• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

5 characters who never should have been in the Smash Bros series.

Dual Kirby

Smash Apprentice
well i agree with taking jiggly puff out and maybe at least one other pokemon... i mean isnt 6 characters from one series over doing it a little? Oh nothing against R.O.B but it was kind of...random

Myre

Smash Rookie
I think that the only reason to add another character is to give someone who plays differently a character that they can more closely relate to. Every character should have their own unique playstyle. That being said, characters that I think shouldn't be in SSB:

Dr. Mario
Ganondorf
Pichu
Toon Link
Young Link
And as much as I hate to say it... Roy (my secondary in Melee)

They all get the boot for cloning. You'll notice I didn't mention Falco, Wolf, Lucas, or Luigi. That's because although they do have extremely similar movesets, they play differently enough to warrant inclusion.

Falco's attacks hit opponents away a lot more than Fox's, whose attacks tend to keep foes closer.
Wolf just plays differently than the other two. He has movesets that are inspired by, but not cloned of, the other space friends.
Lucas can be related to Wolf; the moves are pretty close, but not really the same as, Ness's.
Luigi is to Mario as Falco is to Fox. More get-away, less stay-close.

All of the other characters are good to have in it, because it's nice to have as many playstyles as possible. However, I do think that some characters' movesets should have been given to other characters. The aforementioned Ike -> Ganondorf, for example.

I also think that in SSB64, Jigglypuff's spot should have been given to someone else. Again, it pains me to discount my main, but Pokemon already had a representative, and Kirby was pretty darn close to Jigglypuff. But from now on, I really hope the original roster stays in all the SSB's. Just because it.. should.

Scott!

Smash Lord
Poor Jiggly's getting a lot of hate in here. She may not deserve her spot anymore, but she's unique and has an unusual playstyle, meaning she's not a clone, and she is played in an atypical way from other characters. She's also one of the original 12, which I believe should guarantee status as untouchable in Smash. I would keep her in over all of the other Pokemon except Pikachu and maybe, maybe, PT, just cause he was such a brilliant idea. But I'd take Jiggly over Lucario, Mewtwo (!), and of course Pichu, though that's moot.

Also, Toon Link shouldn't get the boot; he should get decloned. It would be quite easy to finish decloning the attacks and to give him new specials. Also, in light of the Spirit Tracks trailer, train for Final Smash!

Mit

Smash Ace
*really old quote*

He makes perfect sense from the SSE story, and it's not suprising since he's been in the last two Mario Karts. You have to keep in mind that R.O.B. pretty much saved videogames after the Great Videogame crash in the 80's, and no I'm not joking.
That's a bit of a stretch. He was a marketing strategy to try and get certain people more interested in game consoles again, as comparisons to PCs were a contributing factor to the crash, but no, he definitely did not single-handedly save video games from that crash. The NES itself, and even Super Mario Bros., were more responsible.

As far as him being a character, the only reason I wouldn't think he should've been in is because there are people that are probably more deserving. He had one game, and is mostly just known by people aware of that era of gaming. Most younger gamers probably don't even recognize R.O.B. I guess Nintendo has started liking using him as a character though, what with his inclusion in Mario Kart games (which is a tad baffling to me, I don't believe R.O.B. or Gyromite ever had anything to do with Mario. Why not just throw some Zelda characters in there too while you're at it?).

But the SSE story did make him fit pretty well.

