• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social 7th Heaven - Cloud Social Thread

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Sephiroth's range would be unreal. I think he would be able to outrange Shulk even.
Corrin says hi.

I'm pretty disappointed that Cloud doesn't speak English. Honestly, it doesn't completely feel like him since I don't recognize his voice.
I feel completely opposite, since I've watched Advent Children so many times with subs rather than the English dub, lol.

Last edited:

Gimmick

Smash Ace
Maybe it's just me, but I feel like Sakurai had some type of bias when making Bayonetta. Cloud, one of the most iconic video game characters in history, only got himself and a stage (plus mii costumes...).

Bayonetta got a stage, herself, several trophies, and tons of music (while Midgard literally only has two tracks). Plus the way he describes her... I cringed when he said that the opening from Bayonetta was iconic.

Plus Bayonetta really didn't deserve her spot. Both of her games were financial bombs and the creator of the series didn't even want her in originally. And when she finally did get in he referred to the fan base as, "Smash idiots."

Last edited:

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
Maybe it's just me, but I feel like Sakurai had some type of bias when making Bayonetta. Cloud, one of the most iconic video game characters in history, only got himself and a stage (plus mii costumes...).

Bayonetta got a stage, herself, several trophies, and tons of music (while Midgard literally only has two tracks). Plus the way he describes her... I cringed when he said that the opening from Bayonetta was iconic.

Plus Bayonetta really didn't deserve her spot. Both of her games were financial bombs and the creator of the series didn't even want her in originally. And when she finally did get in he referred to the fan base as, "Smash idiots."
There are a lot of points one could argue with regarding her inclusion, but she's already in the game, so all of that arguing is kinda moot.

The only thing that I will point out though that I think the majority of us can agree upon is that we suspect there was "foul play" regarding the ballot, but again, it's pointless to argue about this.

With that said, personally, I have nothing against Bayonetta and I am looking foward to playing as her even though I don't know jack about her or her games.

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
Yeah, same here. I'm also have trouble using Finishing Touch. I get hit out of it during startup, and it's not really reliable as a punish from shield. Imo LB Cross Slash and LB Climhazard outclass it terms of useability
I've had the most success with Finishing Touch through covering landings. But I agree; I don't use it as much as I feel like I could. I don't use LB Climhazzard enough either.

When are the best opportunities to use normal Cross-Slash? Without it doing that much knockback, I really only find myself using it as a pivot keepaway attack. I often forget I even have it as a move when I'm not in LB form.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
I for one am glad that they used his Japanese voice actor. I can't stand him in the dubs.

Smooth Criminal
I'm pretty much the same way. Was not a fan of how he sounded in Dissidia at all, but he didn't sound too shabby in the Remake trailer

I love Takahiro Sakurai's Cloud but I know a lot like Steve Burton's Cloud too

edit: the best solution would be having both EN/JP available to choose from but that'll never happen

Last edited:

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue

If you look at Ryu, who is also a third-party DLC character, he has "just himself" and a stage, and while there are six tracks, they're all variations of two different tracks (Ken's Stage and Ryu's Stage). The only other trophy he received was a Ken trophy and the only Mii Costume he got was that one dude (I'm not sure that I'd count Heihachi). Cloud is very similar to Ryu in this regard.

Bayonetta isn't even a third party character anymore. More like second-party. There were probably licensing issues with Cloud's addition that weren't present with Bayonetta.

-m0

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-6905-2845
I've had the most success with Finishing Touch through covering landings. But I agree; I don't use it as much as I feel like I could. I don't use LB Climhazzard enough either.

When are the best opportunities to use normal Cross-Slash? Without it doing that much knockback, I really only find myself using it as a pivot keepaway attack. I often forget I even have it as a move when I'm not in LB form.
I use Cross Slash a lot. I've been using it as a punish from dash; with Cloud's insane DPH, it can do like 18% fresh. Sometimes I'll also just throw it out like you would with say, ftilt or jab. Don't forget you can dthrow into cross slash and DA for good damage.

Question: What's Cloud's best shieldbreak punish below Finishing Touch's KO percent? I'm thinking fsmash, cause it does a ton of damage and kills very early, but I've seen some people using LB Cross Slash.

EDIT: Also, you can do Nair into Cross Slash and DA

Last edited:

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
I use Cross Slash a lot. I've been using it as a punish from dash; with Cloud's insane DPH, it can do like 18% fresh. Sometimes I'll also just throw it out like you would with say, ftilt or jab. Don't forget you can dthrow into cross slash and DA for good damage.

Question: What's Cloud's best shieldbreak punish below Finishing Touch's KO percent? I'm thinking fsmash, cause it does a ton of damage and kills very early, but I've seen some people using LB Cross Slash.
FSmash seems to be far more powerful than LB Cross Slash tbh. I don't really see how you could go wrong using that as your primary shield break punish

EDIT: A fully charged FSmash kills Dr. Mario from the reset position in practice mode at 40%. 70% for LB Cross Slash

Last edited:

Gimmick

Smash Ace
If you look at Ryu, who is also a third-party DLC character, he has "just himself" and a stage, and while there are six tracks, they're all variations of two different tracks (Ken's Stage and Ryu's Stage). The only other trophy he received was a Ken trophy and the only Mii Costume he got was that one dude (I'm not sure that I'd count Heihachi). Cloud is very similar to Ryu in this regard.

Bayonetta isn't even a third party character anymore. More like second-party. There were probably licensing issues with Cloud's addition that weren't present with Bayonetta.
Except those tracks were varied enough that my ears didn't bleed from hearing the same two tracks over and over again. They aren't even remixes. They're literally just ripped music. The couldn't at least get One Winged Angel or Bombing Mission (which was featured in his actual trailer)? Plus Ryu came from company that already received a rep and dozens of mii costumes. Cloud is representing a company that's getting it's first rep in smash. The two aren't that comparable.

No... Bayonetta is owned by a different company which makes her third party. Going by that logic Ryu is now a Sony character.

Last edited:

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
Except those tracks were varied enough that my ears didn't bleed from hearing the same two tracks over and over again. They aren't even remixes. They're literally just ripped music. The couldn't at least get One Winged Angel or Bombing Mission (which was featured in his actual trailer)? Plus Ryu came from company that already received a rep and dozens of mii costumes. Cloud is representing a company that's getting it's first rep in smash. The two aren't that comparable.

No... Bayonetta is owned by a different company which makes her third party. Going by that logic Ryu is now a Sony character.
Oh yeah, true. I thought she was acquired by Nintendo because of Bayonetta 2 being WiiU only. My mistake

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Well I needed another blondie to play. Hello, Cloud

(boo no purple cloud :( )

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I am 95% positive that I am going to secondary Cloud. Despite it being two days, I have been doing pretty well with him and he clicked with me faster than any character that isn't Luigi.

Corrin says hi.
I meant Sephiroth could possibly outrange Shulk in all of his moves. They emphasize that the range of his sword in most of his artwork.

I for one am glad that they used his Japanese voice actor. I can't stand him in the dubs.

Smooth Criminal
I was a bit nervous if he did get an English voice. His voice acting in Dissidia was just boring and monotone. Also count the times he pauses or when he says "doubt" or "regret":
I know Cloud is supposed to be brooding, but come on. He sounds pretty good in the FF7 remake, however.

I feel completed to post this...
That is sadly hilarious. I wonder what the rest of the dialogue is like...

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
-m0 -m0 : I thought I'd try my hand as a Cloud main. I'm going to give it another week of playing as him before I write him off, but yeah, I typically main Ike.

Cloud feel's too floaty for my liking and I suppose I'm more accustomed to fast fallers. In spite of my mixed feelings toward him, I think Cloud is fun and I really want to main him; FF7 is my favorite video game of all time and it feels disappointing to know that the badassery of Cloud simply isn't meshing with my play style, but we'll see within a week.
He didn't mesh well with mine either. I mained Link since 64 so I naturally play very defensive but Cloud's not really like that so it was a tough transition. I'm decent with him now though. Keep trying. Eventually the recovery doesn't even get you that much. I've learned to recover high and drop down on the ledge snap with Braver. Works like a charm.

But I do get what you mean, his recovery IS terrible lol. But then again every other option he has is amazing.
----------------------------------

Anyway, I'm hearing FF15 will be coming out possibly this summer. Anybody hyped for it? I personally enjoyed the demo a lot and I feel the game has some amazing potential. It's got extremely incredible music that will surely be memorable. The plot is very interesting and the world itself takes on a very "earth based" setting. Noctis also seems like he could be a well developed character. And of course, it's open world (yay!). Anybody else feel this game has a lot of potential?

Dark Dire Wolf

Smash Journeyman
On the fence about getting Cloud. How unique is he and what do you guys think his optimal playstyle is?

Moorthen

Smash Apprentice
I don't own a PS4 or Xbox One, but FFXV looks really cool. I didn't care about it back when it was Versus XIII, but now that they've been releasing all these tidbits of info about it, I've gotten excited.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
I don't own a PS4 or Xbox One, but FFXV looks really cool. I didn't care about it back when it was Versus XIII, but now that they've been releasing all these tidbits of info about it, I've gotten excited.
I've been following FF15 since it was Versus... soooooo going on 10 years now! Lol back then I always said this might actually be the game to beat FF7. Now I've been doubting it. But still, if there's any Final Fantasy that has that potential, it could be this one.

