• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A few AT and other Questions

Gaaraofthesand1337

Smash Cadet
After being hit at high percentages, is it better to avoid side-ko's by using fair, or using an airdodge and then the second jump, or a special like pika's over b or marth's over b or luigi's over b? Or something else?

How do you grab onto the ledge right from the stage? I've seen people do this, but could not figure out how to do it myself

Is there a faster way to grab onto the ledge that is more guarenteed? For example, i was ko'd by a ddd's fsmash off the edge when i was recovering w/toon link b/c he passed right by the edge, while other times and w/ other chars they grabbed the edge - doesnt happen often, but its annoying when it does

How exactly do the different Marth dancing blade combos work? When do you imput the different directions?

Which buttons exactly do what for getting back to the stage from the ledge? Sometimes when i hit up, it jumps and sometimes it just goes up, while when i hit R, it sometimes rolls, goes up, or attacks. I always thought a + b attack, l + r roll, up gets up, and x + y jump - also, is there a way to choose which attack to do, the instant recovering attack or the delayed attack?

•Col•

Smash Champion
After being hit at high percentages, is it better to avoid side-ko's by using fair, or using an airdodge and then the second jump, or a special like pika's over b or marth's over b or luigi's over b? Or something else?

Depends on what chatacter you're playing. Most characters should use their aerials, but some should use the airdodge. For instance, Ike has such slow aerials, that it is quicker for him to airdodge and use his second jump. You shouldn't really use people's side b's to cancel your momentum, because whenever you get away and use a Special move, you get popped up into the air a little more(death off of ceiling).

How do you grab onto the ledge right from the stage? I've seen people do this, but could not figure out how to do it myself

It's called ledgehugging. You just have to run off the stage, and as soon as you go off of it, hold towards the stage. It's easier if you start out by first practicing standing right at the ledge(whenever the character does the "WHOA, I'M GONNA FALL OFF" pose) then just tap left/right, then hold towards the stage.

Is there a faster way to grab onto the ledge that is more guarenteed? For example, i was ko'd by a ddd's fsmash off the edge when i was recovering w/toon link b/c he passed right by the edge, while other times and w/ other chars they grabbed the edge - doesnt happen often, but its annoying when it does

Uh.... Not sure what you're saying here....

How exactly do the different Marth dancing blade combos work? When do you imput the different directions?

Yes. After the first swipe, you can either input Upwards, or Forwards again. After the second swipe, you can input Upwards, Forwards, or Downwards. Same goes for the last swipe of Dancing Blades.

Which buttons exactly do what for getting back to the stage from the ledge? Sometimes when i hit up, it jumps and sometimes it just goes up, while when i hit R, it sometimes rolls, goes up, or attacks. I always thought a + b attack, l + r roll, up gets up, and x + y jump - also, is there a way to choose which attack to do, the instant recovering attack or the delayed attack?

Also depends on the character. Some characters have better ways of getting onto the stage from a ledge, like Marth. However, usually the best option of either doing a Ledge attack, standing up from the ledge, rolling from the ledge, or jumping from a ledge, jumping from the ledge is usually the best option, as it is the hardest to punish.

Answers in red.

Gaaraofthesand1337

Smash Cadet
Answers in red.
Thanks a lot man; i'll need to practice those - And for that question, i mean that sometimes when recovering and trying to grab onto the edge, i don't grab it, but instead float helplessly next to it for a second before grabbing it and get hit by smashes/etc - other times i grab it automatically like normal - this happens from different heights and i've been ko'd this way at least 5 times since posting this lol

FrozenFire13

Smash Ace

Well using your example with Toon Link, the problem could very well be that you are just starting the recovery to close to the ledge. As in not far enough below it for it to sweetspot. Either that, or you sometimes hold down on your analog for some reason? Whenever possible, using tether recoveries (T.Links hookshot) is a faster and potentially safer way of recovery.

If you push your analog stick up, you will climb up the ledge normally. Hitting the A or B buttons will do one of two things: If you are at 99% or lower, you will do the "instant recovering attack" if you are at 100% or higher, you will do the delayed attack. Hitting L or R will make your character roll onto the stage with invincibility frames. Doing this as soon as you grab the ledge will give you more invincibility frames than normal. Hitting the X or Y buttons will make you jump. I prefer pressing the analog back and then jump up with an fair (or whatever is more conveniant) to get back off the ledge. But it takes you double jump away, so be careful.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Yesterday, I was asking around these boards on about how to do this very thing yesterday! :laugh: Anyway's back on topic...

As for your first question, almost every character has a unique way of of cancelling air momentum both horizontally and vertically. (horizontally more IMO) I think by the looks of it, you already know about canceling vertical air momentum, but I'll talk about it anyway. The main rule for cancelling vertical air momentum for most characters when you are knocked up vertically into the air at a high % is to use their fastest aerial + Fastfall (Fastest way to do this is to hold down on the control stick before you're able execute your fastest aerial during hitstun (a state you're in when you're sent flying) using the C-Stick to use your aerial attack). Some characters however, may have a special move that can assist them canceling vertical air momentum much more quicker.

