• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A better GCN controller? Hori Battle Pad for Wii U - Review!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
Review of the Hori Battle Pad for Wii U

I've had this controller for several months now, and I'm ready to give a full review of it.
I've decided to post the review in the past tense, as it'll serve as a monument for future generations.

Start Review

This thread started because I was trying to find the perfect controller for Super Smash Bros for Wii U, be it for general use or a tournament setting. The images of the Hori Battle Pad were appealing:

THE CONTROLLER IN THEORY

The controller looked almost exactly like a GameCube controller. The sticks and buttons looked like they were the right size, shape, and texture. There were some extra buttons on the controller's face, but those didn't look like they'd get in the way at all and they added a TURBO function, to boot!

Also, it came in Mario and Luigi colors that mimic the extremely limited Club Nintendo releases. What's not to like?

Moving on to other features, the thing that drew me in and made me purchase this controller was the shoulder buttons. At the time, Brawl only worked with digital shoulder button presses. Assuming that Smash 4 would carry on with this tradition, it seemed logical that a fast moving digital button press would be a better shoulder button. This would let you react more quickly and would allow for things like using the shoulder buttons for jump more comfortably without having to de-spring your original GameCube controller.

Didn't those shoulder buttons look super attractive?

The other benefit this controller offered was the D-Pad. It was the same size as the one on the Classic Controller. This would make it useful for Virtual Console games. Speaking of other games, this controller was usable with any game that supports the Classic Controller. This wasn't true of the GameCube controller, which was only usable (with the officiall GameCube Adapter) with Super Smash Bros for Wii U.

Overall, it seemed like Hori has taken the GameCube controller and had updated the design and removed any drawbacks that the original had.

THE CONTROLLER IN PRACTICE

I received the controller at the same time I received my GameCube Adapter and excitedly opened both.

The Hori Battle Pad for Wii U felt pretty light.
This was mostly due to the lack of a rumble motor. Like a Classic Controller, it had no vibration feedback, but due to the GameCube Controller shape, it had a lot of empty space as shown here:

A, B, X, and Y felt exactly the same as they do on an original GameCube controller. They were the same height, shape, and size, which was great! The shape of the controller was almost identical to the original GameCube controller and the shoulder buttons were like the ones on the Pro Controller, meaning the triggers were buttons that angled downward toward the back when pressed, but were still fully digital.

Oddly, the Hori Battle Pad's plastic shell seemed a bit rushed. There was a tiny bit of mold flash around the bottom seam that I had to scratch off with my fingernail. The screws on the back were a bit uneven due to some plastic flash in one of the screw holes. I removed the screw and tried tightening it with no effect.

The main drawback of this controller was, surprisingly, the main Analog stick. The top of the analog stick was slightly higher than the one on an original GameCube controller, and oddly, to make up for the increased D-Pad size, the area around the analog stick and buttons was expanded slightly. Unfortunately, this puts the analog stick a bit too far to the right of the left edge of the controller and moves your hand position enough to throw off muscle memory.

When the Classic Controller Pro came out, I switched to it because I wanted to have a replaceable controller and figured that the GameCube controller would be discontinued soon (boy, was I wrong). I had the same issue (much more extreme, of course) when switching to that controller due to the new hand position. By comparison to the Classic Controller Pro, the Hori Battle Pad didn't have this issue at all, but compared to the GameCube controller, it was noticeable.

The Z/L and Z/R shoulder buttons on the Battle Pad felt nice. I liked how they felt better than the Z button on the actual GameCube controller. The back shoulder buttons were pretty good, but made a bit of a click when I pressed them down. My friend also received one of these controllers and described it as a 'springy' sound. When I opened up the controller, I found out that the rear shoulder buttons don't have any springs in them and that this sound was caused by the button's plastic hitting the back of the shell.

The shoulder buttons worked well, overall though.

At the time, I only had an old launch GameCube controller, that while in good condition had a bit of give to the main analog stick. I'd refurbished that controller using the rubber button membranes from a newer GameCube controller, but I didn't have a newer analog stick to work with.

In eight player Smash I tested the analog sticks for responsiveness.

I tested:

Wii U Pro Controller
A heavily used Classic Controller Pro
A brand new Classic Controller Pro
Heavily used GameCube controller
Moderately used Wavebird
Hori Battle Pad for Wii U
NYKO Pro Commander (Pro Controller)
PowerA Mini Pro Elite Wireless Controller for Wii U

In my tests, the analog sticks were very comparable. They were all able to accurately determine input direction. Interestingly, some of them seemed a bit too sensitive.