EDIT: Yes, Gyromite and Stack-Up. Regardless, neither still had anything to do with Mario >_>

TriforceMaster5282

Smash Apprentice
Lucas...yeah, ok, as if Ness wasnt bad enough with his spam, the gamers decided to make an even crueler Ness with worse spam and made him a broken character.:mad:

Lucario... I dont mind the character that much, but I think mewtwo destroys him and mewtwo shouldnt have been replaced with this cheap knock off of him. There were WAY more fans of mewtwo than there are of Lucario.:ohwell:

Wolf/Falco... Really, I thought the clone wars was over in MELEE, there are way to many clones, but one of these have to go because there are THREE! seriously, that's ridiculous. Marth and Roy was fine, Pichu and Pikachu was simply dumb because who would use pichu over pika, the links, well they are pretty bad too, I despise the Earthbound twins, in my opinion the clones are a waste of space and more and better characters should be in their place. :urg:

MetaKnight.... HEAR ME OUT! I like metaknight, I really do, BUT he IS unarguably the most unfair broken spammer ever made in the smash bros history. If they fixed him and made him, oh idk, FAIR then keep him, but until them I dont think such a cheap player (in my opinion) should be here.

Jigglypuff...Sorry, she just has to go. The first game was cool b/c she is the most popular in japan or w.e. Melee ...alright, she still was a horrible fighter and was a free kill, but now in brawl, shes just w.e waste of space. She still stinks although she has improved. I have never encountered one good jigglypuff and i'm an active online player. Her final smash is miserably stupid and only works on select few boards, and for those of us who main her, well she's easily replaced by another lightweight puffball like the broken metaknight or kirby, i honestly don't think anyone would miss her.

(THESE ARE ALL IN MY OPINION IDC ALL UR STATISTICS AND **** THIS IS WHAT I THINK DONT BOTHER BASHING) :bee:

Alrgureth

Smash Journeyman
Wolf/Falco... Really, I thought the clone wars was over in MELEE, there are way to many clones, but one of these have to go because there are THREE! seriously, that's ridiculous. Marth and Roy was fine, Pichu and Pikachu was simply dumb because who would use pichu over pika, the links, well they are pretty bad too, I despise the Earthbound twins, in my opinion the clones are a waste of space and more and better characters should be in their place. :urg:

(THESE ARE ALL IN MY OPINION IDC ALL UR STATISTICS AND **** THIS IS WHAT I THINK DONT BOTHER BASHING) :bee:
Not to bash you personally or anything, as this applies to everybody who says this. For the last time, Ness and Lucas are not clones. Wolf/Fox/Falco are not clones. It's getting to the point where I will have to film a f***ing video of all 5 of these characters, all doing every single move they have, in order to prove that they are not clones.

Now then..while I'm here, I'll just list my own 5.
Jigglypuff- Now I'm not hating on her because I think she sucks. She doesn't. But I feel that she's been around too long. She was cool in 64, and fine in Melee, but Pokemon fans don't really care about her anymore.
Roy- Advertisement. Should've been a different FE character instead of him, or just Marth
Pichu- Not because he's a clone, but because he's such a pointless addition. Even if he weren't a clone, what would be the point? Pikachu's already there
Lucario- Yea I'll be flamed. I basically just hate all pogeymanz past 1st gen. Coupled with the fact that everybody and their mother mains him (in my area) it's just really tiring to see him so much.

That's only 4 but whatever.

Flan

Smash Journeyman
Jigglypuff...Sorry, she just has to go. The first game was cool b/c she is the most popular in japan or w.e. Melee ...alright, she still was a horrible fighter and was a free kill, but now in brawl, shes just w.e waste of space. She still stinks although she has improved. I have never encountered one good jigglypuff and i'm an active online player. Her final smash is miserably stupid and only works on select few boards, and for those of us who main her, well she's easily replaced by another lightweight puffball like the broken metaknight or kirby, i honestly don't think anyone would miss her.
How was Jigglypuff horible and a free kill in Melee? The current best player in Melee mains Jigglypuff (agurable best). Jigglypuff is an amazing character and was very popular. She is a best choice for a character over like Lucario, Wolf, Metaknight, Peach, or another side character.

