• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Helpful Tip for Mid Level Players

Pogogo

Smash Journeyman
I consider myself midlevel, which in practical terms is pretty bad, but still I have a tip for people like me trying to get better. When first learning advanced techniques, lcanceling and shorthopping blow you away. They are just so useful that mid level players master these techniques and have little trouble. Basic combos as well. Wavedashing is tougher. Not to do per say but to apply. For example, wavedashing off a ledge is very risky and precise, so many mid level players avoid this. Similar to waveshining. Although there is less risk, u can still flub it up and leave yourself vulnerable. I have heard many players of my skill level say they just get hit more when wding and "improves movement" is very vague.

The most useful and simple application I can think of is this. If you pick fox, say, against a comp peach on fd. With the peach close to you, try dash dancing and then breaking out of it with a nair. You can dart in and out no problem. However, when running from a greater distance, you can no longer cancel your dash. Try running up from the other side of the stage and pushing backwards on the control stick when u get too close. The smooth turnaround isn't there. The wavesdash back here is essential. It baits attacks, spot dodges and places you in no risk. Many people (ie me) will just jump in this situation or roll neither of which confers the advantage of the wd and in fact puts you at a disadvantage. Something to practice which Im sure some consider very obvious.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
You know you can crouch to stop your dash right? You can crouch-> dash immediately. This resets your initial dash and lets you dash back rather than having to wavedash.

But erm yeah, wavedash back is good sometimes. But I'd say thats a more low-level tech than something that will push a mid-level player to high-level.

Phoenix~Lament

Smash Ace
Yeah you can crouch to reset your dash.

also, i wouldn't consider anything you've said to be mid-level unfortunately. any questions about tech skill or the uses of tech skill i'd put on a beginner level, because if you have questions about tech skill it's very unlikely you're competing in tournaments to any degree of success. mid-level players i would consider to be moderately successful tournament-goers but haven't broken into the money-winning realms yet.

Pogogo

Smash Journeyman
Thats just semantics. I did try this first before I posted but I find it hard.... I crouch and slide. Am I just too slow?

Bing

Smash Master
hmm, you say Waveshining is less risky then wave-dashing off a ledge? I'd reverse that, when wave-shining you always have that potential to screw up and forward b off the stage.

Pogogo

Smash Journeyman
no i mean onto. Like when your on the ledge and want to get on the stage. The other way is fine but you could just short hop.

Mr Wizzrobe

Smash Journeyman
Well you shouldn't always wave land on the stage anyway. There are about 7 ways to get back on stage (get on, roll, jump, let go and jump back on, let go and wavedash back on, edge-attack, let go and jump back on with an aerial), and it's very important to mix them up. Otherwise a smart player will punish you to ****.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Everything about this thread can be summarized to:

1) Don't jump into the ****

2) Think about what you're doing

3) If you suck at something important, practice it; don't avoid it

This is no-brainer stuff.

Van.

Smash Ace
By the time you can be considered "low level" you have all of the tech skill you will ever need.

l0telephone0l

Smash Cadet
Wait. That's considered mid level? Wavedashing to edgehog is incredibly low level. If you can't do that consistently, than you're not close to mid level yet. Just because you can L-cancel and do some advanced tech's doesn't mean that you're midlevel. Low level is being able to do most every important advanced tech consistently and applying it. Mid level is ****** low level due to game knowledge/spacing etc. Don't ask me about high level.

Practice more ^_^

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Wait. That's considered mid level? Wavedashing to edgehog is incredibly low level. If you can't do that consistently, than you're not close to mid level yet. Just because you can L-cancel and do some advanced tech's doesn't mean that you're midlevel.
I thought it was just me who was thinking this.

Massive

Smash Champion
I don't believe there is any clear distinction of levels of play in smash.
Everything listed here is pretty basic stuff.

If it were possible to distinctly define ability level, Beginner or "Low level" players would have a grasp on basic game mechanics and be capable of performing some of the more rudimentary strategies as well as implementing basic technical necessities such as L-cancelling and edgehogging.

"Mid level" players would ideally be completely aware of their character(s) capabilities, technically proficient in every major facet of gameplay, and be able to understand/predict the vast majority of game mechanics either through subconscious awareness or direct focus.

Ideally the only differences between a "mid level" and "high level" would be perfected execution, experience, and mastery of prediction/strategy.

However, since people tend to subconsciously pick and choose what things they master, there are "low level" players who can waveshine > shorthop-doublelaser and "high level" players who struggle with moon-walking. Smash ability is too varied to be classified so rigidly.

Qortex

Smash Rookie
I guess you could say a mid-level player could apply all of the techs into basic combos, mind games, punishes, etc.

Phoenix~Lament

Smash Ace
any questions about tech skill or the uses of tech skill i'd put on a beginner level, because if you have questions about tech skill it's very unlikely you're competing in tournaments to any degree of success.

mid-level players i would consider to be moderately successful tournament-goers but haven't broken into the money-winning realms yet (of course it depends on how competitive your area is though). the questions and problems they'd be experiencing most is breaking into high level competition. at a national they would do well in pools but be borderline on making it into brackets.

earning money from local tournaments is a reality for high level competitors and is usually expected. they should generally be respected and known as good players in their region (if nothing else). at nationals, they blow past pools and find good competition in the brackets, though only the very best at smash can realistically expect to earn money from a national.

levels of skill should be based on tournament performance because it directly reflects the metagame and how well people perform in the context of communal competition. basing skill off of more abstract things such as "how deeply people understand the game" is extremely difficult to self-assess to any reasonable degree of accuracy.

the best thing about dividing skill this way is that it directly reflects how good of a player you are, how well you can adapt to new situations and figure out opponents, and how creative you are - two skills that are notoriously difficult to measure.

Top Bottom