• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A character's mechanic...

Swevester

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swevester
With every new Smash character, it is becoming increasingly obvious that mechanics are playing a bigger role in Smash.
:4cloud: and his Limit,
:4bayonetta: and her Bat Within/Bullet Arts,
:4ryu: and his Inputs...

Some veteran characters still have helpful or even game-changing mechanics, like :4link:'s Hylian Shield and :4bowser:'s Tough Guy armor, or :4lucario:'s Aura and :4yoshi:'s Double Jump Armor. But some characters are still a little...stuck. I understand wanting to make a new character more exciting to introduce to the series, but giving a veteran a new mechanic can be just as exciting.

If you could give a character their own mechanic, what would it be? How would it work? What would it effect?

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
Notice the three characters you listed are all DLC. Nintendo needs to rely on either unique characters (the ones you mentioned) or fan favorites (Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy) to make DLC sell.

Arthur97

Smash Master
It's not just DLC. Palutena has custom moves, Rosalina has Luma, the Robins have limited specials, Shulk has Monado Arts.

Swevester

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swevester
No no I'm aware there are more than those that are listed, I meant what mechanics would you want to give to a character without one? Or maybe buff/nerf/alter a mechanic that you don't think is adjusted correctly.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Yeah I was just responding to the other person. As far as new mechanics, most veterans are fine without them. If they don't have them now, they probably won't get them.

MagnumMuskox

Smash Cadet
Well, Mario was given F.L.U.D.D. in Brawl, so it's possible for there to be changes to core characters in the future, but it probably wouldn't be well received. And super difficult to implement without it being over-powered.

That being said, I think it'd be fun to have a character with some type method of "swapping bodies" with their opponent. The % and stock would remain the same, however, their bodies would switch. And there would be a cool-down period so that it couldn't happen again too quickly. They would probably need an insane recovery move so that people couldn't near-SD then swap. Or it would only be possible on the ground. No idea who it could be given to, though.

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
Well, Mario was given F.L.U.D.D. in Brawl, so it's possible for there to be changes to core characters in the future, but it probably wouldn't be well received. And super difficult to implement without it being over-powered.

That being said, I think it'd be fun to have a character with some type method of "swapping bodies" with their opponent. The % and stock would remain the same, however, their bodies would switch. And there would be a cool-down period so that it couldn't happen again too quickly. They would probably need an insane recovery move so that people couldn't near-SD then swap. Or it would only be possible on the ground. No idea who it could be given to, though.
Doopliss from Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door could do something similar. One question, though, how would it work with more than 2 players? Also, what about dittos?

Swevester

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swevester
I have an idea for Link's Hylian Shield mechanic that I don't think would be too broken, but it made me think that maybe some other characters could do with something new to add to their playstyle. A good chunk of the veterans get completely left in the dust when these new characters come out that have insanely good mechanics, so it just made me think some vets could do with some updating. I don't anticipate this to be a thing implemented in Sm4sh, but over the change of a hypothetical brand new game.

MagnumMuskox

Smash Cadet
Doopliss from Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door could do something similar. One question, though, how would it work with more than 2 players? Also, what about dittos?
Closest opponent. Since you'd also switch physical locations, it would serve as a positioning tool in dittos.

Swevester

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swevester
Closest opponent. Since you'd also switch physical locations, it would serve as a positioning tool in dittos.
Would there be a downside to this somehow? Like how Lucario's Aura is only good when he's near dead, Bowser Jr.'s Clown Kart only protects half of him, etc.

MagnumMuskox

Smash Cadet
Perhaps similar to Wii Fit Trainer's heal. It takes accuracy and a couple seconds to perform?

