• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Question regarding the Freedom of Speech and Opinion

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Consider the following phrase:

"I think you should shut up."

We can confirm it is speech because it is being said/written/typed by one person to another.

However, at the same time, it suggests the other person stops talking, essentially infringing on that person's Freedom of Speech, especially of the person saying it is in a position of [social/political/fiscal/parental] power over the person being told to shut up.

That's a problem. I want to discuss ways to fix this paradox in a polite and well-thoughtout manner.

EZdelFresco

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CaliKid_E
I mean the person that was told, or suggested, to shut up doesn't HAVE to. You never really HAVE to shut up, but it's your problem to put up with the repercussions if you don't. Like if you not shutting up per the orders of your manager causes you to lose your job or something. And even if it did come to that, you could sue for wrongful termination on the basis that you were exercising your right to freedom of speech. May not get anywhere, but you still have that right. There's a line between exercising your rights and being defiant for the sake of being defiant. And often times that defiance can create even bigger problems that just aren't worth it down the stretch.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
If you don't shut up in a movie theatre, they have every right to throw you out, because you are ruining a product for others. If a child doesn't shut up in school, the teacher can discipline him and send him to the principals office, no questions asked. If you don't shutup during a board meeting, you will be fired. If you don't shut up when a customer walks into your store, they will walk out and you'll lose money. If someone who weighs 200 lbs more than you says "shut up," then you do it so that you don't get beat to ****.

I don't see any "paradox."

sovereigntea

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0146-9845-1024
I think Zizek said something along the lines of "the liberal idea of tolerance is intolerant of intolerance."

No matter how idealistic and liberal we might be we still have certain hypocrisies I'm afraid.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I don't see any paradox in that statement. They have the right to say that and it's not like they're actually forcing anybody to shut up; they're just saying that they believe one should shut up.

That being said, freedom of speech is actually a limitation on government and not on private entities. Whether things should actually be that way is of course up for debate, though I don't believe private entities should be able to punish people for speech or force people to keep their opinions to themselves.

IggyKoopaStar

Smash Rookie
NNID
IggyKoopaStar
3DS FC
5344-1460-7151
I guess it's better to at least take time to express a certain opinion instead of trying to retain thoughts. To keep everything without even being able to say a thing about something which might, say, disturb isn't really great. Instead, an important thing would be to take time to listen to each other and to let the other person express what they think, as long as it is in a reasonnable manner and not completely contradictory to the other.

The fact the other said to shut up as you were wanting to state something isn't really that great because they don't want to listen to what you think, and thus, cutting your freedom of speech because of how they do not want to hear about this thing you have in your mind. At least, if you were wanting to do so, it's indeed rude for someone to say that. I seriously wouldn't take someone to tell me that.

Desu_Maiden

Smash Cadet
If you believe in censorship, you obviously have a questionable agenda to promote. Censorship is the greatest form of evil. It is used by people in authority to either hide the truth or spread lies. If you believe in any form of censorship, you are clearly trying to promote some agenda i.e. you are trying to force other people to conform to your world views.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
If you believe in censorship, you obviously have a questionable agenda to promote. Censorship is the greatest form of evil. It is used by people in authority to either hide the truth or spread lies. If you believe in any form of censorship, you are clearly trying to promote some agenda i.e. you are trying to force other people to conform to your world views.
Not sure if you're accusing me of supporting censorship or just saying "you" in the "to whomever reads this" sense.

What happens when someone supports censorship and voices it? should they shut up to protect freedom of speech, or does that fundamentally go against free speech?

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Not sure if you're accusing me of supporting censorship or just saying "you" in the "to whomever reads this" sense.

What happens when someone supports censorship and voices it? should they shut up to protect freedom of speech, or does that fundamentally go against free speech?
Freedom of speech really just means the government can't take away your right to talk S*** about the government. You will be arrested for yelling "Fire" in a public area.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Freedom of speech really just means the government can't take away your right to talk S*** about the government. You will be arrested for yelling "Fire" in a public area.
Fair enough. However, I'm merely rephrasing my original question in a way that gets the gears in the other guy's head turning.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I don't know who you are referring to or where it takes place, but here in America if someone of power told someone below them (in terms of political standing) to shut up with, witnesses around, it would not end well for said person in political power.

If America is good at anything its blowing things out of porportion and giving a verbal beating, sometimes to people who deserve it.

Also, like the first replier said, it doesn't enfringe on freedom of speech because the person in power isn't "law". They can't force you to not speak nor do you have to listen therefore it isn't violating anyones rights. It just means he is an ***hole.

Top Bottom