• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Breakdown of Corrin's Moveset

Ever since Corrin was announced in the last Smash Broadcast, his inclusion has been met with some controversy. Despite this controversy, one fact remains -- Corrin looks like a very unique addition to the Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/ 3DS roster. Masahiro Sakurai, the director of Smash, has even stated this was the reason the dragon, chainsaw swordsman was chosen in his bi-weekly Famitsu Column.

@Delzethin has decided to break down Corrin's unique moveset to show the full potential of the Omega-Yato and what the blood of a dragon allows Corrin to do.

Excited? Let us know in the comments!

PushDustIn wishes he had the blood of a dragon in him. Well...sometimes. You can follow him on Twitter.

Last edited:
PushDustin

Comments

I didn't say that Ike was unpopular. I said that he isn't all that different in type from Marth or Roy. He's another sword wielding knight. That's not unique or special such that it would generate an especial interest in Path of Radiance. Corrin, by contrast, is a half-dragon wielding a chainsaw blade.

Furthermore, Path of Radiance came out in 2005, while Brawl came out in 2008. Radiant Dawn came out in 2007. It's not as though Ike's inclusion in Brawl was going to generate a bunch of sales of new copies of those games. They had already been out for awhile, so it doesn't make much sense to say that Brawl did much advertising for those games. The vast majority of games are going to sell their best within the first few weeks or months. That pretty much makes Brawl a non-factor when considering the sales of those games.

Corrin and Fates are both coming out in February. So, yeah, Corrin as a DLC character will probably generate a lot of interest in the game that previously did not exist.
RD and SD came out just before and after Brawl and they both tanked. Remember all the pre-release hype Brawl had? IIRC Ike was announced before RD came out and yet it didn't generate much interest. People don't want to play an obtuse tactical RPG, they want to play Smash. Most of the more casual fans just stick to liking the character in Smash.

Popularity = popularity. There was interest in Ike and Marth, and honestly it's a lot more then what Corrin's got. Being half dragon and the chainsaw blade are fluff and isn't special, and doesn't really generate any more interest.

Then that means that his side b is like EVERY GRAB IN THE GAME. are corrin's side b and grab the same thing? no. grabs dont hold ppl for that long, and vary length with percentage. Corrin's side b doesnt. Also, you can't jump or cancel out of grabbing someone! If corrin's side b is close to anything at all, it's close to Ryu's down b, not a grab.

It doesnt have knockback. Im talking about when Corrin cancels his side b. That just puts them in tumble and immediately sends them on the ground no matter what they do. Does it sound like you can DI that? NO. Also, it looks like the exact same animation as Ryu's down b

Marth and lucina's side b (and roy) dont do anything with recovery. If anything, it makes their recovery worse. They dont bounce when they use it, so it doesnt help vertically, and it cancels momentum, making horizontal even worse!

All of their side b's connect well, do some quick damage, and can even kill. The example doesnt apply at all
Corrin's side B has more range then most grabs, but compared to tethers it's basically the same. Comboing out of a grab ain't special, and the neutral drop is probably just the fastest option for if you whiff considering that Corrin goes into this "took an arrow to the knee" pose whenever you land with a ridiculously laggy aerial or special. And that's assuming it can't be teched, since it's quite clearly not the same animation as when hit by Ryu's Focus Attack.

You can hold characters as long as Corrin did in the trailer with the right conditions. Most likely it was an extreme case for demonstration.

Roy's side B doesn't help recovery. Marth and Lucina's certainly do, and like I said before that's about all they're good for. Get your facts straight.

RD and SD came out just before and after Brawl and they both tanked. Remember all the pre-release hype Brawl had? IIRC Ike was announced before RD came out and yet it didn't generate much interest. People don't want to play an obtuse tactical RPG, they want to play Smash. Most of the more casual fans just stick to liking the character in Smash.

Popularity = popularity. There was interest in Ike and Marth, and honestly it's a lot more then what Corrin's got. Being half dragon and the chainsaw blade are fluff and isn't special, and doesn't really generate any more interest.
Um, I really don't see how any hype related to Ike would have had an effect on RD. There is no way that Brawl could have retroactively influenced the sales of RD because Nintendo had pretty much stopped publishing new copies of the game by that point. All the same, let's consider this.

The prices on Amazon for a copy of PoR range close to $100, and for RD, $60. That's just for the game, and those prices exceed the original new sticker prices.

So, basically, these games now sell for more than when they originally came out. Also, Shadow Dragon was a remake, and it sold quite well for a remake.

I'm not totally sure what your argument is.

