• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Survey about 3.5 Zelda ["Results" posted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
Results at the bottom of the OP!

So people have had mixed reactions about 3.5 Zelda. I have taken the time to come up with a survey to see how certain players reacted. This is geared towards people who play Zelda, specifically those who played 3.02 Zelda. If you don't play Zelda, then feel free to comment in the social about your feelings, because you will likely have great difficulty answering these questions. We would certainly love to hear how others feel about the new Zelda, but this isn't the right place.

These are mostly Yes/No or one word responses. I ask that you answer specifically as I instruct. No extra fluff. No explanations. No disclaimers. If your answer does not come directly from the quotes, I don't want to hear it. Do not respond to the answers of anyone else. I want pure, objective answers. I know that some of these are worded poorly, so...just do your best

I know this survey is not perfect, but it's a start. It will help us see the background and preferences of Zelda players, compared to the direction we feel PM Zelda is heading. If for some reason you feel that something HAS to be explained, then mark the specific answer with an asterisk, and put the explanation in spoiler tags at the end of your post. Please, however, if you have difficulty answering a question either write your "best answer" or leave it blank.

Feel free to copy paste this for ease!
EDIT: Also feel free to put the whole thing in a spoiler tag. I didn't realize how much space it takes up, even if I'm really only asking you for 25 words.

THE SURVEY
Background and Playstyle
1. In 3.02, I played Zelda as a "Main/Secondary/Other"

2. In 3.5, I plan to play Zelda as a "Main/Secondary/Other"

3. My Zelda background comes more from "Melee/Brawl/Both/Neither" (Write "Neither" if and only if you NEVER played Zelda in Melee or Brawl. Write "Both" if and only if you feel that you were influenced by both Zeldas perfectly equally. I would prefer that you choose Melee or Brawl if possible)

4. In 3.02, I would categorize my Zelda playstyle as "RushDown/Aggressive/All-around/Defensive/Campy/TrapsAndMindgames"

5. I think that the most effective Zelda playstyle should be "RushDown/Aggressive/All-around/Defensive/Campy/TrapsAndMindgames"

Din's Fire
6. I used Din's often in 3.02 "Yes/No"

7. I used Din's effectively in 3.02 "Yes/No"

8. I think the changes to Din's from 3.02 to 3.5 "Buffed/Nerfed/Same" Zelda

9. I prefer using 3.5 Din's over 3.02 Din's "Yes/No"

10. I think the change to Din's was a "Good/Bad/Neutral" decision (based on balancing the cast, good design, and anything else you can think of)

Teledash/Telecancel
11. I used Teledash (air-dodging/wavedashing out of a grounded teleport) often in 3.02 "Yes/No"

12. I used Teledash effectively in 3.02 "Yes/No"

13. I think the change from Teledash to Telecancel "Buffed/Nerfed/Same" Zelda

14. I prefer using 3.5 Telecancel over 3.02 Teledash "Yes/No"

15. I think the change to Teledash was a "Good/Bad/Neutral" decision (based on balancing the cast, good design, and anything else you can think of)

Lightning Kicks
16. I used Lighting Kick critical sweetspots often in 3.02 "Yes/No"

17. I used Lighting Kick critical sweetspots effectively in 3.02 "Yes/No"

18. I think the changes to Lightning Kick "Buffed/Nerfed/Same" Zelda

19. I prefer using 3.5 Lighting Kicks over 3.02 Lightning Kicks "Yes/No"

20. I think the change to Lightning Kicks was a "Good/Bad/Neutral" decision (based on balancing the cast, good design, and anything else you can think of)

Summary
21. Overall, I feel that Zelda (WITHOUT comparison to the rest of the cast) has been "Buffed/Nerfed/Same" from 3.02 to 3.5

22. Overall, I feel that Zelda (WITH comparison to the rest of the cast) has been "Buffed/Nerfed/Same" from 3.02 to 3.5 (in other words, do you think she is "higher/lower/same" tier?)

23. Overall, I prefer playing as 3.5 Zelda over 3.02 Zelda "Yes/No"

24. I see myself playing as Zelda "More/Less/Same" in 3.5 compared to 3.02

25. I think the changes to Zelda from 3.02 to 3.5 were a "Good/Bad/Neutral" idea

Results:
Tabled results for easy viewing: https://docs.google.com/a/virginia....ztglcPPpCRQYqXQ56JE-aqR2AEVU/edit?pli=1#gid=0
I looked through this data a lot. I probably stared at it for at least 70 hours. I made more tables and graphs and charts, and they were still inconclusive. I didn't really see many trends in the data. It turns out that there weren't really many correlations. I looked at players' backgrounds, playstyles, level of experience, I even watch videos on Youtube of some of you guys. I found almost nothing.

