• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A neutral button.

Wa_Black

Smash Apprentice
Can we get a neutral button or an empty button that we can press to register as an empty input, so that we could do things like jab grab, dash dance f tilt/ f smash without the risk of getting a dash attack.

atreyujames

The Laziest Man in the North
NNID
Atreyujames
User was warned for this post
Yes by all means, lets make the need for even a little skill and knowhow obsolete. Why don't we also get an auto up B OOS option too? Hell lets make every simple tech basically a braindead input :denzel:

Last edited:

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
This game is already fairly simple at high level, there's no need to make it braindead.
All it takes is some practice and you'll be able to pull these off mid-battle. Work on your timing, it's not about how fast you input, it's about doing it properly.

Last edited:

Pyr

Smash Lord
To answer the question: No such option exists, but the timing can be learned and it'll become second nature, like NotAnAdmin NotAnAdmin said.

Last edited:

Wa_Black

Smash Apprentice
I don't understand the logic. We don't want the game to more accessible? I don't know about you guys but when I try to explain fighting to my friends, it's real simple, until we get to execution. That's where I lose people all the time because no one wants to go to the mountains for 40 days and 40 nights practicing one technique.

I get perfect pivoting. I don't think that should be maid easier, mainly because I don't think there would be a reasonable way, but for this a simple empty button could be added, they add the smash button input, this would be much easier, and from it, new tech could arrive.

And the problem with this scenario is if you mess up you get a dash attack and that's all she wrote if they block it. At least when you get a tilt when you meant to smash it's not the end of the world, so it 40 days and 40 nights were if enough, now any time you mess up you'll get punished, and even worse, if you're playing online because you don't have a scene or because people have lives outside of games, you may have actually had the timing right, but online gave you a dash attack.

The heart of fighting game lies between the decision making between players. If they make an "up B" button, it shouldn't matter to you, what matters is: they have an option. The only thing making execution easier does is extend those options to players that wouldn't normally have the patience to master their execution.

Pyr

Smash Lord
So... You're complaining about an option that doesn't exist because it doesn't exist? Looks like your only choice is to work with the system that you have. Complaining about features that don't exist is a waste of time.

Also, I can't think of a single (successful) fighter that has an empty input input. Doing things correctly, especially in games with a buffer like Smash has, is a skill that needs to be developed. If you can't, you should re-evaluate what you're doing here.

Actually, now that I think about it, it does exist: DO NOTHING. Input nothing and you'll do nothing. What is the point of having an empty input button? You waste at least a frame having it go through? Don't mash, bro, and you'll be fine. Yes, even online. It's really not as hard or time consuming as you're making it out to be and, if it were implemented, it'd be an unused feature because wasting a frame doing nothing is a no-no.

"The heart of fighting game lies between the decision making between players."

That's correct. And this wouldn't help that. It'd be worthless because it doesn't actually add anything. Again, if you don't have the time, or the ability, to input things without a crutch, you should re-evaluate your use of time because I can't think of anything that you've mentioned that takes less than a day to get down.

T0MMY

Smash Master
The issue is actually a gameplay mechanic design. Sakurai seems to want to make Smash more accessible to everyone and not be confined to hardcore elitists, which would also correspond with Nintendo's more "blue ocean" strategy (honestly, why make such a beautiful game if the company dies trying to cater to the "hardcore" niche only?)
Yet, somehow, Sakurai seems to have made a game that is still very technically demanding, and it is not even in a good way for the hardcore player, all due to what I would call game mechanic design issues. These issues are things like grabs turning into attacks and very small nudging on the control stick turning into dashes and smashes the same as if you had slammed on the stick. Sometimes it is a matter of 1 frame input (that is 1/60th of a second, for those poor non-hardcore players!) and precision of analogue stick inputs that even after a decade of competitive Smash we see technical "flubs" from high level players throughout the series. This is no small matter if the best of us are having some weird input issues.

I don't have the link on me right now and I am limited on my time, but I read an article on game design about this very issue and how to avoid "confusion" with the players. Sakurai seems to have violated some simple principles the article touches on (like familiarity in button inputs) when developing Smash.

Now, look at the difference of simply saying that the game could benefit from smoothing out game mechanic issues and simply whining about not being "easy enough for me because I'm bad" - nobody was asking for a button to Up-special OoS, we are just addressing some odd technical issues in a game that is supposedly technically accessible while still maintaining a deep gameplay that serves the needs of high-level competition.
Why do you think there's now an option to turn Tapjump off? Because up being context-sensitive is violating a principle of least confusion, with the option to turn it off the context is that up will do upward attacks only and jump can be reserved to jump only (except for those ridiculously randy footstools, right? haha).

Anyhow, think about how many times you meant to do something simple like angle your shield instead of roll and how the mechanic could be properly designed for the player to be more accessible and understand it in the place of a high level of competitive play. I hope Sakurai thinks this out if he makes future iterations of Smash.

Top Bottom