Swevester

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swevester
I think it'd be cool to see one of the Fire Emblem characters also get some kind of mechanic based on an ability of some sort. I've never played Fire Emblem in depth enough to tell you who should get what, and I know a few (like Ike's Aether) are already moves, but it could certainly add to their character design. Another idea I had was to be able to combine Kirby's specials to create combination specials, similar to combining copy abilities in Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards. Simply input two of his specials really quickly (that is not Neutral Special) and they will turn into something else.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
Don't forgot :4wario2:'s waft & :4rob:'s laser that charge over time. Plus :4shulk:'s Monado Arts & Back Slash. (Including :4mewtwo:'s Disable)
Not mention :4pacman:'s unblockable Pac-Jump & Hydrant water.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Don't forgot :4wario2:'s waft & :4rob:'s laser that charge over time. Plus :4shulk:'s Monado Arts & Back Slash. (Including :4mewtwo:'s Disable)
Not mention :4pacman:'s unblockable Pac-Jump & Hydrant water.
Not sure those count as mechanics, save for Shulk. Most of them are just moves with special attributes. Might as well list Mario's cape since it flips.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Something that affects more than it's own move. More often than not defining their playstyle.

Shulk's arts are his defining feature and change his whole playstyle.

Mewtwo's disable, not so much.

LInk's shield is not defining, but also not a move and is unique to him and his clones so it still qualifies.

In other words, more than just a singular, contained move.

Last edited:

Ulk

Smash Cadet
If I remember correctly, Sakurai wanted every single SSB4 newcomer to have his own unique mechanic, and I'm pretty sure that is also the case. I can't think of one that doesn't have any unique mechanic about them.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
If I remember correctly, Sakurai wanted every single SSB4 newcomer to have his own unique mechanic, and I'm pretty sure that is also the case. I can't think of one that doesn't have any unique mechanic about them.
Duck Hunt is relatively mechanic free. As is Greninja and Pac-Man. One might could argue for Mega Man as well.

Ulk

Smash Cadet
Duck Hunt is relatively mechanic free. As is Greninja and Pac-Man. One might could argue for Mega Man as well.
I'd have to disagree. Projectiles that you can control during combat, a stand-by effect like with Greninja's side B, the ability to force free-falls and projectiles as smash attacks / auto-projectile-protection during combat are all unique features.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I'd have to disagree. Projectiles that you can control during combat, a stand-by effect like with Greninja's side B, the ability to force free-falls and projectiles as smash attacks / auto-projectile-protection during combat are all unique features.
Unique, yes, but not a mechanic. Moves are not mechanics, they are singular moves that don't affect the rest of the character or vice versa. Like I said before, that would make Mario's cape a mechanic, or Oil Panic.

Swevester

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swevester
Mechanics are more of something that make a character stand out a bit. They're things that no one else can duplicate by any means. I will try to list all of the characters with mechanics:

:4bayonetta:- Bullet Arts/Bat Within
:4bowser:- Tough Guy
:4bowserjr:- Clown Kart
:4cloud:- Limits
:4littlemac:- Power Meter
:4link::4tlink:- Hylian/Hero's Shield
:4lucario:- Aura
:4marth::4feroy:- Tipper
:4olimar:- Pikmin
:4peach:- Gliding
:4robinm:- Expiring Levin Sword/Tomes
:rosalina:- Luma
:4ryu:- Inputs
:4yoshi:- Double Jump Armor

This is in total:
2 64 Veterans
4 Melee Veterans
2 Brawl Veterans
6 4 Newcomers

Anything else (move-wise) is mostly just a unique feature in a Special attack.

Last edited:

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
Mechanics are more of something that make a character stand out a bit. They're things that no one else can duplicate by any means. I will try to list all of the characters with mechanics:

:4bayonetta:- Bullet Arts/Bat Within
:4bowser:- Tough Guy
:4bowserjr:- Clown Kart
:4cloud:- Limits
:4littlemac:- Power Meter
:4link::4tlink:- Hylian/Hero's Shield
:4lucario:- Aura
:4marth::4feroy:- Tipper
:4peach:- Gliding
:4robinm:- Expiring Levin Sword/Tomes
:rosalina:- Luma
:4ryu:- Inputs
:4yoshi:- Double Jump Armor

This is in total:
2 64 Veterans
4 Melee Veterans
2 Brawl Veterans
6 4 Newcomers

Anything else (move-wise) is mostly just a unique feature in a Special attack.
What about :4shulk:'s Monado arts or :4olimar:'s Pikmin?