Um, I really don't see how any hype related to Ike would have had an effect on RD. There is no way that Brawl could have retroactively influenced the sales of RD because Nintendo had pretty much stopped publishing new copies of the game by that point. All the same, let's consider this.

The prices on Amazon for a copy of PoR range close to $100, and for RD, $60. That's just for the game, and those prices exceed the original new sticker prices.

So, basically, these games now sell for more than when they originally came out. Also, Shadow Dragon was a remake, and it sold quite well for a remake.

I'm not totally sure what your argument is.
Brawl created interest in Ike before RD came out and it still did poor. SD did poorly enough to where they wouldn't localize the sequel. Both contributed to the decision to make Awakening FE's last chance.

Corrin's side B has more range then most grabs, but compared to tethers it's basically the same. Comboing out of a grab ain't special, and the neutral drop is probably just the fastest option for if you whiff considering that Corrin goes into this "took an arrow to the knee" pose whenever you land with a ridiculously laggy aerial or special. And that's assuming it can't be teched, since it's quite clearly not the same animation as when hit by Ryu's Focus Attack.

You can hold characters as long as Corrin did in the trailer with the right conditions. Most likely it was an extreme case for demonstration.

Roy's side B doesn't help recovery. Marth and Lucina's certainly do, and like I said before that's about all they're good for. Get your facts straight.
No. Sorry, but you're just wrong. You're just repeating what you just said, and I already argued and disproved you. Also, we really have no idea if he has a "ridiculously laggy aerial", but his side b can clearly combo.

Also, if things can combo, that doesnt automatically mean that they are just a weird grab. IT IS UNIQUE, and you're the only one who thinks otherwise.

I MAIN ROY AND MARTH IN SM4SH. The side b hurts their recovery in every way. The only thing its good for is damage and killing. I have my facts straight, and you're just looking for random examples that dont even apply

No. Sorry, but you're just wrong. You're just repeating what you just said, and I already argued and disproved you. Also, we really have no idea if he has a "ridiculously laggy aerial", but his side b can clearly combo.

Also, if things can combo, that doesnt automatically mean that they are just a weird grab. IT IS UNIQUE, and you're the only one who thinks otherwise.

I MAIN ROY AND MARTH IN SM4SH. The side b hurts their recovery in every way. The only thing its good for is damage and killing. I have my facts straight, and you're just looking for random examples that dont even apply
No it ain't. At no point does it show us a proper follow-up, and we've come to this conclusion in the Corrin analysis thread.

Not the only one who thinks otherwise. Besides being mapped to "> B" instead of "Z" doesn't make it unique and you've literally done nothing to describe the supposed significant differences.

The most trusted Marth main on the forums says otherwise. There's literally no arguing this since it's been fact since release. It's a major problem of Marth's that everybody knows.

No it ain't. At no point does it show us a proper follow-up, and we've come to this conclusion in the Corrin analysis thread.

Not the only one who thinks otherwise. Besides being mapped to "> B" instead of "Z" doesn't make it unique and you've literally done nothing to describe the supposed significant differences.

The most trusted Marth main on the forums says otherwise. There's literally no arguing this since it's been fact since release. It's a major problem of Marth's that everybody knows.
It shows a "proper follow up" in literally every time it shows the move at all. If he jumps out of it, he can probably hit them with a down air. If he cancels, he can down tilt or maybe even jab reset. Plus you can obviously finish the combo with a forward or back kick.

The differences are that it looks different, it combos differently, it traps people differently, it has a different name, you use it in different scenarios, and the fact that IT IS NOT A GRAB. Not every combo tool is a grab ripoff, you know.

You're the one who's done nothing. You just say that it traps people and combos. That applies to a lot of different moves. Technically, that applies to every single combo tool in the game.

Its been a fact since release that his side b doesnt do anything in smash 4. All marth matches and montages and recovery tests show that his side b makes his recovery worse. Why do you see absolutely NO MARTH PLAYERS use it in matches? Because it does absolutely nothing at all for recovery. All it does is inflict damage and sometimes kill. That's it

It shows a "proper follow up" in literally every time it shows the move at all. If he jumps out of it, he can probably hit them with a down air. If he cancels, he can down tilt or maybe even jab reset. Plus you can obviously finish the combo with a forward or back kick.

The differences are that it looks different, it combos differently, it traps people differently, it has a different name, you use it in different scenarios, and the fact that IT IS NOT A GRAB. Not every combo tool is a grab ripoff, you know.

You're the one who's done nothing. You just say that it traps people and combos. That applies to a lot of different moves. Technically, that applies to every single combo tool in the game.

