• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A servay of essential Samus tech skill.

D

Deleted member

I'm currently practicing Samus's missile spam on Yoshi story, and of course getting better and better at it. I want to practice ALL the important Samus tech until it's like second nature.

Can someone list off all of Samus's most important tech?

Gnarsty

Wat.
- upB out of shield
- wavedash ftilt, dtilt, fmash, and dsmash
- bomb-jumping
- grapple recovery mixups
- charge shot tech-chase
- all of the different types of missle cancels
- edge guarding mixups

Those are just a few essentials to get you started... Good Luck =D

like most essential or like most useful

I mean essential would be anything in these vids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MncGuJBshB8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp_rPkqiFvM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8Pw7dlHhGM

Except for: SHFF missiles, hylian lowriders (ledgehop missile regrab), some edge canceled aerials, SWDs, aerialSWDs, swd+grab, extender grab combos, basically things that are extremely hard to pull off with limited viability.

most useful would be like

wd oos
rising grapple+sweetspots
basic missile cancels
properly timed nairs and bairs
and shield drops on platforms
ftilts and such

edit: those vids might not be the best actually but uhhhhhhh yeah gl

Last edited:

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
MOST IMPORTANT
Wave dash / waveland
L - Cancel
General Samus movement
Do not practice anything else until these 3 things are basically second nature.

Samus techs with actually use:
Aerial Interrupt
Short hop FF Missile cancel
like most essential or like most useful

I mean essential would be anything in these vids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MncGuJBshB8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp_rPkqiFvM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8Pw7dlHhGM

Except for: SHFF missiles, hylian lowriders (ledgehop missile regrab), some edge canceled aerials, SWDs, aerialSWDs, swd+grab, extender grab combos, basically things that are extremely hard to pull off with limited viability.

most useful would be like

wd oos
basic missile cancels
ftilts and such

edit: those vids might not be the best actually but uhhhhhhh yeah gl
Yo SHFF missiles are hella useful. But everything else in that list is really niche.

Fog1

Smash Rookie
That sounds like a very necessary/usefull skill. I'm gonna need to work on that. Thanks mervis.

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
That sounds like a very necessary/usefull skill. I'm gonna need to work on that. Thanks mervis.
It is a useful skill! However you should work on Samus movement over anything else. SHFFMC took me about a year and a half to actually work into my neutral game. And that's with constant practice of the tech. Solid fundamentals over any advanced samus tech.

Fog1

Smash Rookie
Yeah, you are most likely right. I'll stick with increasing my basic tech skill first.

Litt

Samus
It is a useful skill! However you should work on Samus movement over anything else. SHFFMC took me about a year and a half to actually work into my neutral game. And that's with constant practice of the tech. Solid fundamentals over any advanced samus tech.
Ive seen some of your recent matches and SHFFMCs are absent from not only your neutral but every other part of your game...

yeah mervis, uh

you're not trying hard enough.

your performance isn't matching your assumptions of your performance.

think of the dk trend line

the truth is dk happens to all of us at any level of mastery (except maybe grandmastery)

so don't think of the trendline as bound to skill

instead, ask "where am i on the trendline"

you can identify and problem-solve where your assumptions don't meet your performance level

the way to avoid dk is to assume that you don't know what you assume
or to be always problem-solving.. roughly speaking

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
yeah mervis, uh

you're not trying hard enough.

your performance isn't matching your assumptions of your performance.

think of the dk trend line

the truth is dk happens to all of us at any level of mastery (except maybe grandmastery)

so don't think of the trendline as bound to skill

instead, ask "where am i on the trendline"

you can identify and problem-solve where your assumptions don't meet your performance level

the way to avoid dk is to assume that you don't know what you assume
or to be always problem-solving.. roughly speaking
****ING OWNED Mervis Mervis ... couldnt have put it better myself

-Philip Coast Philip- -Philip Coast Philip- Did you base this on Litt Litt saying he watched my videos?
no, just various things you've said and posted.

answer why you post here. are you figuring out something? how many things are you not sure of? writing will help you formulate and test those ideas against others. but you post more than that. so do you think your words will be helpful? then why do you speak with so much to say? consider this thought: the wise speak quietly, and the unwise are heard. you need to ask if you are ever wrong in what you say, and to what degree. not that you should fear being wrong, but in the chance that you are wrong, you should accept that. 'you need to not be so sure of yourself, but be sure of your actions.'

look at me. i've observed players for the past 16 years, since ^that article was published, actually. i even originally moderated over on MLG forums, and i started playing competitively in '05 back when mew2king had released his encyclopedia of smash. i read a lot, and see a lot.

and what i've seen is that people are always wanting to say what's on their mind, but never are willing to correct it. 'life will give you satisfaction if you are not always climbing.' but people want satisfaction. so they don't climb.

i know this is about life, so what does this have to do with smash.

i'll just take your most recent post as an example:

"Samus techs with actual use:
Aerial Interrupt
Short hop FF Missile cancel"

ok but in that same sentence you basically disregard this:

"wd oos
basic missile cancels
ftilts and such"

But like, don'y you realize that shffmc are worthless compared to wd oos? I mean this is an objective statement, but yours sounds like wishful thinking: "Oh, SHFFMC would be useful in this situation." Yeah, but consider the opposite: Is it likely? Is there a more likely situation you would find? Is SHFFMC actually the best choice in those few scenarios it could be used in?

