• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A comparison between Brawl online & Mario Kart Wii online... WTF?

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Quote "It's a pleasure to say that Mario Kart's online mode is even better than its offline is."

http://wii.ign.com/articles/868/868012p1.html
Online talk at time 4:45

There is a link to a video review by IGN about Mario Kart Wii. It saddens me that a game released not much later than Brawl has such a great online interface with amazing functionality.

A few highlights:
- There are online tournaments
- It has "leaderboards"
- It adds a new channel to Wii menu just for the online stuff with Mario Kart
- You can add friends and join a game straight from Wii Menu (getting closer to xbox live at all?)

Any hope for Nintendo releasing a new channel for people with Brawl?

Discuss.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
Brawls online sucks, so I only get on when I manage to set up a match with friends. Nintendo just screwed us.

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
Even mario strikers has better online, and that came out BEFORE brawl.
There is no excuse for this at all.

Merely the incompetance of whoever was in charge.

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
I also wanted to open a thread about this. The differences are amazing to say the least. On Mario Kart you have literally NO lag, even if there are 12 Karts on the track. You only have to wait 2-3 seconds before Lakitu starts the race. Brawl doesn't even manages to produce a lag-free game for 2 people.

Tofu Beast

Smash Ace
hmmm

good online would have been nice, but I much prefer playing with a few friends at my house and going to tournaments.

Online tournaments suck.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Sakurai wanted Brawl to be "everyone wins". An uncompetitive party where we all laugh at each other and not try and be the best (See the first post of "Sakurai doesn't want Brawl to be competitive" for details). This kind of explains our crappy online among other things.

Whoever's directing Mario Kart however, isn't like Sakurai thankfully.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
ya i got MK yesterday noticed no lag at all SSBB has been worked on for like 3 years now MKl was like half that. I still prefer SSBB and will continue to play it a lot (not as much as melee because melee was totally diffrent from the original this one to me is only 10 more characters with more stages) but i feel sad saying this but I might actually be sorta happy that......Sakurai wont be making the next brawls. Did i just say that?

6footninja

Smash Ace
I also wanted to open a thread about this. The differences are amazing to say the least. On Mario Kart you have literally NO lag, even if there are 12 Karts on the track. You only have to wait 2-3 seconds before Lakitu starts the race. Brawl doesn't even manages to produce a lag-free game for 2 people.
Yeah, I wish Nintendo would be more aware (unless they're just ignoring us) and address it, and tell us a decent explanation as to why the lag is so bad. At least that would stop all the threads about it from flooding the screen

Scyther3176

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I wish Nintendo would be more aware (unless they're just ignoring us) and address it, and tell us a decent explanation as to why the lag is so bad. At least that would stop all the threads about it from flooding the screen
They did say that by the PAL release that the online would be ironed out...but we don't even have a PAL release date!!

Riolu

Smash Apprentice
Brawl's connection is P2P, which accounts for most lag and isn't that great for a precision game to begin with.

MK Wii sound slike it may actually have *gasp* SERVERS, or better yet some sort of infrastructure.

Thanks, Nintendo.
Brawl isn't P2P. It uses servers.

However, it still doesn't change the fact that Brawl wifi sucks.

M.K

Level 55
Mario Kart Wii showed us that not only did Brawl have crappy Wi-Fi, it shows us what could have been!

shadydentist

Smash Lord
Keep in mind, lag works a lot differently on racing games than on fighting games. With racing games, its safe for the game to "predict" what you're opponents are going. Therefore, there's no input lag, because the computer doesn't have to wait to find out what your opponent is doing before it executes your action.

Its the exact opposite for fighting games, because every frame matters. Both actions have to be executed at the same time, so the game has to wait for information from your opponent before it can react. This is why theres that lag between inputting an attack and watching it execute in online play.

Bone64

Smash Cadet
I don't think Nintendo will release a channel for Brawl's online.

Brawl's online is not bad, but it's simple.

I think Mario Kart Wii's online is way better.

IGN Forums

Smash Journeyman
famitsu says by next year the online will be 100% lagless and will have a voicechat in the Wi-fi menu!

IGN Forums

Smash Journeyman
brawl has WAY MORE game modes than Mario Kart that's why it's laggy... The game has masterpieces, stage builder, online multi-man brawl... The game is literaly exploding or breaking down on some people. Brawl is the biggest game EVER!! It has too much stuff plus a lot of people are playing at the same time!!

