• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U About Direct: That wasn't even every stage!

König Nickerchen

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KoenigNickerchen

This water is the same water like in the Pirate Ship Stage in Brawl but the sky looks very weird.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
To list them in order:

Battlefield
Big Battlefield
Final Destination
Mushroom Kingdom U
Mario Galaxy
Delfino Plaza
Mario Circuit (new)
Mario Circuit (Brawl)
Luigi's Mansion
Jungle Hijinks
DK64
Skyloft
Bridge of Eldin
Temple
Pyrosphere
Norfair
Port Town Aero Dive
Windmill stage (unknown stage, likely Yoshi related)
Yoshi's Island (Melee, otherwise known as "pipes")
Great Cave Offensive
Halberd
Orbital Gate
Lylat Cruise
Kalos Pokemon League
Onett
Coliseum
Castle Siege
Palutena's Temple
Skyworld
Gamer (WarioWare)
Garden of Hope
Town and City
Smashville
Fitness Room
Boxing Ring
Gaur Plains
75m
Wrecking Crew
Pilotwings
Wuhu Island
Windy Hill
Wily's Castle

Announced stages notably NOT on screen:

Pac Land
Miiverse
Stage Builder Stages

I count at a minimum of SEVENTEEN competitively solid stages out of this, and there may be more depending on things like how Wuhu Island and the mysterious Windmill stage work out and what so far unseen secret stages we have (also I didn't count Norfair, but come on guys, you know you love Norfair). This version's stage list is awesome.
Where in the world are you getting 17 from? I count about 10 at best.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Where in the world are you getting 17 from? I count about 10 at best.
17 was before the videos came out showing us some more of these stages in action. My count only rises.

Battlefield
Big Battlefield
Final Destination
Mushroom Kingdom U
Delfino Plaza
Mario Circuit (new)
DK64
Skyloft
Lylat Cruise
Orbital Gate
Halberd
Kalos Pokemon League
Castle Siege
Town and City
Smashville
Pilotwings
Wuhu Island
Windy Hill
Miiverse

That's 19 very tame stages we can more or less count on; at best, you might have concerns about a few hazards on Kalos, some minor disruptiveness on Orbital Gate, or the size of Big Battlefield or Windy Hill. None of these seem terribly likely to cause serious problems, and we have a lot more decent stages we can use as well like Pokemon Stadium 2 and Norfair (the regions that used these stages in Brawl had no problems). We're stage flush on Wii U; it's very clear.

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
Hope Mr. Game and Watch and Dog Hunt have new stages too! Really loving all new stages!

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
17 was before the videos came out showing us some more of these stages in action. My count only rises.

Battlefield
Big Battlefield
Final Destination
Mushroom Kingdom U
Delfino Plaza
Mario Circuit (new)
DK64
Skyloft
Lylat Cruise
Orbital Gate
Halberd
Kalos Pokemon League
Castle Siege
Town and City
Smashville
Pilotwings
Wuhu Island
Windy Hill
Miiverse

That's 19 very tame stages we can more or less count on; at best, you might have concerns about a few hazards on Kalos, some minor disruptiveness on Orbital Gate, or the size of Big Battlefield or Windy Hill. None of these seem terribly likely to cause serious problems, and we have a lot more decent stages we can use as well like Pokemon Stadium 2 and Norfair (the regions that used these stages in Brawl had no problems). We're stage flush on Wii U; it's very clear.
You're waaaaay too optimistic on legal stages here, and this is coming from someone who's impressed with the selection.

Norfair and Pokemon Stadium 2 will never happen. They're far too disruptive to gameplay to even be counterpicks.

Orbital Gate will never be legal. Just a minute of gameplay and you can it suffers from a lot of problems stages like Rainbow Cruise does - mainly in that it's the type of stage that will permit far too much gimping and advantage to aerially proficient characters. The stage looks far too based on surviving it whereas stages like Delfino and Skyloft at the very least have a stable platform that gives you ample time to get on and flee.

Windy Hill is large, irregularly designed, has springs that will probably ruin recovery, and the stage in general seems to have a huge bias towards horizontal or upper vertical KOs whilst being close to both of those blastlines. Reminds me of a larger Kongo Jungle from Melee.

Mario Circuit has a lot of wall bouncing issues and appears to have racers akin to an F-Zero stage like Port Town or Mute City. If they have a lot of knockback, it won't happen the same way Mute City wouldn't.

Congo Jungle 64 was banned in Melee/64. Not sure if this will continue to apply, but I'm going in the assumption that it is. I can see the top platforms being an issue if the upper blast lines are low enough.

