• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Generation: Will For SM4SH

Status
Not open for further replies.

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
A New Generation: Will (AW) For SM4SH

Who Is Will

Will is the main protagonist for Advance Wars: Days of Ruin. Unlike other Advance Wars games, Days of Ruin has been known for its dark atmosphere in comparison to Advance Wars games. However in my opinion Days of Ruin still manages to have a bit of humour and at times Will’s characteristics remind me of Andy from the original games.
The backstory to Will, is quite a short one, something unique brought to Days of Ruin is the environment itself. This time we see the setting of the game is the aftermath of meteor shower, and the consequence of chaos and war. As for Will’s story it takes place just after the meteor shower, at his old military academy. In which we see Will being recruited into the 12th Battalion just after being rescued by bandits. There are multiple plot twists within the game, but I want to avoid spoilers so I’ll leave it at that.
Another thing to mention is Will’s personality, I’ll let a Advance Wars Wikia do the work.

”Will is very strong-willed person, he greatly idolizes Captain Brenner who saved his life after the meteor shower occurred. He aspires to be like Captain Brenner by saving people and he adopts Brenner's motto as his own upon Brenner's death: "Where there is life, there is hope."
Will is also a very straight forward person, and very stubborn. He often charges right into conflict without consideration, although he is often burdened with any resulting failures. He has very strong moral convictions, which as Caulder says 'were imposed on him by Brenner'. These moral convictions make him value life greatly.
Will also, over the course of the game develops feelings for Isabella, who it is later revealed is a female clone of Caulder. Will looks past this fact however, saying that 'it is not how you are born that defines who you are.' At one point in the game Will sets out, alone, to rescue Isabella, and upon finding her she expresses her desire to 'live with him forever'. This desire is revisited in the ending scenes of the game a few times as well.”

Moveset

I can imagine if both Andy and Will get in, one may see Will being a clone of Andy, without the two Wrenches. As for overall play style I would see Will as a long-range character, since his moveset would consist of mainly guns. His speed however could have a subliminal nod to his appearance in the games, making him a reasonably fast/easy to move character. With the nod to the games being his special power to make his infantry move an extra couple of spaces.

As for his standard attack I can imagine Will pistol whipping with the gun he has in his holster.

Special Attacks
B- Will fires a machine gun (from the infantry unit) in a semicircle to where he is facing
B Up- Will can glide holding a miniature Bomber (unit from Advance Wars.) This would be similar to Animal Crossing Villager’s Up B.
B Side- Will fires a bazooka horizontally
B Down- Will fires pistol downwards, similar to Snake’s B Down.

Final Smash
When Will destroys the smash ball, the background goes extremely dark, and gun fire can be heard in the background, during all of this meteors fire down damaging all his foes.

What has Will got going for him

Pros
+Advance Wars doesn’t have a representative
+From the most recent Advance Wars games
+Protagonist of an Advance Wars game
+Represents a character from the Advance Wars reboot (thus meaning his universe may return in future games.)
+Easier to make if a clone of Andy

Cons
-Andy is more popular
-Andy is more iconic
-He has only appeared in one game (it is uknown weather Intelligent System want to continue with him)
-Only really talks his head off in the game, meaning his moveset would be completely original. Similar to Captain Falcon

Possible Outcomes/Theories of Will’s Inclusion

The Fire Emblem Theory
I believe Nintendo Wars warrants two playable slots when it comes to Super Smash Bros, due to the series significance and history with Nintendo (It dating back to Famicon days, and still putting out consistent titles.) As I’ve learnt with my previous thread Andy for Nintendo Wars is a force to not dispute against (and so he should be.) But back to the point, I see Will not a replacement for Andy but the second representative, with Andy being the original protagonist (similar to Marth, Mewtwo or Ness) and Will being the most recent (similar to (Ike/ Roy, Lucario and Lucas.) Thus meaning in Super Smash Bros 5 Will could be replaced with the next generation of Advance Wars characters. It is also important to note that Will is good promotion material, as the game was just released in Japan.

Will Over Andy Theory
Another perspective to look at is if Nintendo Wars only gets one slot in the roster. If so one has to remember that Advance Wars: Days of Ruin went in a completely different direction to other Advance Wars. Practically COs, locations being completely unrelated to past Advance Wars. The only crossover from the old universe in previous games was some of the units. Overall Days of Ruin was a kind of reboot of Advance Wars, and therefor if Intelligent System chose to continue with Days of Ruin’s universe. Will, might be picked over Andy to represent the Advance Wars series for promotional reasons. On the other hand if Intelligent System wants an iconic character, go back to the old universe or simply want to reboot the series again Andy has an increased chance of getting in. But we got to remember when it comes to marketing its pointless having a character in the roster that won’t make a return and represent an outdated universe.

Artist Uknown
Music

Supporters
TempahRelapse

Signature
Thanks to Zhadgon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom