• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Accept your character's weaknesses

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
I consider this very important to all who want to be highly competitive smash players.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltqgP-Xgceg

This topic is obviously different than most in the Melee discussion in that I'm linking to a video (well, actually it's all audio, but it's uploaded on youtube), but this topic is decidedly a topic that belongs in this thread. All that happens in the video is discussion of what I'm referring to here.

I CAN type all of this up and get it into written form if you all really want me to, but I'd say just check out the youtube link.

Anyways, I consider this important, so listen up.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
too good gimpy, i'm looking forward to more of these.

i have a question for you:

What sort of things do you look for as your weeknesses? It can't simply be, for example, "i get grabbed easily."

What do you look for in your play to answer WHY "i get grabbed easily?"

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
And yet no Brawl Talk Episode 2 >_>

One of the biggest problems with trying to advance as a character is most people assume that if they work hard enough they can make a bad character good(see Ike brawl boards or Pichu Melee boards) The fact of the matter is that many characters are bad and will remain bad even when played to their fullest potential.

But thats just the low tiers. There's also the high tier users and they too usually have trouble advancing their character very far as they assume that by playing the top/high tier character they are simply going to win against everyone who doesn't do the same. Playing Fox doesn't automatically mean you'll win. Fox has HUGE weaknesses, most of which are derived from his ridiculous hitstun. If you don't accept that you you have this weakness as Fox you instantly create a mental sandbag. If, say, you're playing as Fox against DK on FD and simply think, "Well, all I have to do is shoot enough lasers, then Uthrow to Uair" without thinking "If I get grabbed, Im ****ED" Your more likely to make a mistake. You have to realize, accept and then work with/around your weaknesses before you can ever expect to actually get good.

On a side note, there is also no harm in learning a second or even a third character. I understand the need to have a main, but if you really want to win you shouldn't simply solo a character.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
I'm sorry Gimpy, but its too far indoctrinated into the Ness player mind that Ness has no limitations and is the unrecognized best character.

There is nothing anyone can do about that...it would be like trying to eliminate Christianity from the world.

CaptainCrunch

Smash Ace
And yet no Brawl Talk Episode 2 >_>
Fox has HUGE weaknesses, most of which are derived from his ridiculous hitstun. If you don't accept that you you have this weakness as Fox you instantly create a mental sandbag. If, say, you're playing as Fox against DK on FD and simply think, "Well, all I have to do is shoot enough lasers, then Uthrow to Uair" without thinking "If I get grabbed, Im ****ED" Your more likely to make a mistake. You have to realize, accept and then work with/around your weaknesses before you can ever expect to actually get good.
I used to have that exact mindset before hungrybox just pulled out bowser and owned me. I had thought of it as stupid before the match and that he had no chance of winning. Of course I was wrong, and realized that there was more to being a smasher then high tiers. That's when i took to playing pichu on the side. I figured if i could beat someone with pichu I could beat them with fox. Good speech gimpy, it needed to be said.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
A bit self indulgent but informative non the less, good job.
the best examples i can give are examples of things i've experienced, sorry XD

"i used to be bad, now i'm pretty good, heres a reason, you should try this"

is this not an acceptable way to give this kind of information?

XD

Gamer2774

Smash Cadet
Great Speech Gimpy, This may acutally help me get better.

BTW Can anybody give me advice on how to be a good mario user.

Garuda

Smash Ace
Denial... I never really thought of that. I was too caught up in how well I play as Ganondorf, but I guess I sort of naturally take his strengths and try to avoid his weaknesses as much as possible. He's strong and a little flexible, but his slow speed and large frame makes him easy to combo. Obviously the same with Bowser.

Mental barriers is what I've been going through all my life, and this shed some light for me.

Lightning Ice

Smash Journeyman
Great video, I wish people would realize that there is a limit to how you can play with your character in some aspects. No matter what you do Kirby will always die and fairly low percents compared to other characters and Bowser won't magically be wavedashing around like Luigi just because you picked up the controller. Every character has something they're good at at something they aren't good at and you as a player have to be able to realize this. Basically just what you said, every character has weaknesses.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Gimpy made me realize how little I know about playing competitive smash.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
So you posted on Youtube to get a larger audience?