MagnumMuskox

Smash Cadet
:4villager:'s 3-step down special. Does anyone else have a special that changes entirely based on whether or not that same special was used earlier?

Swevester

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swevester
What about :4shulk:'s Monado arts or :4olimar:'s Pikmin?
Shulk's Monado Arts is a unique attribute to a special, but it's still only a special. Olimar's Pikmin CAN count because of what each Pikmin does (like how red is immune to fire, yellow is immune to electric, etc.) but as attacks themselves, no. Because they only attack in any other way a character would attack (smashes, aerials, specials). I'll edit the aforementioned post, though.
:4villager:'s 3-step down special. Does anyone else have a special that changes entirely based on whether or not that same special was used earlier?
Cloud's Down Special turns into Finishing Touch when his Limit is charged, Peach's Veggie has an RGN with faces and items, Shulk's Vision decays when it is spammed, WFT's Deep Breathing gradually takes longer to use if it is spammed...Villager's Timber has a lot of creativity and use in it, but it is still only really a special in the end. The waterbox isn't unique, the tree is still just a projectile (albeit a strong one).

Edit: How did I not think of this before? The Pokemon (without mechanics already...:4lucario:) could use their abilities from the games somehow!

:4charizard:- Blaze: All attacks that do Fire damage will have slightly increased damage output above 100%.
:4greninja:- Torrent: Same as above, but with Water attacks.
:4mewtwo:- Can have Pressure or Unnerve. Pressure causes an attack to stale faster (which is kind of a double-edged sword because moves freshen faster as well) or Unnerve could make Mewtwo take less damage from thrown items, like Veggie or Bombs (in Pokemon they stop held items altogether but that's too much). I wonder which one sounds better?
:4pikachu:- Lightning Rod: Essentially, Electric attacks don't do as much damage (I thought about making it do what it does in Pokemon, where Pikachu would absorb electric attacks to become stronger, but...he's already really good so :dizzy:).
:4jigglypuff:- Friend Guard. If Team Attack is on, Puff will do half as much damage and knockback to any of her teammates (at least she'd be good in doubles).

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I think Samus should have an extra jump, but I suppose that wouldn't make her unique or anything, since other characters can do that already. Since Samus has the space jump in most Metroid games, I still don't see why she wasn't given three jumps at least and then her Up+B. Here's what I think could make her stand out or have a unique mechanic.

• If Samus' Charge Shot is fully charged, she should be able to drop five bombs like she can in Super Metroid/Metroid: Other M.
  • If Samus' Charge Shot is fully charged, her jumps should act like they do in Super Metroid where bumping into her would hurt her opponent. Of course, the Charge Shot would be gone.
  • Samus' Bomb should be able to charge to create a larger explosion. Because of balancing, it would not be as destructive as it is in Metroid: Other M. Get rid of the custom and allow Bomb to be charged.
  • Samus should be able to aim her Charge Shot like R.O.B.
  • Samus should be able to rotate in a specific order (Power, Wave, Ice, Plasma) her Charge Shot like how Olimar can select his Pikmin. Power would just be her Charge Shot. Wave would move in a wavy pattern and be able to pass through stages. It would cause extra damage. Maybe 28%, since the Charge Shot does 26% anyway. Ice should allow Samus to freeze her opponent, but it wouldn't be the fastest beam. Plasma should cause the opponent to take extra damage as long as the flames are there. Base damage when charged should be 30%, but lacks a significant knock back. 1% damage per flames.

I'm not saying Samus should have all of these. I'm only saying one of them should be something Samus has to stand out.

Swevester

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swevester
I think Samus should have an extra jump, but I suppose that wouldn't make her unique or anything, since other characters can do that already. Since Samus has the space jump in most Metroid games, I still don't see why she wasn't given three jumps at least and then her Up+B. Here's what I think could make her stand out or have a unique mechanic.

