• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Traditional Fighting Game?

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Do you think there will ever be a chance of a traditional fighter, that akin to the King of Fighters, with Nintendo Characters ever occuring?

Would you want a traditional fighter with Nintendo characters?

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
To be perfectly honest, if I knew how to hack Brawl at all, I'd have a pretty good idea on how I'd make it myself.

I don't think there's ever a chance of being an official traditional fighting Smash Bros., but I still want to see or make Kart Fighter II.

BindingBlade

Smash Lord
I could see this happening depending on Nintendo's newer employee's ideas - Splatoon seems a step in the right direction (I have no knowledge of King of Fighters, is it like Street Fighter)?

Super Writer

Smash Apprentice
Perhaps, but I think it would be better on a smaller scale, like a spin off title for one of their IPs.
Personally I think an F-Zero fighting game would be amazing.

Renji64

Smash Lord
That would be cool i always wanted to see captain fight in a tradtional 2d fighter form. But nintendo is anti-competitive so i doubt that would ever happen.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Hmm, why would you even want that though? Smash has all the same basic mechanics and a whole lot more making for a much higher skill cap then a generic fighter.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
depends, i play smash because it doesn't have a lot of issues most TFG have... like always the same setting, and difficulty in getting uysed to the game.

i mean, smash had intuitive combos, outside of some of the slower brawl combos...

I think it would only happen if it were a "versus" project, like Nintendo vs. Capcom.

I would actually love to see someone mod, say, Brawl, to play like a traditional fighter. Flat stages only, remove multi-jumps, add health bars, allow only two players, and force them to face toward each other, among other such changes. Just to demonstrate such a thing!

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
I expect Nintendo to be involved in such a game. Whether it's just an IP or two, or an all-star fighters, is up in the air.

I would love to see Legend of Zelda VS Fire Emblem, or Nintendo VS Capcom. Between Capcom selling their IPs and losing any further involvement with Marvel, it would be to the benefit of at least one company.

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
A Soul Calibur type Zelda vs. Fire Emblem or Nintendo vs. Capcom would be a dream come true.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I would actually love to see someone mod, say, Brawl, to play like a traditional fighter. Flat stages only, remove multi-jumps, add health bars, allow only two players, and force them to face toward each other, among other such changes. Just to demonstrate such a thing!
Not all 2D fighters do away with the double jump. Also, I would like to suggest that percentage (separate from the healthbar) reset after every combo so as to keep the inherent reduction in infinites of the system present in Smash but prevent the long term increase in knockback that allows for so many ring outs.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I think the thing is with something like this, it is not done for the same reason as why we never see Link or Kirby or whoever in games like Mario Kart. Super Smash Bros is nintendo's crossover title and if they do anything else with a similar cast, its going to take away from what is Super Smash bros. If we're going to expect a traditional Nintendo fighting game, it's probably only going to be with say like a single franchise such as Pokemon, Fire Emblem, or Zelda.

Nintendo vs Capcom would be cool and all, but I honestly don't see something like that happening with Super Smash Bros around. Though, if this is the last game in the Super Smash Bros series, then maybe there's a chance for something like that. But until then, I don't see any other big Nintendo Crossover happening.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Not all 2D fighters do away with the double jump. Also, I would like to suggest that percentage (separate from the healthbar) reset after every combo so as to keep the inherent reduction in infinites of the system present in Smash but prevent the long term increase in knockback that allows for so many ring outs.
In addition, the stages would have to be shrunk or zoomed in so the fighters appear larger onscreen, and boxed in with invisible boundaries. The gravity would also have to be increased.

Like I said before, I do have ideas for this.

As for the double jump , I think it should be on a character by character basis, depending on who would still have the ability in a more at-home setting, like Yoshi, Samus, and Kirby.

Last edited:

pizzapie7

Smash Ace
All I've wanted for Christmas for years is a Pokemon fighter a la Marvel. Is that too much to ask, Nintendo and Game Freak?

Manty

Smash Rookie
A Nintendo x Capcom x Sega game is something I've wanted for a while. I could code it in mugen (which isn't bad, you can get things like Hyper DBZ when you put in the effort), but the sprite work doesn't exist and I have 0 artistic talent myself. Unfortunately it's a dream that I'll probably never be able to realize.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I really wouldn't care. I find traditional fighters to be some of the most boring, stale, and unintuitive games in existence. Unless they spiced it up, probably making it untraditional again.

Meh.

ChillySundance

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, why would you even want that though? Smash has all the same basic mechanics and a whole lot more making for a much higher skill cap then a generic fighter.
Not reaaaaally, I'd say It's lacking some things that define a true 2D fighting game.

Smash bros is more like a player vs player 2D side scrolling beat-em-up or platformer by function. In fact, it shares a lot of mechanical similarities to Sakurai's early Kirby games like Super Star in terms of how it operates. This allows Smash to have a pretty different set of rules compared to a standard fighter, such as greater freedom of movement and more nuanced use of moves, but in exchange you give up a few things too.