Rash

Smash Ace
It's all about the servers. I think Nintendo was more set on dedicating servers to Mario Kart than Brawl because Mario Kart, as it stands, is a more important online game to them. It's "bridge title" status makes it more dire to provide a good online experience, even though Brawl is, in my opinion, a great "bridge title" as well.

TuRk E

Smash Apprentice
hmmm

good online would have been nice, but I much prefer playing with a few friends at my house and going to tournaments.

Online tournaments suck.
Yea but it still would have been nice to get a good online service for practice at least....

Spellman

Smash Ace
Keep in mind, lag works a lot differently on racing games than on fighting games. With racing games, its safe for the game to "predict" what you're opponents are going. Therefore, there's no input lag, because the computer doesn't have to wait to find out what your opponent is doing before it executes your action.

Its the exact opposite for fighting games, because every frame matters. Both actions have to be executed at the same time, so the game has to wait for information from your opponent before it can react. This is why theres that lag between inputting an attack and watching it execute in online play.
Yeah, right here I'd say is key. Another thing about this game as a racing game is we're probably not going to experience much of that lag that makes the game pause because it is unnecessary. One of the reasons I feel that Brawl pauses so much is that it's much fairer to have both players pause than have one character blipping all over the screen due to lag. In Mario Kart Wii, like Mario Kart DS, whenever one player is having connection problems, the game won't pause, the player will just appear to have unusual driving habits, for example, if your opponent makes a slight turn towards a chasm and loses connection briefly with you, it might appear that he has driven into the chasm, but a few seconds later, he will have blipped back onto the track again. It seems like it could mean that red shells miss more, but for some reason they don't seem to.

TuRk E

Smash Apprentice
The online tournaments for mario kart sounds nice. According to the ign review, unless I misinterpreted, there is no snaking online. Idk if that will turn people off much like the loss of the wavedash but the snaking capability seems much less important than the wavedash was to smash.

ollenberger121

Smash Apprentice
snakeing in mario cart was the only way to win ever EVER ....there were no mind games, techs,op carts there was only snakeing

Rash

Smash Ace
Snaking was broken. It made online unfun. Even though I don't care for wavedashing, I can at least say it enhanced the gameplay for competitives. Snaking just ******** Mario Kart DS.

Nintendo making snaking impossible was a godsend.

Spellman

Smash Ace
Snaking was broken. It made online unfun. Even though I don't care for wavedashing, I can at least say it enhanced the gameplay for competitives. Snaking just ******** Mario Kart DS.

It wasn't exactly broken other then the fact that a snaker will always beat a non-snaker and most of the karts, but it was definitely unfun, and hard on the hardware. Mashing back and forth on the control stick or D-pad could get really intense if you're trying to dish out boosts extremely fast.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Dear god, I hope Sakurai doesn't get to be in charge of any other game again...EVER! Every gamer I know, even casual, HATES Brawl's online and they even laugh at "Friend Codes". I know the whole foundation of the online was set early in development, but it's online was crucial for it's success, and it has by far one of the worst online avalable for ANY Nintendo game. Mario Kart DS is better for heaven's sake!

Rash

Smash Ace
What does it have to do with Sakurai? It wasn't his idea to have online like it is.

Heck, the guy doesn't even work directly under Nintendo anymore. Blame Nintendo for the wrongdoing. They didn't put enough resources towards Brawl's WiFi connection. This can obviously be seen if you look at Mario Kart Wii's online, which I've heard is flawless.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
What does it have to do with Sakurai? It wasn't his idea to have online like it is.

Heck, the guy doesn't even work directly under Nintendo anymore. Blame Nintendo for the wrongdoing. They didn't put enough resources towards Brawl's WiFi connection. This can obviously be seen if you look at Mario Kart Wii's online, which I've heard is flawless.
If you read Iwata asks, you'd know that Skaurai actually submitted the online plans prior to Nintendo created the Wi-Fi connection.

shadydentist

Smash Lord

I disagree. Snaking added a lot of depth to MKDS, especially in Time Trial, because that meant that the most important thing about going fast was finding the right line. A lot of MKDS's replayability was, for me, finding the best racing line through all of the courses. Without snaking, the game would have been much more basic.

Of course, in a way I'm also happy to see it go, as snaking took way too much finger strength to do for long periods of time.

The online tournaments for mario kart sounds nice. According to the ign review, unless I misinterpreted, there is no snaking online. Idk if that will turn people off much like the loss of the wavedash but the snaking capability seems much less important than the wavedash was to smash.
Snaking is far more important to Mario Kart than Wavedashing is to Brawl.

