• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

6-4 Matchup 27: - November 30th, 2013 - Toronto, Ontario, Canada

unknown522

Some guy
Unfortunately Ryan, it's not as simple as just keep working at it. Though you may think so, working at it without people practice is sorta moot.

<_< yeah Jack, except I can <_<. JACK.
Sure it is

it was cool meeting the great noah finally. who are all the members of NNR? wondering if there are still any i haven't met
you haven't met some of them still

:phone:

weon - X

Smash Ace
What's the difference between me and the rest? not much. I got good (granted not as good) but still decent. When I arrived to Canada I was pretty bad to be honest and lived pretty far. My house was in Newmarket which can be hard to get around if you don't have a car. 2:00 hours to get to David's house. 2:45 hours for Ryan's and 3:30 hours to get to Imadhs. I used to go a lot to I.B's. . I had a full time job for a while I was up there too. night shift. So yeah I also had some difficulties to get through when I wanted to get better

If you want to get good you gotta get over all the negativity. I also got 4 stocked like every time I played Ryan at the beginning so yeah. I had to deal with a lot of **** talk from Chilean players back when I started, but eventually I went back and ***** them.

I can understand people have lives obviously or just don't take the game as seriously, but then there's players that pretend they don't and they think its impossible to get good, I don't get it. why even get all frustrated over it?

Any ways I've been slacking lately for about a year. **** this **** gotta get back on it.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
If you wanna get better you gotta set goals, and if your goal is 6th on the PR, rather than 1st, then you should re-evaluate why you play this game competitively, because the point of playing something competitively is to be the best.

Alternatively, set progressing goals. Try to get 6th on the PR, then when you do that, go for 5th, then 4th etc etc

Windrose

Smash Lord
If only project m was exactly like melee. Then we could play each other online. But they screwed up.

Riddlebox

Smash Journeyman
Idk, pretty done with the conversation about improvements. Good-luck to those who can..just keep improving for the rest of us; sucks to those who have the heart but lack the means for now~ To those who have fallen off the face of the smash-earth, there's no reason you need to feel pressured to put so much into this? Especially if you have important things to deal with in your life (Jack).

weon - X

Smash Ace
lol not trying to pressure. more like a wakeup call. im not mad or hating on no one.

yup im dont with that conversation too

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
Care to explain why? >_>

It's not like you guys have put more effort than some of us into this...
Maybe I shouldn't speak for others, but I don't think I'll ever be able to catch up, practice or not. The amount of years you are ahead by... makes the learning curve of Melee seem impossible to climb.

But, but, you're right. I haven't done anything to improve, but I don't think it really makes a difference. I don't care if people consider this a negative mindset, I think it's realism more than anything.

sauc3

Smash Lord
i come to tournament with ben (meekspeedy), can anyone house us? i may actually practice before this too so *****es better watch out cuz the jank is a comin'.

in lieu of the recent converstation, i'd like to say that after seeing camilo go from (basically) nothing to nearly the best in our scene really ****s on everyone's idea of "can't make it past top 4 so fk'it i'll aim for 5th".

i liked to think i was on a similar path for a while when i took the game seriously, but mindset plays a huge role in getting better, and for all the up and comers, talk to cami about how he did it, cuz he clearly figured some **** out (or look at some of his motivational posts over the past year, i've been following them and they're really interesting and well written, the answers are there).

ends rant. looking forward to playing everyone again on fri/sat (if we can get housing o.O).

Bing

Smash Master
I find it difficult to stay motived when life gives you very little time to make it Toronto to play people. Niagara is dead lol. I still practice on computers and in training mood at home.

The thing that really kicked my confidence outside of not making bracket, losing the last spot in my pool to someone who didn't even show up for bracket on day two was a short conversation I had with David and Dylan. Being consistently told by someone you look up to that they have no faith that you will ever be good and always being told that your dumb really doesn't help my already lacking confidence.

Anyways im done *****ing, just wanted to get that off my chest.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I'm just gonna turn away questions from certain people henceforth because I don't think my teaching style or ideas about the game really mesh with them at all.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
Being consistently told by someone you look up to that they have no faith that you will ever be good and always being told that your dumb really doesn't help my already lacking confidence.
Damn, that's harsh. Personally, I would try even harder to get good just to prove them wrong.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Maybe I shouldn't speak for others, but I don't think I'll ever be able to catch up, practice or not. The amount of years you are ahead by... makes the learning curve of Melee seem impossible to climb.

But, but, you're right. I haven't done anything to improve, but I don't think it really makes a difference. I don't care if people consider this a negative mindset, I think it's realism more than anything.
You realize by saying this out loud to everyone you henceforth forfeit your right to rage when you miss bracket, right?

If you've done nothing, I don't see why you get mad when your placings reflect this.

Siiiigh.

Crooked Crow

You realize by saying this out loud to everyone you henceforth forfeit your right to rage when you miss bracket, right?

If you've done nothing, I don't see why you get mad when your placings reflect this.

Siiiigh.
I underperformed. I only drowned in pools once, at that large local. It was entirely my fault, and you are correct. It won't happen again.

Bing

Smash Master
Lol it wasn't you Dylan.

David, I don't expect you to be like "watch out for dis ***** bing, he's mad legit." Literally if you were ever like hesitant with "you could POSSIBLY make bracket" would be better. But anyways, sorry just when you said it, I was already low in confidence, to be Honest, I expected it from you.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I underperformed. I only drowned in pools once, at that large local. It was entirely my fault, and you are correct. It won't happen again.
Lol "I underperformed" and "It won't happen again"

Don't get too attached to your rank in this community, whatever it is. You think skill levels are static? You think more people won't pass you? :laugh:

Just don't get mad when it happens.

Bing, just don't ask me for advice or support henceforth. My view of the game and whatever clearly is not congruent with your view of the game and I'm really tired of offending you and needing to apologize. Just don't ask me. Ask others. It's really lame to ask me game questions when your views of... just about everything in this game including but not limited to skill... are basically the polar opposite of mine and they're basically guaranteed to cause some agitation or whatever.

Bing

Smash Master
Okay then lol.

For the record, you've never apologized to me, but whatever. Lmao I said what I wanted to say, you gave me your opinion. I'm over it. See everyone Saturday, I should be attending.

Crooked Crow

Lol "I underperformed" and "It won't happen again"

Don't get too attached to your rank in this community, whatever it is. You think skill levels are static? You think more people won't pass you? :laugh:

Just don't get mad when it happens.
What gave you this impression? I meant it "won't happen again" meaning I won't get angry if I don't perform well, due to the lack of time I invest.

Don't be so quick to jump to conclusions.

idea

Smash Master
OH HEY GUYS i have some opinions too :cool:

edit: as far as i can tell, what camilo did was 1. play everyone good all the time and 2. not really care too much when he wins or loses.

besides not practicing enough (harder to control when you live far), i think it's your mindset that gets in the way the most. i think you focus way too much energy on who you beat, and who you lose to. and more generally, your expectations of yourself. winning and losing are the tangible results of your skill level and practice and motivation. you should focus on those things. don't expect to beat people, ever, even when logically you know you can, and it'll probably help in the end.

what's the whole quote from that bruce lee movie? "It is like a finger, pointing away at the moon"...tourney results = the pointing finger. results only suggest, point at, improvement and skill. you should be looking at the moon itself.

:seuss:

also i'm pretty sure science has shown that overconfident people typically outcompete realistic ones :p

i can house you guys on friday :)

also maybe we should record someone doing a playthrough of something. that's always fun. or stream it. especially if you have a better mic by now than the one on your laptop.

lol i don't even know why you're not good yet, i was expecting it to happen at some point. i guess in your case it really is just insufficient practice. or maybe you have trouble extracting knowledge from your losses? i dunno.

as for david being so honest, yeah, that takes getting used to lol. but it makes it more sincere when one day he's like "hey kyle, you're pretty good at this thing" :bee:

and our community rarely vocalizes compliments. myself included. if someone has played you and thought "wow, that was a really good edgeguard/combo" they probably wouldn't have said it out loud.

Bing

Smash Master
I think its my vs people experience that is really holding me back. Like obviously I have work to do in general, but I mean, I SUCK defensively which is why I hate playing vs Falcon, falco and Peach. My performance at Impulse taught me a lot.

Like at home, there's no one to play really, so my mu experience is lacking.

Top Bottom