• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A poll on Aliens.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
For my English assignment, I have to pick a topic and, long story short, I need to ask people their opinions of the little green (wo)men. Anyway, other than just yes/no/maybe, if you could also post why, and if posible any actual experiences you may or may not have had. And please take this seriously. Thankyou.
EDIT: OK Evileye, I'll make it a bit simpler. What do you think of the existance of Aliens? Do you believe they exist? Why?

Badboy Bighead

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't believe in extraterrestrial species, I believe all sightings of extraterrestrial spacecraft, species, etc, were just pleas of attention after a natural phenomenom. If the extra-terrestrial really does exist, I believe more sufficient evidence is required before we can just waltz around talking about how aliens are real.

CPT_Falcon

Smash Apprentice
I believe that aliens do exist; the Universe is just too much of an expanse for there not to be any other forms of "life" out there, intelligent or not.

But what is "life"? Scientists believe that for life to exist anywhere the planet has to be similar to our own, why I ask? Where does it say that all life forms have to breath air (or oxygen) to live, or need sunlight & can someone please tell me why there can be no "life" on planets where the gravity is several times our own?

You only have to look to the sea for contradictions to scientific preconceptions. For there are animals in areas of the sea where "life should not be sustainable" yet life is very much rampant there, volcanic funnels for example. Where the temperature is well above boiling, light is absent and the pressure would crush you like a plastic cup. Who knows, maybe there are life forms on planets in our very own system, we just don't know it yet because scientists have said there can't be any life because the planets aren't like ours, where's the logic?

As for sightings I think you have take each case individually, some sightings could be real whereas some are obviously fake. I remember once on TV someone had claimed to have seen a UFO (& recorded it on video coincidently) when in fact it was just a freebie on a fishing line. :crazy:

Hope that makes your english assignment that little bit more interesting.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Originally posted by CPT_Falcon
I believe that aliens do exist; the Universe is just too much of an expanse for there not to be any other forms of "life" out there, intelligent or not.
Ditto.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Dude, when a topic closes, dont go post it in another room.

But im answering it the same way I did in the other room.

Of course, aliens do exist. One day, I was in a field for no reason, and a spaceship came out. Elvis popped out, and he gave me pancakes.

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
I for one do believe in alien life.

I had a very strange dream once where I was laying down under right lights and everything else was dark except for a little (or actually big) alien head hovering over me. It seemed like I was on some operating table.

I woke up directly after that dream (if it WAS a dream) and saw the clock read approx 2 a.m. Could this have been a close encounter, maybe, probably not.

I think if there is life on other planets it's mostly animal life that live in a balanced community and most likely don't have our technology.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Hey, Eorlingas, why did the other one get closed? I'm not asking people to do my assignment for me I'm just asking their oppinion for a poll, that's all.
And i posted this one then I put one in the debate hall too. I wanted the debating people's oppinion and the average person's too.

Roundbox7

Smash Apprentice
Ofcourse there aliens. no contest. this is a FACT.
we have evoled on this lil puny planet. the universe is SOOOO big, that we cannot be the only planet to hold life.
amino acids. dats all u need. amino acids form a protein. the building block of life.

heck. and thats considering the protien makes up like EVERYWHERE. living things on other worlds might not even be made up of proteins. sooo many elements. so many unkowns. soo much out there. we cannot be the only planet to have formed, the not soo hard to make, life.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
Roundbox, I think you need to work on your vocabulary a bit. Try starting here:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=fact

Then you might actually have an idea what a fact is. Have you met an alien before, Roundbox? Was he friendly? Did he have three eyes, or four? Did he refer to you as "He-who-poisons-minds-with-stupid"? I think not -- because you have no proof that aliens exist. Whether or not it's even likely is beside the point; the fact (ha ha) is that no proof exists to support your point.

As for my opinion, eh, there's probably something out there, but it's beyond conception for me, anyway. So that probably doesn't help you in the slightest.

Yavarice

Dreadnought
BRoomer
Hey when did Kiki get so smart?:p

With the universe being of such enourmously huge bigness (it's really big) theres a probability that some organic material exists somewhere other than this planet.

But the point remains that since we got no proof or evidence, we also got no aliens.

Roundbox7

Smash Apprentice
i kno wat fact is.

im jus using it to emphasize how higly i belive the exists of aliens are.

and u got ur local man that swears hes been abducted by aleins, and dat no1 believes him. but who r u to say u he wasnt?
have u been? no. then how can u say dat wat he's saying isnt tru.

u jus dont kno.
but u can only belive.

Roundbox7

Smash Apprentice
sure u can say
we have no proof, there for we have no aliens.

but dats a 2 sides sword.
we also have no dis-proof, so there we dont have no aliens

(if u dont get this, please jus forget about it, its a an out-of-the-box statement. sum people cant think outside the box)

[Kiki edit: Besides the fact (HA) that your logic sucks, you could at least (1) edit, not double post, and (2) refrain from posting your sig on such long *ahem* posts.]

Rainy Day Toast

Stays Crunchy in Milk
BRoomer
halo!!!!11 lol im otside teh box rite!????/

Roundbox, all that was being said is that something is not a fact if it cannot be shown to be true with empirical evidence. The existence of aliens is therefore likely, but not a fact.

Thanks, bye.

(lol i hop u get my outof-teh-box statment!!)

Crono

BRoomer
BRoomer
God roundbox you're dumb. Thank god for that ***.

Aliens blah blah blah hamburgers blah blah blah throw feces blah blah blah Dana Carvey blah blah blah shoe horn. Thank you and goodnight Bluffington.

MillieQOF

Banned via Warnings
I believe there are what we call 'aliens'. Maybe not little green (wo)men, but some kind of life at least.
If the universe has no end, there must be more planets with life than the earth. It would just seem so... unnecessary if earth actually WAS the only planet with life.

bonehead

Smash Apprentice
MillieQOF, you've got a point. But think of this: all the planets in our galaxy have no aliens on them (as far as we know). It must be very rare for a planet to inhabit life.

flash fox

Smash Apprentice
I think its ignorant to completely dismiss the possibility that other life forms could exist in the infinite limits of space. Plus, all the sightings and hinting evidence can't all be denied.

Crono

BRoomer
BRoomer
The universe itself, i.e. the space-time continuum, is boundless. The matter contained therein, however, is finite. Cosmologists estimate the mass of the universe to be something like 10^64 grams. That's a lot. But uh, astrobiologists haven't disproven life within the solar system, let alone the Milky Way galaxy. There is a likelihood of bacterial life beneath the icy surface of Europa, a Galileo moon of Jupiter.

Super Akuma

Smash Ace
Heh

I believe aliens could exist, but I don't think they're likely to be intelligent and they certainly haven't made contact yet.

pokemonmaster01

BRoomer
BRoomer
I have no real reason to believe in aliens. Then again, I don't really have a reason to not believe, either, other than never seeing one. I'm not going to rule out the possibility, but I am also not going to run around in a tin-foil hat, carrying "I love Earth" bumper stickers and claiming they beamed me up and prodded at my naughty places. By the way, has anyone checked out that crop circle website? I forget what it was called, but they were soooo digitally created! The only ones that looked real were the standard circle in a corn field type.

vidjogamer

Smash Master
Originally posted by CPT_Falcon

But what is "life"?
In order for something to be considered life, it must have these requirements (with the exception of viruses)

1. Cells
2. hemeostasis
3. energy use
4. organization
5. reproduction

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
¿

Despite a Pool Room purpose, this topic really belongs in the Debate Hall, the way it's going. By the way, your post about the English assignment is, besides hard to read, confusing. People seem to have gotten the message, but, really, it's hard to know what you're talking about. Please try to be more clear, it's really annoying to read a post twice trying to interpret it.

Anyway, aliens. A broad topic. In fact, a topic we know nothing about. We have nothing but theories, denials, and fantasies to lead us to a logical explanation for this debate. In other words, we're pulling **** out of our asses.

There's one thing that we can be almost sure of. The Universe is massive. Grossly massive. Infinitely, grossly, massive. If our perceptions of what life is, and what is required for its sustainment were correct, it doesn't matter. The Universe is too **** big for there not to be another planet similar to ours. It happened once, and with this much room, it's bound to have happened again.

However, our perceptions of what is required for life is wrong. I bet there's a species out there that breathes Carbon Monoxide. We can't say that a life-form needs oxygen to breathe, or that it even needs to breath. How can we say that something we know nothing about needs what we do? They may be like nothing we've ever imagined before.

One reason we are as unadvanced as the aliens in our movies and TV shows is our narrow-mindedness. We find something that works for one thing, and we make it a law. Our inability to accept the prospect of change puts us light-years behind where we could be. We think because we need air, all life needs air. We think because we need nutrients, all life needs nutrients. We set a standard to everything, and think that everything must measure up to that. We are nothing but mildly intelligent, egotistical snobs. If something couldn't support us, we say it couldn't support anything else. How's that for thickness?

Look at a planet like Saturn. Massive amounts more gravity than we could handle; we'd likely be crushed to a pancake. So, we say, bless our narrow minds, that nothing could live on Saturn, also pointing out the toxins in the air that would kill us, and therefore anything else. But, we exist on Earth because we were built to tolerate oxygen and Earth's amount of gravity. Why couldn't something be built for Saturn's gravity and atmosphere?

Also, our definition of life. It seems to make sense, but then again, let's break it apart. It's as narrow as any other Earth philosophy. Breathing, reproducing, it's things that we do, and so, we say everything else must do the same. It's truly, utterly, moronic.

Now, as much as we can contradict all the beliefs that make extra-terrestrial life impossible, it's even more impossible to support the opposite. Mainly, because we have no idea what the opposite is. Every image we get when we think of aliens is simply something that derives for being raised on Earth, and there is nothing that can change that. Our minds simply cannot grasp the concept of what alien life would be like, because, don't even truly know a universal definition for life. All we have is our philosphies.

And it may be that way for some time.

-I

Crono

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, uh, there's already an alien debate somewhere in the debate hall... I dunno, maybe this topic could be moved there for a "fresher" version of that year-old thread.

Anyway, Saturn's "surface" gravity is actually less than that of the Earth's... and nothing that can't stay afloat in Saturn's atmosphere for its entire lifespan could live on Saturn, for it has no discernable solid ground (and any solid ground would be deep within the planet, far beyond the limitations of any organic matter's survival, regardless of what you may say).

That doesn't touch upon your whole post, though. I just wanted to point that out. I agree with you, though, that life could potentially be of other forms almost unimaginable to us. Like trees. We never knew of their complex mechanics until fairly recently. Perhaps with further research we could find some level of sentience in plants (doubtful, though).

nox_15

Smash Ace
I'm not sure about the aliens being here on the Earth, but I'm sure I've seen at least 3 UFO's in my life.

vidjogamer

Smash Master
Another point i find strange, and somewhat stupid on our part, we always ossociate UFO with disk shaped objects, why does it have to be a disk? if u ask me, they'd use any shape that got them to where they are going.

yeah... so... STOP STEREOTYPING ALIENS!!!!!!!!!!

jet

Smash Lord
I don't believe that there are aliens out there, well atleast like the scifi looking aliens, I believe that thee are other humans ouot there, kinda like one human world for each solar system. I think that because i agree that the universe is just to big for us to be the only life out there. But of course i am just Christian *shrugs*

Liquid Entropy

BRoomer
BRoomer
Originally posted by jet
I don't believe that there are aliens out there, well atleast like the scifi looking aliens, I believe that thee are other humans ouot there, kinda like one human world for each solar system. I think that because i agree that the universe is just to big for us to be the only life out there. But of course i am just Christian *shrugs*
What a *******. Hay guy, watch out if aliens ever openly visit earth. Its possible they don't know that Jesus died for their sins. You should get on that, stat.

jet

Smash Lord
hey get off my back... i was just giving my opinion, just like everyone else in this thread :p

vidjogamer

Smash Master
Originally posted by Liquid Entropy
How bout u stop spamming and leave the guy alone u ***.

I do think there are aliens but, i dont think they are the way we stereotype them, if u think about it, humans are the only intelligent life form on our planet, and there are millions of other organisms, what makes u think that other planets will have what we have... the chances are sooooo slim even with all thats there to possibly obtain life....

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
This is Mic's crowning achievement.

supermariopro101

Smash Journeyman
Evil Eye, that made me cry. IF organisms on other planets do exist, they will most likely not live under the EXACT same conditions we do. As technology continues to ameliorate, we keep trying to find obvious signs of life through what we are accostumed to. This is a mistake because life can find away to create through other means.

I'm going to use this post as an example.

vidjogamer said:
In order for something to be considered life, it must have these requirements (with the exception of viruses)
We found an exception to the standards of what we perceive as life. That means there could also be other exceptions to this rule. Like it or not, we are not the smartest organisms in the world (dolphins). And even if we were the smartest we are flawed and as species continue to evolve to try and reach perfect (Natural Selection) maybe species on other planets have evolved more than we have.

I stay neutral. Unless these organisms become hostile.:laugh:

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
Like it or not, we are not the smartest organisms in the world (dolphins).
Yeah, because dolphins can do super awesome math, can rid themselves of ailments, can take out there competitors and become top of the food chain.

Something that Chase said episode 2, season 3 of House sums aliens up rather nicely, and it's something along the lines of this: "out of the millions of galaxies that contain billions of stars that are orbited by trillions of planets, it would be arrogant of us to think that we're the only life forms in the universe."

The Mad Hatter

Smash Ace
ON TOPIC

Its not a question of if, but more of a question of when. When we will find extra terrestrial life. An alien can be microscopic as long as its living. If you try to say there is no micro organism in this enormous universe you are only fooling yourself.

dr.neo

Smash Champion
Well we dont know where the universe ends. We dont know what could be out there. I dont understand why "aliens" would come to earth to "test" on us or whatever people say they do. I dont understand why they wouldnt want to be seen. Therefore I dont believe in the "sightings" that people see but I dont doubt that there is something else out there.

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
Neo, aliens supposedly do the exact same thing that we would do. The instant we find life forms on another planet and a way to get there, the first thing the military would do is capture a specimen of what appears to be the dominant species on the planet so they can explore the way its body works, and they'd go about capturing the creature as quietly and secretly as possible so that, if the species is around the same tier of advancement as we are, we won't get into an inter-galactic war we might lose.

The difference is, if we were to capture one, we wouldn't just go exploring through an orofice while it's knocked out. We'd rip their abdomen (if they even have abdomens >_>) open and kill it so that it can't return to its planet and tell about what happened, where its authorities might actually believe it and take action.

Top Bottom