• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Deep Analysis of the Bowsercide Rules

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
I just think suicide moves should be left to the game... Sounds stupid, but I'm not one for suicide moves when they're otherwise mechanically a poor option, even if I do secondary Bowser and Ganon (Although Ganon has no issues with this, really.). Flying Slam is a 'definitely' kind of move to me, something you should only ever throw out only if you're sure it could never backfire. -and I say this because I've had several occurrences where I've let myself be caught by Flying Slam, and veered it off stage, just because I know I'll win or be able to recover out of it.

However, I will say that if the game goes to sudden death for whatever reason, the character with the lower% at the time of the KO should be considered the winner, since that's generally a rule when the game goes to sudden death, etc. anyway.

I just think Bowsercide is rarely an actual option for someone wanting to close a win - it's a winmore option against a good portion of characters, simply put, and I think that that's strong enough by itself. I have no reason, even as a Bowser secondary, to really want it to always take win priority.

That being said - I think Ganoncide has a lot to answer for on this subject, so I'll cover my opinions on Ganoncide, and relate it too.

I think Ganoncide has a lot to answer for in relation to the general saltiness behind this subject, and yes, while I support Bowsercide being left to the game, what I will say is that all suicide moves should be given similar treatment, escapable or otherwise. Yes, Ganoncide is harder to perform, arguably, but it's the certainty of it that makes it so incredibly hurtful to the player base. It's why in early FG days, you'd get people baiting for double Ganoncides. It was just too easy to perform either on accident, or if your opponent has a low skill level (-and yes, I know this thread is in relation to tournament play and that's more about FG, but generally the saltiness behind Ganoncide still lingers in the rare chance it happens in tournament play.).

What I will say is that Bowsercide is much, much more difficult to secure to your advantage. -and while the issue should be patched to be a definitive 'win'/'loss'/'tie' answer, I think Ganoncide and for that matter all "suicide attacks" should follow the same rules too. -and what that leaves us with is a dilemma of which is more fair to the general meta, rather than Bowser in general.

My personal belief is that all suicide moves should be patched and reworked to force a tie on final stocks, and be inescapable. This way, they're pretty much always safe while above a stock, a % reset if you're even, and in the case of a final stock, you can still use them once your % gets higher than your foe's in competitive play. The reason I say this is because it's a blatantly fair system. The person who was in the lead can still secure a win with 'cide moves in tournament play, rather than it just being an instant/potential win option for someone getting bodied to throw out on a whim, similar to what a lot of people accuse Ganoncide of being.

I just feel an always tie option for all suicide moves from Bowsercide and Ganoncide (Yes, I'm saying nerf Ganoncide.) to even Robin's lesser/never used Nosferatucide would be much, much fairer for a ton of reasons. Even outside of patching, I think tournaments should take this mindset to just outright avoid unnecessary losses to suicide moves, while allowing them to still be a viable option to those wishing to secure a win.

All that being said, I do consider myself a dirty casual, so feel free to totally derail my argument if you disagree. :sheep:

Top Bottom