One thing I DID find was that the more time players spent with Zelda in 3.02, the less they tended to like Zelda in 3.5, but I can't really say much about that. It wasn't statistically significant to get over the natural bias of having your character's design being changed.

Players that came more directly from Melee/Brawl to 3.5 (rather than getting used to 3.02) tended to like 3.5 Zelda. Once again, this is sort of obvious. 3.5 Zelda is obviously better than Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4 Zelda. This data doesn't tell us whether 3.02 or 3.5 is more favored.

Another, slightly more conclusive result, was that more defensive/campy Zeldas tended to prefer this new Zelda. Many (non-Zelda) players griped about Zelda's camping ability and her ability to change the pace of the game. Zelda, being a naturally defensive character, was modified to encourage a more interactive playstyle, yet it is the campier Zeldas who prefer the new build.

Last edited:

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
My answers
Background and Playstyle
Main

Main

3. My Zelda background comes more from "Melee/Brawl/Both/Neither" (Write "Neither" if and only if you NEVER played Zelda in Melee or Brawl. Write "Both" if and only if you feel that you were influenced by both Zeldas perfectly equally. I would prefer that you choose Melee or Brawl if possible)
Brawl

4. In 3.02, I would categorize my Zelda playstyle as "RushDown/Aggressive/All-around/Defensive/Campy/TrapsAndMindgames"
Traps and Mindgames

5. I think that the most effective Zelda playstyle should be "RushDown/Aggressive/All-around/Defensive/Campy/TrapsAndMindgames"
Traps and Mindgames

Din's Fire
Yes

Yes

Nerfed

No

10. I think the change to Din's was a "Good/Bad/Neutral" decision (based on balancing the cast, good design, and anything else you can think of)
Bad

Teledash/Telecancel
11. I used Teledash (air-dodging/wavedashing out of a grounded teleport) often in 3.02 "Yes/No"
Yes

Yes

Buffed

Yes

15. I think the change to Teledash was a "Good/Bad/Neutral" decision (based on balancing the cast, good design, and anything else you can think of)
Good

Lightning Kicks
No

Yes

Nerfed

No

20. I think the change to Lightning Kicks was a "Good/Bad/Neutral" decision (based on balancing the cast, good design, and anything else you can think of)
Bad

Summary
21. Overall, I feel that Zelda (WITHOUT comparison to the rest of the cast) has been "Buffed/Nerfed/Same" from 3.02 to 3.5
Nerfed

22. Overall, I feel that Zelda (WITH comparison to the rest of the cast) has been "Buffed/Nerfed/Same" from 3.02 to 3.5 (in other words, do you think she is "higher/lower/same" tier?)
Same

23. Overall, I prefer playing as 3.5 Zelda over 3.02 Zelda
No

Less

25. I think the changes to Zelda from 3.02 to 3.5 were a "Good/Bad/Neutral" idea
Bad

Last edited:

4tlas

Smash Lord
A few things I want to say before this post.

Should people read others' responses before or after posting? (I'm not reading yours before posting)
What exactly do you mean by the "playstyle" options? What is the difference between rushdown and aggressive? What is the difference between defensive, campy, and traps? I, and others, will have our own interpretations. This may be what you want, but I just want to check.
I really really wanted to elaborate, but you asked us not to so I didn't. =( I understand this is just to get the base opinions out there so we can use it as "data".

Background and Playstyle

Main

Main* (If I continue to play 3.5. Therefore this may be an invalid data point.)

Both/Neither* (I noticed ECHO answered neither because they didn't play either competitively. Thus I would be neither as well, since 3.02 was when I started playing competitively, in case this matters)

Traps and Mindgames

Traps and Mindgames/Defensive (Snake and Diddy also do traps, so I wanted to be more specific)

Din's Fire
Yes

Yes

Nerfed

No

Bad

Teledash/Telecancel
No

No

Nerfed

Yes

Bad

Lightning Kicks
Yes* (I viewed this 'use' as "I attempted to utilize them" not "I succeeded", which seems to be answered by the next question.)

Yes

Nerfed

No

Bad

Summary
Nerfed

Nerfed

No

Less

Bad

Last edited:
3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
Background and Playstyle
Main

Main

Melee

Aggressive/Trap Mindgames

Agressive/Defensive/Trap&Mindgames

Din's Fire
Yes

Yes

Nerfed

No

Bad

Teledash/Telecancel
Yes

Yes

Nerfed

No

No

Lightning Kicks
No

Yes

Nerfed

No

Good

Summary
Nerfed

Same

No

Same

Bad

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
1. In 3.02, I played Zelda as a Main

2. In 3.5, I plan to play Zelda as a Secondary

3. My Zelda background comes more from Neither*

4. In 3.02, I would categorize my Zelda playstyle as Aggressive

5. I think that the most effective Zelda playstyle should be Defensive**
*My Zelda background is PM 3.02 based (first smash game played competitively for me), but I DO have experience and knowledge to use Zelda proficiently in both Melee/Brawl.

**This is a big point I wanted to talk about in depth and went overboard sorry, but isn't necessary to completely review since most of it is just examples to explain my ideas and can be skimmed or TL;DRed (last 2-3 sentences). I know many may be inclined to say Zelda should ideally be all-around or traps-and-mindgames based, but I don't agree. Marth is a defensive character, but can be played as aggressively if they know an MU well enough to take advantage of frame traps, etc. Zelda should fit this line of thinking imo (it's how I played aggressively), albeit with vastly different tools. Ganon and Falcon are two great examples of traps/mindgames characters. Sure, they're strengths may lie I other areas, but another huge and essential part of their meta is reading their opponents spacing/tech-chasing/whatever for follow-ups. This works great for Falcon because he's fast. This doesn't work consistently at top level for Ganon because his slow trap/mindgame punishes can be reacted to easily; when they do work, it can sometimes appear "lucky" or "unskillful," because they weren't guaranteed and dependent on player error. This works for Zelda, but like Ganon, her best punishes from reads/tech-chases are sometimes seen as toxic, but instead because she has options that are assumed as too good. While I feel she is a traps/mind games character, I don't think she should have to rely on this because doing so will promote views of her play as toxic (people don't like getting read unless it's supposedly "more skillful" like quick Falcon punishes). To that extent, I feel she should grow to become a defensive character who (like Marth) can be flexible in potential playstyles, and (like Falcon/Ganon) uses traps/mindgames as one of her tools to accomplish this. Make it harder for her to camp with traps/setups, but let them be extremely useful for punish game (like Falcon/Ganon); defensive, lacking in approaches, big punish game.
6. I used Din's often in 3.02 (Yes)

7. I used Din's effectively in 3.02 (Yes)

8. I think the changes to Din's from 3.02 to 3.5 Nerfed Zelda

9. I prefer using 3.5 Din's over 3.02 Din's (No)

10. I think the change to Din's was a Neutral* decision
*As with most of the major changes to Zelda, imo the intentions of the change were good and I mostly support them, but the way it was implemented was unnecessarily inefficient, in a way that was easily avoidable.
11. I used Teledash often in 3.02 (Yes)

12. I used Teledash effectively in 3.02 (Yes)

13. I think the change from Teledash to Telecancel Nerfed Zelda

14. I prefer using 3.5 Telecancel over 3.02 Teledash (No)

15. I think the change to Teledash was a Bad decision
16. I used Lighting Kick critical sweetspots often in 3.02 (Yes; maybe not often, but more easily/often than I should've been able to)

17. I used Lighting Kick critical sweetspots effectively in 3.02 (Yes)

18. I think the changes to Lightning Kick Nerfed Zelda

19. I prefer using 3.5 Lighting Kicks over 3.02 Lightning Kicks (No)

20. I think the change to Lightning Kicks was a Good decision
21. Overall, I feel that Zelda (WITHOUT comparison to the rest of the cast) has been Nerfed from 3.02 to 3.5

22. Overall, I feel that Zelda (WITH comparison to the rest of the cast) has been Nerfed from 3.02 to 3.5

23. Overall, I prefer playing as 3.5 Zelda over 3.02 Zelda (No)

24. I see myself playing as Zelda Less (in tournament) in 3.5 compared to 3.02

25. I think the changes to Zelda from 3.02 to 3.5 were a Neutral* idea
*As I said earlier, she needed nerfs; good plans. She was nerfed inefficiently; bad implementations.

Last edited:

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
answering in such a black and white manner is kinda hard but here ya go.