In regards to Barbie, he's arguing for the idea that these things can be figured out on their own, which is very useful. Most people don't consider this and wait for an answer or speak for themselves.

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
I'm confused.. Are you trying to teach me a lesson or something?

When I said "everything else in that list", I was referring to the list of stupid technical things that Samus has. Not the list of important fundamentals that follows it. I'm also confused as to what your stance is. You wrote up a big novel of things I already knew to say what exactly?

Litt

Samus
no, just various things you've said and posted.

answer why you post here. are you figuring out something? how many things are you not sure of? writing will help you formulate and test those ideas against others. but you post more than that. so do you think your words will be helpful? then why do you speak with so much to say? consider this thought: the wise speak quietly, and the unwise are heard. you need to ask if you are ever wrong in what you say, and to what degree. not that you should fear being wrong, but in the chance that you are wrong, you should accept that. 'you need to not be so sure of yourself, but be sure of your actions.'

look at me. i've observed players for the past 16 years, since ^that article was published, actually. i even originally moderated over on MLG forums, and i started playing competitively in '05 back when mew2king had released his encyclopedia of smash. i read a lot, and see a lot.

and what i've seen is that people are always wanting to say what's on their mind, but never are willing to correct it. 'life will give you satisfaction if you are not always climbing.' but people want satisfaction. so they don't climb.

i know this is about life, so what does this have to do with smash.

i'll just take your most recent post as an example:

"Samus techs with actual use:
Aerial Interrupt
Short hop FF Missile cancel"

ok but in that same sentence you basically disregard this:

"wd oos
basic missile cancels
ftilts and such"

But like, don'y you realize that shffmc are worthless compared to wd oos? I mean this is an objective statement, but yours sounds like wishful thinking: "Oh, SHFFMC would be useful in this situation." Yeah, but consider the opposite: Is it likely? Is there a more likely situation you would find? Is SHFFMC actually the best choice in those few scenarios it could be used in?

In regards to Ken/Litt/Barbie, he's arguing for the idea that these things can be figured out on their own, which is very useful. Most people don't consider this and wait for an answer or speak for themselves.
Just drop it PCP, Mervis refuses to understand that he should not be posting as frequently or with as much gusto as he does. He feels everyone is entitled to post on here like a first amendment right. Buttttt at the same time life is too short not to **** around and also beleives everyone should take him seriously when he attempts to contribute. This leads to him questioning why you call him out and makes him confused when people don't take what he says seriously. Expecting the recipients of his knowledge bomb to be greatful that the info is coming from a source of knowledge instead of trolling mediocrity. Out of most posts ive seen mervis create, they are linked to tech he can't do, over the top claims unable to be backed up by his game play, or just straight up trolling, then a good number of speaking as if he is this a renowned samus that doesnt get wrecked by everyone in texas.

again... couldn't have said it better mysefl. "the wise speak quietly, and the unwise are heard. you need to ask if you are ever wrong in what you say, and to what degree. not that you should fear being wrong, but in the chance that you are wrong, you should accept that. 'you need to not be so sure of yourself, but be sure of your actions."

Lets take a look at Mervis's most recent match I could find: (what a wasted 16 minutes of my life watching that set)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqGsKNenUEs

G1: heavy over use of fair from ledge which costs him the game and the commentators say that is a trait of low level samuses, heavy over use of rising grapple which confuses opponent first two times but costs mervis a stock the third time... ABSOLUTELY no use of SHFFMC or aerial interrupts

G2: still looks like you just discovered rising grapple and are finding appropriate uses for it... fair from the ledge a bunch still getting punished for it, roll on, oh and my favorite wd on dsmash onto shield nice one. Literally the only reasons you won this game pulled out of your ass was because your opponent started taunting and trying to style on you and you captalized with punishing their too frequent fsmash on shield... and oh you missile spammed and they couldn't keep up... AGAIN NO SHFFMC OR AERIAL INTERRUPT

G3: less rising grapple... finally less missiles... but again NO SHFFMC or AERIAL INTERRUPT...

Mervis don't give advice on tech you don't/can't even use yourself

Last edited:

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
Because THAT'S something that is appropriate to talk about on an online forum. I left my location empty on smashboards for a reason.

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
Because THAT'S something that is appropriate to talk about on an online forum. I left my location empty on smashboards for a reason.
That is p dumb bud... all you have to do is google Mervis (samus) and your videos come up from DFW Melee Tourney Locator

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
That is p dumb bud... all you have to do is google Mervis (samus) and your videos come up from DFW Melee Tourney Locator
I'm totally aware that I'm not hard to find but it's not up to you to disclose that information out to people. This thread went from me getting bullied to me getting my information shared and it's not ok.

Litt

Samus
I'm totally aware that I'm not hard to find but it's not up to you to disclose that information out to people. This thread went from me getting bullied to me getting my information shared and it's not ok.
Information that is easily accessible for anyone with half a brain is not something that you should be upset about... thats like asking where is Hugs from. Oh cali... cool. As for the bullying, if you perceived that as bullying perhaps consider the actions on your part that led to PCP and myself speaking to you in such a way. It certainly did not come out of nowhere.

Last edited:
I googled you on my own. I would give you a compliment but it would further confuse Litt (lol i'm such a nice guy) so I'll share it in-person.