Unless it's got a rich high/mid/low defense system, a real okizeme game, and some sort of resource management system (ex bar, that sort of thing), it's lacking some really defining traits of a 'traditional' fighter.

Saying it has a higher skill cap than a more nuanced 2D fighter that actually supports and rewards advanced, high-level play such as Melty Blood or Guilty Gear is a bit of a crock too, imo. If you can grasp spatial control and memorize the intricacies of a small handfull of moves, you can play Smash well. You don't have to worry about things like crossups or fuzzy guards in smash, and most character's moves are a lot more straightforward in terms of design than those found in your typical Arc Systems fighter. Character complexity, too, is far more advanced in those games compared to Smash. As someone who plays both Smash and traditional fighters, particularly japanese fighters and japanese imitation fighters like Skullgirls, I can say that pretty confidently.

Smash Bros is actually a lot like Outfoxies, an older game that did platforming pvp first.

Last edited:

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
I think it would only happen if it were a "versus" project, like Nintendo vs. Capcom.

considering PM lucario, it would just be a matter of implementing a special bar system, maybe we could ignore that tho.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Smash Bros is actually a lot like Outfoxies, an older game that did platforming pvp first.
As a matter of fact, the Outfoxies was developed by Namco...

Just dropped in here to say that.

As for the topic itself, well, I don't enjoy traditional fighters that much, so I'm indifferent towards the idea.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'm not really interested in a traditional fighting game. I was never able to get into them, honestly. A lot of my friends play Street Fighter, Tekken and Mortal Kombat..., but those just aren't my cup of tea.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I wouldn't really want one, Smash is fine, but if it existed, I'd probably buy it.

I'm awful at traditional fighters, but I dunno, I've always found it extremely satisfying to beat the crap out people without physically attacking them.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
If made by Capcom: EEEEEEUGH!
If made by Netherrealm Studios: Hmm...maybe :D

But we're getting Pokken Fighters as Nintendo's response to traditional fighters anyway, I'm willing to bet it'll have all the annoying, obnoxious fighting game commands the FGC loves!

Renji64

Smash Lord
Not reaaaaally, I'd say It's lacking some things that define a true 2D fighting game.

Smash bros is more like a player vs player 2D side scrolling beat-em-up or platformer by function. In fact, it shares a lot of mechanical similarities to Sakurai's early Kirby games like Super Star in terms of how it operates. This allows Smash to have a pretty different set of rules compared to a standard fighter, such as greater freedom of movement and more nuanced use of moves, but in exchange you give up a few things too.

Unless it's got a rich high/mid/low defense system, a real okizeme game, and some sort of resource management system (ex bar, that sort of thing), it's lacking some really defining traits of a 'traditional' fighter.

Saying it has a higher skill cap than a more nuanced 2D fighter that actually supports and rewards advanced, high-level play such as Melty Blood or Guilty Gear is a bit of a crock too, imo. If you can grasp spatial control and memorize the intricacies of a small handfull of moves, you can play Smash well. You don't have to worry about things like crossups or fuzzy guards in smash, and most character's moves are a lot more straightforward in terms of design than those found in your typical Arc Systems fighter. Character complexity, too, is far more advanced in those games compared to Smash. As someone who plays both Smash and traditional fighters, particularly japanese fighters and japanese imitation fighters like Skullgirls, I can say that pretty confidently.

Props for the melty blood mention. Brawl doesn't require any higher skill at be to good at it.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
I like Smash being its own thing, but I have nothing against traditional fighters. I just feel that variety is more important to games than conformity is.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Personally, I think a "traditional" version of Smash should be like Tekken. Because Tekken is awesome.

Or like Melty Blood.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
If made by Capcom: EEEEEEUGH!
If made by Netherrealm Studios: Hmm...maybe :D

But we're getting Pokken Fighters as Nintendo's response to traditional fighters anyway, I'm willing to bet it'll have all the annoying, obnoxious fighting game commands the FGC loves!
Isn't Pokken still just a tech demo? Sure, they registered a trademark, but they also registered Pokemon AquaBlue and Grey.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
If Pokken fighters turns out to be what I think it's going to be, that will solve all my needs for a nintendo based traditional fighter.

Hell, if they decided to even make Pokken fighters play like some untraditional anime fighter like NUNS I would STILL be okay with that.

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
If Pokken fighters turns out to be what I think it's going to be, that will solve all my needs for a nintendo based traditional fighter.

Hell, if they decided to even make Pokken fighters play like some untraditional anime fighter like NUNS I would STILL be okay with that.
A NUNS-esque Pokken Fighters would be the best thing ever, NUNS has to be one of the most exciting fighting games I've ever played.

Last edited:

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
I was hoping this thread was about how smash 4 seems to play more like a traditional fighter with the focus on ground game and a few other changes.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
I rather not have CAPsule COMputers crossover with Ninty, especially if it's the current Crapcom.

Really, I want a Nintendo-based traditional fighter in the same vein as this.

Top Bottom