Its been a fact since release that his side b doesnt do anything in smash 4. All marth matches and montages and recovery tests show that his side b makes his recovery worse. Why do you see absolutely NO MARTH PLAYERS use it in matches? Because it does absolutely nothing at all for recovery. All it does is inflict damage and sometimes kill. That's it
Those aren't follow-ups, those are just the actions you can perform directly out of it. I've yet to see an actual combo from it.

Looks and a name are significant differences? Lmao. It's a tether rip-off, not a grab rip-off.

Every single combo tool doesn't hold people in place or work at such a range. Tethers do though.

Absolutely no Marth player would use the move on the ground because it fails to even register as a combo in training mode, and can be punished on hit as a result. I only ever see it used in the air.

Even his gimmick with Bair helping recovery was taken off another character...

So in your eyes the original 64 excluding luigi are the only unique characters. Everyone else is a clone/ripoff.

My condolences to you.

So in your eyes the original 64 excluding luigi are the only unique characters. Everyone else is a clone/ripoff.

My condolences to you.
Even Luigi's more unique then Corrin. Luigi's the Zaingeif, the advancing wall of doom. Corrin's Zelda with a sword.

Even Luigi's more unique then Corrin. Luigi's the Zaingeif, the advancing wall of doom. Corrin's Zelda with a sword.
Idk where u get zelda, but corrin looks more like a falcon/roy/palutena/ike/megaman/robin/lucina/rob/toonlink/zss/diddy clone to me :^)

Last edited:
Idk where u get zelda, but corrin looks more like a falcon/roy/palutena/ike/megaman/robin/lucina/rob/toonlink/zss/diddy clone to me :^)
Corrin's loaded with these painfully slow but powerful moves that only work in FFAs, like Zelda. Zelda's balanced by not being able to defend herself, and I suspect Corrin will be the same in that regard.

Those aren't follow-ups, those are just the actions you can perform directly out of it. I've yet to see an actual combo from it.

Looks and a name are significant differences? Lmao. It's a tether rip-off, not a grab rip-off.

Every single combo tool doesn't hold people in place or work at such a range. Tethers do though.

Absolutely no Marth player would use the move on the ground because it fails to even register as a combo in training mode, and can be punished on hit as a result. I only ever see it used in the air.

Even his gimmick with Bair helping recovery was taken off another character...

If he cancels it, he can obviously down tilt or maybe even jab reset. If he jumps, he can probably do a down air. There you go. Have you watched Etika's analysis yet? He carefully goes through every single move.

So ZSS's Neutral b is a tether ripoff? Ryu's down b is one too? Just because it has range and combos doesn't mean its a tether ripoff. That literally applies to any comboing projectile.

IT KILLS AND IT DOES DAMAGE AND YOU CANNOT ESCAPE IT, unless the marth player really screws up. HIS SIDE B LITERALLY JUST MAKES HIS RECOVERY WORSE. The only "bounce" you think happens is when he uses it right after he jumps, and that just freezes him in mid air. BECAUSE IT CANCELS HIS HEIGHT MOMENTUM! BECAUSE IT MAKES HIS RECOVERY WORSE!

Yes. One other character. You can't say that Corrin isn't special becuase he sort of shares 2 moves with 2 other characters. That's like saying Peach is a clone of Link because they have a similar down b. Plus, Corrin's bair has less startup and maybe less power than Rob's, and less momentum. They have a similar bair, but not the same. What other swordsman has a bair like that? Also, his counter, which is THE ONLY MOVE he has that is similar to ANY OTHER MOVE, has lots of range in both directions, and sends people a completely different way.

Honestly, I just can't understand how you think Corrin isn't unique.

Also, you keep saying how Corrin has "ridiculously laggy moves," when he doesn't. All aerials shown have very little landing lag, the most laggy aerial he has is his dair, and that just looks like it has less lag than toon link's down air.

What other character completely transforms parts of their body with all of their moves?

If he cancels it, he can obviously down tilt or maybe even jab reset. If he jumps, he can probably do a down air. There you go. Have you watched Etika's analysis yet? He carefully goes through every single move.

So ZSS's Neutral b is a tether ripoff? Ryu's down b is one too? Just because it has range and combos doesn't mean its a tether ripoff. That literally applies to any comboing projectile.

IT KILLS AND IT DOES DAMAGE AND YOU CANNOT ESCAPE IT, unless the marth player really screws up. HIS SIDE B LITERALLY JUST MAKES HIS RECOVERY WORSE. The only "bounce" you think happens is when he uses it right after he jumps, and that just freezes him in mid air. BECAUSE IT CANCELS HIS HEIGHT MOMENTUM! BECAUSE IT MAKES HIS RECOVERY WORSE!