Background and Playstyle

main

main

Brawl

Aggressive / Traps and mind games

Agressive/Traps and mind games/defensive

Dins fire6. I used Din's often in 3.02 "Yes/No"

yes

yes

nerfed

yes

Good.
Teledash/Telecancel11. I used Teledash (air-dodging/wavedashing out of a grounded teleport) often in 3.02 "Yes/No"

yes

yes

nerfed

no

bad

Lightning Kicks

no

yes

same.

no

neutral

Summary

nerfed

same

no

same

neutral

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
This is an interesting idea, and it's very hard for me to be binary about everything, but here goes:

Background and Playstyle
Main

Main

Brawl

Defensive

All-Around

Din's Fire

Yes
Yes
Nerfed
No
Neutral

Teledash/Telecancel
Yes
Yes
Same
No
Neutral

Lightning Kicks
Yes
Yes
Nerfed
No
Bad
Summary
Nerfed
Nerfed
No
Same
Neutral

Hebi

Smash Rookie
Background and Playstyle
Main

Main

Neither

All-Around

Traps and Mindgames

Din's Fire
Yes

Yes

Nerfed

No

Bad

Teledash/Telecancel
Yes

Yes

Same

No

Bad

Lightning Kicks
Yes

Yes

Nerfed

No

Neutral

Summary
Nerfed

Nerfed

No

Same

Bad

otheusrex

Smash Journeyman
Background and Playstyle
Main
Main

Melee

Defensive

All-around
Din's Fire
no

yes

same

yes

bad
Teledash/Telecancel
Hell yes

yes

buffed

no

good
Lightning Kicks
yes

no

same

yes

neutral
Summary
nerfed

same

yes

same

neutral

Geth Drips

Smash Rookie
(Forgot how to do spoiler tags :/)
Background and Playstyle
Main
Secondary
Neither
Aggressive
All-around

Din's Fire
Yes
Yes
Same
No
Neutral

Teledash/Telecancel
Yes
Yes
Nerfed
No
Good (marginally)

Lightning Kicks
No
Yes
Same
Yes
Good

Summary
Nerfed
Same
No
Less
Neutral

Prynne

Smash Apprentice
Background and Playstyle
Main

Secondary

Melee

All-Around

RushDown

Din's Fire
Yes

Yes, (but not to its full potential.)

Nerfed

No

Bad. The intention was good, the execution was bad.

Teledash/Telecancel
Yes, Frequently

Yes

Nerfed

Absolutely not.

Neutral, leaning bad.

Lightning Kicks
Yes

Yes

Nerfed.

Yes

Good decision, poorly executed.

Summary
Buffed

Nerfed

No

Less

Good idea, poorly executed.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Background and Playstyle
other - testing only

secondary

melee

all-around

all-around

Din's Fire
no

no

buffed

yes

good

Teledash/Telecancel
yes

yes

not sure

yes

good

Lightning Kicks
yes

yes

nerfed

yes

good

Summary
this is a loaded question, every character including zelda was balanced in tandem with the cast at large

same

yes

more

good

Only a NOOB

Smash Cadet
Background and Playstyle
Main - she is the only character I played competitively in 3.02
Secondary - she will no longer be the only character I play competitively
Neither - I never played her in Melee, but picked her up in PM and she just worked for me
Aggressive - I never relied that heavily on Dins and am usually piling on the pressure
All-Around - I think a good Zelda playstyle should be a balance between offense and defense

Din's Fire
Yes - I did set up traps but they were mostly for positioning and mindgames
Yes - I think they usually worked quite well for what I needed at the moment
Nerfed - They are definitely inferior to what they were, and Zelda is inferior as a result
No - They are inferior so I do not prefer them
Good - I won't lie, they were overpowered and obnoxious, especially against certain opponents

Teledash/Telecancel
No - I was starting to learn it, but it was very difficult for me to perform technically
No - I was a long way from being able to work it into my competitive playstyle
Undecided - I do not have a feel for the difference as I did not rely on it in 3.02
Yes - I can actually perform it reliably now, when I could not before
Neutral - In the grand scheme of things, I don't think it will make that great of a difference

Lightning Kicks
No - I was not aware of the "critical" sweetspots until reading the 3.5 patch notes
No - I only recently got pretty good at pulling off normal sweetspots on command
Same - I feel that Zelda is fairly equal after the change to what she was before
Undecided - honestly I do not fully comprehend the difference
Good - I don't think it's fair for one move to have a super sweetspot when other similar moves do not

Summary
Nerfed - With all the changes they made, she is definitely inferior, but not by that much I think
Same - I do not think she will be much lower on the tier list (if any) than she was
No - only time will tell for sure, but at the moment, I am somewhat missing 3.02 Zelda
Less - not because of the changes, but because I want to have more than one reliable character
Good - I admit that she was a bit too cheap/overpowered before, and is more reasonable now

Last edited:

Sardonyx

星黄泉
Background and Playstyle
Secondary
I plan to drop her
Brawl

All-around
Defensive/Mindgames
Din's Fire
Yes
Yes
Nerfed
Yes
Bad
Teledash/Telecancel
No
No
Same
Yes
Good
Lightning Kicks
Yes
Yes
Nerfed
No
Bad
Summary
Nerfed
Lower tier
No
Less
Bad

otheusrex

Smash Journeyman
It'd also be a good idea to include a section on some of her normals that were changed, including Upsmash, dash, dash attack, dsmash, jab, grab, and upair

Rizner

Smash Ace
I don't like this survey :-(
Too much emphasis and or leading questions without context. Seems focused on nerfed or not more than the ideas and implementations, and isn't relative to rest of cast at all.