• If Samus' Charge Shot is fully charged, she should be able to drop five bombs like she can in Super Metroid/Metroid: Other M.
  • If Samus' Charge Shot is fully charged, her jumps should act like they do in Super Metroid where bumping into her would hurt her opponent. Of course, the Charge Shot would be gone.
  • Samus' Bomb should be able to charge to create a larger explosion. Because of balancing, it would not be as destructive as it is in Metroid: Other M. Get rid of the custom and allow Bomb to be charged.
  • Samus should be able to aim her Charge Shot like R.O.B.
  • Samus should be able to rotate in a specific order (Power, Wave, Ice, Plasma) her Charge Shot like how Olimar can select his Pikmin. Power would just be her Charge Shot. Wave would move in a wavy pattern and be able to pass through stages. It would cause extra damage. Maybe 28%, since the Charge Shot does 26% anyway. Ice should allow Samus to freeze her opponent, but it wouldn't be the fastest beam. Plasma should cause the opponent to take extra damage as long as the flames are there. Base damage when charged should be 30%, but lacks a significant knock back. 1% damage per flames.

I'm not saying Samus should have all of these. I'm only saying one of them should be something Samus has to stand out.
Good, a Samus main. I've never played a Metroid game so I was afraid I might have to do some research at some point to answer for all characters, or the ones that have mechanic potential anyways.

The things that stand out to me the most that don't seem too bad are the chargeable Bomb and the ability to bump into foes and blast her Charge Shot (although not sure if that would work in her favor or not since it means she couldn't completely keep it for pressure if there were a way to get rid of it without her shooting it).

Arthur97

Smash Master
If you did the somersault charge attack, it would definitely need to do much less damage than the actual shot. Space Jump should have been a custom move really. Make it timing based like in the games. I think plasma and ice beams would have made good customs as well.

Ulk

Smash Cadet
Unique, yes, but not a mechanic. Moves are not mechanics, they are singular moves that don't affect the rest of the character or vice versa. Like I said before, that would make Mario's cape a mechanic, or Oil Panic.
I wouldn't know of mechanics being required to stick to more than one move or affect anything else. Mechanics come in different forms and quantities. Some like Limit Break are extreme, others like gliding or shielding are minimal. The projectile shooter mechanic of DH, invisible inputs, forcing free falls in offense and projectile smash attacks are no less.

Arthur97

Smash Master
The projectile shooter mechanic of DH, invisible inputs, forcing free falls in offense and projectile smash attacks are no less.
The OP has ruled those out as mechanics. Let it go!

Bob

Banned via Warnings
With every new Smash character, it is becoming increasingly obvious that mechanics are playing a bigger role in Smash.
:4cloud: and his Limit,
:4bayonetta: and her Bat Within/Bullet Arts,
:4ryu: and his Inputs...

Some veteran characters still have helpful or even game-changing mechanics, like :4link:'s Hylian Shield and :4bowser:'s Tough Guy armor, or :4lucario:'s Aura and :4yoshi:'s Double Jump Armor. But some characters are still a little...stuck. I understand wanting to make a new character more exciting to introduce to the series, but giving a veteran a new mechanic can be just as exciting.

If you could give a character their own mechanic, what would it be? How would it work? What would it effect?
Heh-heh, I believe those would be called "gimmicks". That's Sakurai's way of trying to keep the game "unique".

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
Cloud's Down Special turns into Finishing Touch when his Limit is charged, Peach's Veggie has an RGN with faces and items, Shulk's Vision decays when it is spammed, WFT's Deep Breathing gradually takes longer to use if it is spammed...Villager's Timber has a lot of creativity and use in it, but it is still only really a special in the end. The waterbox isn't unique, the tree is still just a projectile (albeit a strong one).
Also Duck Hunt's Neutral-B varies based on whether it (or his Side-B) are out.

Top Bottom