• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Useful Needle trixie with Sheik.

kouryuuXfighter

Smash Ace
I came across the usefulness of this technique yesterday and decided I should make a thread on it. I believe that this will definitely be used in higher level of Sheik play and should not be overlooked.

Since you can't CC (crouch cancel) a dash in Brawl, most players use their shield to stop themselves in place and let go of shield to attack right after. However! Sheik has a little trick up her sleeve that can up her game and make her a little faster. The trick lies in charging her needles. In order for this to work, you can't have her needles fully charged.

Anyway, Sheik can cancel her dash by charging/using her needles. So if you want to ran up to your opponent and attack quickly: dash up to them, quickly charge then cancel your needles and then do any attack you wish to do. It's much faster than attacking out of shield. If you do it fast enough, the animation of Sheik charging her needles will barely show and it will almost look like you CCed your dash like in Melee.

There are many uses for this but the one that really stuck out for me was tech chasing and punishing your opponent more effectively for not teching. There are more but these two are the most notable ones, I think.

Well, hope this helps.

Edit: I just want to clarify that I am not trying to claim that I was the first to discover this technique. I just realized the usefulness of this technique that I figured it should not be overlooked and that it needs it's own thread. Just wanted to clarify and clear up any confusion.

Declan

Smash Apprentice
I haven't gotten to try this out but if it works in the way that you describe this is going to be extremely useful. I very often find myself wishing I good stop my run/dash animation like I was able to in melee.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
ooooOOOOOoooooo

just tried it
it works

but it'll require some practice haha

sheik officially has an "adjust distance length at will" dash dance game.

too good.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
...I was kind of iffy about the whole thing being faster as have hit neutral B and then shield but with Gimpy stamp of approve what can I really say?

Good job Kouryuu for making this public knowledge and helping Sheik meta game to become just a little bit better.

EDIT: Foward dash into ftilt = Broken.

ADHD

Smash Hero
I kind of knew this, I just didn't think it was useful, but I guess its almost as good as a single wavedash.

kouryuuXfighter

Smash Ace
...I was kind of iffy about the whole thing being faster as have hit neutral B and then shield but with Gimpy stamp of approve what can I really say?

Good job Kouryuu for making this public knowledge and helping Sheik meta game to become just a little bit better.

Thanks for the comment ^^

And yeah, Ftilt is the main attack I use out of a NDC (needle dash cancel) to punish missed techs. It is pretty broken vs some characters like Fox since it gets them in a Tilt Lock

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Nice. How long do you think it will take to completely merge this into your gameplay. I'm wondering how hard it is to perform consistently.
Doing this constantly isn't problem as it's super easy to do if you ever did needle turn around.

However, the biggest learn curve of this will be how to appropriately use this to it fullest advantage and since it's so fast the spacing alone will make it difficult to master ...quickly.

So about a month give or take a week or two.

sFoster

Smash Journeyman

Strange, because I've already mentioned this trick in two separate threads..
The latest was this one on dash canceling: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=171311

Squidster

Smash Ace
Foster mains link o.0?

As for this technique... its been mentioned but never had it's own thread. I never seriously tried it out till now and actually think this has prospects.

Plus it looks cool to dash and suddenly do a little dance, then quickly start breakdancing. Such a graceful fighter.

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
Foster mains link o.0?
Because of the Tri-force av?
Nah I am Zelda/Sheik who is represented by the triforce as well.

It's a pretty decent move to needle cancel out of a dash, but it's not going to change your entire gameplay. Basically just something that may come in handy situationally every now and then.

Tristan_win

Not dead.

It's a pretty decent move to needle cancel out of a dash, but it's not going to change your entire gameplay. Basically just something that may come in handy situationally every now and then.

I don't know sfoster I've been doing it into AAA combos and dsmashes and it seems to be pretty effective way of approaching.

Not to mention how useful it is for setting up tilt locks.

Squidster

Smash Ace

No because of the little link picture at the bottom that represents who you main.

But I guess I was wrong nm. Was going to be kind of shocked to here you switch from zelda. We should play again sometime.

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
No because of the little link picture at the bottom that represents who you main.

But I guess I was wrong nm. Was going to be kind of shocked to here you switch from zelda. We should play again sometime.
Oh, lol. Alright I changed that so it's accurate again.
Yeah I would be up for playing again, my Zelda is still evolving.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Needle turnarounds were way easier...Brawl's stupid sensitivity stuff with the R button makes it hard to charge one needle and then instantly pause >_>;

But I can see how it's useful!

Danimal197

Smash Apprentice
Dash cancel to f-tilt combos=win. Takes a significant amount of practice though, because the timing if you're trying to do it fast is wicked, especially because if you happen to be holding forward while attempting to use needles, you'll find yourself throwing out that nasty joke of a move chain, and as a result, likely charge smashed in the face. Same thing with d-tilt, only you'll be zelda...

Top Bottom