Awesome, I accept Zelda isn't good. But I don't care, shes fun :D

-Onyx

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
that speach i have opend up my eyes. thanks for the answer i have been searching for for along time.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
well, i sort of posted on youtube to get a larger audience, this is geared towards the up and coming players afterall, but i'd hope everyone on my list already has an account here and is actively pursuing ways to become better

Blackadder

Smash Master
Heheh.
That was worth the listen. I've known for a long time that Ganonbaby isn't the best character out there (He's Lower Middle Tier, if I remember) and I do like to play around these things.
But...maybe I'd forgotten that in recent months. I should really think on it. Hm.

Anywho, nice video. :)

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
My strategies are mostly based on mind games, as in I trick the person I'm facing to think I will do the same move they saw, but end up doing something diffrent. I play every character, but I play Kirby and Mario the best so I play them in tournments. Well, I did play the game ever since it came out, so I know who is easier to beat, and who takes time to beat. I just don't like the fact that why people can't predicted high or top tier characters.

The characters I stick with is balance characters, so my mains is as high as middle tiers, and my best character is bottom tier, (gawd I hate that word). Seeing how diffrent opponites fight, I can find they weakness in less than 30 or 60 seconds, that's how I play.

§leepy God

Smash Master
Well I accepted my characters weakness, becasue they saw my Ness a mile away before I did anything. I understand me getting owned by Marth, Fox, etc. but when I saw a DK beat me, that's when I said, "how is this possable," but it adds up, this person new all my character's weakness and I didn't pay atteion to them. :(

Lecto2007

Smash Lord
So true man hit the nail on the head. Link in melee is slow but work your way around it and use it to your advantage.

autobzooty

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes identifying your weakness is the hard part.

And sometimes there's nothing you can do about your weakness...

I guess it's a nice idea, but on the whole it's not really helping me have a breakthrough in my game. I already know that I'm supposed to play my strengths and do something about my weaknesses, but it's never that simple.

Lecto2007

Smash Lord
Sometimes identifying your weakness is the hard part.

And sometimes there's nothing you can do about your weakness...

I guess it's a nice idea, but on the whole it's not really helping me have a breakthrough in my game. I already know that I'm supposed to play my strengths and do something about my weaknesses, but it's never that simple.
So true we all dont have extraordianry sight that enables us to see what our weekness is when were playing against someone extremly good or if were trying our best but it just doesnt cut it.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
This is more one of those "show you the door" type things, most of the time you can do something about your weaknesses in some way, just be creative.

Also I might make a video to give a couple examples of weaknesses because it doesn't necessarily seem like everyone is getting it haha

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
From my perspective, each character has his own ups, downs, and strategies. I mean, I played Link because he has very useful projectiles, recovery, comboing ability, and strength, not because he's low tier. I play Captain Falcon now because he goes back to my old abilities of anticipation and speed. I think people play low tiered characters simply because they are the best fit for them. It's like you don't choose the character, the character chooses you. </yugioh bull****>

Igneous42

Smash Ace
I use Link. I'm not pro but I know his weakness is his downtime. That said I never really tried to go competitive with melee. By time I got really interested in Melee tournament play Brawl had already been announced. I might try to get into the competitive scene with Brawl. And whoever I choose to use I'll keep these tips in mind, thanks gimpy.

Banana_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
Well, I certainly enjoyed hearing this and it makes a lot sense.

I play Kirby (don't have much tournament experience yet, but some) and so far spent most of the time looking for what Kirby is good at...

Yup, that's hard...

I always knew Kirby pretty much sucked (yes, that joke never get's old :p) in Melee, still I chose not to focus on his weaknesses... which are many.

Maybe I indeed should focus on his weaknesses and stop looking for strengths, and try how I can actually incorporate these weaknesses to my advantages in my playstyle.

You made a lot of sense, Gimpy! I like it when people make sense. Sense is good ^-^

S2

Smash Lord
I was made painfully aware of both my character (sheik) and my own limitations at the very first tournament I went to.

It should be obvious that all player know this stuff, but I guess a lot don't. If you don't go to tournaments there are a lot of strats you'll never see, so its hard to know about these weaknesses until you learn the hard way (but at least then you can learn to cover them a little).

Top Bottom