I'm going to Texas for a month. I won't be near you but I'm friends with UTD Zac, if you know him. I actually haven't told him yet but he's a cool cat, I'll probably visit him at some point, which should be within your area. (he's in atlanta this weekend for the pro tour, he's pro at magic now, you know.)

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
I googled you on my own. I would give you a compliment but it would further confuse Litt (lol i'm such a nice guy) so I'll share it in-person.

I'm going to Texas for a month. I won't be near you but I'm friends with UTD Zac, if you know him. I actually haven't told him yet but he's a cool cat, I'll probably visit him at some point, which should be within your area. (he's in atlanta this weekend for the pro tour, he's pro at magic now, you know.)
Yeah I know UTD Zac. Not personally but I've spoken to him a bit. Cool dude.

I guess I'll keep an eye out for you..

Litt

Samus

Shet man! Google, that thing is p cool its the future of information finding. Btw i have no qualms with you complimenting mervis, there were certainly highlights of his play in that set I posted which i did not mention. Reason being, the point I was emphasizing is he talks a big game about tech but doesn't even use it. Players fall along multiple different spectrums of movement, accessible tech, mental choices and execution to list a few, and Mervis is certainly not bottom of the barrel, ive seen much worse on here.

Last edited:

BallsKick

Smash Rookie
Shet man! Google, that thing is p cool its the future of information finding. Btw i have no qualms with you complimenting mervis, there were certainly highlights of his play in that set I posted which i did not mention. Reason being, the point I was emphasizing is he talks a big game about tech but doesn't even use it. Players fall along multiple different spectrums of movement, accessible tech, mental choices and execution to list a few, and Mervis is certainly not bottom of the barrel, ive seen much worse on here.
Like you?

Barbie/Klit/Litt I've been a lurker here for a long time and you talk a lot of **** but you also suck major balls. Have you ever actually taken a set off of a good player in all your years of ****posting and acting like a huge egotistic chode? You act like you're some sort of Samus god and then call out everyone else for sharing information or ideas like you're the best samus to ever live and only your opinion matters

Just cause Mervis doesn't spam AI and shffmc doesn't mean his ideas aren't correct. There's nothing wrong with what he posted. Top samuses use AI all the time, and some samuses even use shffmc, and are so consistent at it that they do it many times a game in neutral, etc.

Mervis don't give advice on tech you don't/can't even use yourself
The point of these boards is to have discussion. It doesn't matter who is saying the thing as long as what they're saying is correct or viable in some way. shffmc might not be viable to YOU cause you'll never be good enough to actually consistently do them, but there ARE samuses that work it into their neutral.

Oh yeah, and please show me some examples of you "slingshot wavedashing" cause I've seen some of your sets on youtube and even the inventor of the "tech" seems to know that it's beyond ******** to ever do in neutral, or ever, by the amount he uses it in his gameplay, which is zero.

Litt

Samus
Like you?

Barbie/Klit/Litt I've been a lurker here for a long time and you talk a lot of **** but you also suck major balls. Have you ever actually taken a set off of a good player in all your years of ****posting and acting like a huge egotistic chode? You act like you're some sort of Samus god and then call out everyone else for sharing information or ideas like you're the best samus to ever live and only your opinion matters

Just cause Mervis doesn't spam AI and shffmc doesn't mean his ideas aren't correct. There's nothing wrong with what he posted. Top samuses use AI all the time, and some samuses even use shffmc, and are so consistent at it that they do it many times a game in neutral, etc.

The point of these boards is to have discussion. It doesn't matter who is saying the thing as long as what they're saying is correct or viable in some way. shffmc might not be viable to YOU cause you'll never be good enough to actually consistently do them, but there ARE samuses that work it into their neutral.

Oh yeah, and please show me some examples of you "slingshot wavedashing" cause I've seen some of your sets on youtube and even the inventor of the "tech" seems to know that it's beyond ******** to ever do in neutral, or ever, by the amount he uses it in his gameplay, which is zero.
Hmm, I can link you sets where I consistently hax dash... AI and plenty of other stuffz, however no I haven't worked slingshot wavedashing in yet because I still have other priorities on my list of tech to work in. I disagree with you however with players unable to do tech, recommending it. Since well if they cannot even do the tech, they cannot understand how to fits into higher level game play appropriately. Every tech has uses... no doubt but this is the difference between monkey see and monkey do, or do not in this case. I also created the AI shai drop tech and you can see that quite prevalent in my gameplay now.... same argument you used, just because a player can use a high level tech doesnt mean they will always do so... I keep my slingshot wd on the dl for secret occations ;p

I haven't competed for over 2 years now, and thats because I was in grad school and never could go to nationals. Undoubtably you got me there on the "good player" taking a set, because ive never had my break out and big upset yet. However there are few players out there I can't take games from, so your jab at me not being active I could care less about. It doesn't take anything away from my skill or aptitude for the game.

Lastly, mervis cant spam AI or SHFFMC because he has not incorporated them into his game as he has claimed... yet proof is in the pudding and you defending him isn't going to change that, go watch his recent sets. Most top samuses prefer the no impact land from the ledge instead of AI b/c they arent consistent enough at it... again nothing wrong with that, but you are trying to create an arguement about 2 different sides of different arguments... consistent high level tech... vs ability to get results. Mervis hasn't achieved either, yet you just wanna try and come in here and say ohhh Litt you aint hot **** you didnt get a big W yet so stfu.

