• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Fatal Flaw

Satyrium

Smash Cadet
Hello Ike'ers.

I've just started maining this character about a month/2 months ago. I've learned a lot there is to know about him but I'm having trouble with one aspect of this character.

Whenever I find myself on the edge of a level (still standing but just on the edge), facing inward, and I happen to attack someone that has a shield, it blows me off the edge and makes me do a Nair while falling to my death off the side. This seems impossible to recover by as well.

So basically, does anyone else know of this problem and is there a way to solve it? Or is the solution to simply not attack players when on the edge of the level.

Hoser

Smash Ace
The only thing you can do is not attack that close to the edge. if you N-air as you're falling, you're not getting back.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I hate that, Nair has so much freaking lag when it isn't canceled, it's killed me OVER 9,000!!!!! times as well! :(

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
It happened to me quite often, and then I decided not to attack so close like that, but then I realized that all you have to do is hold the attack button while attacking in that provocative position (that is, considering you're jabbing which is probably what you're doing). Otherwise, you just need to be more careful and not mash the A button when attacking like that.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I think every Ike player has died by this at least three times.

Just don't try to jab while you're being pressured to the edge. Roll away or use your tilts.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Fixed.

You know it's true.
It is. If I could change 5 things about Ike, removing this nair suicide thing would be the 5th thing... xD

Btw... Once I got fed up with it SD'ing this way, I started just holding down the A button to do the jab whenever I was close to the edge... If the opponent shields, you get pushed off, but you don't automatically do the nair... xD

Wyvern-x

Smash Apprentice
This has happened to me so many times. You can survive any aerial from that position except nair.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I suppose my posts just aren't worth reading, are they?
Of course not.

Kidding, I just never hold the A-button since it screws up my Jab canceling, so I just stay away from the edge.

Fixed.

You know it's true.
I was just trying to be modest about it. xD

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
I just never hold the A-button since it screws up my Jab canceling, so I just stay away from the edge.
Why? I'm fairly certain that holding the A button is far more beneficial since it restarts the combo if you miss, and if I'm not mistaken, it makes IASA frames much easier. If you practice with it for even just a few minutes, I'm certain you'd benefit greatly.

They are. They're so good, that they must also be repeated by someone else, just to do it justice. =P
It's a repeating pattern, I've noticed...

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Why? I'm fairly certain that holding the A button is far more beneficial since it restarts the combo if you miss, and if I'm not mistaken, it makes IASA frames much easier. If you practice with it for even just a few minutes, I'm certain you'd benefit greatly.
I'll give it a shot whenever I'm able to play with friends. (School security system is a ***** when it comes to Brawl WiFi)

Berserker_Cross

Smash Apprentice
Happens to me so many times that I got tired of it. So instead I go for a grab or do a retreating f-air and once the edge is cleared I rush my opponent and take charge again. Speedhugs --> ledgehopped aerials work too.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
It's happened to me almost every time I'm near the edge and use ike D:

That's why I usually avoild edges with ike.

-:bowser:Bowser King

DarkOrochi

Smash Rookie
I've always hated this and after the third time it happened I just figured it was something I was going to have to find an edge play style that avoided this.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I got to play metroid1117 (the guy who made the amaaazing Ike reading video) a few times.

he N-aired off the stage and came back.

then again, he did it was he was recovering. I was surprised he made it.

FuRy Smash

Smash Cadet
I got to play metroid1117 (the guy who made the amaaazing Ike reading video) a few times.

he prolly did nair when he was really high above the stage thats why he lived.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Yeah rust me Tenki, if you happen to do Ike's nair by accident, it will cost you. :(

BlueHurricane

Smash Cadet
I once tested if it was possible to survive after using nair off of the ledge. Long story short, it's possible, but you have a better chance of successfully winning tourneys just with Ike's fsmash.

metroid1117

Smash Master

Ahh, those matches were crazy fun :chuckle:.

I think I jumped while NAir'ing, you can survive that. I sometimes walk-off NAir by accident when I try to walk-off DAir with the C-stick though :ohwell:.

•Col•

Smash Champion
I once tested if it was possible to survive after using nair off of the ledge. Long story short, it's possible, but you have a better chance of successfully winning tourneys just with Ike's fsmash.
Eh? It's not possible... o_O Unless it only works on some stages, which may be the case... But I've tested if before as well, and I couldn't get it to work... xD

BlueHurricane

Smash Cadet
Eh? It's not possible... o_O Unless it only works on some stages, which may be the case... But I've tested if before as well, and I couldn't get it to work... xD
It only ever happened to me once on the online waiting room, and I only barely reached the edge.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Just be more careful near the edge. Ike's not the only character that has this problem. What's a real pain is being pushed off the stage as Sonic, ZSS, Toon Link, Shiek, Ice Climbers, or Mr. Game and Watch while trying to do a dtilt/dsmash and then going into a dair and falling to your death like a ******. :urg:

BlueHurricane

Smash Cadet
Eh.... Are you sure you were doing it the right way? o-o
Yeah, I hung onto the ledge, fell a bit, jumped and did nair and Aether. I used nair just barely above the edge, so it's a bit different. But I died the other times I tried.

akkon888

Smash Journeyman
Don't get in the situation. I always thought the edge was safe lol... Taught me by hard experience. Roll out of it.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Yeah, I hung onto the ledge, fell a bit, jumped and did nair and Aether. I used nair just barely above the edge, so it's a bit different. But I died the other times I tried.
No, you can't survive what's being talked about here... xD You're jumping up a little higher than platform height...

Stand near the edge, facing towards the center of the stage, and have someone standing in front of you. Start jabbing with Ike, make sure they powershield (or even just shield? I can't remember) the first jab, and you'll die.

BlueHurricane

Smash Cadet
No, you can't survive what's being talked about here... xD You're jumping up a little higher than platform height...

Stand near the edge, facing towards the center of the stage, and have someone standing in front of you. Start jabbing with Ike, make sure they powershield (or even just shield? I can't remember) the first jab, and you'll die.
It wasn't a significant difference between Ike's feet and the edge, but either way, nair cost me a lot of matches...

Top Bottom