• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

a possible Asheville, NC tournament (need feedback/advice)

pluto

Smash Cadet
if this is too long, feel free to skip the first 3 paragraphs. it's really just me rambling/providing some information and setting up for the real questions.

tournaments are never really held in my area. i live in waynesville, north carolina (30 minutes from asheville, which is where i would host my tournament). due to money/time constraints i've never really been able to make long drives either, so i was pretty much screwed when it came to competitive smash (which is a shame because i've been following the scene forever, and have been hooked on the game since the beginning of time itself and have played with friends forever). BUT last weekend i decided to make the 2 hour drive to SC for Tiger Smash and another tournament in NC 3 hours away again on sunday. because of these two events, the past two days have been some of the most fun i've had in years, and i'm completely addicted to smash tournaments already. i'm so happy to finally be involved in the competitive scene for my absolute favorite game. so naturally, i want to share this feeling with as many people as possible and try to attract players to my area and host a tournament of my own.

the biggest reason i want to do this now more than ever is because i have a friend (another lover of smash) who, long story short, won the lottery and was given quite a bit of money. what better way to use the money than to host a smash tournament with pot bonuses for incentive! together, i believe her and i

i've hosted plenty of events in the past, from concerts and shows and art events to tournaments for other games. i also host weekly smash nights at my house for friends, so that gives me at least a tiny bit of experience with smash events. i'm also very aware of the importance of seeding if it becomes necessary and understand how brackets/pools/eliminations work, so i am completely confident that i could handle an actual smash tournament in terms of organization/time management/etc.

my problem is my location (maybe, i'm not really sure how willing smash players are to travel for tournaments that aren't huge). although asheville is a pretty popular place, it's far away from the apparent key points in the atlantic south scene. SO my real question is are the pot bonuses enough of an encouragement for players to make the drive? let's say we have a $150 (minimum) pot bonus for each event (Melee and PM singles/doubles, 4 events total), and of course everyone's entry fee would be added, because we aren't taking any money for ourselves, PLUS depending on how much the venue costs, there might not even be a venue fee, because we could pay it ourselves out of our own pockets. SO, cheap entry, nice payout to top 5, (or maybe even top 8. this is something i would need advice on) BEAUTIFUL venue (i'm friends with a gaming store that specializes in tabletop games, but they have a 1000 sq. foot upstairs that they use for tournaments, and i know they would let us rent the space and they would love the attention. they are great people), and it could run smoothly and move quickly provided we have a good amount of set-ups and staff to help out.

so if i end up doing this (Which i really want to), would you guys come out and participate? if you are in the atlantic south area near north carolina, south carolina, or georgia, would you be willing to make the drive for this? and even if you aren't in the area, would you drive 2-3 hours for something like this? also, is there more i could do to attract more players and gain more attention? i think my two biggest downfalls are the location and the fact that i'm very new to the competitive scene, and i don't know how much that would effect the turnout. as i said, i host weekly events at my house so i'm 100% sure players from waynesville would enter, but that isn't a very hefty number, and there's a bit of a scene in asheville as well, so they would definitely come to a local,but i'd like people from SC and GA to come as well. i'd like it to be a decent size. not massive or anything, but at least worthwhile and entertaining with a nice turnout, especially if we are going to sink a good deal of money into it. any feedback on the possibility of it going well and any advice/critiques anyone has is more than welcome!

Last edited:

madBowers

Smash Rookie
NNID
Adamsrewob
3DS FC
1177-9203-9654
I live in NC and I am a bit new to the smash scene and just recently got hooked. I have been to a couple local tournaments but it isn't enough! I would love to come to another local tournament.

FrequencyPeaces

Smash Rookie
My two roommates and I haven't had anyone else to play with (and just started thinking about seeing what's up with tournaments) and would probably be interested. (We're in avl). Dunno how we'd measure up competition wise, but eh, we're decent at least.

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
if this is too long, feel free to skip the first 3 paragraphs. it's really just me rambling/providing some information and setting up for the real questions.

tournaments are never really held in my area. i live in waynesville, north carolina (30 minutes from asheville, which is where i would host my tournament). due to money/time constraints i've never really been able to make long drives either, so i was pretty much screwed when it came to competitive smash (which is a shame because i've been following the scene forever, and have been hooked on the game since the beginning of time itself and have played with friends forever). BUT last weekend i decided to make the 2 hour drive to SC for Tiger Smash and another tournament in NC 3 hours away again on sunday. because of these two events, the past two days have been some of the most fun i've had in years, and i'm completely addicted to smash tournaments already. i'm so happy to finally be involved in the competitive scene for my absolute favorite game. so naturally, i want to share this feeling with as many people as possible and try to attract players to my area and host a tournament of my own.

the biggest reason i want to do this now more than ever is because i have a friend (another lover of smash) who, long story short, won the lottery and was given quite a bit of money. what better way to use the money than to host a smash tournament with pot bonuses for incentive! together, i believe her and i

i've hosted plenty of events in the past, from concerts and shows and art events to tournaments for other games. i also host weekly smash nights at my house for friends, so that gives me at least a tiny bit of experience with smash events. i'm also very aware of the importance of seeding if it becomes necessary and understand how brackets/pools/eliminations work, so i am completely confident that i could handle an actual smash tournament in terms of organization/time management/etc.

my problem is my location (maybe, i'm not really sure how willing smash players are to travel for tournaments that aren't huge). although asheville is a pretty popular place, it's far away from the apparent key points in the atlantic south scene. SO my real question is are the pot bonuses enough of an encouragement for players to make the drive? let's say we have a $150 (minimum) pot bonus for each event (Melee and PM singles/doubles, 4 events total), and of course everyone's entry fee would be added, because we aren't taking any money for ourselves, PLUS depending on how much the venue costs, there might not even be a venue fee, because we could pay it ourselves out of our own pockets. SO, cheap entry, nice payout to top 5, (or maybe even top 8. this is something i would need advice on) BEAUTIFUL venue (i'm friends with a gaming store that specializes in tabletop games, but they have a 1000 sq. foot upstairs that they use for tournaments, and i know they would let us rent the space and they would love the attention. they are great people), and it could run smoothly and move quickly provided we have a good amount of set-ups and staff to help out.

so if i end up doing this (Which i really want to), would you guys come out and participate? if you are in the atlantic south area near north carolina, south carolina, or georgia, would you be willing to make the drive for this? and even if you aren't in the area, would you drive 2-3 hours for something like this? also, is there more i could do to attract more players and gain more attention? i think my two biggest downfalls are the location and the fact that i'm very new to the competitive scene, and i don't know how much that would effect the turnout. as i said, i host weekly events at my house so i'm 100% sure players from waynesville would enter, but that isn't a very hefty number, and there's a bit of a scene in asheville as well, so they would definitely come to a local,but i'd like people from SC and GA to come as well. i'd like it to be a decent size. not massive or anything, but at least worthwhile and entertaining with a nice turnout, especially if we are going to sink a good deal of money into it. any feedback on the possibility of it going well and any advice/critiques anyone has is more than welcome!
You might also want to post this in the NC Regional Zone and the neighboring states if you haven't already.

Top Bottom