• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

5/10/08 Fresno, CA Super Smash Bros Brawl Spring Singles/Doubles Bi-Annually *PRIZES*

Osgiliath

Smash Apprentice

Introduction
In honor of the release of Super Smash Brothers Brawl (and because of the fact that there haven't been any real Fresno tournaments in a long time) Kappa Kappa Psi, the National Honorary Band Fraternity on the California State University Fresno campus, is hosting a Singles and Doubles Brawl tournament which include multiple stations, purchasable food, and money gifts for the top players.

Details

WHO:
Every Brawl Smasher who is interested in showing up.​

WHAT:
Singles and Doubles Tournaments. Both will be Double Elimination Brackets.​
Singles: $5 registration fee​
Doubles: $10 registration fee ($5 per person)​

WHERE:
California State University Fresno - Baker Hall Recreation Room​
5241 N. Maple Ave.​
Fresno CA 93740​

WHEN:
5/10/08​
Tournament Start Time: 11:00 AM​

WHY:
A percentage of the Registration Fee will be given as a scholarship to an incoming Fall 2008 Freshman majoring in a Music related Major.​

Registration Details

Registration will Open at 10:00 AM and will Close promptly at 10:59 AM. The Registration Fees are as follows,​
Singles: $5 registration fee​
Doubles: $10 registration fee ($5 per person).​
Only Cash will be accepted. During Registration, you will be asked your In-Game Brawl name, your nickname, and your real name, if registering for the Doubles tournament you must also give your team name, and the name of your partner. You will then be given a hand out stating the tournament rules, a map showing the location of tournament specific areas, including station numbers, food locations, and the lavatories, a wristband with your nickname identifying you as a participant, and the station number of your first match. You will then be allowed to participate in any friendly matches on any of the open stations until registration is closed.​

There are no refunds on any of the registration fees.
You are responsible for your own and responsible to bring your own controller and fresh pair of batteries if required.

Tournament Details
Once the tournament has begun, the brackets will be made public knowledge, a referee will then come to your station, ask if any player has any questions regarding the rules, and will then instruct you to start the match. Once each game or match has finished, both players will remain at the station until a referee has come by to document the win. The two will then be instructed of their next station location and approximate start time. Any player who has lost two matches are encouraged to stay for the Finals and Prize Distribution.​

Match Rules

Singles Bracket
Bracket Type: Double Elimination​
Match: Best 2 out of 3​
Finals Best 3 out of 5​
Stock: 4​
Character Selection:​
1st Game: Double Blinds​
2nd/3rd Game: Counter-Pick​
Time: 8 minutes​
If time runs out, the player with the most stock is the winner. If stock is tied, the player with the least amount of damage is the winner. In the event of tied damage, sudden death is played out.​
Items: None​
Available Neutral Stages:​
Final Destination, Battle Field, Smashville, Yoshi's Island, Lylat Cruise​
Available Counter-Pick Stages​
Luigi's Mansion, Delfino Plaza, Castle Siege, Great Sea, Frigate Orpheon, Battleship Halberd, Pokemon Stadium 2, Shadow Moses Island​
No Stage may be used twice.​
Stage Selection:​
1st: If both players don't agree on a stage, random​
2nd/3rd Game: Counter-pick​

Doubles Bracket
Friendly Fire: On​
Life Stealing: Allowed​
Pause: Off​

Name: Frank​
Nickname: Osgiliath​
AIM: Osgiliath05​

Please leave a post if I forgot to post any important general info or even any comments, questions, or concerns. I better see all my Fresno/Clovis buddies here since this tournament is mainly for you, and I hope to see a lot of our Modesto friends seeing as how we get a turn-out to go to their tournaments :laugh:.

Good Luck to all and I hope to see you there!

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Oh ok I found it.

What are the prizes?

Also do you or the people you play with play melee? What are the chances of a melee tournament?

I should more than likely be at this tournament as long as nothing else gets in the way.

Mexi

Smash Apprentice
how bout a melee tourny so much funner brawl makes me cry,but ill prolly go to see some other friends

Drex

Smash Apprentice
Hey there, if you need any help with these tournaments let me know... many of the good smashers in the area know me and know about the tournaments I have organized and ran.

It's good to see someone with initiative... I was in the process of trying to find a new venue to host tournaments but it seems like you guys have something good going and I'd love to be involved in the process.

