• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A question to anyone who has been around since the beginning of melee

controlfreak7

Smash Ace
Do you see any similarities in the reactions of the game to people? (for melee not in comparison to ssb64 unless you were around for that).

Like can you recall melee when all the pieces were disassembled, what did people/you think of it, etc.?

The reason I had to ask this question is because today I watched footage of melee and I started to miss it (which came as a surprise to me). It seems the people around me are all kind of starting to feel melee over brawl. I feel like for right now the only things thats keep me clung on to brawl is the fact that it is new, it has new characters, new physics, etc...

I know the question is kind of general, but I'm basically just asking you to give me what you remember from 2001 (or even before that) and compare it to now and whats going on with the reactions of people to brawl...

I know for example (but not 100% sure) that Isai played melee, but liked ssb64 more.

Is this example similar to the trend that is going on in smashers right now?

I want to see a growing and diverse community, but I don't want to see old players get replaced with unfamiliar faces and thats one of the main things i'm concerned about...

Loghog

Smash Rookie
It's something that is unavoidable, for every new game there will be old players that can't adapt or refuse to adapt to the new physics of gameplay, then newer players will emerge in the mist to replace their predecessors. So new and old will mix alike, it's the way the world works.

I for one use to hate brawl, but now i love it and can't stand playing the outdated graphics of melee, also the physics of melee pisses me off. I'm also new to smash forums!!!

plasmatorture

Smash Journeyman
I hated melee when it came out. It felt like a dumbed down, ultraspeed version of 64.
I hated melee until about two years ago when I finally got reinterested in the game and grew to love it.

I've recieved brawl way more warmly than I recieved melee, but then I have much less of a casual attitude than I did then.

WaffleGuyPerson

Smash Journeyman
I loved Melee when it came out. Seriously it was THE game. It's weird now, though. Because I only played Smash 64 for two years, the transition to Melee wasn't that much. But now, because I've played melee for what? 6 years? It's weird. I still feel some kind of attachment to it. But I still prefer Brawl. The problem now is that I'm sure there are a lot of people who are still REALLY attached to Melee, because they've been playing it for such a long period of time.

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman
I loved Melee when it came out. I remember playing Smash 64 with friends all the time and back then it was really just casual play (Falcon Punch is awesome regardless).

When Melee came out I loved every bit of it. Captain Falcon was just so awesome (I hadn't even discovered the knee yet, I went through a few different mains before I found out about it and made Captain Falcon my main again). I really hated how my brother owned me with falco regardless of what character I tried to use (tier list in action years before I had even heard of it :p).

I sort of quit playing it for a while, but then my freshmen year of highschool I started playing it again because there were a lot of people that played it during lunch. That was around the time when I transitioned to maining shiek and Link. It was really the transitional period of me going from pure casual play to competitive play. I just grew to love melee even more at this point.

I quit playing again for a while because I really didn't have anyone to play against. However, about a year ago I started playing again and when I really was playing melee competitively. I didn't think it was possible but the game just kept getting more and rewarding as more and more depth was unlocked for me. Also Captain Falcon getting even more awesome then before after discovering the knee was awesome.

I can't really say I feel the same about Brawl with its release... it could be that Captain Falcon isn't as awesome as he used to be. Or it could be that I sort of look at smash as a more competitive player now then as a casual player when melee came out.

I still like Brawl and think its fun though...

PredictablyStubborn

Smash Apprentice
I loved Melee when it came out, and was eager to get used to the game and learn how to become better in Melee. At first I thought Melee was worse than 64, because a lot of things were slower and harder, like grabbing and forming combos. However, I never once thought "These game developers suck."

For Brawl, I am eager to get used to this game, learn all the technical stuff, learn what's important to winning a match, and become better. But I honestly hate Brawl only because of tripping.

Yup. I am not exaggerating.
I hate this game because of tripping, and tripping alone.

Because tripping shows me what the developers had in mind, and what they think about players like you and me, the players who loves this game the most, and plays this game the most, for years and years to come.

Because tripping makes me feel like the game developers are spoiled, and don't deserve to be called professionals anymore. They are spoiled with great people like you and me, who would play their game, regardless of the trash they put in it.

I know they wanted to take out all the "advanced techniques" and "brokenness" of Melee. That's great because it meant they wanted to balance the game more.
But when the put TRIPPING in, it really crossed the line. Putting tripping in meant they didn't simply want to balance the game. It meant they wanted to take out all forms of competitive gameplay.

I feel like there's an adult with six children. The first four have fun being crazy children. The last two have fun reading books. The adult takes away the latter two children's books, gives them coloring books, and says: "This is the more normal way to have fun."

Azumouse

Smash Cadet
people warmed to melee alot less and slower than they warmed to brawl because it was the first change, now we have already experienced one change it's alot less of a blow. And then when we gave it a chance we loved it wich may happen with brawl; but it has less chance becasue of the removal of our speed, wavedashing and L canceling; but personally, i dont mind about those techniques being removed because they will be replaced with other techniques.

What i can't stand is our speed being removed, wich has almost abolished competetive playing in one foul swoop; BUT then they bring in mine and many other people's mortal enemy: tripping.. tripping is the most pointless, annoying and stupid thing sukurai has done with the game; im not even going into tripping any further it that bad -.-

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
When I got Melee, I went HOLY CRAP and dropped SSB (well I also never owned it, and by then it was no longer rent-able). When I got Brawl, I went HOLY CRAP and dropped Melee.

Well, I will keep playing Melee. Just not nearly as much.

Top Bottom