• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

9.0 Classic

ChefKef

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hayesey
3DS FC
3368-2641-2915
Anyone else ready to snap their DS at the achievement? Classic already is a giant sin. No Omega mode and items makes the mode more luck based than skill based. Then there is the team battles. You get teamed with a computer that seems to be on level one, while the other CPU's feel like they have their levels buffed, and then one can occupy you while the other can just go and build up a dragoon or anything they want to do. And then there is the forced path to fight master core, at this point a 5-Stage boss, and you only get two stock, and with no customs, this only gets harder. A really bad mode that should have just been removed if they cared this little.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I've been able to make it to Master Core with Rosalina on intensity level 9.0 simply by taking the easiest routes for stages 1-4. For stage 5, I might take a harder route if it means getting the Fighting Mii Team.

Pretty much all of my game overs were due to Master Core, and as such, I never really lost any gold. I eventually conquered intensity level 9.0 with Rosalina after enough tries, along with some customization modifications.

ChefKef

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hayesey
3DS FC
3368-2641-2915
Yeah, master core usually is the only problem, but when you lose to a dragoon that one player got while the other distracted you and your teammate killed themselves, you get pretty mad.

Master core really is tough. There is nothing in particular that gets me, I usually do or don't dodge his attacks, but they just add up. I play as doctor Mario and I usually get to the clone battle, but at that point I'm at ~130% and just get knocked out at the first attack due to the hitboxes being so big.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

This is what won it for me.

I even took the red paths the whole way through (because I was greedy).

Ovenn

Smash Rookie
NNID
OvennAgan
It shouldn't be that difficult, I got it 2nd try with C. Falcon, no customs or equipment, my friend was trying all day with Gannondorf, then got it on his third try with Falcon after I suggested it to him.

Samuel Intrater

Smash Apprentice
I had a TON of trouble with it. Eventually I got it with defense-maxed Ganondorf by spamming rolls and up smashes.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Personally I used Ganondorf. I gave him some healing and defensive equipment.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
I managed to beat 9.0 with Zelda, no customs, no equipment and always taking the red route (to have moar prizes) after 21 attempts.... IT WAS HELL

PedroSmashFan2014

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-1313-2178
Anyone else ready to snap their DS at the achievement? Classic already is a giant sin. No Omega mode and items makes the mode more luck based than skill based. Then there is the team battles. You get teamed with a computer that seems to be on level one, while the other CPU's feel like they have their levels buffed, and then one can occupy you while the other can just go and build up a dragoon or anything they want to do. And then there is the forced path to fight master core, at this point a 5-Stage boss, and you only get two stock, and with no customs, this only gets harder. A really bad mode that should have just been removed if they cared this little.
Agree with you, why they changed classic mode to make it soooooooooo hard on the highest levels. And when ya lose, You lose money and prizes, difficulty drops, it is a change I don´t like.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
The only thing you get from picking the harder routes is more coins and possibly trophies, at the expense of having the handicap on the AI jacked up an insane degree.

That said, if you're trying to get a high score, picking the easiest routes is your best bet.

Also, outside of the much higher amount of explosive items, the Fighting Mii Team is always the easier choice of a penultimate level due to them never using defensive actions or items, and never trying to recover, which makes them much easier to deal with. The other teams are standard AIs and do everything you'd expect.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I managed to beat Classic Mode on Intensity 9.0 with Rosalina & Luma without using their custom specials. It took me like 5-10 tries to get the job done...it was one hell of a roller coaster ride. Now I can't wait to make a repeat performance on the Wii U version.

ChefKef

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hayesey
3DS FC
3368-2641-2915
Well today I finally did it. Did it with C.Falc With ~20 in each stat. Thank you everyone for all the suggestions!

Nebulax

Smash Cadet
9.0 Master Core is really hard. Certain characters seem to have a better time against him than others. Without equipment my record is 8.5, but I'm trying to beat that.

And I agree about the team battle thing. It really isn't fair.

Ovenn

Smash Rookie
NNID
OvennAgan
Well today I finally did it. Did it with C.Falc With ~20 in each stat. Thank you everyone for all the suggestions!
Told you just to use Falcon. I don't know why he works though, maybe its just because he's so awesome :4falcon:.

D

Deleted member

I did it with my first try as Greninja. It's not hard to me, but I can see where your frustrations are coming from.

Generally, Classic mode in high intensities makes you fly more easily, makes the Master bosses generally faster, and it's a huge turn-off to be honest.

Trying to complete Classic mode with all characters is a big chore too.

