• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A theory about trophies and DLC

Farrac

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if someone has already posted this idea before, but I guess I will talk about it anyway.

I've been thinking for a while that DLC characters might be a thing, in some way or another, so naturally I thought there might be a way to guess who those characters are, in case they are planned already. My theory is that, considering that characters' trophies are obtained by beating classic mode, maybe those potential DLC characters don't have trophies representing them yet. For example, if we were to say that Ridley is a DLC character then, according to this theory, there would not be a Ridley trophy to be found in the game. We all know there's no way Sakurai would not create a Ridley trophy, so there you have it (granted, there's the wii u version, but still)

So I thought about creating a thread were people can discuss this theory and search for trophies of potential characters. For example, there's this rumour about Dixie Kong, Ridley, Mewtwo and Chorus Men being unlocked by linking the game with the Wii U version, so we could start by looking for their trophies.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I think we should dedicate this thread to finding said trophies. It actually makes sense...

Last edited:

Farrac

Smash Apprentice
I think we should dedicate this thread to finding said trophies. It actually makes sense...
Yes, that is the idea. Many people have the game already, so this shouldn't be that difficult

Last edited:

Twewy

Smash Lord
In a way, I'm kind of hoping characters already with trophies can become DLC. I'd download Rayman DLC, for sure.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Go for it, as long as I get my French limbless nutcase.

Farrac

Smash Apprentice
So apparently Dixie Kong is a trophy

Last edited:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
I think characters with regular trophies could still become DLC. I don't think Sakurai would outright close off the chance for Wolf, Ivysaur, and Squirtle returning

4theRECORD

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2878-9708-8635
I have a small theory about this.

Remember how hard it was to unlock Mewtwo's trophy in Brawl, yet this time Wolf's trophy was obtainable from the beginning?
This gave me the idea that characters with easy-to-obtain trophies may have their trophies changed to something else. If there is a trophy of a veteran, Sakurai'd put him a somewhat difficult goals. But if the trophy is removed later on due to DLC, you'll be spoiled of all your hard work. So, he'd put trophies of DLC-possibilities easy to obtain, so it wouldn't be much of a ruckus when he's upgraded.

Yeah I'm probably in denial about wolf's cut, but hey, one can dream, right?

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Ill just say one thing:

If there is DLC for Mario Kart 8.... it makes A LOT of sense that Nintendo WILL have DLC for their main generation title.

And from an economical POV they should. Why? because it means money in one way or another.

Sakurai can say all what he wants about being a completionist... but times have changed and the way enterprises do business too. DLC is a good way to make money, even when some dont like it... a lot of people buy DLC content

Im pretty sure this will not limit just to ptches... but to actual characters and other gameplay goodies. It would be dumb not to, and waste this chance to get more money from customers.

Think about it for a second.

strawhatninja

Smash Ace
NNID
hecticzacattack
3DS FC
4441-9826-4993
I don't think there being a trophy of someone like Wolf, Dixie, Rayman, deconfirms them as DLC. They can easily update the game to change the trophy or make it change to being unlocked when they beat classic mode.

Beatness

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Beatness
3DS FC
5412-9896-3151
Plans for DLC are probably made after completion of the game from the sound of it, so I don't think whether or both trophies exist of a character really matter. In fact, I'd say that a character has better chances for DLC if they're a trophy, because it shows that they have some significance.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
It's highly possible that the trophies of potential DLC characters (e.g. Wolf, Dixie) could just be included in the game as "alternate" or "archive" trophies. So you can have the trophy that shows off Wolf as a collectible trophy and then there would be a completely separate one with a new model and a different description; likely the description would refer more so to their role in Smash and give different information about the character.

To wit: I recall there being an Assault Falco (I think that's a thing? Please correct me if I'm wrong here) trophy and an Outset Link trophy in Brawl, so it's highly possible to have trophies to collect by winning/purchasing them and trophies to earn by clearing certain modes with the respectrive characters.

Last edited:

Farrac

Smash Apprentice
It's highly possible that the trophies of potential DLC characters (e.g. Wolf, Dixie) could just be included in the game as "alternate" or "archive" trophies. So you can have the trophy that shows off Wolf as a collectible trophy and then there would be a completely separate one with a new model and a different description; likely the description would refer more so to their role in Smash and give different information about the character.

To wit: I recall there being an Assault Falco (I think that's a thing? Please correct me if I'm wrong here) trophy and an Outset Link trophy in Brawl, so it's highly possible to have trophies to collect by winning/purchasing them and trophies to earn by clearing certain modes with the respectrive characters.
I get what you mean. However, in the case of Brawl it was "Assault Falco" after all, rather than Falco himself. But yeah, your point is valid.

Devil G.

Smash Apprentice
I've been thinking this for a while now. It may be the case after all.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Mario Kart 8 was released in May 30 or 29 I don't remember. In July they revealed mercedez DLC. Mercedez DLC was released in Agust 26-29 don't remember. When mercedez DLC was released they revelead even more DLC!!!

So Smash gonna have DLC in 2015 but my gawd, where the hell is Isaac, Bandana Dee and MK II,I There still M.I.A. and the Chorus Kids are still M.I.A. Mewtwo too.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Would be a wasted cash grab for Nintendo/Sora/Namco to not take. Its just a matter of how its used and for how long. If we get the Capcom treatment, there will be an uproar.

My theory as stated in a previous thread: DLC MIGHT be in the form of Amiibos.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Currently M.I.A:
- Ice Climbers
- Lucas
- Pichu
- Roy (lol)
- Ridley
- Mewtwo
- Chorus Men/Marshall
- Snake (he's not coming back)

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I wouldn't be so sure about Snake. His voice actor was credited after all....
I would doubt it myself, but we know how Kojima himself requested him for Brawl, so it's possible.

Voice actor - source?

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
I wouldn't be so sure about Snake. His voice actor was credited after all....
I never saw proof of this, but pretty sure he does another voice.

:4greninja:'d - Does Samurai Goroh, apparently.

Currently M.I.A:
- Ice Climbers
- Lucas
- Pichu
- Roy (lol)
- Ridley
- Mewtwo
- Chorus Men/Marshall
- Snake (he's not coming back)
Roy didn't even have a trophy in Brawl. Though, now he's a recolor, so maybe he will this time.

Last edited:

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627
So any further word on trophies? I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen Ridley and Mewtwo yet.

CJReynz1492

Smash Rookie
Plans for DLC are probably made after completion of the game from the sound of it, so I don't think whether or both trophies exist of a character really matter. In fact, I'd say that a character has better chances for DLC if they're a trophy, because it shows that they have some significance.
You're right. If ridelys trophy isn't found, it's definitely because he's not a very significant nintendo character.

NintendoPSX

Smash Journeyman
According to another thread the game is 17,300 blocks or so but when downloading it, it was only 9.000 something. So that's about a good 990 something of block space not used. I think DLC is safely confirmed.

Top Bottom