Also some choices don't line up with my answers.

Arcalyth

GLS | root
Background and Playstyle
1. In 3.02, I played Zelda as a Main.

2. In 3.5, I plan to play Zelda as a Main.

3. I had no pre-Project M Zelda background. (I played Melee Sheik and fell in love with Sheilda as soon as I started PM)

4. In 3.02, I would categorize my Zelda playstyle as...
I think I played more aggressively than most other Zeldas. Zhime trained me in 2.6 so I learned a lot of stuff with Dins then, I've always been teleport-heavy, and I used a lot of her grounded game (especially ftilt and throws). I tried to be oriented around hard punishes and smart movement around my traps.

5. I think that the most effective Zelda playstyle should be...
Zelda should sparkle. :)
She's a glass cannon. She punishes hard and looks good doing it.
Teleport should fill the holes in her movement but it shouldn't be her only usable form of movement. Also Teleport should be punishable. (these things are both true in 3.02 and 3.5)
Her projectile should fill in the holes in her normals; covering her at a distance, setting up for combos, just like every other projectile.
Din's Fire
6. I used Din's often in 3.02.

7. I used Din's effectively in 3.02.

8. I think the changes to Din's from 3.02 to 3.5...
They're for the overall health of the game. 3.02 is definitively "better" because of how it statically and absolutely covers space options. You place the Din's and say "now you can't move there. Choose something else."
In 3.5 you place the Din's fire and it /might/ threaten you if Zelda is smart, but you're not really sure as the opponent what she's gonna do with it, if anything. It's still passive pressure, but it's also potential pressure that allows for combo breakers and approaches. Overall the projectile is much more dynamic.

9. I do NOT prefer using 3.5 dins over 3.02 dins. But that's because I like playing Chess. This is Smash, and 3.5 dins is good for Smash.

10. I think the change to Din's was a good decision.

Teledash/Telecancel
11. I used Teledash often.

12. I used Teledash effectively.

13. I think the change from Teledash to Telecancel is pretty much the same. (The options lost on the ground were made up for in the air.)

14. I prefer using teledash over telecancel. Pressing L feels so good, that's why we play Melee/PM ;)
B feels squishy. But ultimately it's muscle memory, the functionality is pretty much the same (and telecancel is going to get fixed to feel better soon).

15. I think the change to Teledash was a Neutral decision.

Lightning Kicks
16. I used Lighting Kick critical sweetspots often in 3.02.

17. I used Lighting Kick critical sweetspots effectively in 3.02.

18. Lightning Kick was definitely nerfed.

19. I definitely prefer the 3.02 kick.

20. I think the change to Lightning Kicks was a Good decision. Recovery isn't as good and Kick actually takes skill to space now. Those things together make this a good and necessary change especially with how Din's Fire works now.

Summary
21/22. Overall, I feel that Zelda was nerfed in 3.5, but so has everyone else so the net exchange is zero-sum (the same) in my opinion.

23. Overall, I prefer playing as 3.5 Zelda over 3.02 Zelda.

24. I see myself playing as Zelda just as much in 3.5

25. I think the changes to Zelda from 3.02 to 3.5 were a Good idea

Edit: sorry for the "fluff" but I'm not sure what purpose this survey aims to fill without it :)

Last edited:

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
I am aware of the many shortcomings of this survey. I ask that you take everything with a grain of salt. I will explain my methodology after I have had the time to compile answers and make pretty graphs, because pretty graphs and pie charts make the world go round. Please save your criticisms for AFTER I have said what I have to say. I wanted information on THESE specific questions for a reason. I did not include others for reasons as well. Just trust me. This is the info gathering stage, and I'm the only one who knows exactly what is going to happen with all of this.