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
I was so close-! I got to Master Core as Mario without losing a stock (somehow-!) but I got destroyed by the beast form, which bizzarely I find more tough to fight than the sword form. No powers used either; I forgot they existed. XP

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I did it with my first try as Greninja. It's not hard to me, but I can see where your frustrations are coming from.

Generally, Classic mode in high intensities makes you fly more easily, makes the Master bosses generally faster, and it's a huge turn-off to be honest.

Trying to complete Classic mode with all characters is a big chore too.
At least you only have to clear intensity level 9.0 once. You can go all intensity 0.0 for everyone else if you wanted, though 2.0 is simple enough for most fighters.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I was able to beat 9.0 difficulty with Villager, simply ramming my gyroid against master core over and over.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I was able to beat 9.0 difficulty with Villager, simply ramming my gyroid against master core over and over.
Timber also does a silly amount of damage. Both the early and late hits of the tree's growth and fall will connect, as will the two axe chops you use to cut the tree down, which amounts to around 80% damage without customs in play.

Mostly good as a way to get some initial damage the moment a form manifests itself.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Oh yeah, I do that too with the first one. With Wolf and swords, I mostly gyroid, because I can ram gyroid over and over, while still being able to act afterwards, for another one. Basically, I rise ABOVE the attacks XD

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Classic is the easiest it's ever been. For reference, I have tried to beat Brawl's classic with every character without continuing. I have a lot of trouble with it. In this game, i could reliably beat classic at 9.0 within the first week.

Remember that you have two lives in classic, so you have to die twice before you actually lose. Metal and 2v2 are the only times you should have trouble. The rest are laughable. For 2v2, just fight along side your partner. Stay with him at all times. It's dumb, but can still be an asset to you. Get the most mileage out of it before they die. For Metal, you just need to do damage and survive. If you get Villager or Pac-Man, but in for a long fight. For others, try to damage them up and throw them off the ledge. FOr stage 5, select the Fighting Mii Team if you want an easier time. The other's aren't awful, but they can use items and recover. Usually avoid Little Mac.

The hardest part is beating master Core. Here is a quick guide
  • Giant - He does lots of damage but it's hard for him to KO you. f he grabs his head, get close and try and dodge. If he grabs his chest, you grab the ledge. If his chest opens, try to run away from him
  • Master Beast - He's only tough because he attacks fast and you'll likely have a lot of damage here. Back rolls dodge all of his attacks. The best strategy is attack and get ready to dodge. If you see something quickly come down on him, back roll.
  • Master Edge - The only really strong attack is where the sword wiggle. You should run away and then back roll. Avoid the last hit. It also has a powerful quick strike. It will ream back and slash before this. Air dodge helps here. The other attacks just do damage. Reflectors help
  • Master Shadow - mIlage varies by character. You can be generally aggressive with it because it doesn't counter attack well. Grabs are great. Also vunerable to strings. Just don't get into a spacing war with it. Also, you don't have to knock it out of the blast zones. It will die after enough damage
  • Master Core - Just KO it eventually. It attacks back after a minute or so.
For equipment, you don't need to get fancy. Just don't sack defense. I like to do one attack, one defense, and one speed item. You'll have about +20-30 for each stat.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
For equipment, you don't need to get fancy. Just don't sack defense. I like to do one attack, one defense, and one speed item. You'll have about +20-30 for each stat.
In case anyone doesn't know, because defense-type equipment hinders the speed stat, you will end up hindering not just your ground mobility, but also your aerial mobility and jump height if you're going all out on the defense boosts. This could prove to be very detrimental to anyone whose recovery is terrible, as Master Giant has a wave attack that can push you off the stage quite easily.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
In case anyone doesn't know, because defense-type equipment hinders the speed stat, you will end up hindering not just your ground mobility, but also your aerial mobility and jump height if you're going all out on the defense boosts. This could prove to be very detrimental to anyone whose recovery is terrible, as Master Giant has a wave attack that can push you off the stage quite easily.
This is why I like to just have better than average rather having having one be good and another being bad. It's hard to sack any of them in classic. Speed is the lesser of three evils and you can get away with it if your can get back to the stage fast enough.

I may experiment and do a character with super high defense.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
This is why I like to just have better than average rather having having one be good and another being bad. It's hard to sack any of them in classic. Speed is the lesser of three evils and you can get away with it if your can get back to the stage fast enough.

I may experiment and do a character with super high defense.
Rosalina is able to fully recover from Master Giant's wave attack, even with a speed value that's below -50, but ONLY if she's using the standard Launch Star. Launch Star Plus and Launch Star Attack won't save her, especially since the latter halts her momentum upon finishing.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I die less to Master Core then I do to random item stupidity in the matches prior to it these days.

It's kind of hard to avoid dying from something like explosives appearing in front of you the moment you ready an attack.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Rosalina is able to fully recover from Master Giant's wave attack, even with a speed value that's below -50, but ONLY if she's using the standard Launch Star. Launch Star Plus and Launch Star Attack won't save her, especially since the latter halts her momentum upon finishing.
From what I know, the wave attack can be dodged and even if you don't dodge it, it doesn't do much unless you're far away from him.

I did try it out with Luigi: 66 attack, 107 def and -77 Speed. The only thing that hurt me was I had a perfect storm with Master Giant, and no, it wasn't the wave. I had gotten hit to the upper left corner when he moves up the platform then he did the slash attack though I missed the dodge. I think you can do it with this set up no problem. It actually works wonders against characters since you don't get knocked anywhere.

EDIT: OK, just did it again and won with Defense Luigi. I should also add that I lost a life to Master Hand right off the bat. But I was able to power through the other with no problem. Master Shadow gave me some problem, but that's only because he was me. Just focused on staying the the middle and won. The strategy is great actually because even if things don't go your way, you can power through them. In how I was doing before, I would have to do some pro dodging if I died right off the bat to the hands. With this, I can tank and deal damage and make it to Master Shadow without too much damage. Every other fight was a piece of cake. Metal characters are laughable. I should also note that defense Luigi is my best score. Over 2 million GSP.

Last edited:

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
150+ Defence ganondorf got me to master core, but I got absolutely destroyed

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
150+ Defence ganondorf got me to master core, but I got absolutely destroyed
Just so that people are aware, defense boosts only increase your fighter's weight and slows down your shield's degeneration speed. Launch resistance does not change, so even a +200 defense boost won't keep Master Beast from sending you flying at low damage with its bite attack.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Defense is the most worthless of the 3 stats. It's best to max out attack because the stat boosts are much more noticeable against the bosses (HP-based fights) than the normal battles (damage/launch-based). You go from having to hit them multiple times, to sometimes being able to kill their current form in 2-4 hits if you get in a good smash attack. Speed would be good to use, except it lowers attack, so it's not worth it.

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
Maxing out my attack is okay, but getting to Master Core was hard for me, and when I did, I also got destroyed ^_^

plasterbrain

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2766-8372-1941
I've been trying to cheat my way through and sometimes you still get stuck with the team battle by picking the easy path. Everything ChefKef said though is spot on. Your partner is so useless at this point they might as well be healing the enemy team.

SatoshiM

Smash Cadet
Honestly, the only hard part of Classic is learning Master Core's patterns. Once you have them down, he's a piece of cake with any character.

Almost got a 0% run earlier today with Villager, full default. Spammed Timbur. Took like 4% from clone's slingshot, which annoyed me. Nonetheless, everything he does it dodgeable if you have enough practice. IMO Falcon, Ganon, and Charizard are the easiest if you don't like Villager. Falcon spams sweetspot knee, Ganon spams Reverse Warlock Punch (at least that's what I did, there's enough time between attacks to do it if you're precise), Charizard spams Rock Smash like in Brawl.

I hope Master Labyrinth is more of a challenge.

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
Honestly, the only hard part of Classic is learning Master Core's patterns. Once you have them down, he's a piece of cake with any character.

Almost got a 0% run earlier today with Villager, full default. Spammed Timbur. Took like 4% from clone's slingshot, which annoyed me. Nonetheless, everything he does it dodgeable if you have enough practice. IMO Falcon, Ganon, and Charizard are the easiest if you don't like Villager. Falcon spams sweetspot knee, Ganon spams Reverse Warlock Punch (at least that's what I did, there's enough time between attacks to do it if you're precise), Charizard spams Rock Smash like in Brawl.

I hope Master Labyrinth is more of a challenge.
I've already beaten classic with all characters from 4.0 intensity to 7.0 and I still can't get used to master core.

Alright, I just did it with Attack Ganondorf, and 1 defence equipment that brought my defence from negative to positive, good luck all!

Last edited by a moderator:

Blue Warrior

Smash Apprentice
Classic is easy lmao. The achievement is challenging, but not an utter ball-buster like some people are making it out to be.

The different routes don't seem to have much effect on the difficulty at this intensity, so I just take the route that I think will play best to my character's strengths. The hardest part is literally just understanding all of the Core's attacks. Equipment I think should depend on the character you use so that you're not too slow, but I think you can afford to be glass so long as you make your attack power count.

Last edited:
Top Bottom