NNID
Budget_Player
Pichu. I mean come on, this guy wasn't even IN the anime!
Lucas. a) he's a clone, b) his game only ever came out in japan, and c) who is ness, anyways? He's a clone of a char nobody knows.
Wolf. Nice try, but this guy's power level is definitely under 9000. Ironically, he's more unique than falco, but a 3rd one is overkill.
Sonic. We're reaching here, nintendo. The fact that this is the furball's only good game since the onset of the 3D era was lost on some... He just doesn't belong here. I'd say snake too, but at least snake is a killer fighter.
Roy. Clone, promotional, didn't need to be there.

LucasClaus

Smash Rookie
Pichu. I mean come on, this guy wasn't even IN the anime!
Lucas. a) he's a clone, b) his game only ever came out in japan, and c) who is ness, anyways? He's a clone of a char nobody knows.
Pichu was in the Movie Shorts.

Lucas is as much as a clone as Fox is Falco, or Captain Falcon is Ganondorf. Also, Nobody knows Ness? I know it was a SNES game that not many had played before SSB. Lots of people have played it because of SSB so your logic fails there.

Erj

Smash Rookie
1. Jigglypuff
2. Mr G&W
3. Ice Climbers
4. R.O.B
5. Sonic (Yeah, he sucks in brawl. Useless to be exact, I wouldn't mind seeing Roy in his place. I mean, we have Solid Snake, so sonic should just disappear.)

Cacti

Smash Journeyman
1. MK, two characters from the Kirby universe are enough, and Dedede has a bigger role in the games.
2. Wolf, again, Fox and Falco were enough.
3. Pichu. He was just a joke character and a clone.
4. Roy, another pointless clone.
5. Doctor Mario. Moar clones.

Why all of the Lucas hate? He's hardly a clone of Ness, the only things that are slightly the same about them are three of their specials.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
lol @ GaW hate. He's the first video game character Nintendo EVER made, and he's been included as tribute to his creator who died.

I'm not going to do all the arguments I made for every character again. I am content with every addition that has been made in Smash Bros. so far.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Pichu- I think we all know why

Jigglypuff- it's VIDEOGAME allstars anime ISN'T a game

Roy-he's marth with fire WHOOP DE FREAKIN DO!

Lucas- This is a series with 3 games that will never continue I think one character is enough

Lucario/pikachu- I'm just not sure which one is less deserving so they tie pikcahu both for the same reason,but at least pikachu was once on a game cover and lucario does represent 4th gen well so this one's something to think about

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Oh, I didn't know Jigglypuff was an anime-exclusive Pokemon. Why, the fact I caught it in my Pokemon R/B must've been an illusion.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Jigglypuff- it's VIDEOGAME allstars anime ISN'T a game

Lucario/pikachu- I'm just not sure which one is less deserving so they tie pikcahu both for the same reason,but at least pikachu was once on a game cover and lucario does represent 4th gen well so this one's something to think about
You seem to be under the impression that in-game popularity has anything to do with choices...

They don't, it's overall popularity and representation.

Jigglypuff is popular, pikachu is popular, therefore they're in smash.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Oh, I didn't know Jigglypuff was an anime-exclusive Pokemon. Why, the fact I caught it in my Pokemon R/B must've been an illusion.
you caught him, sure.

but what made him so much more significant then the other 149 I caught in R/B?

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
You seem to be under the impression that in-game popularity has anything to do with choices...

They don't, it's overall popularity and representation.

Jigglypuff is popular, pikachu is popular, therefore they're in smash.
Really? I thought it all had to do with significance to the series they came from.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
The same that made Pikachu, Mewtwo, Lucario and Pichu so popular. The Pokemon anime. Jigglypuff is incredibly popular in Japan due to the anime, and so are the other characters from Pokemon aside of the trainer.

Let me ask a question in return:
Which Pokemons would YOU include to represent the whole series, being popular and well-liked?

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Well I'll tell you who I would pick as my four pokemon in brawl

Pokemon Trainer- Smartest thing ever!

Mewtwo- first legendary actual GAME significance

Wess- This one is a bit obscure it's the trainer from colosseum. I'd say he should get in because he was the first in a full on console pkmn game and (this one is personal) is the most bad ***

Pikachu/Lucario- it's tough to say Lucario to represent 4th gen?(and no I'm not using the anime as a proof I'm using the fact he's on wifi constantly) or Pikachu the first and only pokemon to follow you around in-game?

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Well I'll tell you who I would pick as my four pokemon in brawl

Pokemon Trainer- Smartest thing ever!

Mewtwo- first legendary actual GAME significance

Wess- This one is a bit obscure it's the trainer from colosseum. I'd say he should get in because he was the first in a full on console pkmn game and (this one is personal) is the most bad ***

Pikachu/Lucario- it's tough to say Lucario to represent 4th gen?(and no I'm not using the anime as a proof I'm using the fact he's on wifi constantly) or Pikachu the first and only pokemon to follow you around in-game?
I can see where you're coming from, but I'm not sure how Wess would work. It seems like he would just be ripping off Pokemon Trainer only with Umbreon and Espeon.

And Pikachu would always get in over Lucario dues to Pikachu being the pokemon "mascot" in a way.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
So you would make one character that already has been included into Smash (PT) less original for an obscure character from a game that is a sequel to the Stadium games?

Besides, look at your choices. Mewtwo was in. Lucario is in. Pikachu is in.

Remember that Smash 64 was made when there was only one Pokemon Generation, and Melee was made when there were only 2 Pokemon Generations.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
So you would make one character that already has been included into Smash (PT) less original for an obscure character from a game that is a sequel to the Stadium games?

Besides, look at your choices. Mewtwo was in. Lucario is in. Pikachu is in.

Remember that Smash 64 was made when there was only one Pokemon Generation, and Melee was made when there were only 2 Pokemon Generations.
I never disagreed concerning mewtwo (hell, why isn't he in ssbb?) and it was an either/or situation with pikachu/lucario.

Now about pt being less original- Let's take a look at FE: Marth is in since melee (intended for 64 I think) because he was FIRST lord. and the second character tends to be the lord from the most recent game. back to pkmn wess = first console game = significance to the series as a whole = smash spot. and it sold pretty well too (even for a pkmn game!)

TriforceMaster5282

Smash Apprentice
How was Jigglypuff horible and a free kill in Melee? The current best player in Melee mains Jigglypuff (agurable best). Jigglypuff is an amazing character and was very popular. She is a best choice for a character over like Lucario, Wolf, Metaknight, Peach, or another side character.
well, idc about any of them who "main" them, shes an easy kill for me and most people i play with. I just think shes too much of a light weight with no real strong hits except maybe rest which gets debuffed as eacch game passes, and no real combos that can do more than maybe 20%, all im saying is that shes got to go, and i disagree with her being a better choice then the ones listed for this reason, there are already so many pokemon, including pokeballs, give it a rest, really. Not you, but the Smash Bros pokemon thing

TriforceMaster5282

Smash Apprentice
I think that they are clones, but you have the right of your opinion. besides the few alterations between them like gun speed or lightning bolt power, they are so similar that i dont think we'd miss one if we lost them. I dont think you can disagree with the fact that much better characters could have taken theirplace or, they could have beeen modified to be completely original character. New moveset please?

Cenedar

Smash Ace
There are only three characters I would prefer being replaced with something else:

1. Link clones, they're everywhere it seems! I mean Young Link I felt was pretty unnecessary at the time, at least Toon Link has a more visually varied style.

2. Sheik. I know people will probably crucify me for saying it, but I just don't like Sheik. I think the developers could've done so much more with Zelda's character and style without adding the transformation. Yes, Sheik was an integral part of OoT, which is still considered by many to be the best Zelda game in history. Yes, for Zelda in Melee it seemed appropriate because it was the Zelda incarnation from OoT. I just think that Zelda's moveset should've evolved more with her character appearance, now that it takes from Twilight Princess.

3. Jigglypuff. Oh it's pink and puffy and cute, sure, but look in it's eyes. It's the spawn of Lucifer, it's a hell-child and she'll destroy us all! ::runs screaming::

The_Rake

Smash Lord
Theres quite a few characters i always thought would be good in brawl. Why not some of the early Final Fantasy characters like Cecil or Terra. Maybe even go down the route of Mario Slam basketball and have something like Ninja, White/Black mage or warrior? Ive always liked the idea of bomberman or megaman in smash bros too for some reason even though ive never really been huge fans

I think jigglypuff (in the west at least) has run her course. I dont really know how big she is in the east but what has become apparant in the world of SB is that if the east wants it they get it (sonic, marth/roy)

terry12312

Smash Rookie
1. Wario:
in ssb64 I could only imagine how awesome wario would be in an ssb game. I expected some real wario moves like the ground pound that would increase in power over distance as down B, the wario running elbow for B, wario running to ram with his head for side B and something wario-ish as up B.
2. pkmn trainer
because a total of 6 pokemon, 3 without a proper down B, is 3 too much..
4. meta knight
meta knight used one of his godly spam moves.
meta knight wins!
5. wolf
it's nice how every ssb game gets a new star fox character, but 2 is enough and a character from a diffrent game could've been added.

The_Rake

Smash Lord
1. Wario:
in ssb64 I could only imagine how awesome wario would be in an ssb game. I expected some real wario moves like the ground pound that would increase in power over distance as down B, the wario running elbow for B, wario running to ram with his head for side B and something wario-ish as up B.
2. pkmn trainer
4. meta knight
meta knight used one of his godly spam moves.
meta knight wins!
5. wolf
it's nice how every ssb game gets a new star fox character, but 2 is enough and a character from a diffrent game could've been added.
1. Wario : Hid ground pound should have definetly been in it, it has been in all of the wario land games and wario world (i think) along with his body slam which thankfully was left in. We could have had his dash from wario land 4 too. Maybe even incorperate his hats from warioland or 'powerups' from any of the other wario lands
2. The don't really need the down B in my opinion. Are you saying that you use every single attack with every character. For me there are certain attacks i (almost) never use with some characters (lucarios side b, pikachus B, Sonics B for example).
4. (? what happened to 3?) meh, dunno why meta knight was put in, i never really heard of him, which kirby games are he from?
5. I do agree with wolf, falco was a fox clone and hes been altered slightly now, but wold is basicly the same too. theres 3 characters way too similar now.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
4. (? what happened to 3?) meh, dunno why meta knight was put in, i never really heard of him, which kirby games are he from?
5. I do agree with wolf, falco was a fox clone and hes been altered slightly now, but wold is basicly the same too. theres 3 characters way too similar now.
Meta Knight was in several Kirby games:
  • Kirby's Adventure
  • Kirby and the Amazing Mirror
  • Kirby: Squeak Squad
  • Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land
  • Kirby Super Star Ultra
  • Kirby: Canvas Curse
  • Kirby's Air Ride
I think Meta Knight is justifiable.

In my opinion, Fox, Falco, and Wolf are similar in the sense that they have similar movesets. Oh, and they're from the same franchise. However, they all feel and play differently. Personally, I cannot play with Falco at all, because he feels incredibly different from Fox. Wolf is actually quite heavy, in comparison to Fox and Falco. I think those three characters are justified. But if we're picking a Star Fox character, I'm going to go with Falco, even if his reflector is awesome.

Serph

Smash Journeyman
12. pkmn trainer
Considering the fact that Pokemon has the biggest pool of potential fighters to choose from, and is also Nintendo's biggest money-maker, I'd say that six characters is fair enough.

Pokemon Trainer was one of the most deserved Brawl newcomers. He's the original (albeit redesigned) protagonist of the Pokemon series.

Top Bottom