• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social 7th Heaven - Cloud Social Thread

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
This. Although I don't think a move should be nerfed in exchange to have it work as intended.
Off topic, anyone else struggle in the Link mu?
From what I can infer, I haven't played the MU myself but a big difficulty is dealing with bombs. I think optimal stage choice here is key, if you can hit Link and start juggling him I imagine it gets significantly easier.

I can't see this MU being a large struggle, it's definitely not free in all likelihood but abuse your mobility and really nasty autocancel windows (ESPECIALLY WITH DAIR).

Fullhop Autocancel Dair is incredibly important. Abuse this, good lord abuse it. Any character with poor/lacking OoS options that don't knock away or provide amazing coverage don't really have a largely reliable answer to this move if you crossup with it IIRC, I saw it happen to Macho when Komorikiri played against him.

I only recently really invested in Cloud's Dair and practicing with it but I'm seeing it as an incredibly pivotal tool that should be abused and looked into, it's incredibly strong, especially while you're being juggled as well. Despite its kinda slow startup, the range is commendable and you cover yourself vertically quite well.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
From what I can infer, I haven't played the MU myself but a big difficulty is dealing with bombs. I think optimal stage choice here is key, if you can hit Link and start juggling him I imagine it gets significantly easier.

I can't see this MU being a large struggle, it's definitely not free in all likelihood but abuse your mobility and really nasty autocancel windows (ESPECIALLY WITH DAIR).

Fullhop Autocancel Dair is incredibly important. Abuse this, good lord abuse it. Any character with poor/lacking OoS options that don't knock away or provide amazing coverage don't really have a largely reliable answer to this move if you crossup with it IIRC, I saw it happen to Macho when Komorikiri played against him.

I only recently really invested in Cloud's Dair and practicing with it but I'm seeing it as an incredibly pivotal tool that should be abused and looked into, it's incredibly strong, especially while you're being juggled as well. Despite its kinda slow startup, the range is commendable and you cover yourself vertically quite well.
In most matches, the Links I've played just shield and punish with Dsmash (why in the name of the Lifestream does that move have so much knockback?!) At range, Blade Beam is just a little too slow for the barrage of projectiles Link has at his disposal. It's one of Cloud's worst MUs, imo.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
In most matches, the Links I've played just shield and punish with Dsmash (why in the name of the Lifestream does that move have so much knockback?!) At range, Blade Beam is just a little too slow for the barrage of projectiles Link has at his disposal. It's one of Cloud's worst MUs, imo.
Dunno, I'd have to play it to find out myself if my opinion was similar, I can only speculate based on what I've seen. I feel like Cloud has the mobility to make this MU fairly workable so long as he plays really conservatively.

Last edited:

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Optimistic me asks for two buffs to Cloud in the next patch in February.

#1 - Non-Limit Climhazzard auto snap earlier on second part much like Ike's Aether.
#2 - Super Armour on the start-up of Finishing Touch.

The move is really slow and literally can be stuffed by anything and EVERYTHING. The power behind it is just fine considering Cloud won't be at 0% all the time and that means any on him amplifies the power of that move big time. I can live without the first one, but a Finishing Touch buff would be great.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
I think it's important to be careful about buffing Finishing Touch. Cloud has legitimate KO confirms into it.....

That being said, all I really want is a DSmash fix lol. It'd be nice to have for FFAs and for 1v1s.

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597
I usually have a somewhat hard time dealing with Link when i use Cloud but i manged to beat my friend's Link and even beat my severely over powered Link amiibo. Although he is hard to approach once you get close enough to combo him it's not that bad i have a harder time facing fast characters like shiek, Fox/Falco etc...

D

Deleted member

Well... I did it. I am finished with Disc 1 of FF7.
The Temple of the Ancients was annoying. Not only could I not switch out party members, but I barely use Aerith. The bosses were also tough, especially the Demon's Gate.