It's all about the servers. I think Nintendo was more set on dedicating servers to Mario Kart than Brawl because Mario Kart, as it stands, is a more important online game to them. It's "bridge title" status makes it more dire to provide a good online experience, even though Brawl is, in my opinion, a great "bridge title" as well.
I don't think so. Its been proven that Brawl Online, after you log into WFC, is strictly peer to peer based, with no central servers. So thats not the reason.

Spellman

Smash Ace
I disagree. Snaking added a lot of depth to MKDS, especially in Time Trial, because that meant that the most important thing about going fast was finding the right line.
Snaking was actually kind of fun in Time Trial admittedly. Shaving off my Baby Park record was fun as I was competing with someone else at this.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I'm glad snaking is out, snaking=/=wavedashing. You can beat a wavedasher without WDing but you can't beat a snaker without snaking.

XERAMPELINAE

Smash Apprentice
I wish I could say that brawl would come out with a patch to fix this, but I believe that they officially stated that there would be no downloadable content for the game :(
A patch is not necessary. A Brawl channel or something of the sort can solve the problem. I am not as pessimistic as I was before now that I see that there is this kind of channel for Mario Kart.

But it is so dissapointing that Mario Kart got that kind of attention while Brawl did not. Brawl can't even let you play people around the world. And I still remember Iwata saying something like "Soon, an American Luigi will be able to play against a Japanese Luigi." Not EVER going to happen with the only online capabilities currently available for Brawl.

NewbieMcNasty

Smash Rookie
In all honesty, I love Mario Kart, and I'm glad the online mode is going to be great. But personally playing a fighting game online is a lot more appealing to me than racing online. With that being said, I would have much rather seen the features and options incorporated into Brawl.

Spellman

Smash Ace
A patch is not necessary. A Brawl channel or something of the sort can solve the problem. I am not as pessimistic as I was before now that I see that there is this kind of channel for Mario Kart.

But it is so dissapointing that Mario Kart got that kind of attention while Brawl did not. Brawl can't even let you play people around the world. And I still remember Iwata saying something like "Soon, an American Luigi will be able to play against a Japanese Luigi." Not EVER going to happen with the only online capabilities currently available for Brawl.
I thought I read somewhere that the "Mario Kart Wii Channel" was actually part of the software, and that you can't access it without loading Mario Kart Wii anyways, so it's not like a stand alone channel on your Wii Menu, it's actually in the game and they just call it a channel.

So Brawl would be doing something new if it did that...

XERAMPELINAE

Smash Apprentice
I thought I read somewhere that the "Mario Kart Wii Channel" was actually part of the software, and that you can't access it without loading Mario Kart Wii anyways, so it's not like a stand alone channel on your Wii Menu, it's actually in the game and they just call it a channel.

So Brawl would be doing something new if it did that...

Yes, the channel is included in the software, just like the latest games have the latest Wii updates inside of the software. But such channel may also be downloaded from Wii Shop Channel/Wii Ware. The channel incorporates the game's content to go online.
A Smash Channel is possible if downloaded from Wii Ware, and it would only work when Smash Bros. Brawl is inside the Wii. It would work just like Mario Kart.

selendrile

Smash Apprentice
It's obvious Sakurai thought of Brawl online as an afterthought. If he cared he would have not only fixed the lag but also added more features like Mario Kart.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Post I ignored

Here's a brief list of all the games that have better online than Brawl:

Mario Kart DS(Rarely laggy)
Pokemon D/P(Voice Chat)
Mario Strikers(Not as laggy, leaderboards)
Metroid Prime Hunters(OH MY GOD, someone let Retro do the online for EVERYTHING nintendo related, minimal lag, rankings, voice chats for friends, IT CAME OUT YEARS AGO AND ITS BETTER THAN ANYTHING COMING OUT NOW)
MKWii

Im sure there's more, i just haven't played alot of games online cus Friends Codes piss me off.

TuRk E

Smash Apprentice
I disagree. Snaking added a lot of depth to MKDS, especially in Time Trial, because that meant that the most important thing about going fast was finding the right line. A lot of MKDS's replayability was, for me, finding the best racing line through all of the courses. Without snaking, the game would have been much more basic.

Of course, in a way I'm also happy to see it go, as snaking took way too much finger strength to do for long periods of time.

Snaking is far more important to Mario Kart than Wavedashing is to Brawl.

I don't think so. Its been proven that Brawl Online, after you log into WFC, is strictly peer to peer based, with no central servers. So thats not the reason.
I greatly disagree with the subject in bold simply because I thought snaking was a load of bull.

Top Bottom