Kalos appears to also be very disruptive, and the stage changes frequently. The two swords come down very fast, probably too fast to reasonably react if you're in the middle of grabbing somebody. The water form also has a clear walk-off portion, with disruptive water on top of it. I don't even think that's all the stage transformations. Probably better than Stadium 2, but will be a counterpick at absolute best.

Wuhu Island might be a counterpick, but it seems to have a lot of walk-off segments. That's never good for a competitive stage's chances. The beach seems to be less of a problem than the cliff, where the more defensive gameplay forces two player into a cramped space, with one sidebeing a pit, and the other being a walk off zone. Seems opportune for grab kills. We'll see.

Haven't seen enough of Mushroom Kingdom U to judge, but it depends on how it transitions.

After having seen footage of new stages and taking Miiverse into account, I'd take a guess that we have:

Neutral:

-Battlefield
-FD/Omegas
-Big Battlefield
-Lylat Cruise
-Smashville
-Town and City
-Miiverse

Counterpick:

-Castle Siege
-Halberd
-Skyloft
-Delfino Plaza
-Pilotwings

Big maybes are Kalos, DK64, and Wuhu Island. There are more than I thought after taking a bigger look, but I don't see it climbing to 19. This'll still be the most stage-heavy competitive Smash, and I enjoy the probably-to-be-banned stages anyway, so it's more or less a win-win.

There could also be more, but if we're just getting Melee stages from Brawl, I don't think any legal returning stages are left. Rainbrow Cruise has too many problems. Dream Land from the N64 version would be legal, but I'm not sure if they'll do that.

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Congo Jungle 64 was banned in Melee/64. Not sure if this will continue to apply, but I'm going in the assumption that it is. I can see the top platforms being an issue if the upper blast lines are low enough.
Konga Jungle is only banned in the Japanese Smash 64 metagame. (The only legal stage they operate with is Dreamland.) In the U.S., it's a counterpick ircc. Or a starter. Either way, nobody really picks it, but they do have the option to.

It is banned in Melee singles, but it is a counterpick in doubles. Again, it's just that it's very rarely picked.
I think there's a good chance for it to be banned in singles for the same reasons as in Melee, but we'll see how that develops. I won't take any major stance on it until we've had a good enough amount of time with it.

Wuhu Island might be a counterpick, but it seems to have a lot of walk-off segments. That's never good for a competitive stage's chances. The beach seems to be less of a problem than the cliff, where the more defensive gameplay forces two player into a cramped space, with one sidebeing a pit, and the other being a walk off zone. Seems opportune for grab kills. We'll see.
Delfino Plaza has segments with walk-offs as well. Three, in fact. Unless one of the segments is cataclysmicly disruptive, I think Wuhu Island will be all right so long as Delfino Plaza is considered fine as well. I see it as a solid counterpick, but, again, I don't really want to say anything too definitive just yet.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
It's not just the fact that Wuhu Island's cliff portion is walk off, but the cliff seems relatively confined. Like, I'm pretty sure it will result in KOs for one party the majority of the time players land there.

We'll see how it goes down, I guess.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Also, Wooly World looks like it maybe could work competitively. Not too sure.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I just really want Fountain of Dreams back more than any other stage. I've always loved that stage and if I could have only one back it would definitely be that one. The likes of Brinstar Depths, Four Side, and Kongo Jungle would all be really great to see return to. I'll be really disappointed in Kongo Jungle 64 is the only non-Brawl stage returning.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Fountain of Dreams was beautiful visually and musically and not frustrating in any way due to its neutrality. It's the one stage I want back and the one stage I'd be disappointed about if it didn't return. :c

zony514

Smash Apprentice
NNID
zoniken514
3DS FC
1633-5281-0428
I think this is just me but I'm kinda disappointed they brought back Kongo Jungle...I was way disappointed with Jungle Japes for the 3DS because the stage was too dark and I could hardly see anything as the stage is too small to fight! I just hate stages that you can't see anything because its too dark.

Anyways, since we know that Pac-Land may be a secret stage and Pokemon Stadium 2 returns, there might be more stages that can be secret stages I hope. But we don't know what would those stages be, anything new, anything returning. So I decided to bring up the stage infos that came from that now dead ToS leak. Just to inform you, I know this leak's already debunked, but some stages were lucky guesses and coincidences, so it won't be odd if there were more lucky ones to be chosen later on. I just brought this up as ideas, so no offenses please.

