• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Way To Play Brawl Competitively; Team Brawl

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
Lately I've been reading a lot about how Brawl doesn't cater to competitive play. I've read about solutions such as using Heavy Brawl and even attempting to pressure nintendo into making a new game.

So here's my two cents: Why not play Team Brawl competitively?

Team Brawl adds an entire new element to the game that could satisfy the competitive player, TEAM WORK. Team Brawl encourages people to look at the game in new ways. Teams must consider not just one character to choose, but two. To be exact there are 703 possible teams of characters in Brawl. For those that wish Brawl had more comboing possibility, the potential for combos is vastly increased when you have a teammate.

Team Brawl could be a way for competetive players to competitively enjoy Brawl without alienating those of us that enjoy the game the way it is.

Discuss.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Teams in regular Brawl is cool. But it's a difficult thing to do consistently at tournaments. No one can just show up to a team tournament and play, they need a partner. I guess you could do random pairing-ups of partners (I did this at a tournament once), but that would lead to inconsistencies in rankings and such.

Also, the problem here is what if both team members start camping?

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman
A very large aspect of competitive play is determining who is the better player. Teams don't tell us who is the best brawler.

However, team Brawl is fun and could have some competitive success.

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
Team Brawl *is* played competitively.. There were team matches in Melee, too. Of course, team attack is on to avoid essentially broken tactics.. From what I've seen, the teams metagame basically involves two smaller bouts within one match, with some exceptions. Because team attack is on, it's more efficient for the two partners to separate and fight one opponent, unless their partner needs help, or it's better to double team the stronger opponent. That being said, I don't think that Teams will revolutionize competitive play, nor will it be the preferred method of competition (inconvenient, splitting the glory, etc)

Corigames

Smash Hero
Team Brawl *is* played competitively.. There were team matches in Melee, too. Of course, team attack is on to avoid essentially broken tactics.. From what I've seen, the teams metagame basically involves two smaller bouts within one match, with some exceptions. Because team attack is on, it's more efficient for the two partners to separate and fight one opponent, unless their partner needs help, or it's better to double team the stronger opponent. That being said, I don't think that Teams will revolutionize competitive play, nor will it be the preferred method of competition (inconvenient, splitting the glory, etc)
Perfectly put. Teams have always been there, but there are never the prize of glory. A team winning will never look as good as the solo winning. That said, I enjoy the hell out of team matches. It's like playing a 1 v 1, but you can yell and have someone bust in and stop you enemy's combo or help you recover. I haven't done much of it in Brawl, but I don't see how teams here can be THAT much different.

RaigothDagon

Smash Journeyman
I think that team games tend to be faster paced, which is the general complaint of competitive Brawl that it is too slow and boring.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm guessing that Team Attacks will be ON as well. Personally, Team Attacks are quite bad in Brawl compared to Melee.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Teams in regular Brawl is cool. But it's a difficult thing to do consistently at tournaments. No one can just show up to a team tournament and play, they need a partner. I guess you could do random pairing-ups of partners (I did this at a tournament once), but that would lead to inconsistencies in rankings and such.

Also, the problem here is what if both team members start camping?
Kind of hard to camp in team games with team attack ON (the way it should be), unless you are playing on a stage like New Pork City (which should be banned anyway). On a normal sized stage like Battlefield, if you try to camp you might accidentally hit your partner. Also, it's kind of hard to camp if your partner is being owned by both opponents. Unless you don't care. And if you don't care about your partner you'll probably not be very successful in teams.

Random pairings by default is a bad idea. Many people like to team together because they practice together, and can practice complementing each other's strong points and covering for each other's weaknesses. Because of this, people can often perform roles in the team, such as stock holder or KO powerhouse. At tournaments, I'd usually rather team with my brother because we work well together in teams. If someone doesn't have a partner, they could either not enter teams, or yell out something to the effect of "Anyone need a teammate?" There are usually lots of people at tournaments that need teammates.

A very large aspect of competitive play is determining who is the better player. Teams don't tell us who is the best brawler.

However, team Brawl is fun and could have some competitive success.
Teams do tell us who the better team is though. And for people who team together often, it's easy to track progress that way.

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
Rapid Assassin gets what I'm thinking about. People would enter tournaments with friends that they had practiced with before hand. That way teams could work together to find effective strategies and coordinate attacks.

In my opinion winning a team tournament would give just as much glory as a solo tournament. Team battles determine who is the better team and almost all the time the better team has the better players. Other team sports like Football, Basketball, Soccer, etc. generally have much more glory than solo sports like Golf, Tennis, Ping Pong, etc.

Also it's fact that team battles make the game faster and reduce the viability of camping.

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman
This sort of reminds me of Tennis. They play both solos and doubles, but you really only hear about the singles when it is at a competitive professional level.

nviv

Smash Cadet
Every tournament I've ever been to has had singles and doubles so that won't change, as long as the game is played at tournaments singles will be played, people love one on one matches and seeing who is the better player, I can't see that ever changing. They could do like halo tournaments and do FFA but that would lead to even more camping by people and would still not determine the better player. I'm not trying to disagree, I agree completly but I don't see singles ever being removed from the competitive environment.

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
I'm definitely not suggesting that team play should take over the competitive scene and push singles out. Just that team play should be given more attention and consideration.

Uncle Fitzy

Smash Journeyman
Rapid Assassin gets what I'm thinking about. People would enter tournaments with friends that they had practiced with before hand. That way teams could work together to find effective strategies and coordinate attacks.

In my opinion winning a team tournament would give just as much glory as a solo tournament. Team battles determine who is the better team and almost all the time the better team has the better players. Other team sports like Football, Basketball, Soccer, etc. generally have much more glory than solo sports like Golf, Tennis, Ping Pong, etc.

Also it's fact that team battles make the game faster and reduce the viability of camping.
I find team matches more fun and they certainly make me feel a whole lot angrier when I lose... I have to agree with the TS.

nviv

Smash Cadet
I hope there is an emphasis on doubles even more than in Melee and that people work more in depth on team techniques, maybe even come up with some at's that are doubles specific. That might be a little wishful thinking but I don't see why it couldn't be a possibility.

Top Bottom