• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A technique that desperately needs more exposure

DC| Reset Bomb Jigglypuff

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yayforall
3DS FC
3007-8110-9759
Apparently, a youtuber called ShinySaber discovered a technique that pretty much replicates dash dancing, and he named it dance trotting (for obvious reasons).
He explains the technique in this video : http://youtu.be/LISSQnPoio0

This is a technique that desperately needs more exposure, spread the word!

brownzombie

Smash Cadet
NNID
BrownZombie
Thanks for the heads up! Definitely going to start practicing and incorporating this technique.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Isn't Dance trotting's technique similar to Pivoting that was mentioned long ago? But is that you still keep the same direction you are facing, Pivoting is that you can even go backward but not facing the same direction.

Last edited:

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
This doesn't "Pretty much replicate dash dancing." What it does is:

1. Permit dash dancing at longer (but still very rigid) distances. Still a far cry from Melee dash dancing, which could occur at any time during the initial dash animation.
2. Permit instantaneous turnaround during a dash while fox-trotting. Useful, but not related to dash dancing at all.

Overall, it's a good technique for a select few characters with good foxtrots, but nothing universally game changing.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yayforall
3DS FC
3007-8110-9759
This doesn't "Pretty much replicate dash dancing." What it does is:

1. Permit dash dancing at longer (but still very rigid) distances. Still a far cry from Melee dash dancing, which could occur at any time during the initial dash animation.
2. Permit instantaneous turnaround during a dash while fox-trotting. Useful, but not related to dash dancing at all.

Overall, it's a good technique for a select few characters with good foxtrots, but nothing universally game changing.
Didn't dash-dancing rely on the initial dash too? Also, you can pivot or jump out of it at any time, so there is still a lot to be had here.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Not really, it has a certain fake-out potential that perfect pivots don't have.
I think Dance trotting is more easy for beginners to learn, and more better to use on the 3DS too. You can say that Dance trotting is sort of a"warm up" for do Pivoting. Because I saw pivoting was also mentioned in the video.

Last edited:

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yayforall
3DS FC
3007-8110-9759
Okay, I want to put a few things into perspective:

1. I don't think that the usefulness of this technique is determined by how good of a foxtrot character x has, but how long, and how much of that character's hurtbox is moved upon turnaround.

2. Most chars do have long ones, and almost everyone has a lot of their hurtbox moved by significant amounts.

RIP_Lucas

Smash Apprentice
Will this revolutionize the competitive scene? No, but it does seem useful. Quickly moving in then out then back in is useful, and if this does it better than perfect pivoting or just rolling backwards out of dash for some characters, it'll be worth learning. Gonna need some frame data and distance of pivot for each one before I make a full judgement, but at very least, worth bringing up

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
Didn't dash-dancing rely on the initial dash too? Also, you can pivot or jump out of it at any time, so there is still a lot to be had here.
Dash dancing in Smash 4 requires you to change your direction during a very small window at the start of the dash animation. Dash dancing in Melee just requires you to change your direction at any time during the dash animation, before it transitions into the run animation (in other words, the entire length of a foxtrot).

This technique does not allow you to change direction at any time during the initial dash. You can still only change direction immediately after initiating a dash, or the second (third, fourth, etc.) time you initiate the dash, after you've done a full foxtrot. In other words, you can still only change directions after a whole number of foxtrots. It doesn't have the flexibility of Melee dash dancing at all.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yayforall
3DS FC
3007-8110-9759
Dash dancing in Smash 4 requires you to change your direction during a very small window at the start of the dash animation. Dash dancing in Melee just requires you to change your direction at any time during the dash animation, before it transitions into the run animation (in other words, the entire length of a foxtrot).

This technique does not allow you to change direction at any time during the initial dash. You can still only change direction immediately after initiating a dash, or the second (third, fourth, etc.) time you initiate the dash, after you've done a full foxtrot. In other words, you can still only change directions after a whole number of foxtrots. It doesn't have the flexibility of Melee dash dancing at all.
You can still cancel a foxtrot (and therefore, a dance trot) at any time with a pivot( I.E. Canceling the first few frames of a turnaround with a forward smash, side b, or forward tilt) or a jump input.

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
You can still cancel a foxtrot (and therefore, a dance trot) at any time with a pivot( I.E. Canceling the first few frames of a turnaround with a forward smash, side b, or forward tilt) or a jump input.
No, you cannot cancel it at any time with a pivot. The window for executing a perfect pivot is exactly the same as the window for executing a dash dance. You can only do it in a very small window after initiating a dash. Like dance trotting, this means that you can perfect pivot after a whole number of foxtrots, but you cannot perfect pivot in the middle of the dash animation.

Edit: Oh, I see - you didn't mean perfect pivot. You're right that you can cancel the dash into a pivot tilt/smash, but only f-tilt and f-smash, and only in the opposite direction you were going, which is very situational, since it means your opponent was basically just running very predictably into your dash dance.

