• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A teardown of stages in ultimate, legality, and a grouping system for how we stage strike

punkonjunk

Smash Cadet
NNID
punkonjunk
3DS FC
3480-2775-5641
Switch FC
Sw-7819-1079-8971
Hi All! I've been here a while but I don't post much.

I've been pretty involved in the smash 4 community for a while, and very excited for ultimate. I'm a little saddened by a lot of the rulesets getting posted, so having put about 40 hours into the game in competative 1v1 and 2v2 matches, I've written up stages that should or could be legal in my oppinion, and a way to organize, strike and ban a large stage list.

Here it is.

I'd love any feedback you have! I think even if this isn't perfect, it's on the right track, especially with the tools available to us today, and doesn't lock us into a small handful of generic and boring stages. I'd love it if you'd take a look and let me know what you think!

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
I'm assuming you meant Skyloft with hazards off, otherwise that could be the new Delfino.

Also, Wario Ware (hazards off) should definitely be legal (as long as the blast zones don't cause any gimmicks). I like how unique it is, and also it's just nice to look at.

punkonjunk

Smash Cadet
NNID
punkonjunk
3DS FC
3480-2775-5641
Switch FC
Sw-7819-1079-8971
I'm assuming you meant Skyloft with hazards off, otherwise that could be the new Delfino.

Also, Wario Ware (hazards off) should definitely be legal (as long as the blast zones don't cause any gimmicks). I like how unique it is, and also it's just nice to look at.
Yeah, I totally meant with hazards off. with hazards on it's almost worse than delfino! With hazards off, it's got a really unique layout.

Warioware does have really close side blast zones. Like, it's a bigger difference than any other stage that's previously been legal, but I think if we have some options in how we do bans/counterpicks, that it could still be really neat as a super hard counterpick for horizontal killers... but that said, it definitely merits further testing.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
Unrelated, but I definitely think we need some sort of abbreviation or nickname for hazards on or off, because it can become real confusing real quick. Omega Skyloft and Battlefield Skyloft aren't bad, but Skyloft with Hazards Off is a mouthful and only 2 letters away from Skyloft with Hazards on.

punkonjunk

Smash Cadet
NNID
punkonjunk
3DS FC
3480-2775-5641
Switch FC
Sw-7819-1079-8971
1543866134238.png

I drew out the core of the idea, as well.

By no means do I think 9 stage/3 buckets is the one true way, either - this could go down to a good number of buckets with 5 stages each, or grouping them more focused on a specific stage style - bigger, smaller, plats, no plats etc, but I think this is an understandable way to present larger stage lists in a usable manner.

Top Bottom