• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

5th BEST 2 - BIG FREE VENUE - May 4th, 2013 - Troy, NY

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
5th BEST Extreme Smash in Troy 2

May 4

Important notes:

BRING SETUPS

Prices: Singles are $10, and doubles are $10 per team.

Schedule: Melee will start before Brawl.

Where:

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Student Union in Troy, NY at the intersection of Sage Ave and 15th St.

Google Maps: "Rensselaer Union, Troy, NY"

From Boston: 3.25 hours.
From NYC: 3 hours.
From Rochester: 4 hours.
From Montreal: 4 hours.

The tournament room is on the second floor, in a large open central room called the McNeil room. There are four main pillars around the center of the room. This is visible from entrances on the second floor and directly behind the main entrance lobby (go up some stairs to enter the building rather than in a lower side door). This is the same room as that used for 5th and 8th BEST.

Venue pictures:

Google maps image. Most people will probably come from 7/Hoosick St.

Zoomed in plus parking. Green areas are definitely free, and parking meters do not charge on weekends.

This shows how the building appears from the intersection of Sage Ave and 15th St.

We can provide housing overnight if necessary. Contact us beforehand or post here.

Prices:

No venue fee
$10 Melee singles
$10 Brawl singles
$10 Melee teams (per team)
$10 Brawl teams (per team)

Payouts:

Singles:
1st - 55%
2nd - 30%
3rd - 10%
4th - 5%

Doubles:
1st - 60%
2nd - 30%
3rd - 10%

Schedule:

Registration for each event will go until the time listed, and then seeding/pool-making starts. Singles will include pools depending on total attendance.

9:00am - Venue opens
11:00am - Melee doubles
1:00pm - Melee singles
4:00pm - Brawl doubles
6:00pm - Brawl singles
12:30am - Venue closes

Melee Rules:

- Items off.
- 4 stock, 8 minutes.
- Team attack on.
- Ties are broken by lives then percentage. Percentage ties will replay the match with one stock on the same stage.
- Regular sets are best of 3 matches. Winners finals, losers finals and grand finals sets are best of 5 matches.
- Controller mods are banned.
- Stalling is banned. This includes any excessive use of tactics like rising pound and wall-bombing in order to deliberately delay the match.
- Glitches like the Ice Climbers' freeze glitch are banned.
- Wobbling is banned.
- Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: The loser cannot pick a stage he or she has won on in the set unless agreed upon by both players. Additionally, if both players agree to play on a banned stage, that stage may be played as well.
- Gentleman's Clause: If the two players and the TO agree on a change in a rule, like choosing a banned stage, they are allowed to do so. If there is no agreement, standard rules apply.

Stages:

1v1 Neutrals:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Dreamland
Yoshi's Story
Fountain of Dreams

1v1 Counterpicks:
Pokemon Stadium

2v2 Neutrals:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Dreamland
Yoshi's Story
Pokemon Stadium

2v2 Counterpicks:
None

Set format:

1. Blind picks: Both players select characters.
2. Stage striking: Players eliminate stages from the Neutral Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in a 1-2-2-1 order according to controller port number.
3. The first match is played.
4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage.
5. The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
6. The winning player of preceding match picks character.
7. The losing player picks character.
8. The next match is played.
9. Repeat steps 4-8 for all consecutive matches until the set is complete.

Brawl Rules:

- Items off and none.
- 3 stock, 8 minutes.
- Team attack on.
- If time runs out, if either player exceeds 50 ledge grabs, that player receives a loss. Otherwise the winner is determined by stock then percentage. Percentage ties will replay the match with one stock on the same stage.
- If the match ends with both players dying from a suicide kill (such as by Bowser or Ganondorf), the initiator of the move is declared the victor.
- Regular sets are best of 3 matches. Winners finals, losers finals and grand finals sets are best of 5 matches.
- Controller mods are banned. In addition, all people are responsible for their own control scheme/name tag and must make sure it is set before the match begins. Both players must agree to restart a match on account of a controller problem.
- Stalling is banned. Stalling is defined as any action that deliberately avoids all conflict as to make the game unplayable. Running from an opponent to get to a better position is not considered stalling, but using chain grabs infinitely against a wall beyond 300% or using Sonic's Neutral B repeatedly underneath the stage is.
- Scrooging is banned.
- Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: The loser cannot pick a stage he or she has won on in the set unless agreed upon by both players. Additionally, if both players agree to play on a banned stage, that stage may be played as well.
- Gentleman's Clause: If the two players and the TO agree on a change in a rule, like choosing a banned stage, they are allowed to do so. If there is no agreement, standard rules apply.

Stages:

Neutrals:
Smashville
Final Destination
Battlefield
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise

Counterpicks:
Pokemon Stadium 1
Delfino Plaza
Halberd
Castle Siege
Frigate Orpheon

Set format:

1. Blind picks: Both players select characters.
2. Stage striking: Players eliminate stages from the Neutral Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in a 1-2-2-1 order according to controller port number.
3. The first match is played.
4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage.
5. The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
6. The winning player of preceding match picks character.
7. The losing player picks character.
8. The next match is played.
9. Repeat steps 4-8 for all consecutive matches until the set is complete.

Attendance:

People

T.O. contact info:
Zaandaa/tiger10x (op)
Name: Adam
AIM: Zaandaa
Cell: 207-649-0605

Post here for assistance.

No_Skillz

Smash Apprentice
ill be there, so i can win the most amount of money from the 50 randoms like last time

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
Unless we get some significant attendance, I'm probably going to lower singles entry fees to $5 or take out teams. I want to know how many people to expect. Anyone with an opinion on lower entry fee or no teams should speak up. I know I like teams more than singles, but interest in it in my tournaments has fallen.

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
You guys will get to see my ZSS. How's that for exciting?

I would like teams to remain, so that I can at least win back some of my travel costs :).

BetaBahamut

Smash Journeyman
You guys will get to see my ZSS. How's that for exciting?
I play ZSS. Now that is whats really exciting.

Unless we get some significant attendance, I'm probably going to lower singles entry fees to $5 or take out teams. I want to know how many people to expect. Anyone with an opinion on lower entry fee or no teams should speak up. I know I like teams more than singles, but interest in it in my tournaments has fallen.
Entry is fine Im always behind lower entry most of the time. Teams I think you should play by ear if the teams are there for it do it if not drop it at the venue. This needs to be more attention. Imma try to convince dudu to come as well as convince Erk for us to go down there. All in all tho its zandaas last tourny up here we gotta make it

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
Will be attending for Melee, and I might bring P:M if anyone wants to have friendlies or whatever.

JKJ

Smash Ace
I should be coming to this. It'll be my first tourney out of my immediate community, mad hyped!

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Bad news guys. (not like you care)

Theres a bigger, better Marvel tournament going down in Toronto this weekend. And since Toronto is actually closer to me than Troy, I might have to give up the free money that this tournament was going to have for me.

My greed is telling me to come here and play Smash. My pride is telling me to go to toronto and play Marvel so I can get famous.

Decisions, decisions...

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
This weekend meaning the the weekend belonging to the tournament in question. Not this weekend refering to the weekend belonging to this current moment in time.

Spaghetti

Smash Apprentice
man i got into rpi but im not going to be in ny for this rofl

qq hold more brawl tourneys later this year pls

P0wderedM1lkMan

Smash Rookie
Awwww yeee im coming to Rensselaer next year, I'm so hyped that there is a smash community. Is this tourney monthly?

dudutsai

Smash Lord
I know this has been discussed before and people like the MK ban, but would it stop you from going to a tournament if he wasn't banned? I have a friend who wants to come but wouldn't if MK stays banned. Is it possible to change this, or is it set in stone?

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
I personally don't care because there isn't a good enough mk in the region to make a difference, unless your friend's a boss.

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
It doesn't look like there will be a good student turnout this time, so I wouldn't expect teams or people caring about MK ban. It'd be cool to see people again, but I can't guarantee many other people or housing.

To those two future RPI students, we have a Smash Club on campus that meets weekly and hosts these tournaments a couple times per semester. I've organized it, but I'm graduating, and no one is interested in doing this after me. We have a great venue, but the scene in upstate hasn't been enthusiastic for a while. All it takes is one RPI student to reserve the room and one person to post on smashboards and run brackets. TOing is so easy, but no one wants to volunteer.

icer18

Smash Rookie
Ithaca might come to this. Nintendude's gone, but there's still me, rykard, a peach player, and a samus player (all melee). Would be more likely to go if syracuse is going though.

Spaghetti

Smash Apprentice
It doesn't look like there will be a good student turnout this time, so I wouldn't expect teams or people caring about MK ban. It'd be cool to see people again, but I can't guarantee many other people or housing.

To those two future RPI students, we have a Smash Club on campus that meets weekly and hosts these tournaments a couple times per semester. I've organized it, but I'm graduating, and no one is interested in doing this after me. We have a great venue, but the scene in upstate hasn't been enthusiastic for a while. All it takes is one RPI student to reserve the room and one person to post on smashboards and run brackets. TOing is so easy, but no one wants to volunteer.
hey id be totally up for helping revive the scene at rpi if needed ;D

Top Bottom