So here are the stages that came from the ToS leak...
Mario Galaxy / Mushroom Kingdom U / Bowser's Castle / Rainbow Cruise / Delfino Plaza / Luigi Mansion
Jungle Hijinx / Bramble Blast / Rumble Falls
Yoshi's Story / Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Game & Wario (Gamer) / Warioware
Skyloft / Forest Haven / Temple / Bridge of Eldin / Pirate Ship
Kalos Pokemon League / Nimbasa City / Pokemon Stadium 2
Pyrosphere / Tourian / Norfair
Palutena's Temple / Underworld / Skyworld
Coliseum / Castle Siege
Cookie Country / Mt. DeDeDe / Patch Land / Halberd
Great Fox (Orbital Gate) / Lyrat Cruise
Mute City / Port Town Aero Dive
Magicant / Onett
Garden of Hope / Distant Planet
Town & City / Smashville
Boxing Ring / Wii Fit Studio / Gaur Plains / Rhythm Heaven
Pilot Wings / Nintendo Land / NES Remix / Endless Ocean
Greenhouse / Flat Zone 2 / Gyromite / Shooting Gallery
Windy Hill / Wily Castle / Pac-Land
Among this list, here are the stages that was officially announces, alongside with the stages that were lucky enough to be chosen, or chosen as in coincidence...
Mario Galaxy / Mushroom Kingdom U / Delfino Plaza / Luigi Mansion
Jungle Hijinx / Gamer / Skyloft / Temple / Bridge of Eldin / Kalos Pokemon League / Pokemon Stadium 2
Pyrosphere / Norfair / Palutena's Temple / Skyworld / Coliseum / Castle Siege
Halberd / Orbital Gate / Lyrat Cruise / Port Town Aero Dive / Onett
Garden of Hope / Town & City / Smashville / Boxing Ring / Wii Fit Studio / Gaur Plains
Pilot Wings / Windy Hill / Wily Castle / Pac-Land
Next are the stages I think they won't be chosen further on...
Bowser's Castle / Rainbow Cruise / Bramble Blast / Rumble Falls / Tourian
Warioware / Yoshi's Story / Yoshi's Island (Melee) / Cookie Country / Mt. DeDeDe
Patch Land / Distant Planet / NES Remix / Endless Ocean / Mute City
And these are the left overs which I think there may be chances of being lucky guesses...
Forest Haven / Pirate Ship / Nimbasa City (or somewhere in Unova)
Magicant (probably Earthbound ver.) / Nintendo Land / Greenhouse (or Flat Zone 3)
Here are the reasons I chose these stages...
1. They should have a Toon Link based stages, and there is that G&W's Octopus pic that some people think it takes place in the ocean of the Pirate Ship which may be possible.
2. If the 3DS Pokemon stage have a Unova Pokemon League and Prism Tower (Lumiose Town), then the Wii U version should have the opposite since, which the Unova side should have a metropolitan stage. I was thinking Nimbasa can be because there are so many symbolic areas there, such as the Ferris Wheel.
3. G&W should have a new stage, and since the Greenhouse is a double-screened game, then Flat Zone 3 should be based on that. Plus since it's double-screened, they can use it as an enlarged stage for the 8-Player Smash.
4. There's already a Magicant in 3DS, but that's the MOTHER version or it. The Wii U version can be the Earthbound version as in a different background view.
5. The last direct said they're gonna bring most of the musics from 3DS to Wii U, so maybe those NES related musics like the Balloon Fight can be used for Nintendo Land.
6. I don't know about Gyromite and Shooting Gallery which I didn't added in, but they should add a new stage for ROB and Duck Hunt if possible...

So then...got any ideas?

Last edited:

Maniacmatt

Smash Rookie
I want Magicant on Wii U real bad, but don't you guys think it'd be unlocked at the beginning in this version like Ness is? It's not definitive, but it'd seem odd for them to be split up like that.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I want Magicant on Wii U real bad, but don't you guys think it'd be unlocked at the beginning in this version like Ness is? It's not definitive, but it'd seem odd for them to be split up like that.
Theres a chance because i spotted something that you guys missed even gamexplain

Whats the character under the franklin badge

More specially in the triangle area of the board game

Correct me if im wrong but is that a wingman from magicant

zony514

Smash Apprentice
NNID
zoniken514
3DS FC
1633-5281-0428
Theres a chance because i spotted something that you guys missed even gamexplain

Whats the character under the franklin badge

More specially in the triangle area of the board game

Correct me if im wrong but is that a wingman from magicant
Yup, that's Flying Man alright...wait, what's a Flying Man that's supposed to be in the 3DS version only doing there?

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I said this in the main stage discussion thread, but I wouldn't be surprised if every 3DS stage was in this version as well (or at least many more). Either way, there are still a bunch of stages we haven't seen yet.

Top Bottom