Yes. One other character. You can't say that Corrin isn't special becuase he sort of shares 2 moves with 2 other characters. That's like saying Peach is a clone of Link because they have a similar down b. Plus, Corrin's bair has less startup and maybe less power than Rob's, and less momentum. They have a similar bair, but not the same. What other swordsman has a bair like that? Also, his counter, which is THE ONLY MOVE he has that is similar to ANY OTHER MOVE, has lots of range in both directions, and sends people a completely different way.

Honestly, I just can't understand how you think Corrin isn't unique.

Also, you keep saying how Corrin has "ridiculously laggy moves," when he doesn't. All aerials shown have very little landing lag, the most laggy aerial he has is his dair, and that just looks like it has less lag than toon link's down air.

What other character completely transforms parts of their body with all of their moves?
He can "obviously" follow-up? Didn't in the trailer. You still don't know if it can be teched either.

You be stretchin'. Drangon Lunge is Corrin literally holding the opponent in place and then pressing a direction to hurl them. ZSS and Ryu just stun the enemy.

Yes, it cancels his vertical momentum. That's the point... It slows his fall. Also the training CPU when set to stand falls out of the move and the combo counter resets. It literally doesn't combo according to the game.

Never said Corrin was a clone. I said he's not unique, he's flat, he's boring. Every move of his is functionally similar to other characters' moves. Transforming body parts is a visual and nobody cares.

If he was slow he'd fit the archetype his other moves have lain out for him, if he was fast he'd be nerfed to be in line for FFAs. At best they look like they're on Marth level... Certainly not Cloud or Pit level.

He can "obviously" follow-up? Didn't in the trailer. You still don't know if it can be teched either.

You be stretchin'. Drangon Lunge is Corrin literally holding the opponent in place and then pressing a direction to hurl them. ZSS and Ryu just stun the enemy.

Yes, it cancels his vertical momentum. That's the point... It slows his fall. Also the training CPU when set to stand falls out of the move and the combo counter resets. It literally doesn't combo according to the game.

Never said Corrin was a clone. I said he's not unique, he's flat, he's boring. Every move of his is functionally similar to other characters' moves. Transforming body parts is a visual and nobody cares.

If he was slow he'd fit the archetype his other moves have lain out for him, if he was fast he'd be nerfed to be in line for FFAs. At best they look like they're on Marth level... Certainly not Cloud or Pit level.
Just because something wasnt shown in the trailer doesnt mean its impossible. Little mac's trailer didnt show any down tilt combos, but it still does. Roy's trailer didnt show any down throw combos, but it can combo into jab, side b, up b, and up tilt.

By the way, corrin's neutral b is literally ZSS's, but can follow up. Making it similar, but NOT THE SAME.

Or he can cancel it...or jump! Making it different from any other move! WHAT KIND OF "TETHER" CAN BE USED AS A GRAB IN MIDAIR? NONE. But corrin's side b can! Because it isnt a tether! ZSS's neutral air and Ryu's down air can be used in the air! Because they arent tethers! Plus, what kind of grab bounces you upward when you use it on the ground? None! But Corrin's side b does! Cuz it isnt a tether. Also, a grab ignores shields, while corrin's side b, ZSS's neutral b, and ryu's uncharged down b dont.

Marth's side b cancels all horizontal momentum, making it harder to get back onto the stage, and his horizontal recovery already isnt that great. It does not cancel downward vertical movement. Only upward. Making his recovery worse in every way when you use it. Also, tons of combos dont register as training mode combos. Like sheik's fair combos and the little mac down tilts, and many, many, more.

Transforming isnt only a visual thing! It changes his moves to not be like a typical swordsman! It changes his hitboxes, and changes his offensive/defensive/neutral games.

Not all of his moves are ripped off. You're saying that he is a flat and boring sword character, when the only typical sword char moves are down b, Uair, Fair, and maybe the tilts. His neutral b, side b, up b, all smash attacks, Bair, Dair, and Nair. His completely unique moves are neutral b, side b, all smash attacks, Dair, and Nair. With 57 other chars in the game, every single char has similar moves to others. Even his counter, which TONS of chars have, is completely different, it hits both ways, and sends ppl upwards!

Corrin clearly is not slow, and yes, it shows his run speed multiple times. Not all fast characters get nerfed, like shiek, captain falcon, and roy, and little mac, and so on. Also, cloud IS around marth's level. You clearly dont understand what is going on with marth in this game

Last edited:
Corrin's loaded with these painfully slow but powerful moves that only work in FFAs, like Zelda. Zelda's balanced by not being able to defend herself, and I suspect Corrin will be the same in that regard.
There are literally no "painfully slow" moves he has. I have no idea where you get zelda from, as none of his moves are like zelda's. Corrin can defend himself, as he has a quick projectile, zoning moves like is Fair, Nair, and definitely side b.

What kind of moves do you thing he has that are laggy? The laggiest i saw were smashes, and even they are quick, and down b, which is a pretty fast move, especially startup. That counter comes out in like 2 frames

Just because something wasnt shown in the trailer doesnt mean its impossible. Little mac's trailer didnt show any down tilt combos, but it still does. Roy's trailer didnt show any down throw combos, but it can combo into jab, side b, up b, and up tilt.

By the way, corrin's neutral b is literally ZSS's, but can follow up. Making it similar, but NOT THE SAME.

Or he can cancel it...or jump! Making it different from any other move! WHAT KIND OF "TETHER" CAN BE USED AS A GRAB IN MIDAIR? NONE. But corrin's side b can! Because it isnt a tether! ZSS's neutral air and Ryu's down air can be used in the air! Because they arent tethers! Plus, what kind of grab bounces you upward when you use it on the ground? None! But Corrin's side b does! Cuz it isnt a tether. Also, a grab ignores shields, while corrin's side b, ZSS's neutral b, and ryu's uncharged down b dont.

Marth's side b cancels all horizontal momentum, making it harder to get back onto the stage, and his horizontal recovery already isnt that great. It does not cancel downward vertical movement. Only upward. Making his recovery worse in every way when you use it. Also, tons of combos dont register as training mode combos. Like sheik's fair combos and the little mac down tilts, and many, many, more.

Transforming isnt only a visual thing! It changes his moves to not be like a typical swordsman! It changes his hitboxes, and changes his offensive/defensive/neutral games.

Not all of his moves are ripped off. You're saying that he is a flat and boring sword character, when the only typical sword char moves are down b, Uair, Fair, and maybe the tilts. His neutral b, side b, up b, all smash attacks, Bair, Dair, and Nair. His completely unique moves are neutral b, side b, all smash attacks, Dair, and Nair. With 57 other chars in the game, every single char has similar moves to others. Even his counter, which TONS of chars have, is completely different, it hits both ways, and sends ppl upwards!

Corrin clearly is not slow, and yes, it shows his run speed multiple times. Not all fast characters get nerfed, like shiek, captain falcon, and roy, and little mac, and so on. Also, cloud IS around marth's level. You clearly dont understand what is going on with marth in this game
Just because something wasn't shown in a trailer doesn't mean it's obviously there either. We currently have no reason to believe you can, assuming otherwise is foolish.

You have a lengthy bite animation to sit through, and DIing downwards cuts the stun time down by a third. In all likelyhood it's going to be useless against decent players. Also, so much for unique...

No, but from what Sakurai said it sounds like you need ground to actually hold somebody. Being able to start it in the air is a rather minor detail, and losing to shield would tank the move's usefulness.

Mac's Dtilt combos register. Not sure about Sheik's but if it's you trying them there's a good chance you're not being fast enough. The combo counter is skewed in a way that it makes things that are almost combos look like the real thing, and yet Dancing Blade doesn't even register on that. Really, do you think the best Marths in the world are wrong about this?

No, it does.

Nope, just a visual on certain attacks. Shulk has similar hitboxes without transforming, and the only reason they're not the same is just because they didn't want them to be. Literally nothing that couldn't of been done already.

Marth's a low tier, Cloud's a potential top tier. The whole Marth social's in a fit because there's no reason to use Marth when Cloud's literally ten times as rewarding to play.

Corrin isn't going to have it all. At no point they they give us a reason to think his overall movement speed was going to be better then below average.

Zelda has projectiles and zoning moves too, doesn't mean she can defend herself. You're the only Corrin supporter that thinks Dragon's Breath looks fast, let alone as good as ZSS's Nspecial... Most of them are being cautiously optimistic due to FE/sword character's track records in this game and my comparisons to Zelda.

A frame two counter? lolno, that's never happening. Instead of telling me what it's "like" how about you tell me what it is in reality, and also factor in that the video's playing at half the FPS of actual gameplay.

Also double posting is against the ToS, use the edit button.

Eh people... You'd just wait to the actual's character's release... After that we'll know if (s)he is unique or isn't.

Just because something wasn't shown in a trailer doesn't mean it's obviously there either. We currently have no reason to believe you can, assuming otherwise is foolish.

You have a lengthy bite animation to sit through, and DIing downwards cuts the stun time down by a third. In all likelyhood it's going to be useless against decent players. Also, so much for unique...

No, but from what Sakurai said it sounds like you need ground to actually hold somebody. Being able to start it in the air is a rather minor detail, and losing to shield would tank the move's usefulness.

Mac's Dtilt combos register. Not sure about Sheik's but if it's you trying them there's a good chance you're not being fast enough. The combo counter is skewed in a way that it makes things that are almost combos look like the real thing, and yet Dancing Blade doesn't even register on that. Really, do you think the best Marths in the world are wrong about this?

No, it does.

Nope, just a visual on certain attacks. Shulk has similar hitboxes without transforming, and the only reason they're not the same is just because they didn't want them to be. Literally nothing that couldn't of been done already.

Marth's a low tier, Cloud's a potential top tier. The whole Marth social's in a fit because there's no reason to use Marth when Cloud's literally ten times as rewarding to play.

Corrin isn't going to have it all. At no point they they give us a reason to think his overall movement speed was going to be better then below average.

Zelda has projectiles and zoning moves too, doesn't mean she can defend herself. You're the only Corrin supporter that thinks Dragon's Breath looks fast, let alone as good as ZSS's Nspecial... Most of them are being cautiously optimistic due to FE/sword character's track records in this game and my comparisons to Zelda.

A frame two counter? lolno, that's never happening. Instead of telling me what it's "like" how about you tell me what it is in reality, and also factor in that the video's playing at half the FPS of actual gameplay.

Also double posting is against the ToS, use the edit button.
It's foolish to assume that chars are awful when you don't know enough, and you can't assume that he has no combos when they clearly show Utilt and Dtilt combos.

You do not need to sit through the bite animation. How did you not notice that? It says, IF you hold b, you can follow up. Also, if its similar to ZSS's, how is it going to be useless? ZSS's certainly isn't, so corrin's won't.

Top marth players use it to do damage and kill. It combos, and top players use it. That's been a fact since release that it is a combo...it's been a more trustworthy combo in this game than other smash games...

Maybe you should use Marth in training and see for yourself, and not just rely on outdated knowledge. Even if it slightly slows his fall, that's no more useful than his counter. If it was like mario's side b, like you say, it still would worsen his recovery, because it straight up cancels horizontal movement. Also, why are we debating about marth and not corrin...

I mean, you're just restating yourself. The dragon thing interests many top players, as it makes him different from an average swordsman.

Plus, he has serious range, unlike any other swordsman in the game.

Marths a mid tier...Cloud is different, I agree that Cloud is somewhat better, but he's not high or top tier. He's like mid tier. Like marth. Also, marth is different from Cloud, so you can still use him. That's like saying, "Why would you use ZSS when Sheik is so much better?"

He's fast. That's just a fact...I don't know what you're trying to say. He seems like he's as fast as Roy, who's got a really good speed.

I know that a frame two counter won't happen, im just saying that it's really fast. Just rewatch some analysis stuff, and you'll see...

I was replying to a different post...

It's foolish to assume that chars are awful when you don't know enough, and you can't assume that he has no combos when they clearly show Utilt and Dtilt combos.

You do not need to sit through the bite animation. How did you not notice that? It says, IF you hold b, you can follow up. Also, if its similar to ZSS's, how is it going to be useless? ZSS's certainly isn't, so corrin's won't.

Top marth players use it to do damage and kill. It combos, and top players use it. That's been a fact since release that it is a combo...it's been a more trustworthy combo in this game than other smash games...

Maybe you should use Marth in training and see for yourself, and not just rely on outdated knowledge. Even if it slightly slows his fall, that's no more useful than his counter. If it was like mario's side b, like you say, it still would worsen his recovery, because it straight up cancels horizontal movement. Also, why are we debating about marth and not corrin...

I mean, you're just restating yourself. The dragon thing interests many top players, as it makes him different from an average swordsman.

Plus, he has serious range, unlike any other swordsman in the game.

Marths a mid tier...Cloud is different, I agree that Cloud is somewhat better, but he's not high or top tier. He's like mid tier. Like marth. Also, marth is different from Cloud, so you can still use him. That's like saying, "Why would you use ZSS when Sheik is so much better?"

He's fast. That's just a fact...I don't know what you're trying to say. He seems like he's as fast as Roy, who's got a really good speed.

I know that a frame two counter won't happen, im just saying that it's really fast. Just rewatch some analysis stuff, and you'll see...