Cloud is pretty messed up in the head it seems... like he doesn't know who he is... it should be interesting to find out what happens...

I finally made it to the last area in Disc One... The Forgotten Capital. There are no enemies whatsoever, but I have to get to Aerith...
As most of you know, she dies here. Even nearly 20 years later and even though it was spoiled to death, this is by far one of the most sad moments in gaming history and I see why. It's not simply because "I lost a party member" or "I lost my healer", you lost a great character. You were invested into her story and felt sympathetic for her; you grew to love her personality. And, to see her taken away from you... it hurts.
Cloud's emotions and reactions are pretty human as well; it's like we are seeing who he really is. He should feel sad and he should feel angry over what happened. Still... he is like a puppet to Sephiroth, especially with what happened at the Temple of the Ancients.

Now... the journey must continue... without Aerith...

I think I'll need to level grind, however. The boss at the end almost annihilated my team. Cloud is at level 39 and the rest are around level 32-35. I need to get up to 50 or something...

As for Cloud buffs...
I say that his down smash should link better (I feared that it would be like Duck Hunt's smashes), Cross Slash being harder to SDI out of (Bowser should not jump from it...), buff Finishing Touch by making the startup lag shorter, fix his throws, and have Cloud autosnap the ledge with his up B.

Last edited by a moderator:

-m0

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-6905-2845
Okay, serious question. I feel that this may have already been discussed, but since we have at least one more balance patch coming out, do you think Cloud might get buffs, nerfs, or remain unchanged the next patch?
I think he SHOULD get buffed, but I don't think that he will. Things like CS not linking/killing and Climhazzard not snapping I feel are intentional to emphasize how much better the Limit Break versions are than the defaults. However, people teching in between dsmash should be fixed. Mii Gunner has this problem as well, but they've managed to make it at least manageable by not telling people about it. So I suggest that we keep this between ourselves.

Last edited:

Hanku Hirru

Bringing the Propane
NNID
Dirk_Tan
I foresee receive minor damage buffs/nerfs along with some frame data tweaks in Cloud's future, but nothing substantial to his move set. Hopefully, his down smash (this has become a recurring complaint) will be impossible to tech, but it's a pipe dream. I feel like what we're seeing is what we'll be getting from here on out.

Oh, and to chime in on the wondrous Dair autocancelling shenanigans -- if you plan to play Cloud to his full potential, abuse the **** out of this. As TTTTTsd TTTTTsd mentioned, characters with poor OoS options are going to rue the day the developers didn't give them better attacks. It takes away a large chunk of Cloud's landing lag and opens the door for a plethora of punish tools.

Last edited:

-m0

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-6905-2845
I foresee receive minor damage buffs/nerfs along with some frame data tweaks in Cloud's future, but nothing substantial to his move set. Hopefully, his down smash (this has become a recurring complaint) will be impossible to tech, but it's a pipe dream. I feel like what we're seeing is what we'll be getting from here on out.

Oh, and to chime in on the wondrous Dair autocancelling shenanigans -- if you plan to play Cloud to his full potential, abuse the **** out of this. As TTTTTsd TTTTTsd mentioned, characters with poor OoS options are going to rue the day the developers didn't give them better attacks. It takes away a large chunk of Cloud's landing lag and opens the door for a plethora of punish tools.
Actually, I said stuff a bout FH AC Dair two pages ago. Somebody pay attention to me

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Guys, I would like to asks something to you.
I've just watched again the Final Presentation, and I've noticed how Sakurai really insisted on Cloud "being seemingly impossible" and defining his inclusion "a miracle".
I was wondering why...considering the few content we received, do you think that maybe Square Enix wasn't really cooperative? Do you know if they usually lend their IP easily?

Buckstrom

Futile. Futile! FUTILE!
NNID
Buckstrom
3DS FC
1650-4551-1475
Does anyone else use LB Climhazzard to kill off the top against 120%+ opponents? Especially on Town & City, so amazingly fast and not as punishable/more mobile than LB Cross Slash if you land on a platform correctly.