You literally created your account yesterday, and probally just want to hide who you really are so I can't use anything against you aside from... oh look at that noob account. My best placing so far was 9th at a regional with... Hax, Zero, Slox, Swiftbass, MDZ and Th0rn present... Ive taken Swiftbass to game 5 of GF sets before so seriously kid just beat it. Whatever you are trying to accomplish aside from bating me from writing an essay explaining how incompetent your reasoning and logic is by trying to step up to me. So i suck major balls? hmm sureyourite ://///

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
hmmmm some reason I quoted myself and posted.... here is cute kittah instead

Last edited:

BallsKick

Smash Rookie
no I haven't worked slingshot wavedashing in yet because I still have other priorities on my list of tech to work in.
Because it's utterly useless
I disagree with you however with players unable to do tech, recommending it. Since well if they cannot even do the tech, they cannot understand how to fits into higher level game play appropriately.
Perhaps Mervis is able to AI and shffmc, but chooses not to attempt them in tournament because he does not have them consistent enough for the risk/reward ratio to be in his favor. Although I've never met Mervis, he seems like he practices tech enough that he CAN do AI and shffmc, but decides to focus on easier tech during tournament matches, which is understandable. Maybe Mervis has gotten really good tricky movement in friendlies when he uses AI and can recommend it because in some situations, it actually does work for him.

Again, the point of the boards is to DISCUSS different options Samus has, determine whether they're viable and in what situations they're likely to yield the most use. What you're doing is attacking Mervis because you looked through videos of him saw he didn't AI/shffmc. Just because the person talking about the tech doesn't do it consistently in tournament doesn't necessarily mean it is useless and will be useless forever. The person talking about the tech is completely irrelevant, all that matters is whether it's useful or not.

Undoubtably you got me there on the "good player" taking a set, because ive never had my break out and big upset yet.
And yet you still berate mid-level players for not beating players at a higher level than them, and have always acted with an heir of pretentiousness when speaking to new players like they should all listen to YOU because you know better than them.
so seriously kid just beat it.
Like that.

Litt

Samus
Because it's utterly useless

Perhaps Mervis is able to AI and shffmc, but chooses not to attempt them in tournament because he does not have them consistent enough for the risk/reward ratio to be in his favor. Although I've never met Mervis, he seems like he practices tech enough that he CAN do AI and shffmc, but decides to focus on easier tech during tournament matches, which is understandable. Maybe Mervis has gotten really good tricky movement in friendlies when he uses AI and can recommend it because in some situations, it actually does work for him.

Again, the point of the boards is to DISCUSS different options Samus has, determine whether they're viable and in what situations they're likely to yield the most use. What you're doing is attacking Mervis because you looked through videos of him saw he didn't AI/shffmc. Just because the person talking about the tech doesn't do it consistently in tournament doesn't necessarily mean it is useless and will be useless forever. The person talking about the tech is completely irrelevant, all that matters is whether it's useful or not.

And yet you still berate mid-level players for not beating players at a higher level than them, and have always acted with an heir of pretentiousness when speaking to new players like they should all listen to YOU because you know better than them.

Like that.
No I am attacking Mervis because he has trolled and acted like an annoying little brother to me on the boards for the past year so whenever he spews out crap I call him out on it.

DUDE YOU LITERALLY COUNTER YOUR OWN ARGUMENTS TOWARD ME IN YOUR OWN POST...

no I haven't worked slingshot wavedashing in yet because I still have other priorities on my list of tech to work in.
Because it's utterly useless... now refer to your own argument... vvv

"Just because the person talking about the tech doesn't do it consistently in tournament doesn't necessarily mean it is useless and will be useless forever"

YOUR opinion of the boards is to DISUCSS different options Samus has... it can also be used to video critique other players or have pointless arguments like this one... you using it for that very purpose discredits your intended use of the boards.

Hmm well I have disproven each of your points... some with the very arguments you used to talk down to me about a tech I discovered. So really you are just trying to step up to me, and failing to do so.

Oooo also minty and I made Samus S tier on netplay, so g2 gimme some cred for that too ;p I was also power ranked in my region before retiring despite rarely traveling out of state the way it was, so I don't just talk out of my ass or down to new players for no reason. I spoke down to mervis for claiming that he flat out incorporated SHFFMC and AI into his neutral game despite clearly not doing so.

Last edited:

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
No I am attacking Mervis because he has trolled and acted like an annoying little brother to me on the boards for the past year so whenever he spews out crap I call him out on it.
The slingshot wavedash is a good example of me "trolling" you right?

Litt

Samus
The slingshot wavedash is a good example of me "trolling" you right?
Plenty of cases I can bring forward of you trolling me... ill compile a good list this weekend just to display how much I disdain you specifically. Not just any random user or noobie, but ample reason that justifies me disliking your presence on any post I make. We arent cool nor have we been for a while, but you go on treating me like I'm some buddy of yours that you can just mess with. Even Ballskick knows my rep despite being "active" for a day, yet you continually poked the bear.

