• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social 7th Heaven - Cloud Social Thread

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Cloud in Smash has also greatly increased my interest in the FFVII remake.
Same here. I even asked my boyfriend to get me Final Fantasy VII from PlayStation Network. I'll be playing it on my PS3 in the near future. ;)

That's how much Cloud got me hyped. Final Fantasy VII will become my third Final Fantasy game. I've played both SNES games on the Wii Virtual Console. :chuckle:

Last edited:

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
After the announcement on that day i had a sudden urge to replay FF7 or play Crisis Core. :p

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It's literally, "Come at me Bro!" in Japanese. hee hee hee :troll:

OH! looky what I found guys~

lol Kirby
The thing is that it probably will be. All SF music is pretty much the SF II version, save for a few remixes.
We can probably expect the same to happen here, other than possibly some main series staples like the main theme, the Chocobo theme, and so forth.
Where did it say exclusively FF7?

Would be a very missed opportunity to not have themes from other FF games.
The trailer said Smash X FFVII. With Street Fighter, no game was specified

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Something silly I just made lol:

Ever since the announcement my lil brother will point randomly at the sky here and there and be like "omg it's a newcomer everybody hurp derp!"
and I'm like, T__T ... I need to find an old copy of FF7 so you can finally play this wonderful game you twit...

He managed to beat FFX, and he's tried FFIX but he gave up saying it's too hard for him (he doesnt like the ATB gauge mechanics, says the computer is cheating that way lol)
I wonder if he could ever beat FF7 too??

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
At first I was pretty salty when he was revealed. But now I'm completely fine with him. I wonder what his newcomer artwork will reference. Definitely not the FF7 boxart as it only had Cloud on it.

Maybe the party group artwork.

Or maybe the Dissdia Cosmos group shot.

Last edited:

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Don't know if there are any official Litwick ones sadly. I did see a badass Mega Gengar though. But I want Aggron too
Litwick is official, at least in Japan ^^
I used to like Aggron back in RSE, but then I realized how bad a typing Rock+Steel is (best defenses in the game but a x4 weakness to both Fighting AND Ground!? No thank you~)
It's cool though his mega form is pure steel thou :)

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Now some of us were hyping but.

I think there's more hype on cloud than I though

B-but...where's GimR? ;-;
also my ex-bf hates FFVII and doesn't like Cloud. 'I NEED CLOUD' was the first thing he said to me after the direct
Did you break up with him because he doesn't like FFVII? Because that would be a perfectly acceptable reason in my social circle.

Last edited:

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Q.

When the Cloud trailer dropped and the first few notes played, who else felt like they were a kid again? I played FF7 in my youth so I got hit with a pretty big nostalgia bomb
When I heard the first few notes I immediately recognized it and thought: "Wait... FFVII? But there wasn't the Smash trailer opening? So is the 7 Remake coming to NX? Cool." And then the Smash Bros logo popped up and I actually cheered out loud. I really couldn't believe it for the first few seconds and went on just silently staring, mouth agape.
Only trailer that had a similiar effect on me was the Robin trailer. And while that one was technicly better with how it's paced, with the long animated scenes and it has the whole small storyline going on, Clouds just blindsided me so much that it blew me out of the water even more.

Last edited:

neohopeSTF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
abcdefgf
Switch FC
SW-0259-5915-4107
:snake: Metal Gear Solid (PS1)
:4sonic: Sonic Adventure (Dreamcast)
:4megaman: Mega Man 2 (NES)
:4pacman: Pac-Man (Arcade)
:4ryu: Street Fighter II (Arcade)
:4cloud: Final Fantasy VII (PS1)

Notice that the third party characters are based on their iconic game appearances. Also, the standards for third party characters getting in Smash are way stricter than the standards for Nintendo characters. The third party characters has to be the cream of the crop... the best of the best... they has to be some of the truly iconic characters in the history of video games.
Snake is more based on his MGS2 appearance really, just with the mgs1 support group. But all of the third parties really just take stuff from all of their games/appearances.

Last edited:

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
The only thing I kept saying when I first heard the music was

"No... no way... no it cant be.."
*smash logo x final fantasy 7*
"YUUUUUUUUUUSS!!!!!!!":colorful::chuckle::smash::rotfl::joyful:

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
When I heard the first few notes I immediately recognized it and thought: "Wait... FFVII? But there wasn't the Smash trailer opening? So is the 7 Remake coming to NX? Cool." And then the Smash Bros logo popped up and I actually cheered out loud. I really couldn't believe it for the first few seconds and went on just silently staring, mouth agape.
Only trailer that had a similiar effect on me was the Robin trailer. And while that one was technicly better with how it's paced, with the long animated scenes and it has the whole small storyline going on, Clouds just blindsided me so much that it blew me out of the water even more.
Same here. So glad someone else recognized the music. By the time Cloud actually appeared onscreen, the tears were already starting.
The rest of the time, I just kept screaming, "What? WHAT?!"

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Y'know what I find hilarious? No appearances of Cloud and the Buster Sword after Advent Children and Crisis Core featured the "ornate" Buster Sword. All other appearances just have the classic, plain Buster Sword. Well, it did make an "appearance" in Dissidia (2015), but I think they changed it back to the old Buster Sword and Lightning used the ornate version, but that's Lightning and not Cloud. Hell, even Tidus's Buster Sword - it was in the data files of FFX - and Gilgamesh's fake Buster Sword in FFXII was plain. It's kind of strange since there's not much of a change other than the hilt having gold clasps and the blade having some engravings. That it would imply that Cloud modified the hilt, wrecked the engravings, and then somehow returned it to it's "original" form in Advent Children... Continuity issues.

Last edited:

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
In Crisis Core, it's explained that the Buster Sword is actually an ornamental piece, not intended for actual combat.
It's a bit of a retcon, sadly.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Y'know what I find hilarious? No appearances of Cloud and the Buster Sword after Advent Children and Crisis Core featured the "ornate" Buster Sword. All other appearances just have the classic, plain Buster Sword. Well, it did make an "appearance" in Dissidia (2015), but I think they changed it back to the old Buster Sword and Lightning used the ornate version, but that's Lightning and not Cloud. Hell, even Tidus's Buster Sword - it was in the data files of FFX - and Gilgamesh's fake Buster Sword in FFXII was plain. It's kind of strange since there's not much of a change other than the hilt having gold clasps and the blade having some engravings. That it would imply that Cloud modified the hilt, wrecked the engravings, and then somehow returned it to it's "original" form in Advent Children... Continuity issues.

From what I thought, they might have intended all that "Wear, tear and rust" talk in Crisis Core was supposed to lampshade the different design, but it doesn't work considering the rusted Buster Sword in Advent Children also has the new design.

With Crisis Core in mind it would make sense for the Buster Sword to look a bit more ornate in that, considering how important is to it's plot, but I can see why people, especially Sakurai, would like to reference the original design.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
In Crisis Core, it's explained that the Buster Sword is actually an ornamental piece, not intended for actual combat.
It's a bit of a retcon, sadly.
From what I thought, they might have intended all that "Wear, tear and rust" talk in Crisis Core was supposed to lampshade the different design, but it doesn't work considering the rusted Buster Sword in Advent Children also has the new design.

With Crisis Core in mind it would make sense for the Buster Sword to look a bit more ornate in that, considering how important is to it's plot, but I can see why people, especially Sakurai, would like to reference the original design.
I know, but it's kind of weird how it flip flops in terms of design. Nothing was said about what Cloud does to the Buster Sword other than use it before and during Final Fantasy VII, so it's possible and not possible to assume that Cloud knew it was a decorative and decided to preserve some of the pieces that is ornamental which is just the hilt since he'd have to grind down the engravings which don't look that deep or anything.

So, Crisis Core which was made after Advent Children has the ornate design, Final Fantasy VII you could say hardware limitations prevented any intricate details, and Advent Children introduced the ornate design. Before the ornate designs, Final Fantasy X was supposed to feature the Buster Sword for whatever reason and used the classic design which is fine since the ornate design probably was never thought of. Then you have Final Fantasy XII and Dissidia featuring the classic design for the fake Buster Sword despite being released after Advent Children, but Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII uses the ornate design for the Cloud outfit and weapon DLC. AND then, Dissidia 2015 featured the ornate design before reverting to the classic design and I'm pretty sure the remake of Final Fantasy VII uses the classic design. It's inconsistent and in a very, very trivial way. It's not like if Nintendo couldn't decide if the Master Sword should be a sword like in Ocarina of Time or a longsword like in Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, and Smash. At that point, I think people just guessed that the Master Sword conformed to the current Link's preference or that Ocarina of Time Link was much, much taller than the other Links.

It's just weird how some minor decorations lead to inconsistent design for the Buster Sword. Not a big deal, but it's just weird when you notice it. What's a big deal? Blade Beam being an uppercut instead of a downwards slash. You could argue that Cross Slash being based on Chain Slash is a Crisis Core and Zack Fair reference, but not Blade Beam which has always been a downwards slash. This kind of makes Cloud the furthest from being true to his series unlike the other third-parties, Mega Man, Ryu, Snake, Sonic, and probably Pac-Man.

Last edited:

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
It's not like if Nintendo couldn't decide if the Master Sword should be a sword like in Ocarina of Time or a longsword like in Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, and Smash. At that point, I think people just guessed that the Master Sword conformed to the current Link's preference or that Ocarina of Time Link was much, much taller than the other Links.
I think as swordplay became more and more focal to the Zelda series, they just made the blade longer to facilitate easier combat.
The discussion as it relates to Cloud is moot to me since I'll be using the Cloudy Wolf (Advent Children) look almost exclusively.
And you can bet I'll be using the victory pose to close out every single match XD

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
What's a big deal? Blade Beam being an uppercut instead of a downwards slash. You could argue that Cross Slash being based on Chain Slash is a Crisis Core and Zack Fair reference, but not Blade Beam which has always been a downwards slash. This kind of makes Cloud the furthest from being true to his series unlike the other third-parties, Mega Man, Ryu, Snake, Sonic, and probably Pac-Man.
It's one tiny tweak, though. It doesn't completely ruin Cloud's authenticity anymore than, say, how Mega Man utilizes any of the stuff that he nabbed from the Robot Masters in his games. He should be a veritable rainbow every time he pops one of those suckers out, but he isn't.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Saw this earlier and just wanted to share is all

The kid in me is still giddy over seeing it a reality.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
It's just weird how some minor decorations lead to inconsistent design for the Buster Sword. Not a big deal, but it's just weird when you notice it. What's a big deal? Blade Beam being an uppercut instead of a downwards slash. You could argue that Cross Slash being based on Chain Slash is a Crisis Core and Zack Fair reference, but not Blade Beam which has always been a downwards slash. This kind of makes Cloud the furthest from being true to his series unlike the other third-parties, Mega Man, Ryu, Snake, Sonic, and probably Pac-Man.
Well, just like with the sword's design I feel this is a really small deal to get hung up about.
Small things about the moves may change or even be references to other things.

For one, there might have been a scene in Advent Children where Cloud uses Blade Beam that way, or maybe the designers just wanted to make the animation a bit more unique so it has an easier tell, as it seems to have a bit of a start up and another overhead swing could be easily confuse with some other attack.

And little things like that do change all the time. Dissidia didn't even have an aerial version of Meteorain until 012, and his Braver charge start-up was also clearly added for gameplay purposes and probably nobody was really bothered about it.

They added his spellcasting animation as a taunt, the intro video is full of references both mayor and minor (Cloud's motion sickness) and Cloud has his Advent Children alt. Clearly, somebody in the team cared about this.

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Hell, speaking of details, the part with Wario where he nabbed his bike? That could have also been a nod to both the bike minigame in FF7, and the fact that Cloud rode one in Advent Children. Just thought of that today when I was at work, hahaha.

Smooth Criminal

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Can't wait to prove those idiots at Death Battle wrong in the Cloud vs. Link debate...
I actually liked some of the setup (the Master Sword being strong against the Jenova cells in Cloud's body for example) but boy that ending was all kinds of wrong.

Wouldn't even have minded Link winning if it wasn't for a BS reason.

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
That Yang/Tifa fight, though. Really fun to watch, probably the best I've seen animation-wise out of Death Battle. I am surprised it didn't end sooner, and with a gauntlet-shotgun blast to the ****ing face, to boot. Our pugilist was out-anime'd from the get-go after all.

Mad salty that Tifa lost. Sniff. Yuffie will always be my FF7 bae, but Tifa's a close second.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
I actually liked some of the setup (the Master Sword being strong against the Jenova cells in Cloud's body for example) but boy that ending was all kinds of wrong.

Wouldn't even have minded Link winning if it wasn't for a BS reason.
But the Master Sword is the Blade of Evil's Bane. There's no reason the Jenova cells would react to that. And giving Link all those stupid abilities that he never had was complete and utter bs.
Off topic, could a mod please explain to me why the term "ball-ox" (if you know what I mean) is censored?

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Great... Thanks a lot, Sakurai. You made me love FF again. :( Been listening to FFVII soundtrack all day for the first time in years.

And now I'll inevitably love Kingdom Hearts again.

... and to top things off, I love Dragon Quest right now.

Square-Enix... you evil company... Well played.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I think as swordplay became more and more focal to the Zelda series, they just made the blade longer to facilitate easier combat.
The discussion as it relates to Cloud is moot to me since I'll be using the Cloudy Wolf (Advent Children) look almost exclusively.
And you can bet I'll be using the victory pose to close out every single match XD
Dude, have you seen the new footage of Zelda Wii U? Link's packing a two-handed sword. Compare with the E3 2014 demo: http://www.zeldadungeon.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/zwu-panorama.png. It makes total sense for mounted combat because of the range and the ability to use your horse's momentum, but a two-handed sword is not useful in enclosed spaces and what's usually enclosed? Caves, buildings, and dungeons that aren't like mini-towns like the Ancient Cistern in Skyward Sword. At this rate, Link's going to have a Master Sword that makes Sephiroth's Masamune look short. That being said, Link might have a pair of swords; one for ground use and one for horseback or we'll see the return of the ability to choose your primary sword/weapon, so not like an equippable Great Fairy Sword in Majora's Mask, choosing between the Ordon Sword or the Master Sword in Twilight Princess, or an equippable Skull Hammer in Wind Waker, but like in Ocarina of Time, the Oracle games, and something else I might be forgetting where you could choose if you wanted to use the Master Sword or the Biggoron Sword.

It's one tiny tweak, though. It doesn't completely ruin Cloud's authenticity anymore than, say, how Mega Man utilizes any of the stuff that he nabbed from the Robot Masters in his games.

Smooth Criminal
Eh, it's just weird since Smash tends to be very detailed even in weird things like nobody's really going to notice Lucina's Brand of the Exalt or how Captain Falcon's Blood Falcon alt has a Blood Hawk symbol on his back. At the same time, I don't see why Blade Beam wouldn't be a downwards slash. Were they afraid it would spike or something? Considering that sweep kicks like Ryu's launches people up, it shouldn't be an animation issue; it should just be pure hit angle numbers.

Well, just like with the sword's design I feel this is a really small deal to get hung up about.
Small things about the moves may change or even be references to other things.

For one, there might have been a scene in Advent Children where Cloud uses Blade Beam that way, or maybe the designers just wanted to make the animation a bit more unique so it has an easier tell, as it seems to have a bit of a start up and another overhead swing could be easily confuse with some other attack.

And little things like that do change all the time. Dissidia didn't even have an aerial version of Meteorain until 012, and his Braver charge start-up was also clearly added for gameplay purposes and probably nobody was really bothered about it.

They added his spellcasting animation as a taunt, the intro video is full of references both mayor and minor (Cloud's motion sickness) and Cloud has his Advent Children alt. Clearly, somebody in the team cared about this.
Like I said, it's just weird that Square Enix never really settled on the Buster Sword's design. It doesn't help that Cloud made several appearances unlike say, Squall or Tidus who made some appearances and their swords usually just get graphical updates and stick with that while Cloud's Buster Sword flip flops between classic and updated. Could you imagine if Nintendo couldn't decide if Mario's buttons should be gold or silver? It would be such a minor detail, but once you start noticing, part of you wants to scream: "JUST PICK ONE ALREADY!"

For Blade Beam, it just seems weird that a pretty iconic move is animated differently. It'd be like if Link's Spin Attack suddenly became much more tilted instead of parallel to the ground or if Ryu suddenly specialized in Shoryuken and lost all his Hadouken variants and stuck with a very vanilla Hadouken while Ken did the opposite.

Last edited:

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
My guess? It's to justify the startup frames. If he just had to drop the blade in a vertical swing, his startup would have to be much faster. But dragging a heavy blade through the ground? Makes the move much less spammable.
I'm not a mod, but

...it's kinda clear what "********" are alluding to. Es no bueno, apparently.

Smooth Criminal
But "expand dong" is rampant. I don't get it, lol.

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
...no, Ffamran, your comparison about Ken and Ryu is literally apples and oranges. You're changing core traits about their playstyle doing that (especially in the context of Street Fighter). This is clearly a matter of aesthetic/stylistic choice, to better fit into Smash Bros itself. I mean, you already know what it is, right? And the delivery is similar? Not like Cloud is shooting it from his eyeballs or something.

Also, about Link, he's a prime example of some animations that needed tweaked with time and advancement. He was literally a top when he did Up-B in the first game. Are you telling me that it should have stayed this way because of how it was animated in OoT? Or ALttP?

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
My guess? It's to justify the startup frames. If he just had to drop the blade in a vertical swing, his startup would have to be much faster. But dragging a heavy blade through the ground? Makes the move much less spammable.

But "expand dong" is rampant. I don't get it, lol.
Cloud didn't have much recovery with Blade Beam in Dissidia: https://youtu.be/bhzGyA-eHpo?t=57. He's not really slamming the blade down unlike Ike; he's just slashing down while a blade beam comes out. It also looks much faster than Final Fantasy VII, Advent Children, and Dissidia where Cloud charges it, slashes down, maybe leaves the Buster Sword down, and then picks it back up without much effort. Removing the charge could put it in the same speed as the uppercut version in Smash 4; it'd be like if he did his Ftilt or Fair/Braver.

...no, Ffamran, your comparison about Ken and Ryu is literally apples and oranges. You're changing core traits about their playstyle doing that (especially in the context of Street Fighter). This is clearly a matter of aesthetic/stylistic choice, to better fit into Smash Bros itself. I mean, you already know what it is, right? And the delivery is similar? Not like Cloud is shooting it from his eyeballs or something.

Also, about Link, he's a prime example of some animations that needed tweaked with time and advancement. He was literally a top when he did Up-B in the first game. Are you telling me that it should have stayed this way?

Smooth Criminal
Yeah, bad example using Ryu and Ken switching specializations. As for Link's Spin Attack, I meant if it tilted like DK's current Spinning Kong where he's spinning almost like a windmill if it was tilted... I really don't know how to properly word this. Still, it's just what's a minor animation question I want to know why was changed. It's not going to impact gameplay at all, but for people who've played or know what Blade Beam looks like in FFVII, it might make them question why it looks like that in Smash 4.

Top Bottom