• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Look at Japan's *WEEKLY* キャラランク "Chara Ranks" (use Official Sticky for Tier Debate)

rageagainst

Smash Journeyman
wow some characters are moving up and down ALOT, but there are definates that can be drawn, like that Link and Ganon will stay around the bottom, and Snake and Rob will stay at top.

Does anyone notice that Pit never touched S(broken) rank, and it was also stated that the *** metagame was much better than ours... this means that THERE IS HOPE FOR BRAWL, and it evolved out of the campfest (dominated by Pit) it is in the US. Seriously if the potential of the game was 2 Pits shooting and blocking arrows, I would have stopped playing.

Nacht004

Smash Rookie
Wow, Lucario moved way up, I'm lovin it, I definitely think he deserves high-mid tier. I'm very curious however now about the asterisks...

Corigames

Smash Hero
wow some characters are moving up and down ALOT, but there are definates that can be drawn, like that Link and Ganon will stay around the bottom, and Snake and Rob will stay at top.

Does anyone notice that Pit never touched S(broken) rank, and it was also stated that the *** metagame was much better than ours... this means that THERE IS HOPE FOR BRAWL, and it evolved out of the campfest (dominated by Pit) it is in the US. Seriously if the potential of the game was 2 Pits shooting and blocking arrows, I would have stopped playing.
Yes, because pit was soooo broken... you know why he was never S rank even with camping, because he's not as bad as everyone makes him out to be. It's not because of Brawl's evolution.

Nao Hikari

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NaoHikari
Switch FC
SW 1055 2032 9641
Very interesting results, i'm wondering what the Japanese are doing with Snake that's made him stay consistently in S class.

Definitely going to subscribe to this

VulgarHandGestures

Smash Journeyman
what are they doing to make snake stay in s class? are you kidding?

they're plugging the controller in, that's what they're doing.

Nao Hikari

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NaoHikari
Switch FC
SW 1055 2032 9641
while i'm sure that plugging the controller in helps, i'm sure that there's more to it then that. I guess i'll have to lurk around youtube or something in order to find an answer

pidgey14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Redpidgey
Are those guys even playing as Yoshi? I bet they ain't, and if they are, they ain't playing him right at all and making a total disgrace to him, and the fans.

Griffard

Smash Ace
Are those guys even playing as Yoshi? I bet they ain't, and if they are, they ain't playing him right at all and making a total disgrace to him, and the fans.
"They" are not playing a lot of characters well. Ganon has been on the bottom every time, they obv haven't given him much of a chance, becuase in a pro's hands he is at least med. tier.

xxvic1ousxx

Smash Cadet
Either Sol or Order-Sol.
No offense, but your friend isn't that good, then. GG is particularly punishing to mashers because they keep mashing out RC's at the wrong time. If he couldn't handle that, he really ought to learn how to play better.
Hehe, Yeah. GG is much too complex a game for a button masher to play well.

Anyways, its interesting to see the changes in the lists as another exploit surfaces, coinciding with their respective character's rise in rank (not that exploits make a character higher tier).

estion11

Smash Apprentice
Either Sol or Order-Sol.
No offense, but your friend isn't that good, then. GG is particularly punishing to mashers because they keep mashing out RC's at the wrong time. If he couldn't handle that, he really ought to learn how to play better.
QFT... if he got beat by a spammer he can't be that good. But then again roman canceling at the wrong time isnt that damaging to a spammer because they seldom know how to use specials anyway.

Blu-ninja

Smash Journeyman
C'mon peach..hang in there...

@Pidgey

I know how you feel man....
But when it's your time to prove yoshi's better existence, he'll shine...im sure.
:)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Maybe Ganondorf and Yoshi are at the bottom because they aren't very good...

Didja think of that?

uremog

Smash Ace
Nah, people at school are always talking about Accent Core (their set-up is right next to smash). One day, someone completely new picked up (and correct me on this name because it is probably wrong) Del-Sol (???), mashed buttons and beat a long-time player. He was able to pull off specials very fast, kept flying around the screen, and hit very hard. It was like the perfect character. Now, after a little while, the pro got use to his spammy technique. In a sense, it's like Brawl that way, a game where you have to get use to a player button mashing (not to say Guilty Gear is dumb, I respect that game very much and the people who play it. More or less I'm insinuating that Brawl is that way much more than GG).
i know everyone else already commented, but i just had to as well.
in guilty gear it's very easy to pick apart someone who doesn't have a solid game plan from the start. even for a novice like me, if someone's just jumping around doing whatever, it's pretty easy to get some nasty combos to knockdown. lol, just use slayer for free counterhit 1/2 life combos.

and for the thread, remember everyone, it's not a tier list, it's just how well people play their characters at certain ranbats.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
charoo thanks for the link my god ***. smashers got brawl down so nice. they know how to abuse the new shield and air dodge system, and masashi is such a good ike,

but this list is odd. idk but i have a gannondorf friend who is just so good he spikes perfectly . i wanna see also why snake is the top

pidgey14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Redpidgey
Maybe Ganondorf and Yoshi are at the bottom because they aren't very good...