Also B BallsKick slingshot wavedashing is an extension of using the slide animation to boost momentum... which can be transitioned to tech regarding: edge of a platform run slingshots... quite applicable since the turn around animation slow down is not applicable here, and platform running boosts into shai drops which carry the momentum into a waveland. So you are very wrong about it being useless

Last edited:

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
Plenty of cases I can bring forward of you trolling me... ill compile a good list this weekend just to display how much I disdain you specifically. Not just any random user or noobie, but ample reason that justifies me disliking your presence on any post I make. We arent cool nor have we been for a while, but you go on treating me like I'm some buddy of yours that you can just mess with. Even Ballskick knows my rep despite being "active" for a day, yet you continually poked the bear.
We were never cool dude. I'm pretty sure your first post directed at me was filled with rage for some unknown reason. You tend overreact to basically anything posted on smashboards. You are notorious for being disliked by a lot of people. If a large percent of people who are aware of you have individual issues with you, then shouldn't you think about who is causing the problem? It's doubtful that it's everyone BUT you.

As for me? I can't resist a good laugh. The thing is, it's usually a playful prodding. Never anything offensive or harmful. To tell you the truth I was curious if it would get you to lighten up at the start of it all, but at this point it's pretty funny. You honestly should have put me on your mute list like a year ago lol. So go ahead and compile that list. I know I will read the hell out of something like that and enjoy it.

Litt Litt Mervis Mervis B BallsKick

Look, I'll break it down for you guys so everyone can remember these important points.

1. AI/SHFFLMC and any other neutral tech were obvious since Melee's birth.

There, that's it. That's all you have to remember. So why does this thread exist, then?
Some samus player (obviously new) says yo, i'm super new; gimme a meta tech list (presumably so i can look up the individual tech myself).

Like, we don't have to reinvent the wheel here. This guy will figure out the tech later on if he wants to. We're not Jigglypuff mains (just do x, y, and see you've already won).

So I give him what he needs for 80% of the time but also for 99% of his matchups, basically following the pareto principle of 80-20 and filling in the rest of his potential questions with tech videos. Sure, I shouldn't have excluded SHFFMC I GUESS but my error was for tech used for less than 1% of the time, averaged across all competitive samuses.

So why the hold up? Because Y-skilled player (Litt...) is upset that X-skilled player (Mervis, in 99% of Litt's cases) is dreadfully saying the obvious "You should use Y-tech" with no non-obvious context or explanation. Litt wants there to be a reason that that advice exists and that without that explanatory context that advice is bunk, for these two reasons:

a. it's obvious there should be [context], otherwise it's an "obvious-obvious"
b. why would you not [provide said context], even if it was obvious

In other words, X-skilled player can't live up to Y-skilled player's expectations of "usefulness" because X-skilled player can't reliably (it is possible by non-performance-based means, like I'm doing right now) provide specific Y-skilled context for Y-tech, as shown via the dunning-kruger effect, which I already brought up (and Litt pointed out).

Of course, Mervis can bring up as much as he wants, it's not his fault if Litt is too frustrated at the world for not giving him what he expects from it. Litt needs to learn that you can relax and forgive yourself, life is about the perfection of persistence, and not about the quality or quantity of ones efforts but that through persistence comes these things.

Litt

Samus
We were never cool dude. I'm pretty sure your first post directed at me was filled with rage for some unknown reason. You tend overreact to basically anything posted on smashboards. You are notorious for being disliked by a lot of people. If a large percent of people who are aware of you have individual issues with you, then shouldn't you think about who is causing the problem? It's doubtful that it's everyone BUT you.

As for me? I can't resist a good laugh. The thing is, it's usually a playful prodding. Never anything offensive or harmful. To tell you the truth I was curious if it would get you to lighten up at the start of it all, but at this point it's pretty funny. You honestly should have put me on your mute list like a year ago lol. So go ahead and compile that list. I know I will read the hell out of something like that and enjoy it.
Prodding someone who doesnt like you doesnt get them to open up, it furthers their contempt towards you. As I recall, here is my first post towards you... rather light, maybe a little cocky, but a helpfu videol and :o look at that I did not pick on you.

Mervis: I've been playing for a few months now and I seriously lack in tech skill. I can accomplish most of Samus' "high level tech", but not consistently. Anyone have any good methods on practicing alone?

Me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7dTYVM6E_s&index=3&list=PL084955A761454F77

Practice this ****, and then you can say you are good at high level samus tech, till then keep practicing, (Yes I can do this all myself)

and guess what we proceed to have a conversation about SHFFMCs :O you say they are so hard, you couldnt do it once, wait nm you could do it once after a re-edit.

Me: Doing it once doesnt prove you a top tier samus, doing it consistently doesnt prove it either, phanna was barley a top samus despite mastering it all, what makes you a top samus is results, and if you have none to speak of, you shouldnt be bragging. The best way to find out if you are a top samus is from someone else or winning events, rather than wanting it to happen, chill out, practice and if you are good enough people will recognize, till then just shut up and practice your tech.

^^ Legitimate and helpful advice ...

Edit: no **** it is hard Sherlock... its called advanced for a reason...

^^^ me ending on a light note by joking around about the difficult of the tech... you take my reputation and deem that as me being an asshat to you... so here starts out feud

You: Haha! I knew you would respond in that way dude. Take a breather man it was a joke.

Of course I knew it was a joke, these boards as kickballs said are for advice and discusses samuses related tech so gave you actual advice as a new player on here to which you took to joke around.

Here is the next time we butt heads... you as a completely unknown samus wants to throw out the info that SHFFMC isnt that hard nor will it take forever to master... here you are a year down the road and still have not "mastered" it. Thoughts on how you were a cocky noobie?

You: Honestly though it hasn't taken me that long. In my thread about Samus drills I mention I've never done it once. It's been about a week an a half and although I can't do it consistently, I can manage to SHFFMC about 40%. I'm getting close to accomplishing that Samus missile drill you linked. I'm not saying I'm going to master the tech anytime soon, but saying it takes forever is silly.

Me: ... any schmuck can get the timing down if they work at it enough, but what you are not looking at in that video are the ledge canceled missiles, as well as the running off fast fall missiles from the low hanging plats, which is in fact harder than shffmcs, and yeah cool 40% of the time not in match... nowwww imagine you having someone running at you and you need to get this 2 frame window down of fast falling and getting the missile out... on top of spacing it correct as to not get ****ed up trying to get this tech out. There has really only been one samus that could do it consistently in tourney, and thats Knuts, everyone else is pretty much like yeah.... i can kinda do it, but when it comes down to it, i wouldnt rely on it in tourney b/c id prob get **** on b/c I cant do it 100%, the difficult of any tech in this game is not unattainable, wave shining multi shines, w/e you want, to learn it in a week or two is certain feasible, and im not disagreeing, but to actually effectively implement into your game is the hard part

^ Seriously just read this, it is still good advice that applies to you, however you were too ignorant to take it the first time.

You: That's a fair statement, but I thought run off missiles are easier. Honestly I started landing those before I did actual SHFFMC. In the end, all tech is just tech right? It's something you practice to just to move your hands quicker. Implementing anything in an actual game is different than learning the tech. Why do you put newer players down man?

Again I am not putting you down... I am giving you a realistic expectation of what it takes to play samus at the competetive level which I am sure you understand now differently than you did a year ago.

Me: Running off yoshis and Pkmn into a fast fall missile? Either you weren't fast falling or you are a very promising new samus. Correct, tech is just tech, :? you can waveshine someone across the stage into an upsmash... useful as hell, but if you cant implement in game... then its useless to have that ability. And its not putting anyone down, Im giving you realistic expectations, if you find them discouraging, then Im sorry, but this is a competitive game bud

Look here at your arrogance as a new player, flat out saying you got this down and don't worry that tech I said takes forever to master, and you a year down the road without a glance of it in your neutral, you cannot honestly say I was putting you down.

You: I'm not new to competitive gaming. The way I see it, you should be happy new players are willing to attempt to main a sub god-tier character. There's a billion fox falco mains out there. Realistic expectations don't help you improve. I never thought I could do short hop platform missiles but now I do them like they are nothing. Realistic expectations are silly in a game like melee. I personally don't get discouraged by you (encouraged if anything), but it still kind of irks me the way you flaunt about on the Samus boards.

And yes, fast fall off Pokemon platforms into MC. I actually did it today several times today in friendlys with my brother. As much as I dislike your tone, I respect you as a player. Your compliment means a lot.

Wowwww a time when we got along :')

Me: The point of what I say is to encourage, so even thought you may dislike how I go about things, you are still inspired to prove me wrong and master all the tech. Thats awesome that you are able to utalize that missile tech in matches now, however something I noticed, the more technical I got with samus, the less I would focus on the MU themselves, and more on just getting the tech out, always have to keep in mind that our character has meh priority and we just have to be smart above all else, we have loads of options but if we always choose the most technical, thats an easy way to get read as well. I look forward to seeing a technical samus out there, love watching them because its a sight you still dont get to see much anymore. #RipPhanna

Some time goes by...
Me: sir... if you think an even MU or close to that for space animals is reason to switch... then you really should. The way MUs work is given that the players are around the same level of skill (mental and tech) they will win, 50% of the time in a 50:50 Mu... If you are constantly losing to space animals, there is something fundamentally wrong with the way you are playing relative to the people you are playing and it is not your character, you have the tools to play against spacies, the question is do you use them properly and effectively? If you had said puff or sheik... beyond understandable, I just lost GF to a peach main last night who i was wrecking, who pulled out a pocket puff when he was down 0-2... fml do I need to get better at that MU

You:It's not that I constantly lose to spacies, it's that most players become successful by switching to them. **** that. I don't want to just win. I want to win with my favorite character. People have done it before, and I will do it again. Like I said, I just want a Samus buddy in the area. I guess the only way that will happen is to make Samus look OP and get these nerds to switch mains AGAIN.

Its funny, if you hadnt trolled me and decided to be on opposing sides, you would have gotten a samus buddy that came to your area...

Hax dash thread later on...

You:
Your best bet is aerial interrupt ...dash? I think that would be 100% invincible.
That's hard af. Plus I think the wavedash back onto the ledge would have 1 or 2 frames of non-invincibility. Couldn't say for sure though as I can barely AI.

^ why are you even commenting if you don't even do the tech... and don't have the means of testing it?!?

Me later on in the the thread responding to JerkPhil (miss you jerk): Yes you can haxdash with full invins, I have tested it out myself frame by frame, and I attempt to do it sometimes against really quality marth and fox players

YOU LITERALLY THE NEXT POST: *Ehem*

Jerk Phil: I don't have access to action replay to test it myself, and I haven't seen any video or frame data for it either.
If Barbie says it's possible, I guess it is. I'm just saying I haven't seen any evidence yet.

