• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Abate's AMA

Shiv.

Smash Rookie
Abate is currently doing an AMA on reddit. There's some interesting questions about Weegee, and maybe you guys have some more stuff you want to ask him.

He also made a shoutout to Blue EG, so that's kinda cool.

Verda Stelo

Smash Apprentice
The things I'm remembering off the top of my head:
  • Abate says Luigi has noteworthy punishment out of power shield.
Personally I've been working on my power shield game too. It's surprisingly not too hard if you really slow down and focus on the timing in game. Punishing off of lasers is pretty simple, wd forward and hit them, but I haven't fully grasped punishment off of melee (heh) attacks. Can anybody link to Abate doing it in a match?
  • Abate is hoping to reveal some new technology this summer.
Hopefully Abate (or any other Luigis) can attend one of the majors this summer and do work. I'm planning on attending Summerfest so I'll see any of y'all there.

TobiasXK

Smash Ace
heard commentators talking about abate having a secret uair platform trick on the fight pitt (i think) stream.

does anyone know if that's just doing a fulljump uair so you stick on the platform instead of rising through it?

Verda Stelo

Smash Apprentice
They're either referring to a platform warp uair or a full hop uair landing. The platform warp has a thread elsewhere on these boards and it's probably the full hop uair landing anyway. You're pretty much right about what it is; some combination of environmental collision boxes and the way uair moves Luigi's hurtbox makes him land on the platform he's rising through and cancel the rest of the uair animation.

I don't really find myself in situations where I choose to use it very often, especially considering it forces you into an awkward L cancel timing and you can probably follow up a regular uair much more easily anyway. I'm not Abate though so if he wants to drop by and explain how he uses that would be pretty sweet.

Verda Stelo

Smash Apprentice
I realized just how safe going for the SJP really is on YS the other day. From the ground you can either land on the top platform, go to the ledge, or edge cancel on a side platform. Some kind of way to cancel it on a platform or something would be so great. The Luigi SmashMac.

Verda Stelo

Smash Apprentice
So we had a small tournament in Georgia yesterday and I experimented a little bit more with the uair platform thing. It's definitely useful. I was wrong about it being easier to follow up on a regular uair; l-cancelling the uair and wavedashing is much faster than floating back down for the punish. I suppose this reaffirms the fact that if you're not hitting your opponent you should never be in the air.

Last edited:

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
When I try it, it seems that the Uair don't hit above the plateform. so quiet useless in my opinion.
Unless there's some extra lag introduced somehow that I don't know of, a successfully L-canceled up-air platform cancel (what exactly is it supposed to be called?) should have less lag than a waveland onto the platform (7 frames instead of 10). It seems considerably less reliable to execute that a normal waveland though.

Top Bottom