• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Rant On Training Mode

Stelfe

Smash Apprentice
Okay.. I've had enough of this CPU bull****.
It seems that Sakurai wanted to haunt us even more, even after tripping, by implanting a super computer dodge system for any half descent CPU.

So it seems he just wants us all to miss everything and trip, eh?
Well, I'm okay with this... to an extent.

Ah yes, training mode, this is where it all gets screwy.

So.. Suppose you wanted to just test out this new combo on training mode, before you realize that it won't work and you'll end up suiciding in a real match.
So you go ahead and try, and what happens??
EVERY FRICKING TIME THE CPU (even when set to "stop") IS IN THE AIR IT'S LIKE FRICKIN AIR DODGE FEST!!!!!!!!!
GAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH!!!!!

Discuss.

R. Olivaw

Smash Cadet
yeah it blows. Try this: practice by playing 1v1 and set your opponent as a human or second controller. That way they won't air dodge. set it to 99 stock or something.

PredictablyStubborn

Smash Apprentice
I don't use training mode. Hit decay doesn't exist in training mode if I recall correctly.

I train on level 1 CPUs, or a "human" with no actual person behind controller 2.

Sakurai hates us.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
The OP cracked me up. lol Seriously. Nice use of "Discuss." after a CAPS LOCK fury. rofl

But yeah I think it's crap too. I like that they recover but having them air dodge is just stupid.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I would just advise not to use training mode. It's handy to be able to control speed and generate items, yes, but it doesn't have move decay, so any results related to a combo you might come to via training mode wouldn't necessarily hold up in a real situation. I'd suggest an infinite timed match with a lvl 1 cpu or an unused second controller.

Mann

Smash Ace
I STRONGLY advise to use training mode if you want to figure out what what moves can do what at which percentage on whatever character you want to see it go against.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
Well, yeah, if you want to investigate situations where moves will perform at their fullest potential every time, then you should use training mode, since there's no move decay. It allows you to reliably repeat experiments with different moves, and the ability to change the opponents damage % at will is helpful.

If you want to investigate a potential "combo" which may very likely repeat a move, though, like the OP, you want to make sure you're taking move decay into account, because move decay will come into play in any real situation where you would attempt to utilize said combo. It might be a good idea to kill yourself between trials, though, so your moves aren't over-decayed for what you intend to test.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
The 1/4 speed option in training mode is important though. It's one of the only ways to see what's truly a combo and what isn't.

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
I usually warm up by knocking around a computer in training mode, on "attack", and I try to use every move at least once, since I have the bad habit of becoming extremely limited in the heat of battle.

Computers aren't difficult to me, really. You just have to watch training against them, because they're nothing like humans, and it's the quickest way to limit your moveset. Use it sparingly.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Fools, the air dodges just show you the threshold of the (very short) hit stuns that you need to worry about after your attacks.

LOLhahaDEAD

Smash Cadet
The only time I've ever used training was so I could watch a few characters Final Smashes when I first got the game. Overall, it's fairly useless now.

templar rage

Smash Cadet
The only time I've ever used training was so I could watch a few characters Final Smashes when I first got the game. Overall, it's fairly useless now.
Agreed. I use Infinite Time Brawl with the Wiimote I used to start the game as the second character.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I was hoping that training mode this time around would have more depth. I wish that you can make the computer do a certain move over and over again. I wish you could tell it to jump off the ledge and try to save itself so you can figure out how to intercept them(aka IKE!)
But also wish you could tell it when to attack so you can practice your super armor or perfect shield instead of imputing the buttons in the other controller and quickly switching to yours. They should have something similar to star wars that trains the Jedi's with their light sabers.

Zenonfury

Smash Cadet
Training has its uses, just limited, why go there when you can punch a punching bag for 10 mins waiting to connect to others on wifi haha

MIRN

Smash Cadet
Actually, I would say training mode has helped me adapt to players who play very defensively, because of the excessive dodging. I agree it's annoying though, and at times I'll say "I know a real person would not have been able to dodge that!" I have found that the level 8 CPU has a bit less superhuman dodging sense, and I also like to warm up a bit in training mode. Nothing beats fighting real players for training, but wifi is too laggy for that; so barring having a friend over to train with you, it's your best bet for learning what works or to practice some techniques.

Samuman

Smash Apprentice
yeah it blows. Try this: practice by playing 1v1 and set your opponent as a human or second controller. That way they won't air dodge. set it to 99 stock or something.
Instead I just go to practice instead of 1 on 1 and set the CPU to 'Controlled'.

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
Well I really like how you can now set the CPU's level, I spend a long time in training mode just fighting and testing moves and stuff.

One thing you guys should know about training mode is that knockback is very slightly reduced from what it would be in a real match. By about 3%, I'd say. Just keep it in mind. :bee:

I also think the combo counter is slightly borked, and sometimes doesn't count throws as consecutive hits even when they are. Like as Falcon, I did a landing uair against a 30% Bowser who WHARRGARBL'd against the wall, which had enough hitstun for me to get a consecutive ftilt after. But it wouldn't count a throw as consecutive, even though it clearly comes out faster! I even set the Bowser to human and had him mashing buttons, and he couldn't escape the uair -> throw combo, but the game still didn't count it as consecutive. Clearly there is some kind of conspiracy against Captain Falcon. :mad:

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I train against lv 4 CPUs just like i did in Melee >.>

In training mode the knockback and hit decay is vastly different than in normal vs matches. Also, I think the comps move the way they do in training mode to try to emulate human movement and show you what's a viable combo and what isn't.

Mario77

Smash Apprentice
WOW, JUST TURN THE CPU TO 'HUMAN' AND IT WONT MOVE LULZ, and run him back after you KO him, if you don't have a second controller, why are you playing smash bros.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Setting the CPU to human kinda defeats the purpose

Also they won't DI, recover or get off the ground for a while after being hit...there's no point. All this would do is make you believe you can pull off these combos when they're completely unrealistic to attempt against a real person.

Top Bottom