You: That was a jab at Barbie. He claimed but didn't prove evidence so we really aren't any closer to answering the question. Not to say he can't, but it would be nice to see for ourselves.

^ Here starts why I disdain you... Instead of saying, hey barb, mind posting that frame data when you get a chance... you think its a good idea to jab me instead.

TO WHICH I GIVE A VERRYYYY CLAM COLLECTED AND NON ASSHOLE RESPONSE

Me; One did not ask for the evidence, one asked if it was possible, I said I have tested it and my word is the evidence, should you want me to take frame by frame pics and upload it, ill get to it later this week. However logically it is possible to understand how it is possible as well, just from the understanding that samus gets 11 frames from a perfect AI, then add 4 frames from the landing lag for samus being over the lip of the stage and not performing the up air to get the AI, so you are at 15 frames, which gives you ample time to wd into a fast fall to grab ledge. Also I believe there is a post by Sung666 in the samus AI thread giving that info about the haxdash.

Oh would you look at that, I really was done with you after that last jab, Also, that jab was not necessary at all, I said one more, and Im ****ing done, I am blocking you as a user on smash boards now Mervis, this is my way of taking the higher ground, so do not expect me to see any further posts from you or reply to anything you ask.

Instead of taking my words of fustration towards the way you were speaking to me seriously, you write it off with an lol w/e;
Lol alright then. I wasn't trying to insult you or anything but so what you gatta do man!

I'm pretty sure it was discussed somewhere that no one has discovered a way to hax dash with Samus. AI isn't THAT new so I figured it was still impossible to achieve 100% invincibility. People can claim all they want; I won't believe it until I see it.

But waittttt.... then you finally ****ing ask for what you wanted instead of ****ing around and taking a jab at me like you should have at first:
I'm not trying to call anyone out here, and I'm not discrediting you on your Samus skill. But I have yet to actually see it happen. I've read a handful of Samus claiming it, but smash players claim a lot of things. Can someone please just record themselves doing it so I can rest easy?

Smash players do claim a lot of things, you specifically are one to claim a lot.

You: THIS WAS THE **** I WANTED!!!!

Seriously, all this frame data is orgasmic. I knew prodding Barbie was a good idea.

Instead of proding me you should have just asked me nicely, now I dont like you at this point and you are on my ignore list despite it still showing me when you comment on my own posts...

Despite disliking you I still try to end on a good note:
Watch out for who you prod bud, Barbie took Ken for his Malibu beach house, Malibu beach car, and all his friends, and he prodded her for a while... but really **** gets done on here when I am involved whether its for the better or worse ;)

You: Idk how I feel about that......

Seriously though, thanks for delivering. My homework load just got bigger!

well you certainly know how you feel about it now.

Next thread... mini charge shot jab resets: I make my post about how I got that affect to occur when a cpt falcon missed tech the mini shot hit him during the bounce of the missed tech and jab reset....

you come in and take my thread away from its intended purpose because you felt like dropping this knowledge bomb:
In a somewhat similar vein, when getting tilted/smashed (Anything that puts you in air stun) if you charge shot right as you land, it usually stops an approaching character. It also returns you to a neutral state so you can't be tech chased.

yeah no this is a bad... sorry.... very bad idea, very punishable .... marth can fair through it, fox nair through, falcon nair through, peach nair through... this is literally only good if the opponent just runs into the mini shot as if they are blind.

Oooo here is another knowledge bomb you drop thinking you are contibuting to the topic i started... but really you are just taking away from the jab reset discussion I wanted to have with that thread instead of you making your own discussion about uses for mini charge shot.

You: A lot of Samus' aspects are very punishable. It's just like neutral bombing, Up-B oos, etc. All extremely punishable. It's just another defensive option I feel like Samus has to stop aggression.

Next person to post: A lot of Samus' aspects are very punishable. It's just like neutral bombing, Up-B oos, etc. All extremely punishable. It's just another defensive option I feel like Samus has to stop aggression.

Me: ^
(my message had to be at least 10 characters but all I really wanted to say was .... ^ )

You:
In DFW there is a very skilled Yoshi player. He stopped playing Yoshi, but I've learned a decent amount about the MU. Samus wins the match up pretty hard. Getting grabbed is a serious issue for Samus, but if you have even an OK reaction time you should be able to avoid getting grabbed by Yoshi. Yoshi's OOS options are still very dangerous, so avoid going hard on the pressure. If you space out Yoshi, he's pretty bad. Basically playing standard Samus will take you far. Stay grounded, space and missile, and approach for a punish.

Again as I said before and applies back then, don't give advice on MUs if you dont understand them. Me getting POed at you for spewing out incorrect information v

What the hell are you talking about? yoshi doesnt have OoS options besides shield dropping from plats and rolling.... you can pressure the **** out of yoshi and break their shield from just jabbing if they dont roll out in which case you can read into a wd dsmash or dtilt to start a combo. only smart yoshi players will light shield you can never really pressure them, but then the dynamic of the match changes. You honestly have no clue wtf you are talking about Mervis, don't give advice when you are not experienced or knowledgeable in what you talk about.

Your next response to that post... "Ur cute"

REALLLY DUDE... someone who just corrected you, and already disliked you from your prods you think thats the best way to continue the thread... waste of space, pointless, and just meant to antagonize

Now the next time HERE WE GO THE SLING SHOT WAVE DASH THREAD...