You don't even need a sweetspot if your opponent is in the air, just tap them with your Buster Expansion and bam they're dead :D

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Does anyone else use LB Climhazzard to kill off the top against 120%+ opponents? Especially on Town & City, so amazingly fast and not as punishable/more mobile than LB Cross Slash if you land on a platform correctly.

You don't even need a sweetspot if your opponent is in the air, just tap them with your Buster Expansion and bam they're dead :D
Bruh if I could, I'd always kill with LB Climhazzard

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
LB Climhazzard looks too cool to be as weak as it is compared to the other Limit Breaks.

Last edited:

Moorthen

Smash Apprentice
Guys, I would like to asks something to you.
I've just watched again the Final Presentation, and I've noticed how Sakurai really insisted on Cloud "being seemingly impossible" and defining his inclusion "a miracle".
I was wondering why...considering the few content we received, do you think that maybe Square Enix wasn't really cooperative? Do you know if they usually lend their IP easily?
This is what I think. It was probably very difficult to get Cloud in, so he didn't get much stuff.

Buckstrom

Futile. Futile! FUTILE!
NNID
Buckstrom
3DS FC
1650-4551-1475
ok this gfy shows about my worst gameplay ever BUT:

LOOK AT THAT RECOVERY: https://gfycat.com/ScalyAmusedBuck (fitting URL :p)

Cloud's airspeed is way too good. Combine that with magnet hands and saving your jump and you'll be giving villager a run for his money like HAWT DAMN out of the blast zone

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
ok this gfy shows about my worst gameplay ever BUT:

LOOK AT THAT RECOVERY: https://gfycat.com/ScalyAmusedBuck (fitting URL :p)

Cloud's airspeed is way too good. Combine that with magnet hands and saving your jump and you'll be giving villager a run for his money like HAWT DAMN out of the blast zone
Dunno, I played enough with Mewtwo to not find that impressive at all....
Dang, once I was playing doubles For Fun, got threw off the track in one of the segments where the platform is not moving on the F-Zero stage, went under the track and after I was very low underneath it I jumped, Teleported and still made it back....

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Dunno, I played enough with Mewtwo to not find that impressive at all....
Dang, once I was playing doubles For Fun, got threw off the track in one of the segments where the platform is not moving, went under the track and after I was very low underneath it I jumped, Teleported and still made it back....
I think this is fairly impressive for Cloud standards personally, it's just more cadence to the fact that you don't have to ride the ledge to recover with this character, and once people figure that out, we'll see more stuff with his recovery. Additionally Blade Beam and Side-B stalls but yea....

Insofar as Mewtwo is concerned he happens to have one of the better recoveries in the game so I'm unsurprised that happened haha.

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
I think this is fairly impressive for Cloud standards personally, it's just more cadence to the fact that you don't have to ride the ledge to recover with this character, and once people figure that out, we'll see more stuff with his recovery. Additionally Blade Beam and Side-B stalls but yea....

Insofar as Mewtwo is concerned he happens to have one of the better recoveries in the game so I'm unsurprised that happened haha.
Mewtwo doesn't have one of the better recoveries in the game tbh

Metallinatus

Smash Lord

Well it's not impressive if that's just how his recovery is lol
But the fact that recovery is so linear, predicable, doesn't auto sweetspot unless LB, and Cloud doesn't have absolutely any other option like Ike does, still makes his recovery terrible for a top tier (that is, if Cloud even really is a top tier).... the range his Up B reaches is just a small part of what a good recovery needs.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Mewtwo doesn't have one of the better recoveries in the game tbh
There are a few things that are arguable that Mewtwo does not possess.

Good recovery is something he does possess. He has one of the best airdodges in the game (well, it's around the level of G&W, Frame 2), really good aerial speed insofar as the speed he'll reach during his recovery (in the neutral it's not so much noticeable due to his low accel but when recovering he's in the air long enough to do so), the best teleport in the game with invincibility as early as Frame 9, which is the fastest of any Teleport in the game, and 2 different ways to momentum boost outside of his very high floaty double jump (B reverse Shadow Ball, Confusion which not only boosts his aerial momentum but is also a reflector and a command grab at the same time which is good for recovery! Now on top of ALL of this, Mewtwo can also wall jump. I think his recovery is EASILY in the upper half of the cast rank-wise. On top of the Frame 2 airdodge, it's invul from frame 2-24 and the FAF is Frame 29, meaning you have a total of 5 frames to punish it in spite of its speed. It's a REALLY, REALLY good airdodge.

Also I said "impressive by Cloud standards". I mean generally if you're launched horizontally you can DI up and stall like twice for free and/or throw out Nairs which have a better FAF than any Nair like them in the game. It's by no means amazing, I'd call his recovery bad, myself, but it's not incredibly terrible considering he has legitimate working recovery mixups/stalls. It's easy to miss this stuff though, 80% of the Clouds online have legitimately no idea how to recover properly.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I just got a JV3 on some Ike in For Glory! I impress even myself sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597
Completely off Topic but While practicing or playing with Cloud i listen to this and Kick so much ass with him

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
I love smooth McGroove
I love him as well.

I run a tournament here where I am and have been doing decently well with Cloud ever since he came out. I'm consistently coming in 4th, so I figure if I put a little bit more practice in I could possibly be a decent Cloud.

And the best part is I'm truly having fun no matter whether I win or lose. Cloud is a blast to play and he's fitting with me more that any character I've tried to main so far.

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
So I think I hit another point in my competitive play. Played against a guy earlier that played an admittedly bad Ike for two matches and played a decent Cpt. Falcon the rest. Doesn't sound like much, but when you're besting a lower skilled player (and being a good sport about it, giving GGs like I was) while learning a thing or two yourself, it feels good.
I love smooth McGroove
That bearded acapella singing man is magnificent isn't he?

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
When it comes to my progress with Cloud...

I'd say it's a good sign if my Smash buddy begins to fear my Cloud almost as much as he fears my Link...

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
There are a few things that are arguable that Mewtwo does not possess.

Good recovery is something he does possess. He has one of the best airdodges in the game (well, it's around the level of G&W, Frame 2), really good aerial speed insofar as the speed he'll reach during his recovery (in the neutral it's not so much noticeable due to his low accel but when recovering he's in the air long enough to do so), the best teleport in the game with invincibility as early as Frame 9, which is the fastest of any Teleport in the game, and 2 different ways to momentum boost outside of his very high floaty double jump (B reverse Shadow Ball, Confusion which not only boosts his aerial momentum but is also a reflector and a command grab at the same time which is good for recovery! Now on top of ALL of this, Mewtwo can also wall jump. I think his recovery is EASILY in the upper half of the cast rank-wise. On top of the Frame 2 airdodge, it's invul from frame 2-24 and the FAF is Frame 29, meaning you have a total of 5 frames to punish it in spite of its speed. It's a REALLY, REALLY good airdodge.

Also I said "impressive by Cloud standards". I mean generally if you're launched horizontally you can DI up and stall like twice for free and/or throw out Nairs which have a better FAF than any Nair like them in the game. It's by no means amazing, I'd call his recovery bad, myself, but it's not incredibly terrible considering he has legitimate working recovery mixups/stalls. It's easy to miss this stuff though, 80% of the Clouds online have legitimately no idea how to recover properly.
B-reverse Shadow Ball to recover isn't as good as it used to be, however it can be used to cover Mewtwo instead now.

The only real chinks in Mewtwo's recovery are losing his double jump below the stage (a wall jump can help here, though), and his sub-par standard ledge options (but it isn't hard to pressure people standing too close with ledge-drop DJ rising aerials/confusion).

Top Bottom