Then again, with FF7R coming out, it could very well wipe FF15 off the face of the earth.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Holy **** Cloud is fun as **** to play as. What's everyone's favourite move to kill with? Mine's Climhazard, though I don't know the kill percentages. Cloud is honestly one of the most fun characters I've played with in a while. My friends think his Limit Breaks are OP even though you can shield freaking Finishing Touch

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Holy **** Cloud is fun as **** to play as. What's everyone's favourite move to kill with? Mine's Climhazard, though I don't know the kill percentages. Cloud is honestly one of the most fun characters I've played with in a while. My friends think his Limit Breaks are OP even though you can shield freaking Finishing Touch
Well apparently it's not hard for enemies to block instant death effects. Who would have known?

I also felt like the move doing only 1% represents the all-or-nothing nature of instant death moves in RPGs.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Well apparently it's not hard for enemies to block instant death effects. Who would have known?

I also felt like the move doing only 1% represents the all-or-nothing nature of instant death moves in RPGs.
Cloud's Limit Breaks can easily be shielded, or in Beam Blade's case, reflected, they don't do much shield damage either

Moorthen

Smash Apprentice
I've been following FF15 since it was Versus... soooooo going on 10 years now! Lol back then I always said this might actually be the game to beat FF7. Now I've been doubting it. But still, if there's any Final Fantasy that has that potential, it could be this one.

Then again, with FF7R coming out, it could very well wipe FF15 off the face of the earth.
I guess we'll have to wait and see. Although the Remake is looking to be amazing with everything they're doing with it.

My favorite move to kill with is F-Smash. I keep getting shocked by how strong it is. I also like his Up-Air.

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
Cross Slash is possibly mine, and getting those non teched LB CS stage spikes are very satisfying. FAir would probably be my second.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
I guess we'll have to wait and see. Although the Remake is looking to be amazing with everything they're doing with it.

My favorite move to kill with is F-Smash. I keep getting shocked by how strong it is. I also like his Up-Air.
I agree. I love how FF7R looks but literally the only thing I'm concerned with is its episodic release plan. For an RPG that focuses on character development through leveling up and equipment and such, it's hard to imagine being limited to potentially a 3rd of the game.

But, going back to FF15, it at least seems to be looking up. The combat has me worried, but it can't be all bad. It just looked very heavy and sluggish, as opposed to FF7R.

....Which is funny considering Cloud's the one that carries a heavy sword lol

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
Sonic main here. Enjoying cloud quite a lot! How well do you think he'd mesh with a Sonic/Kirby main such as myself?

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
So just a moment ago, I discovered that Marth's counter does not work on LB Blade Beam.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Hit and run and juggles. He's very very ZSS-like to me.
This. Cloud's emphasis is not on going in (hence why a lot of people think he's underwhelming. He's very unorthodox for a sword).

Instead you chip away at them, run away and charge limit to grief them, this works ESP. well on Platform stages, and they have to come at you. Once you hit full limit your mobility and mixups get stronger and you get very powerful kill options as well.

Basically you camp and run away, pick your battles wisely. Also aim to kill off the top as much as you can. And friendly advice, DI up and your recovery woes will be a little less prominent, master the vertical reach of non-limit climhazzard and of course spam aerials for coverage (Nair mostly).

I think he's solid, I had an idea of where relative to the roster but my opinion changes so much. He literally can not be bad though, that's something I can conclude.

BusterWolf

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-6264-8715
This is what I think about every time I do Cloud's uair:

Last edited:

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
Well, my thoughts on Cloud's implementation:

Overall: Amazing; the Midgar stage's visual look breathtaking, and Cloud just seems so sleek in combat, dialogue, and movement! If Link or Roy weren't playable, I have a feeling that Cloud would definitely be my main at this point, if not Shulk or Ike..!
Final Fantasy Music (only 2 songs out of many): -_- NO, JUST NO.. Surprised at what happened with the Final Fantasy fanfare..
Cloud's Voice (elaborated): The lack of an English voice is just frustrating, and I hope that budget concerns were not the result..
Cloud's 8 Alternate Costumes: 50% of them are excellent. The other 50%, not so much.. The red/pink ribbon and the other SOLDIER-Class outfits were surprises..

----
Cloud's promotional Super Smash Bros. 4 poster: Utterly amazing; I love the Tetsuya Nomura/Kingdom Hearts-ish art style!

Midgar Stage: The Midgar stage looks amazing both in visuals and fun factor; no major complaints! The 2 issues I have with the stage, though, are that I wish that Summon Materia was toggleable in the "Item Switch" screen, and I wish that the default platform/structural layout (regardless of the numerous other layout-altering happenings that occur on the stage) did not mimic Battlefield; even using the platform layout of Super Smash Flash 2's Lunar Core would be distinctive enough..

"FF" Universe Emblem/Series Symbol for Final Fantasy series: And I thought that we couldn't get any worse than Street Fighter.. :urg: I wanted a crystal symbol (since it seems to be the one thing that is largely consistent across Final Fantasy games).. I lowered my expectations and expected a "Final Fantasy 7 meteor" symbol despite the slight similarity to the EarthBound/Mother symbol (given how Cloud's reveal specifically indicated "Super Smash Bros. x Final Fantasy...7").. And the Super Smash Bros. 4 developers couldn't even meet that concept (although I'll excuse them if the series symbol decision was from Square Enix)! :facepalm: Yeesh; I know what the Final Fantasy font/logo looks like already (the symbol looks especially ridiculous on this page).. At least Bayonetta's series managed to get a proper pictorial symbol.. But yeah, the Street Fighter and Final Fantasy "series symbols" of "SF" and "FF", respectively, are the worst ones so far, sorry to say.. :c I mean, even the fan-game Super Smash Flash 2 managed to provide Final Fantasy with an excellent crystalline series symbol!

Regarding "just letters" symbols, at least the Donkey Kong and Wario series have the advantage of actually bothering to stylize their logos (with the Donkey Kong "DK" symbol actually cameoing on barrels and the Wario "W" symbol actually cameoing on Wario's hat).. To my knowledge, the Street Fighter and Final Fantasy letters typically don't really do that kind of cameoing..

Last edited:

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
So far, the only character I consistently struggle against as Cloud is... Cloud.
I've been smiting Sheiks and ZSS's left and right.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
This is what I think about every time I do Cloud's uair:
It's freaking awesome that you reminded me of RK, now I won't be able to NOT see Ryuu Sho Tsen when I Uair as Cloud.

Instead you chip away at them, run away and charge limit to grief them, this works ESP. well on Platform stages, and they have to come at you. Once you hit full limit your mobility and mixups get stronger and you get very powerful kill options as well.
So basically... Turn based attacks, just like the source material? :D Awesome!

And yeah, that's sort of how I play him. Although I do try some follow ups if I deem it possible. Otherwise... Back away and charge LB.
Which btw, I suck at connecting Finishing Touch. :urg:Anyone got any tips to land it? (Other than punishing rolls, maybe?)

Moorthen

Smash Apprentice
For Glory teams are filled with Clouds lol. Many times, for me, it's been Cloud and Cloud vs Cloud and Cloud. :4cloud:

I agree. I love how FF7R looks but literally the only thing I'm concerned with is its episodic release plan. For an RPG that focuses on character development through leveling up and equipment and such, it's hard to imagine being limited to potentially a 3rd of the game.

But, going back to FF15, it at least seems to be looking up. The combat has me worried, but it can't be all bad. It just looked very heavy and sluggish, as opposed to FF7R.

....Which is funny considering Cloud's the one that carries a heavy sword lol
I have faith that they'll do the remake right. Square-Enix has said that each part will have the content of a full game. I wonder if that means that each part will be treated as a separate game and your stats don't carry over. There's also the fact that "full game" could mean a variety of different things. But, I will remain optimistic that each part won't be short.

That does sound worrying. A problem I'm having with Crisis Core is that it just feels too sluggish. I'd have to get my hands on FFXV to really get an opinion on it, though.

VPTurnip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Turnip
3DS FC
0920-3141-8524
Going off of Dissidia, he could be a multi-hit-only character which would be neat since there isn't a character like that where almost all their moves are multi-hit.. :p
Except Bayo when she comes out. Gonna be a multi-hit machine.

So far, the only character I consistently struggle against as Cloud is... Cloud.
I've been smiting Sheiks and ZSS's left and right.
How'd your first Cloud match go, by the way? You said you were worried about it.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I'm back with good news!

I'm sticking with cloud. He's finally starting to click. I just needed to work on my ground game. He's incredibly fun and I don't think I'll let him go anytime soon.

Dual maining him with Corrin come February :D

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Hope everyone's having fun with Cloud...I know I am...

Cloud dittos with my Smash buddy when this happened...
It was pretty hilarious at the time...I was the AC Cloud btw...

Top Bottom