You: That looks sort of useful. It's a mixup and and extension of ftilt pressure although I don't think it extends as long as you would think.

I know exactly how long it extends and the noticeable difference was the reason I took the time out to make the thread and video... you throwing in that snide commend does nothing but continue my distaste for everything you post.

You: How many frames is the turnaround, because I feel like a fox or falcon could punish pretty easily. The distance seems nice but I feel like 2 wavedashes comes out just as fast if not faster. I can't really say for certain though because I don't know frame data. I think all this really has going for it is the mixup, which is really inline with what most Samus players do.

You: Barbie man. When I start criticizing the tech (THE TECH MIND YOU), that's when present arguments to defend said tech. That's all you have to do. I love dissecting the pros and cons in everything. It's not a personal jab.

I've messed around with it, and all it really accomplishes is a different way to approach with an ftilt. Like I said, two wave dashes would easily accomplish exactly this in less(?) frames. Also, it might extend the second wave dash, but you are essentially replacing one wavedash with a turnaround, hence why it would be better to just do a full wavedash twice. I'm not underestimating the mixup value at all. It's a great way to bait someone out of a defensive option due to them trying to punish a turnaround. Please criticize my thoughts without losing your temper. I'd be happy to see why I am wrong without having you cry a wall of tears @@Barbie. You seem like a smart dude, you just lose your head in EVERY SINGLE THREAD. Seriously, I've never seen you just be a cool Samus dude.

You are attached to those personal jabs you add onto the crtiques and pros and cons you do. You already have in mind I DONT LIKE YOU and already asked you to not comment on my posts as a result yet you continued to do so. When you ask questions about a tech, it is seeking information about it. When you flap your gums you are stating fact which needs to be discredited by other players and you do so on a whim just to be my antagonizer. If you want to see how you are wrong, ask and you will be spoken to kindly, blather off like an idiot as if what you say is fact, you will be spoken down to. Which is how to created my perception of you as a person and player. Someone who would rather speak their mind first and be wrong, than put in the time to ask and understand.

You: @Barbie I'm not reading any of that.

Me: You are wrong and proven as such, leave my post, you are no longer welcome to discuss it especially if you don't read my responses just say... TLDR

You : Hey thanks @@BillNyeTheSamusGuy, you explained the viability more clearly. In short this is just a slightly safer slightly shorter double wavedash WITH mixup properties. What does the wavedash back after the turnaround look like? Is the distance affected at all?

Me: I explained it perfectly clear you just didnt read it because of the insults as a result of trying to challenge me with you incompetent option first instead of just asking for clarity originally. I state again, leave my post Mervis, you are not welcomed.

You flat out ignore my first response because it is riddled with insults from your initial "critique" that was just flat out wrong and ignorant, now you are ignoring what I say and only listened to bill nye (a samus who was facinated by the application of the tech from the start and basically just rewrote what I said without the insults)

I state again, leave my post Mervis, you are not welcomed.

You: Make me ;)

^ you wonder why I disdain you?

You: How does the turnaround extend the wave dash? Does the game just think you are in a place you are not?

^ WTF IS THIS ****, you are able to ask questions to other members but when it comes to me... nope you just flap your gums and expect me to correct everything, but nope you never ask me things you just state them and try to butt heads up to this point despite being proven wrong on EVERY instance

You: I've been thinking about this tech a lot as well as messing around with it, and I've been a little underwhelmed. In the situation of Samus dash dancing and you start the turnaround animation, 9/10 the other player will go for the punish. This isn't that bad, but the goal of this tech is to pressure them from a distance. That doesn't seem too likely in any situation. The wavedash increase doesn't feel like +3/4. It feels much much smaller. The wavedash back from the turnaround also feels gimped like I suspected. I only really played with it for 20 mins or so but I couldn't really accomplish a max distance wavedash out of the turnaround. Which means you are heavily committing to a forward poke. A Falcon knee could easily cover all the space behind the samus. Even if you aren't committing to the SLWD, you are kind of gimping your defensive options. Realistically, this is a niche tech. Kinda neat, but niche.

Me: Again you really are really really really really incompetent, just because YOU are getting punished for it... doesn not mean it is easily punishable, when you notice your opponent coming in after you do the run turn around to punish you... YOU WAVEDASH BACK INTO UP TILT MID TURN AROUND, which is a bait into getting your opponent into approaching you because they believed you done messed up... you need to understand that this is a large distance you are trying to cover, and you will be exposed until the point of commitment, whether it be going forward into the extended distance to ftilt because you know your opponent isnt going to enter into the area between the SL and the WD, ORRRRR this is the big orrr... you can wavedash back during the SLWD to punish incoming approaches... your advice and critique is not wanted here, I have told you to get off my post 3 times now, so listen already and scram.

You: I haven't once said anything about my credibility. I'm only dissecting the tech. You are delusional my friend.

If you wavedash back uptilt, wouldn't you get stuffed before the uptilt hitbox comes out? Even an ftilt would trade with the tilt and in neutral a knee is way better than an ftilt.

^ you are analyzing it from your vantage point of being an unexperienced player and talking as if what applies to you, also applies to other players

You want the rest... go re read the SLWD thread, this novel is enough for now

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
PCP is right though this thread is horribly of topic. I'm done here cya

Top Bottom