• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

8 Player Smash Stages in Tournaments

Dinn3r

Smash Rookie
NNID
Th34wesomeness
I've looked everywhere but I can't seem to find anything on this topic.

For those who don't know, 8 Player Smash stages (particularly the ones that were recently added) are significantly different from their source stages in that most don't transform or feature stage hazards. What does this mean?

It means that some 8 Player Smash stages should be tourney legal! One of my favorite stages on Project M is Pokemon Stadium 2. Pokemon Stadium 2 (8 Version) would work very well in tournaments in my opinion.

Any thoughts on this?

Raijinken

Smash Master
In some cases, a notable change is that, for instance with Omegas, the main platform becomes much larger and closer to the side blast-zones, which favors horizontal killers. I also recall that someone mentioned gimmicks don't disable unless you're above a certain player threshold.

Either way, while I like the idea, I wonder how it would factor into the selection process. If someone picks Stadium 2 (and we treat the default form as unacceptable despite the division on that view), then the system has to be backed out to 8-Player Smash, characters have to be re-picked, etc. And once it's over, you have to go back to default Smash mode.

Dinn3r

Smash Rookie
NNID
Th34wesomeness
In some cases, a notable change is that, for instance with Omegas, the main platform becomes much larger and closer to the side blast-zones, which favors horizontal killers. I also recall that someone mentioned gimmicks don't disable unless you're above a certain player threshold.

Either way, while I like the idea, I wonder how it would factor into the selection process. If someone picks Stadium 2 (and we treat the default form as unacceptable despite the division on that view), then the system has to be backed out to 8-Player Smash, characters have to be re-picked, etc. And once it's over, you have to go back to default Smash mode.
Yeah, that does seem like a bit of a hassle. Either way, food for thought.

TheASDF

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheASDF

Why would you have to exit the 8-Player Smash screen? You can still play with two players in that mode just fine, as far as I know.

Nevertheless, not really a good idea, as much as I wish it was; for one, you need to have three extra people there just to suicide for the match, which isn't always gonna be feasible in tournaments.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
You can use 8 Player Smash to be the exact same thing as normal Smash just with more slots on the character select.
Having two players has all the stages in the game and it even looks normal. So, yeah. The main issue is controllers. Good for doubles imo.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Why would you have to exit the 8-Player Smash screen? You can still play with two players in that mode just fine, as far as I know.

Nevertheless, not really a good idea, as much as I wish it was; for one, you need to have three extra people there just to suicide for the match, which isn't always gonna be feasible in tournaments.
Ah, you're right. For some reason (probably because I never enter 8-player mode with fewer than 5 players) I didn't realize it would give regular-sized Omegas and stages and whatnot if you had a low enough playercount.

But either way, the hazards aren't disabled if you have only two players on the stage, so it still becomes an issue of extra players. If we need more stage variety (which I'm always a fan of), once sharing is available on the U we can just use custom stages for that.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
You can use 8 Player Smash to be the exact same thing as normal Smash just with more slots on the character select.
Having two players has all the stages in the game and it even looks normal. So, yeah. The main issue is controllers. Good for doubles imo.
This is probably where using the 8-player smash will even be possible. You'd only need one extra person available to SD out, similar to 3DS tournaments, which shouldn't be hard to do.

TheASDF

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheASDF
Ah, yeah, didn't even think about that. Still don't see it becoming a popular option, but one person is much easier to get a hold of.

Getting that fifth controller is still difficult, though, in the sense that you either need a) the Gamepad to not be dead b) a person with a wireless controller on them or c) a second Gamecube adapter plugged in.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Actually, I just thought of something kind of clever. Has anyone tested having someone play in the 5th player slot? Would it count it as "Oh there must be 5 players playing then"? I doubt it but then again, this game has LOTS of corners that are cut so I wouldn't be surprised.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Actually, I just thought of something kind of clever. Has anyone tested having someone play in the 5th player slot? Would it count it as "Oh there must be 5 players playing then"? I doubt it but then again, this game has LOTS of corners that are cut so I wouldn't be surprised.
Fortunately (from a robustness stance, not for our purposes), it counts the number of players in the match, and has no care for the player slot numbers. Thus, this makes no difference when determining hazard toggles.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Fortunately (from a robustness stance, not for our purposes), it counts the number of players in the match, and has no care for the player slot numbers. Thus, this makes no difference when determining hazard toggles.
Yeah alright, that's what I expected. Would've been too convenient if Nintendo did that. -.-

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
If there weren't logistical issues, I'd be ok with this, but having a gamepad connected (causes interruptions in consoles at large tournaments) or another 5th controller (an extra GC adapter) just to run this is a lot of work.

It would be nice if we had to option to turn these hazards off in regular smash mode. I also really like the no-transformations Pokemon Stadium, as well as Pyrosphere and Norfair with no hazards.

This is just me, but I think Pokemon Stadium 2 is a fine stage in this game: Ground isn't abusable with wall infinites anymore, the conveyor belts in Electric were slowed down, no tripping makes Ice great (imo) and faster falling speeds make Flying more bearable (still the one I dislike the most).
But, that's just my preference.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
If there weren't logistical issues, I'd be ok with this, but having a gamepad connected (causes interruptions in consoles at large tournaments) or another 5th controller (an extra GC adapter) just to run this is a lot of work.

It would be nice if we had to option to turn these hazards off in regular smash mode. I also really like the no-transformations Pokemon Stadium, as well as Pyrosphere and Norfair with no hazards.

This is just me, but I think Pokemon Stadium 2 is a fine stage in this game: Ground isn't abusable with wall infinites anymore, the conveyor belts in Electric were slowed down, no tripping makes Ice great (imo) and faster falling speeds make Flying more bearable (still the one I dislike the most).
I personally agree with you. The Ice form is actually really fun because it allows newer and cooler looking combos. Try doing some sliding smash attacks after a forward throw for instance, something the majority of characters couldn't do.

Raijinken

Smash Master

There's nothing to stop us from just using stage builder for these aside from willingness to adopt the policy.

Top Bottom