HanAmes

Smash Ace
Background and Playstyle
Main

Main

Brawl

Aggressive

Traps and Mindgames

Din's Fire
Yes

No

Nerfed

Yes

Neutral

Teledash/Telecancel
Yes

Yes

Nerfed (for now)

No

Bad

Lightning Kicks
Yes

Yes

Nerfed

No

Neutral

Summary
Nerfed

Same

No

Same

Neutral

Rizner

Smash Ace
I am aware of the many shortcomings of this survey. I ask that you take everything with a grain of salt. I will explain my methodology after I have had the time to compile answers and make pretty graphs, because pretty graphs and pie charts make the world go round. Please save your criticisms for AFTER I have said what I have to say. I wanted information on THESE specific questions for a reason. I did not include others for reasons as well. Just trust me. This is the info gathering stage, and I'm the only one who knows exactly what is going to happen with all of this.
That's fair. At work now - I'll try to do this when actually on a computer

Downdraft

Smash Ace
Will Nayru's Love be addressed in a later poll?
Background and Playstyle
1. Main

2. Main

3. Brawl

4. Defensive

5. TrapsAndMindgames

Din's Fire
6. Yes

7. No

8. Same

9. Yes

10. Neutral

Teledash/Telecancel
11. No

12. No

13. Nerfed

14. No

15. Bad

Lightning Kicks
16. Yes

17. Yes

18. Nerfed

19. No

20. Good

Summary
21. Nerfed

22. Buffed

23. Yes

24. More

25. Neutral

Rizner

Smash Ace
THE SURVEY
Background and Playstyle
Main

Secondary

Neither

TrapsAndMindgames

Defensive

Din's Fire
Yes

Yes

Nerfed

No

Bad

Teledash/Telecancel
Yes

Yes

Nerfed

No

Neutral

Lightning Kicks
Yes

Yes

Nerfed

No (same?)

Good

Summary
Nerfed

Same

No

Less

Bad

ok. I only added extra comments for one answer, but also supplied what I would have chosen based on your options in case my thing doesn't work added in

LonVoen

Smash Cadet
Background and Playstyle
Other
Main
Brawl

Campy, extremely
Defensive/Traps (specifically, tempo control and frame traps)

Din's Fire

Yes
Yes
Too early to tell / Same
Yes, emphatically
Good, extremely

Teledash/Telecancel
Yes
Yes
Buffed, probably
Yes
Good
Lightning Kicks
No (not very good with them)
Yes (I don't understand how you could not)
I don't know enough to say.
Yes
I don't know enough to say.
Summary
Can't say yet
Too early to say
Holy ****, yes.
MORE
Good, and extremely thoughtful
Are these just being tallied or is this like an extremely organized public opinion compendium? Thanks at any rate. Nice to see how people are feeling, although I think a few 'why' sections would be nice!

Rizner

Smash Ace
Are these just being tallied or is this like an extremely organized public opinion compendium? Thanks at any rate. Nice to see how people are feeling, although I think a few 'why' sections would be nice!

This is what I heard back - it's a few posts up but since you asked I figured worth pointing you to.

Angell

Smash Cadet
Background and Playstyle
Main

Secondary

Neither

All around

all around

Din's Fire
No

Yes

buffed

Yes

Good

Teledash/Telecancel
Yes

Yes

Buffed

Yes

Good ( but she should have both!)

Lightning Kicks
Yes

Yes

Nerfed

No

Bad

Summary
Nerfed

Nerfed

No

Less

Bad

But with all of this said, the PMBR should be smart enough to buff a low mid tier

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
Background and Playstyle
Main
Played her since 2.1, although towards the last two months prior to 3.5's release I started to fall in love with Kirby and put more focus on him.

None
I just don't like the new Zelda, I'm done with her now. Going full-time Kirby now.

Brawl?
I very briefly played her a bit when Brawl came out and I got sick of MK and didn't like what they did to Puff, but I was hardly serious and put the game down entirely soon enough. Pretty casual at the time, not even sure it's enough to count.

Aggressive/TrapsAndMindgames
If they let me be at range I'll happily set traps, but as soon as they're in my face I'll go full aggro right back. I aim to try and combo into fireballs and bounce them around. I'd like to describe my style as "passive-agressive".

Aggressive/All-around/TrapsAndMindgames
Uh, however you'd describe Zhime. I'd say he really demonstrates that Zelda is fully capable of going aggro and does not need to camp to succeed.

Din's Fire
Yes

Yes

Same or N/A
It's not even a buff/nerf IMO, she's basically just a totally different character now.

No
Big thing that throws me off is that it's actually too fast, I can't control the damn thing anymore! And I can never get to do what I want as I recall it.

Bad
Slap in the face to Zelda mains. I would rather have just had it nerfed if need be.

