• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Giant Falls: Nairo Wins MLG New Orleans!

MLG has once again hosted the event that marked the fall of an undefeated champion. In 2006 PC Chris would be the one to take down Ken in Melee. In 2015 Liquid`Nairo would at MLG New Orleans for their 100th event to finally stop TSM | ZeRo's 50+ tournament win streak. After a crazy run through the bracket including a match against PG | ESAM where Dr. Mario took on Samus MLG New Orleans will mark a new moment in the history of Smash 4. This first year for Smash 4 has been driven by a strong narrative of who would be the first to take down ZeRo. Now it is time for a new story: what new legends will form?

The Final Standings For Smash 4 At MLG New Orleans

Many of the names in these final standings have come against each other many times with varying results. Who knows which may take home the next big major. While ZeRo finally lost today he has still cemented himself as a legend within the Smash community and there is no telling if another winning streak will begin again. "Hope you guys enjoyed watching! It was a ton of fun!" ZeRo said on Twitter. "I'm feeling great actually. I tried my best but it wasn't enough! No shame in that!" Today marks a moment in Smash 4 history and illuminates the fantastic future ahead of the game. Long live Smash 4!

Last edited:

Comments

If you watch the time the last match ends at, this becomes mildly appropriate

anyways, congrats Nairo.

How has he been dethroned?
This is ZeRo's first tournament loss in 2015.
He is far from being dethroned.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Zero has won like 50 tourneys in a row. Until Zero starts getting beat by Nairo consistently...like losing 4 out of his next 5 tournaments to him...I don't think he's in any threat of losing his #1 rank. Nairo did it once, now to become the #1 player he has to keep beating Zero consistently.

Last edited:
Man, I was really hoping it would be Abadango or ESAM to take him down, but now that I think about it, Nairo has been 2nd in so many tourneys to ZeRo, he is the most deserving. Congrats Nairo!

First of all show some respect.

Second, The guy won 50+ tournaments before he got beat and you're saying that he got dethroned? Do you not understand the level of skill it would take to pull that off? Who else has done that? Zero was bound to lose a tournament some time. And even then, he came in second.

Yes, it's about time he lost but just the simple fact that we're ALL saying that same line clearly shows that Zero is the best. If Nairo could pull off what Zero has already accomplished then I'll think otherwise but there's no way in hell that one tournament affects Zero's standings.

Last edited by a moderator:

Second, The guy won 50+ tournaments before he got beat and you're saying that he got dethroned? Do you not understand the level of skill it would take to pull that off? Who else has done that? Zero was bound to lose a tournament some time. And even then, he came in second.

Yes, it's about time he lost but just the simple fact that we're ALL saying that same line clearly shows that Zero is the best. If Nairo could pull off what Zero has already accomplished then I'll think otherwise but there's no way in hell that one tournament affects Zero's standings.
Are you stupid? My post did not imply that he was some sort of noskill. Zero's an arrogant ****, and he displays poor sportsmanship in so many different ways. I'm glad this fat ass is off his high horse. He actually loses this time, making it more interesting to see who actually wins.

Hop off his ****, kid.

Last edited by a moderator:
So ZeRo is the God and Nairo is now the Demi-God. The plot thickens... Smash the record is going to be interesting...

However, I won't consider Nairo to be better then ZeRo until Nairo has the set advantage.

So Nairo takes a tournament off Zero and everyone thinks he is #1 or something lmao! I mean taking 2 sets from Zero doesn't mean he isn't #1 or "has fallen", in fact, this type of fake hype is what causes top players to quit the game. Whatever, I guess people really want to hype this game or something.

THE CHOSEN ONE SEEMED FAR AWAY
BUT FINALLY WE'VE REACHED THE DAY
ONE PLAYER FINALLY DEFEATED ZERO
THE WORLD NOW BELONGS TO NAIRO

Last edited:
Cue all of the For Glory warriors playing as only ZSS now because "omg zss is da noo top tear!!!!!!".

This is a big moment, though. The winds of change might just be starting to blow.
Hey, nothing wrong with that. If people are inspired by Nairo and want to train with ZSS, they should go for it. Like ZeRo tweeted out earlier, this should be a thing that motivates people to play Smash 4, and train harder.

GG to nairo! He often could have beaten ZeRo but he always choked hard.
ZeRo seems kinda happy about that loss, I think he's gonna be less stressed about his streak. GG to him and Nairo! :)

I'm just waiting for the video where ZeRo johns on about not playing his best... #nojohns.

Joking aside, Nairo has been putting in work lately, Nairo deserved to be the one to beat ZeRo. Also, I think with the weight of such a winning streak off his back, ZeRo will probably feel relief and may feel a lot less stressed. Even if he doesn't win as many tournaments from here on out (lets be real, he's probably still gonna be winning most of them), hopefully he can enjoy the game much more now. Props to both players, such a great moment to see Nairo's joy at winning.

Hey, nothing wrong with that. If people are inspired by Nairo and want to train with ZSS, they should go for it. Like ZeRo tweeted out earlier, this should be a thing that motivates people to play Smash 4, and train harder.
I know that but there is a difference between wanting to train to be better, and thoughtless bandwagoning because you think one character will be best regardless of what work you put in. I was referring to the latter.

This was an amazing finals to watch. Nairo finally did it and he completely deserves it; he played very well. I'm glad that Nairo and ZeRo are both great friends too and ZeRo took the loss really well~

If a King has been in power for 20yrs and a coup takes place, he's dethroned, regardless of how long/much he was in power.

Last edited:
Are you stupid? My post did not imply that he was some sort of noskill. Zero's an arrogant ****, and he displays poor sportsmanship in so many different ways. I'm glad this fat *** is off his high horse. He actually loses this time, making it more interesting to see who actually wins.

Hop off his ****, kid.
So let him be. I'm just as happy to see him beat as anybody else but you don't see me throwing out rude remarks about him that has nothing to do wit him as a player. So who's the kid again? Regardless of who he is as a person, he's done something that probably won't ever happen again. Don't get salty cuz I called you out on your immaturity.

That was an amazing loser's run holy carp
beating Esam's Pikachu with the Doc and resetting the bracket and winning against Zero

I'll never doubt Nairo again

It broke his winning streak. He was dethroned.
Loss of a win streak does not a beggar make. The throne is the #1 spot, Zero is #1 and therefore remains the king. I don't care for this game in the least but that's just the blatant truth. Ken remains the king of smash to this day and we all know he lost multiple matches even in his prime. In fact, his streak was actually nowhere near as impressive as Zero's if we're being completely honest. tl;dr Zero will be the king so long as he maintains his seat as #1. What he lost here was the illusion that he was invincible which was hyped up beyond belief by sm4sh players and repeatedly denied by Zero himself.

Top Bottom