Surviving horizontal KO's is harder to do depending on which character you use. (I mentioned above that almost everybody has a unique way of recovering) Most characters for the 1st phase, use their fastest aerial to regain control while others use an airdodge like Ike for example. Then they can either choose to jump or fast fall depending on the situation. And if possible, a charater can use their special move to cancel horizontal momentum even further. I'll give you 3 examples on how these methods can vary from character to character:

Ike: Knocked back horizontally: Air Dodge + Jump. (Main one) or
Airdodge + Jump + QUICK DRAW (>B) (situational depending on the stage however)
Knocked back vertically: Dair/Bair + Fastfall

MK: Knocked back horizontally: Fastfall Uair + Jump+Glide. (Main one) or
Fastfall Uair +>B toward stage (situational depending on the stage however)
Knocked back vertically: Uair + Fastfall

G&W: Knocked back horizontally: Nair + Fastfall + Down B (AKA Bucket braking)
Knocked back vertically: Nair + Fastfall (main one) or
Nair + Fastfall+ Down B (I think the Down B makes you rise a little. That's why it's situational to use sometimes for cancelling vertical air momentum)

I found a couple of videos that might be able to help you to understand this. IDK if you have seen any of them or not, but it should answer a few of your questions hopefully...

How to Recover, after DI: momentum cancelling, etc.
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=njcYW0rFmUg

Recovering in Brawl: Momentum-Cancelling examples
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=vx3ixgO_i8o

G&W Bucket Braking + moar!
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=UuXBIYnMuTE

For Marth's Dancing blade question, this attack can be altered between a strong vertical hit move, a strong horizontal attack move or a multi hit attack move for the final swipe. For the vertical one, just hold up after you initiate the attack and time when you press B in order to make the move stronger. The other types of attacks follow this method, but to get the multi hit attack, hold down while pressing B. For the horizontal attack one, just keep pressing B once you've initiated the attack.

Again, I've got a site where you can see how to do it...

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/hidden02.html

For the other questions, I think they have been answered reasonably well.

Gaaraofthesand1337

Smash Cadet
Yesterday, I was asking around these boards on about how to do this very thing yesterday! :laugh: Anyway's back on topic...

As for your first question, almost every character has a unique way of of cancelling air momentum both horizontally and vertically. (horizontally more IMO) I think by the looks of it, you already know about canceling vertical air momentum, but I'll talk about it anyway. The main rule for cancelling vertical air momentum for most characters when you are knocked up vertically into the air at a high % is to use their fastest aerial + Fastfall (Fastest way to do this is to hold down on the control stick before you're able execute your fastest aerial during hitstun (a state you're in when you're sent flying) using the C-Stick to use your aerial attack). Some characters however, may have a special move that can assist them canceling vertical air momentum much more quicker.

Surviving horizontal KO's is harder to do depending on which character you use. (I mentioned above that almost everybody has a unique way of recovering) Most characters for the 1st phase, use their fastest aerial to regain control while others use an airdodge like Ike for example. Then they can either choose to jump or fast fall depending on the situation. And if possible, a charater can use their special move to cancel horizontal momentum even further. I'll give you 3 examples on how these methods can vary from character to character:

Ike: Knocked back horizontally: Air Dodge + Jump. (Main one) or
Airdodge + Jump + QUICK DRAW (>B) (situational depending on the stage however)
Knocked back vertically: Dair/Bair + Fastfall

MK: Knocked back horizontally: Fastfall Uair + Jump+Glide. (Main one) or
Fastfall Uair +>B toward stage (situational depending on the stage however)
Knocked back vertically: Uair + Fastfall

G&W: Knocked back horizontally: Nair + Fastfall + Down B (AKA Bucket braking)
Knocked back vertically: Nair + Fastfall (main one) or
Nair + Fastfall+ Down B (I think the Down B makes you rise a little. That's why it's situational to use sometimes for cancelling vertical air momentum)

I found a couple of videos that might be able to help you to understand this. IDK if you have seen any of them or not, but it should answer a few of your questions hopefully...

How to Recover, after DI: momentum cancelling, etc.
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=njcYW0rFmUg

Recovering in Brawl: Momentum-Cancelling examples
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=vx3ixgO_i8o

G&W Bucket Braking + moar!
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=UuXBIYnMuTE

For Marth's Dancing blade question, this attack can be altered between a strong vertical hit move, a strong horizontal attack move or a multi hit attack move for the final swipe. For the vertical one, just hold up after you initiate the attack and time when you press B in order to make the move stronger. The other types of attacks follow this method, but to get the multi hit attack, hold down while pressing B. For the horizontal attack one, just keep pressing B once you've initiated the attack.

Again, I've got a site where you can see how to do it...

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/hidden02.html

For the other questions, I think they have been answered reasonably well.
Great explanation - I've got it down perfectly now - and i'll have to practice up on the dancing blade - thanks for the help!

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
Do you mean like tethering the stage as you're getting knocked back sideways at high percents? I don't use Link and I'm not great with Toon Link but I've seen people hit Z twice immediately after getting dsmashed by Fox and grab the edge with the clawshot, more or less canceling the knockback. But it was really fast.

Top Bottom