Last edited:

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yayforall
3DS FC
3007-8110-9759
Edit: Oh, I see - you didn't mean perfect pivot. You're right that you can cancel the dash into a pivot tilt/smash, but only f-tilt and f-smash, and only in the opposite direction you were going, which is very situational, since it means your opponent was basically just running very predictably into your dash dance.
The whole use for it is that you go in to bait an attack, fade back, and punish if they decided to throw something laggy. If not, run back and reset to neutral.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
Goddangit another technique to learn for this game...but hey if this will improve my game i'm definitely gonna learn it

RIP_Lucas

Smash Apprentice
Goddangit another technique to learn for this game...but hey if this will improve my game i'm definitely gonna learn it
I mean, it doesn't appear to be necessary, the mix up potential seems minimal and the defensive potential can be done to similar affect by spot dodging our shielding

If it's good, it's good because it's another tool to use that might catch people off guard

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Its less useful that Melee dash dancing for sure, but I can see uses for this. Especially combined with grabs.

its also really easy to do.

Last edited:

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Zero, Mr R, False, Will and a lot of other players have been using this since Brawl, just fyi. So i wouldnt say the creator of the video "discovered" it unless he actually did. This isnt anything new. Which is probably why it isnt getting much "exposure", a lot of people know this old Brawl tech.

Its like if someone made a video on B-reversing, it would definitely spread awareness to those who dont know it, but it wouldnt get much exposure because its a well known thing.

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
We've known about this for quite a long time. The only reason people aren't really using it as heavily as dash dancing is because it's just not as useful. You have a strict time and distance you're allowed to go in either direction, you can't immediately do as many actions out of it, and it just isn't as beneficial given the mechanics of this game. Good in some matchups, but not really in a lot of the ones that actually matter. Namely, any in which they can easily and safely outspace you. So lots of the high tiers, Rosalina/Diddy etc, aren't going to be bothered by this.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Isn't this Brawl's Trot Dancing?
Did the video get the name backwards, those Germans and their backward language!

But, yeah, probably could be more known-about/used.

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
The whole use for it is that you go in to bait an attack, fade back, and punish if they decided to throw something laggy. If not, run back and reset to neutral.
That's certainly not useless, but it's very misleading to say that this techniqe 'replicates dash dancing'. It does nothing of the sort.

Judo777

Smash Master
That looks like fox trotting........ is it not? Looks like you are initiating a dash, then canceling the end of the dash by starting another dash in the same or opposite direction...... isn't that a fox trot?

Inger

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kalificus
3DS FC
1349-5584-0682
It makes me look flashy and stylish, thats all I need. *Dons 80's sunglasses, foxtrots into sunset*

No, you cannot cancel it at any time with a pivot. The window for executing a perfect pivot is exactly the same as the window for executing a dash dance. You can only do it in a very small window after initiating a dash. Like dance trotting, this means that you can perfect pivot after a whole number of foxtrots, but you cannot perfect pivot in the middle of the dash animation.

And once again we see the detriments from whoever the genius was who decided it would be a good idea to call "skidding" in smash 4 "pivoting"

Every

time

Anyway on topic this seems cool

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
That looks like fox trotting........ is it not? Looks like you are initiating a dash, then canceling the end of the dash by starting another dash in the same or opposite direction...... isn't that a fox trot?
You can normally start another dash in the same direction faster than you can start a dash in the opposite direction. But this tech allows you to start a dash in the opposite direction just as quickly, by reversing your second foxtrot with a dash dance.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Another technique that overcomplicates the neutral game. This might have a few uses here and there, but it's hardly a game changer. Learn to walk, people.

And no Bowser in their right mind would go for FSmash on a charging opponent.

Last edited:

Judo777

Smash Master
You can normally start another dash in the same direction faster than you can start a dash in the opposite direction. But this tech allows you to start a dash in the opposite direction just as quickly, by reversing your second foxtrot with a dash dance.
I was unaware there was a difference in which way you chose to fox trot. If so my bad.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Apparently, a youtuber called ShinySaber discovered a technique that pretty much replicates dash dancing, and he named it dance trotting (for obvious reasons).
He explains the technique in this video : http://youtu.be/LISSQnPoio0

This is a technique that desperately needs more exposure, spread the word!
This tech is already seen in high level play quite often. Nairo actually uses this a lot a lot with his Pit, since pit has an amazing Dash attack, Good dash Grab, and can mix in a Side Special.
Its simply very restrictive as compared to melees dash dancing and so more easily punished if done for prolonged periods.

Boigahs

Smash Rookie
Looks cool, if not pretty basic. I really enjoy the footsie game in Smash 4.
Another technique that overcomplicates the neutral game. This might have a few uses here and there, but it's hardly a game changer. Learn to walk, people.

And no Bowser in their right mind would go for FSmash on a charging opponent.
I don't think this is comparable to walking in and out. Doing this will get a different reaction from your opponent (I'm assuming you want to trick your opponent into reacting to a dash-in.) I definitely wouldn't say that this is overcomplicating the neutral game in any sense. Hell, you yourself said it only has a few uses.

Last edited:
Top Bottom