Didja think of that?
no, because Yoshi ain't bottom. You all just thinking him like his Melee way. He HAS changed, he has better buffs than nerfs. Why are most people too lazy to try Yoshi for once, and find his fight style, instead of playing one match and saying "He sucks"? You think loss of DJC is a major nerf, when he plays BETTER WITHOUT IT!

I am surprised that some of you don't even know he has a 3rd jump. That's how lazy you are (the ones who never gave Yoshi a chance).

so Maybe, PsychoIncarnate, you haven't gave him a chance at all by the looks of things

Didja think of that?

Trozz

Smash Ace
3rd jump? That tiny hop he does when he throws an egg?

I've never seen anyone use Yoshi well at tournaments, but hey, maybe people will main him next time. Heh. And maybe people will stop using Metaknight.

pidgey14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Redpidgey
3rd jump? That tiny hop he does when he throws an egg?

I've never seen anyone use Yoshi well at tournaments, but hey, maybe people will main him next time. Heh. And maybe people will stop using Metaknight.
There are already people who are maining him. Yoshi threads don't appear by magic :p Plus I am gonna main him in Brawl (**** stupid EU having no release date yet).

Also the B up with his egg is better than nothing. It is for horizontal movement , cuz it can used multiple times. The fact the people are too bloody lazy to see what Yoshi has really annoys me. Seriously, I want them to actually stop thinking him as Melee.

Yoshi mains have explained this TOO MANY TIMES, yet the results are still the same. So not just they ain't just treating Yoshi fairly, they ignore the mains too. I am fed up with it. why can't people just treat the Yoshi mains as fairly as the other mains.

I don't see any hate going on, except at Yoshi, cuz they are too lazy, they are underestimating him, putting him at "Bottom", cuz they don't know anything about him. think that the nerfs are major, when they are not. Just give him a chance.

Corigames

Smash Hero
no, because Yoshi ain't bottom. You all just thinking him like his Melee way. He HAS changed, he has better buffs than nerfs. Why are most people too lazy to try Yoshi for once, and find his fight style, instead of playing one match and saying "He sucks"? You think loss of DJC is a major nerf, when he plays BETTER WITHOUT IT!

I am surprised that some of you don't even know he has a 3rd jump. That's how lazy you are (the ones who never gave Yoshi a chance).

so Maybe, PsychoIncarnate, you haven't gave him a chance at all by the looks of things

Didja think of that?
Did you ever think that you are a simple n00b that hasn't even been here for a month and are trying to argue such opinionated things as tiers which are based off of character tournament play. Also, you are someone trying to argue that the most unarguably worst character in the game isn't. Ok, maybe not worst, but he will be nothing, ever. You will never go into a Yoshi match-up going, "I better psych up for this fight. It's going to be tough." No. Yoshi sucks. He sucked in 64. He sucked in melee. He still sucks in Brawl.

So maybe you haven't gotten your head out of your *** and actually played the game against a human player who has played more than 1 time.

pidgey14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Redpidgey
Did you ever think that you are a simple n00b that hasn't even been here for a month and are trying to argue such opinionated things as tiers which are based off of character tournament play. Also, you are someone trying to argue that the most unarguably worst character in the game isn't. Ok, maybe not worst, but he will be nothing, ever. You will never go into a Yoshi match-up going, "I better psych up for this fight. It's going to be tough." No. Yoshi sucks. He sucked in 64. He sucked in melee. He still sucks in Brawl.

So maybe you haven't gotten your head out of your *** and actually played the game against a human player who has played more than 1 time.
That's coming from someone who mains a "High tier" character. You are obviously asking for an argument, aren't you? I ain't, I am saying that I am fed up with me and Yoshi mains being ignored, and you, thinking I am some noob, makes me more pissed off. Do yourself a favour and **** off. You are another one of them idiots who think Yoshi sucks when IT IS YOU WHO CANNOT PLAY WITH HIM WELL!

Seriously. I didn't want to argue but you have made me argue. and plus, I have been waiting to play someone DECENT at smash bros for the past few years, so STFU, and cut me some ****ing slack!

I try to explain something, why Yoshi ain't the worst, but now I am getting seriously pissed off, with idiots like you, ignoring us when we show proof, still continuing, like a bunch of ****ing *******.

Why not call this ****ing "Yoshi hate world forums: The forums for ****ing ignorant *******"

Trozz

Smash Ace
Yoshi is a silly dino. Nobody else is.

Has that chara site flat-lined? There hasn't been an update since the 10th.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
That's coming from someone who mains a "High tier" character. You are obviously asking for an argument, aren't you? I ain't, I am saying that I am fed up with me and Yoshi mains being ignored, and you, thinking I am some noob, makes me more pissed off. Do yourself a favour and **** off. You are another one of them idiots who think Yoshi sucks when IT IS YOU WHO CANNOT PLAY WITH HIM WELL!

Seriously. I didn't want to argue but you have made me argue. and plus, I have been waiting to play someone DECENT at smash bros for the past few years, so STFU, and cut me some ****ing slack!

I try to explain something, why Yoshi ain't the worst, but now I am getting seriously pissed off, with idiots like you, ignoring us when we show proof, still continuing, like a bunch of ****ing *******.

Why not call this ****ing "Yoshi hate world forums: The forums for ****ing ignorant *******"
Pidgey, please. This thread wasn't created to discuss tiers, these are just power rankings based on actual tournament results in Japan, you can't change the facts. I don't know why a lot of the people get so mad when people say Yoshi sucks. Does it really matter where on the tier list your character is? Just because the character you uses is 'low tier' doesn't mean anything if you can match up to anyone else you play against, right? In comparison to other characters there is really nothing that Yoshi excels at. Please don't try to change people's minds through theoretical discussion, because words are weak compared to actual results.

Corigames

Smash Hero
So, someone who hasn't played Brawl, has never played someone good, and thinks Yoshi is good is trying to lecture me on what is good and bad.

You are just another new person who cannot accept that you are not good. No one expects you to be good, you you flaunt around like you are. You aren't.

We don't hate Yoshi. Yoshi is bad. Would I be doing anyone a favor by saying he's good? No. Would I be lieing? Yes. When Yoshi starts winning major tournaments, then you can say he is a good character. Though, as a bit of advice, you shouldn't hold your breath until that day.

If you hate smashboards, the exit door is as close as a click on that little X on the internet window. I suggest doing so now.

Lastly, learn some grammar. That post was painful to read.

Fugue

Smash Apprentice
QFT... if he got beat by a spammer he can't be that good. But then again roman canceling at the wrong time isnt that damaging to a spammer because they seldom know how to use specials anyway.
It's been my experience that most masher's game plan is basically this:
MASH
MASH AGAIN
MASH HARDER ***GOT
GIANT FLASHY SUPER MOVE THE VERY SECOND THE METER IS FULL
MASH MOAR
MASH UNTIL NEAR DEATH
OHSHI GONNA LOSE
ACTIVATE INSTANT KILL MODE
WHIFF IK FROM ACROSS SCREEN
EAT COMBO
OMG U HAX THIS GAME IS STUPID ANYWAY

Also, I wanna see some Japanese Lucarios (Lucariai?). The sudden, huge jump from low to mid is interesting.

indie_dave

Smash Ace
lol this has developed interestingly ^_^

ok syllogism tiem / HUGE JOHN ALERT:

Premise 1:
Semester finals :(

Premise 2:
indie_dave sucks at 日本語 (takes awhile to navigate japan boards) :dizzy:

Conclusion/concussion:
Late on updating :mad:

Application:
1337 日本語ers and/or awesome smashers talking to ikki/masashi/captain jack/et al post your finds and i'll OP it with credit.
or, just wait and i'll get to it after epic class pwnage ^_^
(soon, promise)

******, please. This thread wasn't created to discuss tiers, these are just power rankings based on actual tournament results in Japan, you can't change the facts. I don't know why a lot of the people get so mad when people say Yoshi sucks. Does it really matter where on the tier list your character is? Just because the character you uses is 'low tier' doesn't mean anything if you can match up to anyone else you play against, right? In comparison to other characters there is really nothing that Yoshi excels at. Please don't try to change people's minds through theoretical discussion, because words are weak compared to actual results.

thanks for all the great discussion so far!!
i'm all for playing charas that tend to not win...somehow that dark horse/underdog/underrepped quality is so appealing ^_^

AnubisGX said:
Man, why ganon so sucky fo?

He still gonna be my "fun" character.

Remember guys, the best counter pick for any character is "fun"
:ness:

Tien2500

Smash Lord

Wow you need to chill out man its not that serious.

Anyway I've mained Yoshi for a week (I'm in the process of maining each character for that long to get a feel for everyone). And... so far I could agree on the bottom Tier placement. (I've gone in backwards ABC order from Zamus to Toon Link so far.) Yoshi isn't particularly bad but he's just not that great. Not being able to jump out of a shield sucks and outweighs the benefit of no shield stabbing. His tounge is laggy and its range isn't enough to make up for that. Also his KOing power is just mediocre. Two of his smashes will KO, U and F, but both can be hard to hit with. Other than that you're reliant on his Uair which is how I got most KOs. Down B can be used at higher percentages and Fair (but thats pretty telegraphed) so Yoshi has problems KOing.

Again like I said he's not horrible. He's not nearly as bad as Gannon, or the bottom Tier characters in Melee. He's better than Melee Yoshi, Young Link, Melee G&W, Melee Pichu, Melee Zelda, etc, but he still is at a disadvantage compared to most of the cast. He's still usable but you'd have to be exceptionally skilled if you plan to win with him at the top level of play.

Kirby M.D.

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi fans are very, very easily riled aren't they? Anyhoo, have the Japanese stopped running tourneys or something?

Top Bottom