I'll explain what I mean by that, because it's not something that I can easily quantify.

Pressing a stick slowly from neutral to the right should gradually make your character walk faster until they get up to full walking speed.

On some of these controllers, the range from zero to fully pressed was shorter than on others. Meaning that it took a much more careful and small movement to make the character move their slowest or even moderately slowly.

This doesn't affect most games, but in games like Smash where you can walk for spacing, it can be problematic as it can cause you to dash when you're not expecting to.

Unfortunately, compared to the real GameCube controller, the Hori Battle Pad suffers from this sensitivity. Interestingly, the Wii U Pro Controller and the NYKO Pro Commander also have this issue.

This could be why some people call the Pro Controller "Too sensitive". Interestingly, the GameCube controller seemed to have the smoothest movement gradient. This might have been due to the stick being broken in a bit more, or so I thought.

After all of my initial testing, I acquired a Smash Bros branded GameCube controller and a Mayflash Adapter.

Interestingly, even though the stick was tight and fresh, the controller still had a higher range of motion before it'd be considered fully pressed. I figured that this had something to do with the stick type and the physical range of motion.

For example, the new GameCube controller, the Pro Controller, and the Classic Controller Pro all used the same type of all-plastic stick box.

The Pro Controller, though, had a smaller opening for the stick to move around in. That limited the maximum range of the stick. Perhaps that contributed to the "sensitivity"?

The Hori Battle Pad for Wii U, however, had a different type of stick box. It had an all-metal box that's similar to the stick box in controllers like the Alienware USB/PS2 pad and the Saitek P2900 wireless pad.

The Hori Battle Pad Sitck Box

The Alienware USB controller

The all metal design seemed just as responsive and springy as the original GameCube controller. It was very smooth when you rotated it around in a circle, being careful to avoid the hexagonal edges of the shell. Interestingly, the official GameCube controllers were a bit rough when circled this way, almost as if they were catching on something internally. Every first party GameCube controller I tested did this. I hadn't tested any other first party controllers.

One of the main advantages of the Hori Battle Pad was its ability to be used in games besides Smash Bros for Wii U. Games such as Super Mario 3D World, or Super Smash Bros on the N64 Virtual Console.

I really liked the Hori Battle Pad for Wii U. Unfortunately, I liked the original GameCube controller better. It just felt more solid. In the end, though, it came down to the left stick. While perfectly passable and usable with enough practice, the Hori Battle Pad's stick was too sensitive and would sometimes flip my character around if I were to release the stick and let it reset to normal. This only happened with a few characters, including Duck Hunt. With most characters, this never happened. Note, there were reports of this happening with the Pro Controller, the Gamepad, and other first party controllers.

The main benefit of the controller was, in my opinion, outweighed by the drawbacks, namely the analog stick. Note: I thought the analog stick was perfectly useable and even felt pretty good, but I was on a quest for the perfect controller for Smash.

I did find a product called the Classic Linker Plus that lets you use Classic Controllers with GameCube ports. This could be used to use the Hori Battle Pad with the GameCube Adapter, in theory. All of the reviews for the product said that it had a huge delay while in use and that it dropped inputs. Oh well.

In the end, the Hori Battle Pad for Wii U held up very well compared to the other available controller options, but if someone had the extra money, a Smash Bros GameCube controller with a Mayflash adapter would have served them better. It would have let them use the controller as a Classic Controller, while still letting them wire up were they to go to a tournament.

For the price ($25) the Hori Battle Pad for Wii U couldn't be beat! I would have highly recommended it.
For almost double the cost, you could have gotten any number of any first party alternatives that would have served you just as well if not slightly better.

The Wii U Pro Controller was perfect aside from the lack of hexagonal guides for the analog stick and the lack of a wired option.

The Classic Controller Pro was a great alternative aside from the position of the analog stick and the lack of a wired version.

The GameCube/Wavebird controller itself would be ideal if it was supported in more games than just Super Smash Bros for Wii U.

The GameCube controller was perfect if you bought a 3rd party Classic Controller adapter for it (Like the Mayflash Adapter). Even then, it wasn't compatible with all of the games due to the lack of two Z buttons.

End Review.