I was replying to a different post...
Both times they show off any kind of follow-up on Utilt it looks sketchy as hell... At one point Corrin Utilts Cloud and then Cloud airdodges right when Corrin rolls. Since less knockback means less hitstun, if he weren't launched as far then it definitely wouldn't combo. Pretty sure that Corrin interrupted his Utilt as fast as possible since he did so earlier in the video.

Dtilt might combo, but one combo doesn't mean instant mid tier. Zelda can combo off of both Dtilt and Utilt and she's still trash.

Didn't show us not using the bite once. Holding B is to charge the blast, the bite likely is mandatory.

If it's similar to ZSS's then Corrin's even less unique. Pick your poison.

Never saw a top Marth use the move once for damage or to kill. Go to the Marth boards, they'll gladly tell you how crappy the move and Marth in general is.

Because I gave you an example of a trailer combo not working in reality, and you insist on arguing it instead of going straight to the horse's mouth.

No it don't lmao. They're going to try him once, see he's not better then Cloud and dropkick him off a cliff.

Shulk has range... And terrible, terrible frame data to compensate. Anybody with range like Corrin has objectively bad frame data, never mind the fact that having much more range then Marth/Pit/Ike/Cloud is redundant because you're going to outrange everything anyway.

Marth's outclassed by Cloud by the virtue that Cloud has better mobility, frame data, and can secure stocks worth a damn. Marth's just a noob slayer, and no decent player has rated him higher then low tier in months. Basically every Marth I've seen agrees. Cloud's had better tournament results in a month then Marth in a whole year, too... ZSS does better then Sheik against a bunch of different characters. If anything the two characters are roughly equal.

He's not. It's just a fact... I don't know what you're trying to say.

Really, one of the biggest fears on the Corrin boards is that he'll be too slow. Again, he's not going to have it all. Roy certainly don't.

The fastest counter currently in frame 4 on Little Mac. Marth's is frame 5, and the rest are significantly slower. Looks more like Roy's frame 8 counter that's useless for combo breaking, and in general.

Doesn't matter. You edit your previous post unless you're trying to tag somebody not present.

Both times they show off any kind of follow-up on Utilt it looks sketchy as hell... At one point Corrin Utilts Cloud and then Cloud airdodges right when Corrin rolls. Since less knockback means less hitstun, if he weren't launched as far then it definitely wouldn't combo. Pretty sure that Corrin interrupted his Utilt as fast as possible since he did so earlier in the video.

Dtilt might combo, but one combo doesn't mean instant mid tier. Zelda can combo off of both Dtilt and Utilt and she's still trash.

Didn't show us not using the bite once. Holding B is to charge the blast, the bite likely is mandatory.

If it's similar to ZSS's then Corrin's even less unique. Pick your poison.

Never saw a top Marth use the move once for damage or to kill. Go to the Marth boards, they'll gladly tell you how crappy the move and Marth in general is.

Because I gave you an example of a trailer combo not working in reality, and you insist on arguing it instead of going straight to the horse's mouth.

No it don't lmao. They're going to try him once, see he's not better then Cloud and dropkick him off a cliff.

Shulk has range... And terrible, terrible frame data to compensate. Anybody with range like Corrin has objectively bad frame data, never mind the fact that having much more range then Marth/Pit/Ike/Cloud is redundant because you're going to outrange everything anyway.

Marth's outclassed by Cloud by the virtue that Cloud has better mobility, frame data, and can secure stocks worth a damn. Marth's just a noob slayer, and no decent player has rated him higher then low tier in months. Basically every Marth I've seen agrees. Cloud's had better tournament results in a month then Marth in a whole year, too... ZSS does better then Sheik against a bunch of different characters. If anything the two characters are roughly equal.

He's not. It's just a fact... I don't know what you're trying to say.

Really, one of the biggest fears on the Corrin boards is that he'll be too slow. Again, he's not going to have it all. Roy certainly don't.

The fastest counter currently in frame 4 on Little Mac. Marth's is frame 5, and the rest are significantly slower. Looks more like Roy's frame 8 counter that's useless for combo breaking, and in general.

Doesn't matter. You edit your previous post unless you're trying to tag somebody not present.
His Utilt looks like Cloud's, and they almost never break out of moves immediately.

Dtilt means he has guaranteed combos. His down sends people in a more reliable angle than Zelda's. So already you know he isn't trash because he has reliable combos.

It only shows the bite twice, while they show the move itself like at least five times. The text when showing the move literally says "If you hold B, you can follow up with a bite."

If you haven't already, you should watch Zero or Etika's analysis videos. They have some pretty interesting stuff to say.

Just because Corrin has ONE similar move to ONE different character doesn't mean he's not unique. That's like saying Bayonetta is flat and boring because her neutral special is like fox's. Plus, it's not the same, it's only similar. Only like a fifth of Corrin's moveset is from other chars, and other chars don't have more than 1 similar move with him.

Well, then maybe you should watch some more Marth matches. I've seen them a lot on streams, and even at tournaments I went to.

Many people here are saying how they're inspired and excited to play him, and the majority say he's really cool, looks pretty good, and is unique.

Well, he has more range than Shulk and also has better frame data. Maybe you should watch it again.

Marth has a better recovery than Cloud, and has half-reliable combos with Utilt, down throw, and short hop side b autocancel stuff. The only reliable combo Cloud has is Dtilt to like, Nair at really low percents. I haven't seen a decent player rank marth below Mid tier or mid-low in a long time. Marth hasn't been considered low tier since diddy was the best. Also, literally everybody's worst matchup is Sheik. In case you haven't noticed, sheik is definitely the best in the game.

He is fast. He looks definitely faster than Marth. He looks like he has Roy's run speed. Maybe you should watch it again.

Roy is High or mid-high tier, which is the general consensus of most high level players. He's fast, has combos, has serious power, but the only struggles recovery, and he gets comboed.

There is no concern that he will be slow...Again, you should watch Etika's analysis.

His counter is fast. It comes out at about Marth's speed, which is fast. Also, roy's counter can break combos sometimes. Maybe you should watch it again.

Also, there isn't really any reason to argue this anymore, as his release is soon, and it doesn't seem like we're getting anywhere. I won't reply to you anymore on this thread

Last edited:
His Utilt looks like Cloud's, and they almost never break out of moves immediately.

Dtilt means he has guaranteed combos. His down sends people in a more reliable angle than Zelda's. So already you know he isn't trash because he has reliable combos.

It only shows the bite twice, while they show the move itself like at least five times. The text when showing the move literally says "If you hold B, you can follow up with a bite."

If you haven't already, you should watch Zero or Etika's analysis videos. They have some pretty interesting stuff to say.

Just because Corrin has ONE similar move to ONE different character doesn't mean he's not unique. That's like saying Bayonetta is flat and boring because her neutral special is like fox's. Plus, it's not the same, it's only similar. Only like a fifth of Corrin's moveset is from other chars, and other chars don't have more than 1 similar move with him.

Well, then maybe you should watch some more Marth matches. I've seen them a lot on streams, and even at tournaments I went to.

Many people here are saying how they're inspired and excited to play him, and the majority say he's really cool, looks pretty good, and is unique.

Well, he has more range than Shulk and also has better frame data. Maybe you should watch it again.

Marth has a better recovery than Cloud, and has half-reliable combos with Utilt, down throw, and short hop side b autocancel stuff. The only reliable combo Cloud has is Dtilt to like, Nair at really low percents. I haven't seen a decent player rank marth below Mid tier or mid-low in a long time. Marth hasn't been considered low tier since diddy was the best. Also, literally everybody's worst matchup is Sheik. In case you haven't noticed, sheik is definitely the best in the game.

He is fast. He looks definitely faster than Marth. He looks like he has Roy's run speed. Maybe you should watch it again.

Roy is High or mid-high tier, which is the general consensus of most high level players. He's fast, has combos, has serious power, but the only struggles recovery, and he gets comboed.

There is no concern that he will be slow...Again, you should watch Etika's analysis.

His counter is fast. It comes out at about Marth's speed, which is fast. Also, roy's counter can break combos sometimes. Maybe you should watch it again.

Also, there isn't really any reason to argue this anymore, as his release is soon, and it doesn't seem like we're getting anywhere. I won't reply to you anymore on this thread
What, it does random knockback? If you can act quickly once, you can act quickly every time. Cloud's is completely different because it's lower and obviously faster.

Zelda has reliable combos too. Still trash.

I don't believe you with how insistent you are about blatantly wrong things like Dancing Blade.

Watched 'em, still don't see diddly.

Where's this magical completely new and unique move on Corrin?

All the Marths drowned in pools at Genesis as far as I'm aware... Meaning they were eliminated as quickly as possible.

Maybe so, but better frame data then Shulk is a low bar to beat.

Roy? High tier? lolno. Marth and Roy combined have worse results in a year then Cloud in a month. Go ahead and claim Roy's a high tier in the competitive impressions thread; You'll get laughed out of there in record time. Nobody believes in Roy, and ZeRo had to make a video to apologize for riding the hype too hard.

Top Bottom