Teledash/Telecancel
No
I'm bad at teleport stuff, was kinda my big weakness as a Zelda.

No

Same?
Don't ask me.

IDK

IDK

Lightning Kicks
Yes

Yes

Nerfed

No

Bad

Summary
Nerfed?
More like a totally different character now really.

IDK

No

Less
I'm done with her. I don't recognize this new character, left a sour taste in my mouth as I tried to give her a shot, decided I'm just gonna go back to Kirby.

Bad
My former main basically got removed from the game and replaced with a totally different character. I would've been fine with just nerfs, but these were no mere nerfs.

Last edited:

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
I'm going to "close" this tomorrow afternoon (about 15 or so hours following this post), so if you want to get your opinion in, do it now. I'm going to start analysis.

4tlas

Smash Lord
I'm going to "close" this tomorrow afternoon (about 15 or so hours following this post), so if you want to get your opinion in, do it now. I'm going to start analysis.
I was like dude what its 3am that gives people an hour in the middle of the night to...oh 4pm lol

ArcanisG

Smash Rookie
Background and Playstyle
1. In 3.02, I played Zelda as a "Main/Secondary/Other" - Main.

2. In 3.5, I plan to play Zelda as a "Main/Secondary/Other" - I do not play PM 3.5.

3. My Zelda background comes more from "Melee/Brawl/Both/Neither" (Write "Neither" if and only if you NEVER played Zelda in Melee or Brawl. Write "Both" if and only if you feel that you were influenced by both Zeldas perfectly equally. I would prefer that you choose Melee or Brawl if possible) - Neither.

4. In 3.02, I would categorize my Zelda playstyle as "RushDown/Aggressive/All-around/Defensive/Campy/TrapsAndMindgames" - Defensive/ Campy/Traps/ Mindgames/ Counters and Punish/ Spacing and Spacial Control.

5. I think that the most effective Zelda playstyle should be "RushDown/Aggressive/All-around/Defensive/Campy/TrapsAndMindgames" - I think that the beauty of Zelda (PM 3.0) is that her moveset was so versatile that it allowed her to be played effectively in many playstyles.

Din's Fire

6. I used Din's often in 3.02 "Yes/No" - Yes.

7. I used Din's effectively in 3.02 "Yes/No" - Yes.

8. I think the changes to Din's from 3.02 to 3.5 "Buffed/Nerfed/Same" Zelda - Nerfed. ( Extremely nerfed, this cannot be overemphasized.)

9. I prefer using 3.5 Din's over 3.02 Din's "Yes/No" - No.

10. I think the change to Din's was a "Good/Bad/Neutral" decision (based on balancing the cast, good design, and anything else you can think of) - Bad. ( I think that the changes made to Din's fire are an example of the "direction" that the PMDT are taking with PM. A game where the fighter's moves are so limiting in an attempt to direct the gameplay towards specific strategies that only the characters best at those strategies end up getting played [ie: spacies, swordies, etc.].)

Teledash/Telecancel

11. I used Teledash (air-dodging/wavedashing out of a grounded teleport) often in 3.02 "Yes/No" - Yes.

12. I used Teledash effectively in 3.02 "Yes/No" - Yes.

13. I think the change from Teledash to Telecancel "Buffed/Nerfed/Same" Zelda - Nerfed. ( I think the changes nerfed Zelda by reducing her movement options, thereby removing her approach options, and effectively (while combined with other changes) limiting her viable playstyles.

14. I prefer using 3.5 Telecancel over 3.02 Teledash "Yes/No" - No.

15. I think the change to Teledash was a "Good/Bad/Neutral" decision (based on balancing the cast, good design, and anything else you can think of) - Bad.

Lightning Kicks

16. I used Lighting Kick critical sweetspots often in 3.02 "Yes/No" - No.

17. I used Lighting Kick critical sweetspots effectively in 3.02 "Yes/No" - Yes.

18. I think the changes to Lightning Kick "Buffed/Nerfed/Same" Zelda - Same.

19. I prefer using 3.5 Lighting Kicks over 3.02 Lightning Kicks "Yes/No" - Neither.

20. I think the change to Lightning Kicks was a "Good/Bad/Neutral" decision (based on balancing the cast, good design, and anything else you can think of) - Neither.

Summary
21. Overall, I feel that Zelda (WITHOUT comparison to the rest of the cast) has been "Buffed/Nerfed/Same" from 3.02 to 3.5 - Nerfed. (Actually, not nerfed, killed.)

22. Overall, I feel that Zelda (WITH comparison to the rest of the cast) has been "Buffed/Nerfed/Same" from 3.02 to 3.5 (in other words, do you think she is "higher/lower/same" tier?) - Nerfed.