TL:DR
The Hori Battle Pad for Wii U is definitely worth getting for the price, unless you can afford a Smash Bros GameCube controller and either a Mayflash Adapter or a GameCube Adapter.

I'm highly tempted to buy the PDP Wired Fight Pad to compare it directly to the GameCube controller and the Hori Battle Pad in an update to this review. Should I?

Attachments

Last edited:

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Them being better is subjective, we don't even have hands on previews or anything! :p

These do look amazing though.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
Hori has always been known to make very high quality Nintendo accessories. I wish the images on Amazon weren't 3D renders, though.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
Hori has always been known to make very high quality Nintendo accessories. I wish the images on Amazon weren't 3D renders, though.
Yes. My only concern with 3rd party controllers is that they tend to wear out easily, but these could be pretty high quality.

NinjaWaddleDee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NinjaWaddleDee
Needs moar characters than just Mario ones. Add Kirby, Samus, and Link, and I'll be all over this.

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Sorry, Wii U Pro Controller, I might have found someone else.

Amazon is showing a new type of Gamecube Controller is available for pre-order. It's made by Hori that acts as a Classic Controller:
(There are Mario and Luigi color variants so far)

The shoulder buttons on this beast look INCREDIBLE! This product lets you use Classic Controllers on a Gamecube, so using this in tournaments is possible if it's allowed.

From the Amazon product description:

NOTE: This is not the same pad that was announced at E3.

This is similar to the Wired Fight Pad in functionality. As shown above. They are both officially licensed 3rd party controllers.

As shown in this side-by-side below, the Wired Fight Pad is more closely related to the Chameleon Gamecube pad than it is an actual Gamecube controller. That's not surprising considering the same company makes both.

I haven't been this excited for a controller since... Ever!
It looks really cool.

So if I get the product that let's you use the wii classic controller/Playstation/PS2 controllers in a gamecube port... and then I buy the gamecube adapter for the wii u...

can I play with an original playstation dual shock controller? Cause that'd be funny.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
It looks really cool.

So if I get the product that let's you use the wii classic controller/Playstation/PS2 controllers in a gamecube port... and then I buy the gamecube adapter for the wii u...

can I play with an original playstation dual shock controller? Cause that'd be funny.
Yes, actually. That adapter lets you use either Classic Controllers or Dual Shock 2 controllers with a Gamecube.

TheGoldMan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheGoldMan
3DS FC
1950-8066-7015
Whatever you do, don't buy the GameStop GCN controllers. They feel extremely cheap and they break after a short period of time.

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
Nothing is better than the original...

EDIT: I thought it was a GC controller. -.-' Still original is always better in terms of quality but I love the GC-controller so this is nice.

Last edited:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Nothing is better than the original...
Not with that attitude. ¦D

That kind of thinking is very close-minded. There is always going to be something better than the original eventually.

And this seems like it could be it...But I'm actually a little disappointed that it's read as a Classic Controller. I really want to see someone make a custom Wii U Pro Controller that's designed just like this one. That way, I can use it with all of the Wii U games.

Someone, definitely make a thread when that happens.

I'll definitely keep a lookout for this, though. I'll probably get it if it isn't too expensive.

Last edited:

Zarxrax

Smash Apprentice
I don't really see much appeal to this. I think they really dropped the ball by making it function as a classic controller which needs to be tethered to a wiimote. It just seems like a lot of annoyance. It brings us all of the downsides of a wired controller (having a cord getting in your way) and all of the downsides of a wireless controller (batteries, interference), with the benefits of neither.

Unless the shoulder buttons just look amazingly sexy to you, I think a regular gamecube controller or a wavebird would be better. This would have been amazing if it were an actual wireless controller like the wii u pro controller.

Poolco

Smash Rookie
There's also a Princess Peach one. I'm pretty sure it's just the four.
Yep, I saw them in a GameInformer while waiting at GameStop. The styles shown were Mario, Luigi, Peach and Yoshi. I think they look pretty sweet - I'd just like to see some reviews on the durability before I replace my old GCN controllers with them.
Edit: I thought they were actually GCN controllers. That blows.

Last edited:

FangedSniper

Smash Apprentice
It's a GameCube controller with extra shoulder buttons and a Turbo mode, and you don't need an adapter for the controller unlike standard GameCube controllers.

WHAT IS NOT TO LIKE?

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Whatever you do, don't buy the GameStop GCN controllers. They feel extremely cheap and they break after a short period of time.
This.

I bought one, and now it barley works. The rubber came of the control stick, the c-stick doesn't work anymore, the d-pad is too hard to press, I could go on.

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
It looks really cool.

I'm sorry but this idea is ********

Smashed Brotatoes

Smash Rookie
Do you need to have the wii u remote to plug the controller into? If that is the case, why wouldn't you just buy the adapter instead of buying a new controller and the remote?

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Do you need to have the wii u remote to plug the controller into? If that is the case, why wouldn't you just buy the adapter instead of buying a new controller and the remote?
Playing every Wii and Wii U game compatible with the Classic Controller WITH a GCN controller........

Last edited:

Hitzel

Smash Ace
I'm sorry but this idea is ********
Why so? There are people out there who prefer different controllers. I'd love to be able to use a 360 controller to play Smash, since it's my overall favorite controller and I've played enough emulated Smash 64 with one to know I like it for Smash.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Why so? There are people out there who prefer different controllers. I'd love to be able to use a 360 controller to play Smash, since it's my overall favorite controller and I've played enough emulated Smash 64 with one to know I like it for Smash.
I'm sure people will find a way (or not, I don't really care cause my fav for Smash is the GCN's)

Naoshi

One of the coolest things is that they actually keep the octagon gate design for the analog. The circle pad being a perfect circle kind of messes up the accuracy of my attacks. Is it just me that the perfect circle design doesn't mesh all that too well with Smash?

Last edited:

Mechageo

Smash Ace
One of the coolest things is that they actually keep the octagon gate design for the analog. The circle pad being a perfect circle kind of messes up the accuracy of my attacks. Is it just me that the perfect circle design doesn't mesh all that too well with Smash?
It's not just you.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Prefect circle = Too many directions to handle
Octogon = Perfect!!!!

31gma

Smash Cadet
NNID
yrba10
Like to see the longevity of this controller 6 months after release. I know Nintendo is funding Hori to make these controllers but 3rd party distribution still leaves me skeptic.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Like to see the longevity of this controller 6 months after release. I know Nintendo is funding Hori to make these controllers but 3rd party distribution still leaves me skeptic.
If Nintendo funds these controllers, they have to make them work if they want to make profits.

Last edited:

Wyntir

NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
Xbox controller is for xbox! Makes no sense

Naoshi

Xbox controller is for xbox! Makes no sense
And that's an issue how? :p I greatly prefer the GC controller for Smash but I don't see the harm in people wanting the 360 controller for Smash... it's a pretty awesome controller itself!

Last edited:

Wyntir

NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
And that's an issue how? :p I greatly prefer the GC controller for Smash but I don't see the harm in people wanting the 360 controller for Smash... it's a pretty awesome controller itself!
I'm just saying my opinion... Which I think it's a dumb idea

Wyntir

NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
But that's not nice >.>
So? The real world isn't always "nice"
Try not to be so sensitive..

Back on subject, I've had Hori N64 controllers n they were the best so I'm excited about these

Naoshi

So? The real world isn't always "nice"
Try not to be so sensitive..
So this means no one has the right to complain about another person being absolutely rude? Well, okay then, whatever you say, I'll just drop it for the sake of not derailing the thread.

Back on subject, I've had Hori N64 controllers n they were the best so I'm excited about these
I have the gold one of that. It's pretty neat. They seem to go for a lot on ebay nowadays.

And yeah Hori products tends to be great, the Wheel for the OG 3DS makes Smash Bros 3DS a lot nicer to play. I wonder how this GC styled controller will stack up to the real thing? Hori Makes a lot of cool products so I hope this isn't no exception.

Thinking about it, it'd be our solution to using GC controllers on almost every game. Wii Mode and the majority of Wii U games...

Last edited:

Wyntir

NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
Lol why can't you guys handle blunt opinions with a pinch of sarcasm?

Hmm I wonder if they'll have a Bowser themed controller?

Naoshi

I have a feeling they might stick with just Mario, Luigi, Peach and Yoshi. They seem to be following the design style of the recent Wiimotes that has the same designs. I hope I'm wrong though, I'd love to see non-Mario characters for a change...

Last edited:

Mechageo

Smash Ace
I have a feeling they might stick with just Mario, Luigi, Peach and Yoshi. They seem to be following the design style of the recent Wiimotes that has the same designs. I hope I'm wrong though, I'd love to see non-Mario characters for a change...
A yellow DK controller like the old Play It Loud Gameboy would be awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom