• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social 7th Heaven - Cloud Social Thread

HFlash

Future Physician and Sm4sher
NNID
HFlash
The only time I've ever felt even kind of dirty playing a character in any Smash game was Diddy pre-patch 1.0.6 for obvious reasons. It's one thing when a character is really good, it's another if you're also really simple (I'm talking 1+1=2 levels of simple) and doing d-throw>uair over and over again wasn't really all that fun and was kind of boring. Now that Diddy is a lot more fair, I use him a lot more and it feels a lot more satisfying playing a character that I grew up with that no longer is full of cheese.

Usually when I play a character a lot in any Smash game, they tend to have most of these traits, if not, all of these traits.
  • Aesthetics: I know this might sound strange to some people out there, but if a character I play as doesn't look right in my eyes, it can be a little distracting. Each Smash game has different aesthetics. If one character I play a lot looks good or at least alright in one game, but in another game that same character doesn't look right; I probably won't play that character much, if at all.
  • Unique move, moveset, and/or mechanics that appeal to me: It's always nice to have something to offer that almost, if not, no other character can do.
  • They feel natural: If you're forcing something to work, you're gonna have a bad time. Especially if the motivation isn't there as it will never click.
  • They can compete: I like to have fun, but I also want to win, and win in a legit way since I like competing and even more so if the other player(s) feel the same way I do. :)
  • A lot of nostalgic value: It's one thing to have fun and/or to win, but the amount of enjoyment and satisfaction you get when you do it with a character you grew up with during your childhood, teenhood, etc, is on a whole other level as you tend to have history and identification on your side. It's one of the biggest reasons, if not, the biggest reason we all play Smash even to this day.
If people don't like the fact that you're playing Cloud, they either need to pray for nerfs, learn the match up, or counter pick as Cloud does not win every match up. If they still can't do any of those things, then it's their problem and it shouldn't be yours.

Even though there are some moves and stats I would like to get buffed, nerfed, or changed because there are certain characters I like and don't like myself, I'm not going to be all sour grapes about it. That's just being a spoiled brat and that's not a good thing.

Last time I checked, Cloud isn't broken. Yes he is really easy to use, but he has flaws that can be exploited and his strengths aren't THAT overwhelming. This MIGHT be the only time that Cloud ever does appear in Smash considering how difficult it was to get him in Smash 4 compared to other characters. Play Cloud and play him to your heart's content. :)
Dude, never feel bad for playing a character. Sure, how good or bad a character is can have some effect on your results but ultimately, when two people play a tournament set, the better player will win 99% of the time ( or rather whoever played better during the set). If you enjoy playing cloud then play him. I personally play him because I used to love playing Marth back in Brawl, but due to the nerfs from Brawl to Smash (especially in Smash 4's release) and Cloud actually has the frame data and overall mobility to play aggressively. With Brawl Marth, agressively rushing in and aggressively spacing with fairs worked really well. With Cloud, the same can be done with dair and bair (and to some extent, even nair and fair). Sakurai refused to buff Marth to his former glory, so I am gonna stick to Cloud. Having to play a defensive, methodical method is just not for me, which is the optimal way to play Marth. Jumping around, pogo sticking, rushing in and mixing in empty shorthopping with shorthop aerials and tomohawks is so much more fun and rewarding.

If it makes you feel any better, people playing Sonic and Rosa get similar heat. True blue who is the best Sonic in my region (South Florida) made a pretty good post regarding this.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sordtp

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Dude, never feel bad for playing a character. Sure, how good or bad a character is can have some effect on your results but ultimately, when two people play a tournament set, the better player will win 99% of the time ( or rather whoever played better during the set). If you enjoy playing cloud then play him. I personally play him because I used to love playing Marth back in Brawl, but due to the nerfs from Brawl to Smash (especially in Smash 4's release) and Cloud actually has the frame data and overall mobility to play aggressively. With Brawl Marth, agressively rushing in and aggressively spacing with fairs worked really well. With Cloud, the same can be done with dair and bair (and to some extent, even nair and fair). Sakurai refused to buff Marth to his former glory, so I am gonna stick to Cloud. Having to play a defensive, methodical method is just not for me, which is the optimal way to play Marth. Jumping around, pogo sticking, rushing in and mixing in empty shorthopping with shorthop aerials and tomohawks is so much more fun and rewarding.

If it makes you feel any better, people playing Sonic and Rosa get similar heat. True blue who is the best Sonic in my region (South Florida) made a pretty good post regarding this.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sordtp
Yeah, Cloud is one of my solid sword main, I don't know why but Cloud just fits perfectly for me. I mean how he fights of course, I never really like to use projectiles that much and he has an awesome neutral game.

1=1?

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3755-0682-9476
I don't know I just spent an hour learning cloud and now I feel like I basically can't lose. People who I can tell are way better than me will be beating the piss out of me and then a couple moves later I'm winning. I'm sure at high level play he's balanced but at low to mid level he seems OP and the game shouldn't be like that. I feel like I have no choice but to main him.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I just use Cloud to cover assholes I find annoying as Kirby, like Mario, Sonic, and DK and that's about it. Lol

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
One thing that I think gets overlooked as to why we enjoy playing Cloud so much and just our favorite characters in general are the sound effects for moves.

Every time you hit someone with Cloud, you get to listen to a perfect combination of something meaty and slicing through metal. For some reason, it sounds so messy yet so clean at the same time.

I think an interesting comparison to Cloud's hit sound effects would be shooting a basketball through a net while getting the swish sound. Once you hear it, you can never get enough of it.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I'm 42 hours into FFVII and I just finished Part II. The scene with Cloud and Tifa was quite charming if you ask me.
Well, looks like all that's left for me to is going after Sephiroth.

D

Deleted member

I'm 42 hours into FFVII and I just finished Part II. The scene with Cloud and Tifa was quite charming if you ask me.
Well, looks like all that's left for me to is going after Sephiroth.
Just to let you know, and I have no idea if later ports fixed this (they probably did), but don't save in the Northern Cave until you are near the bottom (you will know you're close). If you save anywhere else, the only thing you will be able to do with your FF7 save file is fight Sephiroth for all eternity.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Just to let you know, and I have no idea if later ports fixed this (they probably did), but don't save in the Northern Cave until you are near the bottom (you will know you're close). If you save anywhere else, the only thing you will be able to do with your FF7 save file is fight Sephiroth for all eternity.
In other words, there's no going back?

ArcanaXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArcanaXIII
Preordered the World of Final Fantasy collector's edition, the figurines were too good to resist. I regret nothing.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Since this thread is my home, I figure y'all would be the first to know.

Today is a very special day for me that puts a smile on my face every year.
That's right, my fellow AVALANCHE. Today is my birthday. :)

And now, to spread the word on the other social threads I go to.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Since this thread is my home, I figure y'all would be the first to know.

Today is a very special day for me that puts a smile on my face every year.
That's right, my fellow AVALANCHE. Today is my birthday. :)

And now, to spread the word on the other social threads I go to.
Happy birthday!

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
So, I started yet another Playthrough on Final Fantasy 7. I just couldn't resist playing it again. I am proud to say that Final Fantasy 7 is the best game I've played in my entire gaming career. There hasn't ever been a game that I thought of nearly every single day. I could litterly write a book on my reasons as Final Fantasy 7 is the greatest game of all time... I think @-mo or Tino Tino mentioned something about alot of Pocket Cloud's or something. Am I the only one that gets 100% triggered by this!?!?! I doubt half of the people who use Cloud don't even know anything about the character or his game just uses him because he's good. I mean come on.. Cloud is good but, I don't think he's top 5 imo.. My rant is over and I shouldn't let it trigger me so much.

True Cloud mains are people who played the game... nuff said..

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Skyfox2000 Skyfox2000 I'm already considering replaying FFVII again just because of how amazing that game is. The more I played it, the more I keep thinking to myself, "I should've played this game a long time ago."

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
I don't think people play a character because they're good, otherwise people would play only top tier characters. I play cloud because he just....feels right I guess. He's a fun character to play as, and if I can play well competition-wise with him, that's just another bonus.

Tbh, I've never played any FF game, and I dislike RPG games as a whole. When I saw the cloud announcement trailer, I saw him as a Link+Ike kinda player. Then I started playing him, found I thoroughly enjoyed playing with him, and dropped Ike for Cloud as my main.
I did almost buy Advent Children from a goodwill once, but I didn't have the money on me and was just browsing.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Skyfox2000 Skyfox2000 I'm already considering replaying FFVII again just because of how amazing that game is. The more I played it, the more I keep thinking to myself, "I should've played this game a long time ago."
You definitely should replay it. I've always wanted to play it ever since I was real little and now I finally got to play it. I'm starting a 3rd Playthrough right now, I've got the PS4 and I going to get most of the trophies (I don't even think I can even beat Ruby or Emerald Weapon) All of my friends say I'm obsessed with the Final Fantasy series :smash:

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
Skyfox2000 Skyfox2000 When it comes to video games, music, food, etc, I've always felt kind of mixed on that specific subject of "X is the best" or "X is better than Y" because it can be too subjective at times. Instead, I tend to opt more for having favorites or least favorites since there are some games out there that I like that aren't quite as good as others out there that I've also played and it's all because I just might have a little bit more of an emotional attachment towards that particular game as opposed to the other. I know it sounds kind of stupid, but then again though. We are indeed human. That's not to say that all games are equal and can't be ranked above or below others because that's not necessarily the case. Mega Man X is one of the greatest SNES games of all time while also being one of my many favorite games that I've ever played while Mega Man X6 and Mega Man X7 are ******* disgraces to the X series.

As for the triggering thing, I've kind of got triggered recently about some people coming out of nowhere; joining the "Mega Man bandwagon" just because Kamemushi went on an insane run during EVO 2016 while pulling off footstool combos and finished 2nd out of over 2600 players. Now they think they can do the footstool combo too and get good just like him, only to realize that the blue bomber isn't braindead and decide to quit because of how complex this character is so I do kind of feel that since I've mained Mega Man way back during the 3DS days when a lot of people thought he was low tier or even bottom tier. Now he's considered really good in today's age. My tongue is in heaven right now.

Tino Tino I'm currently thinking to myself right now. "Why did I not grew up with this game and why have I still not played this game yet?" If only I had trees in my backyard that grew money or even better, trees that grew video games, consoles, and controllers so I wouldn't have to waste my time going out to a store or ordering online.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Tino Tino I'm currently thinking to myself right now. "Why did I not grew up with this game and why have I still not played this game yet?" If only I had trees in my backyard that grew money or even better, trees that grew video games, consoles, and controllers so I wouldn't have to waste my time going out to a store or ordering online.
Exactly, but today with the power of Internet, people don't really need to know the game by actually playing the game. We can just go to Youtube and watch let's play videos. Just take Overwatch for example, I had know and follow this game ever since it's beta access. However I still have yet to buy and play the game. Nevertheless I still consider myself a fan of Overwatch.

Puff-Senpai

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sam699
Playing Cloud is the funnest part of Sm4sh to me. I think if any character feels comfortable, Cloud is the most comfy to mess around with. I'm mostly on par with my friends, but when I pick up my Cloud, I pretty much get it all down, and wow does it feel amazingly satisfying. :4cloud: is my lord and savior, I do not regret picking him up, not one bit.When I do blue Cloud, I put in Lazuli but if I go black I go Berserker for my favorite manga (Berserk, heh) and it feels so good. I love Cloud.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Playing Cloud is the funnest part of Sm4sh to me. I think if any character feels comfortable, Cloud is the most comfy to mess around with. I'm mostly on par with my friends, but when I pick up my Cloud, I pretty much get it all down, and wow does it feel amazingly satisfying. :4cloud: is my lord and savior, I do not regret picking him up, not one bit.When I do blue Cloud, I put in Lazuli but if I go black I go Berserker for my favorite manga (Berserk, heh) and it feels so good. I love Cloud.
Just like how Mew2King used to say about Cloud, Cloud in Smash4 makes me love Smash4 even more.

And not so long ago I use my Cloud to beat my Lv.50 Mr.G&W amiibo, he has problem on dodging my Smash attack...

Speaking of amiibo, one thing I hope about Cloud's amiibo is that they make his buster sword's edge more realistic. With a metalic like paint job.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Sure, Cloud is "fun to play as" or "feels right to me" or "he fits my playstyle" or whatever but all **** ain't good enough for me. So, like any other new character I try out and enjoy, I want to play their game in order to get to know that character better. In this case, I enjoy playing as Cloud a lot that I want to play FFVII to get to know who he is as a character and what his background is. Now that I played the game and enjoyed it through the end, I now have more reasons to play as Cloud and therefore I ain't never dropping him. And if I liked playing as said character but could not play his or her game because I either could not find the time and effort to play it or didn't like it, I would have to drop that character. That's how I do it.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I finally got a PlayStation Vita for my birthday last week, but I have not been using it much because I didn't have a memory card for it until yesterday. Now I can finally get to play some PSone and PSP games on it but I don't know where to start.

And I decided I will start on my second FFVII playthrough this weekend, if not next week, since I don't really have anything else to do on my PS4. Definitely plan to put more time into it than in my first playthrough using everything I've learned and maybe this time, I get to recruit Vincent...or whatever his name is.
Wow, are you ****tin' me? I have got to get me that Cloud figurine in my shelf, he looks badass.
But why are they so goddamn expensive? Dx

ArcanaXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArcanaXIII
I finally got a PlayStation Vita for my birthday last week, but I have not been using it much because I didn't have a memory card for it until yesterday. Now I can finally get to play some PSone and PSP games on it but I don't know where to start.

And I decided I will start on my second FFVII playthrough this weekend, if not next week, since I don't really have anything else to do on my PS4. Definitely plan to put more time into it than in my first playthrough using everything I've learned and maybe this time, I get to recruit Vincent...or whatever his name is.

Wow, are you ****tin' me? I have got to get me that Cloud figurine in my shelf, he looks badass.
But why are they so goddamn expensive? Dx
On the Vita, I recommend FF IX, Parasite Eve, Corpse Party, and Persona 3 for starters.
And welcome to the life of buying high quality figures, my friend.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Quick question for a mod. Is it against the rules to quote something someone said in another forum in this forum?

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Okey-dokey, if you say so.
Yeah, people should just play who they want and not let others tell them otherwise.

I mean, I will literally never stop giving cloud mains crap for their character being so braindead easy to use (technically he's the new pay2win character now that bayo lost her death combos), but yeah, just do what you want to do!
I wouldn't say brain dead; he is simpler than Rosa or Olimar, but like some one else said, M2K, Tweek, and Max Ketchum don't just push buttons.

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597
Okey-dokey, if you say so.

I wouldn't say brain dead; he is simpler than Rosa or Olimar, but like some one else said, M2K, Tweek, and Max Ketchum don't just push buttons.
Funny how that works. I mean people use to say the same for Little Mac ( Spam smash attacks and win ), but I guess that seems to be the trend in the smash 4 community.

Prevaricator Faust

Smash Cadet
To be fair Cloud is pretty easy to use, but if people really think he's "Pay2win" then I encourage them to go Cloud in their next tournament and let us know how that goes.

Prevaricator Faust

Smash Cadet
Have you read his comment thoroughly?
To be quite honest;

1. My region isn't exactly great at Smash but there are some decent to good players,
2. I haven't played for 3 months, so I decide "let's go to this next monthly,"
3. I played Cloud since I was very rusty and didn't believe in my Fox,
4. I got 5th/50 entrants, playing mostly Cloud (in the end I did choose Fox for some matches though).

Granted, it's not like it was my first time playing Cloud, I was going by where I had left off. But I do agree that he's considerably easier to pick up (you should still practice though, you gotta do that with any character).
And your previous statement wasn't exactly the best choice of words either with that "Pay2win" comment.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Have you read his comment thoroughly?
You asked that someone go cloud in their next tournament, and it just happened that someone went cloud in a (monthly local) tournament after 3 months away from the game.

And your previous statement wasn't exactly the best choice of words either with that "Pay2win" comment.
If the shoe fits...

Prevaricator Faust

Smash Cadet
You asked that someone go cloud in their next tournament, and it just happened that someone went cloud in a (monthly local) tournament after 3 months away from the game.

If the shoe fits...
I can guarantee half the people talking ****, have never actually played the character. The reason you gave for giving Cloud mains crap is a very poor excuse to go around bashing the character or those that chose to main him. So what happens if Cloud got the same treatment as Bayonetta? what next you go calling Ryu OP because True Shoryu kills early? It's like an endless cycle in this community and it's sad.

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597
I can guarantee half the people talking ****, have never actually played the character. The reason you gave for giving Cloud mains crap is a very poor excuse to go around bashing the character or those that chose to main him. So what happens if Cloud got the same treatment as Bayonetta? what next you go calling Ryu OP because True Shoryu kills early? It's like an endless cycle in this community and it's sad.
No use getting worked up over it. People will always talk ill about the characters you play it's just how it is, but the best thing to do is ignore those kind of remarks.
In other news a character will be revealed on the 18th or 28th for the new Dissidia iirc.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Eh, I'm not gonna bother repeating myself why I like playing as Cloud.
If people want to be so hostile towards us Cloud mains with their bias or whatever, then let them. Ignore them and don't waste your time with them.

Prevaricator Faust

Smash Cadet
Eh, I'm not gonna bother repeating myself why I like playing as Cloud.
If people want to be so hostile towards us Cloud mains with their bias or whatever, then let them. Ignore them and don't waste your time with them.
You don't need to repeat yourself or even list off your reason for playing Cloud period. Everyone picks up/ mains a character for a reason whether it's because of tier placement ( which is stupid ) or because you enjoy playing said character or know the series they originated in. Like Rick said everyone is always going to talk **** about the character you play regardless which is why I never take those kind of individuals seriously to begin with.

Top Bottom