23. Overall, I prefer playing as 3.5 Zelda over 3.02 Zelda "Yes/No" - No.

24. I see myself playing as Zelda "More/Less/Same" in 3.5 compared to 3.02 - Less. (Because I am not playing PM 3.5)

25. I think the changes to Zelda from 3.02 to 3.5 were a "Good/Bad/Neutral" idea - BAD!

Last edited:

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
This survey is officially closed. I have recorded all data and am beginning analysis. Conclusions will hopefully be posted today.

Last edited:

WindlessZephyr

Smash Rookie
NNID
windlesszephyr
Well, since the survey was reopened, I figure I could give my input.

Main

Main

Brawl

Traps and Mindgames

Traps and Mindgames

Din's Fire

Hell yes.

Yes.

Same

Yes.

Good

Teledash/Telecancel
Yes.

Yes.

Buffed.

Yes.

Neutral.

Lightning Kicks

Yes,

Yes.

Nerfed.

No.

Good.

Summary
Same.

Buffed.

Absolutely, yes.

More.

Good.

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
Change of plans. Can't stream with mic at this hour, so it's basically useless. If I end up streaming it, I'll let you guys know

Last edited:

Sunkist

Smash Rookie
I'm no pro, but I checked this site for the first time in years and I thought I'd give my input

Background and Playstyle
Main

Main

Brawl

TrapsAndMindgames

RushDown, assuming every read is correct

Din's Fire
Yes

Yes

Buffed; I feel like 3.02 Din's is "win more" and is best when you're already winning, whereas 3.5 is quick enough to be helpful in bad positions as well

Yes

Good

Teledash/Telecancel
No

No

Same; she can shorten it in the air now which is cool, but the grounded version lost utility

Yes

Neutral

Lightning Kicks
Yes

Yes

Nerfed

No

Bad, though possibly necessary?

Summary
Buffed very slightly, though I think it's a pretty lateral move

Buffed slightly, but again I think it's a rather lateral move

Yes; I find her way more fun

Same; I still think she's the most fun to play

Good, though I'm referring mostly to Din's Fire because I hate the Kick change, and I didn't use teledash enough to really comment one way or the other

Somedutch

Smash Rookie
Juneau, AK (Hometown) & Charlotte, NC (college)
Background and Playstyle
Main

Main/Secondary

Brawl

Aggro / traps and mindgames

Depends heavily on the MU.

Din's Fire
Kinda

I would like to think so

I don't necessarily think it was buffed or nerfed. Just different

Overall I think I prefer 3.5 Din's

Goodish. It's different, but it does weed out a lot of the campy Zelda players.

Teledash/Telecancel
Yes

Yes

Nerfed

God No...

Terrible decision.

Lightning Kicks
Yes

Yes

Nerfed

No

Neutral. Dislike the change, but I can understand and respect it.

Summary
Somewhere between Same and nerfed I think.

Nerfed. There are some MU's that have become significantly worse for Zelda.

No. While I like the Din's change, the teleport change really kills things for me.

Less.

I either like or agree with all the changes minus the teleport changes.

HierophantGreen

Smash Rookie
NNID
GhostsNeverDie
Background and Playstyle
Main

Main

Brawl

Defensive/Traps and Mind Games

Defensive/Traps and Mind Games

Din's Fire
Yes.

Yes

Nerfed

Yes.

Neutral (While I think the change is good, the poor AI of the ball and the way it streches the screen knocks it down.)

Teledash/Telecancel
Yes

Yes

Nefed

No.

Neutral.

Lightning Kicks

Yes.

Yes

Nerfed

No

Bad. (Removes the skillful aspect of getting a proper Critical Lightning Kick, I would really like to see them returned, even if they're nerfed heavily.)

Summary
Nerfed.

Nerfed.

No.

Same.

Bad.

Last edited:

WhiteCrow

Smash Journeyman
I agree with Riz that there are some loaded/leading questions in here, but I'll still answer.

Background and Playstyle
Main
Main

Neither

Rush Down/Mind Games

Defensive
Yes

Yes

Buffed

Yes

Good

Yes

Yes

Same

No

Good

Yes

No

Nerfed

Yes

Good

Buffed

Buffed

Yes

More

Good

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
Did anything ever come of this?
I stared at the data forever and only saw a few things. I probably won't be able to extrapolate any more data. If somebody bugs me about this over the weekend, I'll try to write-up something formal. I've been putting it off, because I've written 50+ pages of scientific analysis this week, but today is that last day I'll be doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom