given the most detrimental nerfs of any of the characters in the 1.0.4 patch, and if this translation is accurate, he's now stuck with them. He's still a good character, but this really does feel like a case of hit and run.

That said, I'll keep my rage reserved until we have a full and accurate translation. Even then, I'll still have a naive hope of yearly patches.

Bilbao

Smash Rookie
NNID
sebastian.bilbao
3DS FC
2122-6607-0665
ok... this is sad. You have possibilities to evade a Fox up air in melee but not a ****ing Diddy up air after a down throw

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I keep hearing that Sakurai would tackle problem cases like Diddy and Luigi.

Overreactboards strikes again. Vectoring, gemnatsu, the first two 3DS patches...

Spaceman

twitch.tv/spacemanstream
NNID
youlosttotoadgg
3DS FC
3497-1911-1309
This is very disappointing for me. As for now the game is pretty fair, aside for some BS here and there, but I suppose players will just need to adapt. I feel like it's him being a little lazy; because new techs will be discovered and people will utilize them to their avail.

But he did say any major things would be fixed, so I'm glad he at least addressed that much. It's a shame though.

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
I gave up on trying to like this game a long time ago, but this still upsets me.
On the other hand, I can finally openly laugh at anyone who expected Nintendo to actually cater to the competitive community. They could barely even pretend to care for 3 months after the game's release. As little as I've expected from Nintendo in regards to this game, this surprises even me.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Patches will keep coming, just not BALANCE changes (apparently). Remember that this might be a bad translation/exaggeration
i said balance patching

i hope it's a mistranslation

i don't even care if they're not major patches, just bring the terrible characters in line with the really good ones and I'll be happy

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
When playing with your personal friends, I think it's probably more interesting that you can almost cheat a little through customizing your character.
NO ONE noticed this sentence? THAT'S my personal highlight of this interview.

LyonDRC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LyonDRC
So no buffs for Marth, huh? -sigh- that's sad...

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I gave up on trying to like this game a long time ago, but this still upsets me.
On the other hand, I can finally openly laugh at anyone who expected Nintendo to actually cater to the competitive community. They could barely even pretend to care for 3 months after the game's release. As little as I've expected from Nintendo in regards to this game, this surprises even me.
Lol, you were never going to like the game. Rather then be a party pooper, go play and talk about games you like.

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
"Final Balance Patch". Totally not Sakurai just saying this before discovery/realisation of how unbalanced some of the unbalanced parts of the game are, like Diddy.

I keep hearing that Sakurai would tackle problem cases like Diddy and Luigi.
I'm genuinely asking, what makes Luigi a problem case?

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
I really hope this was mistranslated. Because there's one glaring issue to me (not that important, but it's a glaring issue):

Link's custom neutral :GCB:, Power Arrow, is a loooooot slower in Sm4shU than in Sm4sh3D. It should be fixed, otherwise I consider it kind of a gamechanger.

Of course, nobody's ever going to play a Sm4shU version against a Sm4sh3D version, but I'd like to consider it the same game, you know? :\

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I don't mind at all about this though I don't see what was the whole point of the 1.0.4 balancing patch considering the game was already perfect before that patch.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
He feels like no more balancing is necessary? Well, that's a pretty damn bold statement considering how the game hasn't been out that long. Glad to know Sakurai legitimately thinks he can get balancing such a complex game right the second try. He has such a fantastic track record, after all.

Not.

Last edited:

Melonfrog

Smash Apprentice
Damn shame. Greninja will never return to his former glory, Diddy Kong will mass produce players and For Glory will be a complete stressfest. With bananas.

The joy.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Diddy kong and R.O.B. Down throw+Upair combo are coming my friend.
Diddy for top tier...

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
He feels like no more balancing is necessary? Well, that's a pretty damn bold statement considering how the game hasn't been out that long. Glad to know Sakurai legitimately thinks he can get balancing such a complex game right the second try. He has such a fantastic track record, after all.

Not.
He didn't say that... He goes on to say that he'll balance specific characters like :4diddy: in the future.

SuperHyperMegaTurbo

Smash Cadet
While I think the game is proving pretty well balanced as it is across the board (but not in some cases... yes, of course, Diddy Kong...), I don't think it's great that balance patches aren't really in consideration, supposedly.
It would be one thing to say that they're going to try to keep changes to a minimum, but saying that they're basically going to be avoiding any changes unless something really awful is found? I think they should at least plan to reserve this verdict until they've watched the game unfold for several months, at least.
It hasn't even been a month with this patch, after all...

As for Diddy Kong himself, I think he could use a nerf, but he's not untouchable. There are other characters that would fill the top tier if he were nerfed down a bit, and things would still be basically the same for most of the characters... though, personally, I do think his shenanigans are pretty dumb.

Should Diddy be nerfed? Probably, I'd say... but there are a lot of characters it wouldn't help even if it did happen... we need more buffs like what happened to Shulk to help some characters who are having a hard time...

Top Bottom