Please give me an email at drexel.lemanski@gmail.com if you guys need any help or whatever... Like I said I know a lot of the people who played Melee and I know a lot of REALLY good brawl players who do not visit these boards.

Osgiliath

Smash Apprentice
Alright, sorry about the late reply, for someone reason I haven't been getting emails about this so I thought no one was interested :( . I have responded to every post before this in a quote, so just look for the answers for your question. I will also take it upon myself to send a small newsletter to each person who is showing interest here to keep the turnout awesome!

Omg finally a tourny at CSU Fresno. For sure i have to be there
Yup, a tournament at Fresno State. We have been trying to set one up for a couple of years, but we had no way of advertising it. Until I found smash boards of course!

parent consent forms? thats the first i've ever seen at a smash tourny.
Ya, parent consent forms. Since this is an "official school function", and if someone were to get hurt playing Smash (blister on your thumb, trip over a wire) we don't want to get sued.

I personally think we don't need them because I trust any person who is going to dedicate time and money to this is going to want to stay healthy to win, it is just a legality thing. All we really need is a paper from your parent/guardian saying,

"I give consent for 'Insert your name here; to play in the tournament'

Signed,
'Insert Parent/Guardian Name Here'"

Oh ok I found it.

What are the prizes?

Also do you or the people you play with play melee? What are the chances of a melee tournament?

I should more than likely be at this tournament as long as nothing else gets in the way.
1. Prizes are dependent on the type of tournament we're going to have. Prizes include Wii Points, Gift Certificates (since giving out cash as a prize is illegal 0_o ), donated games and clothing from major game retailers, (Game Stop, Game Crazy, Game Rush all promised to donate something to the tournament. EB Games said they'll get back to me on it, though they haven't told me what as of yet), and we are also waiting on other charitable organizations to donate. We've been trying to get in contact with Buddy's Gaming Center for some free hours but because of all their remodeling, they're a little hard to get in contact with. Booby Prizes will include Fresno State Paraphernalia. There will be others but I'm waiting until confirmation to say much.

Hm, might try and make this, sounds like fun. =)
I hope you can come!

how bout a melee tourny so much funner brawl makes me cry,but ill prolly go to see some other friends
Depeding on the popular opinion, we just might switch to Melee.

Hey there, if you need any help with these tournaments let me know... many of the good smashers in the area know me and know about the tournaments I have organized and ran.

It's good to see someone with initiative... I was in the process of trying to find a new venue to host tournaments but it seems like you guys have something good going and I'd love to be involved in the process.

Please give me an email at drexel.lemanski@gmail.com if you guys need any help or whatever... Like I said I know a lot of the people who played Melee and I know a lot of REALLY good brawl players who do not visit these boards.
If you can give me names, numbers, AIM names, email, or even a good word for the tournament, or even past experiences and advice for running these tournaments, ANYTHING would be great. I don't know many smashers in the area besides my close friends. The names of boards I can advertise on would be great too. This is the first Smash tournament we're hosting, and if we can really rake in some money for scholarships, everyone will be looking forward to another tournament with a better outcome and more rewarding prizes!

Phew I think I got them all, thanks for the interest guys.

Osgiliath

Smash Apprentice
32 double d's
Booby Prizes are cheap little items to make the receiver feel as if they really received something. For example, some random tournament, 1st place a brand new house, 2nd place a brand new car, 3rd place, a new tv, 4th place a candy bar. The lower place can be viewed as booby prizes, compared to a house, a candy bar is a crap prize lol.

There is your definition lol

Mexi

Smash Apprentice
a random top 5 finisher will get an energy drink from me!!!But only if this is melee,brawl ill just complain about the game!!! Besides the ppl posting in here, how many ppl have talked to you about this/seem interested?

Gray Dissidence

Smash Rookie
I'm totally down for this, only if its Brawl tho :x, sry mexi lol. I sux at Melee too much, plus I wanna play a big Brawl tourney to see local skills. Like they say, " Out with the old, in with the new." If any changes DO happen to come about, let ppl know pls. I can bring more people if it is a Brawl event tho for sure. No meleeeeee plz :D

Oh yea and Osg, I just got your private message. I'm down for some casuals for sure, PM your cell num or something. I wanna play in thee flesh, Wii connect sux. The name is Jacob btw, ill pm you my celly yo.

shadowcloud

Smash Apprentice
a random top 5 finisher will get an energy drink from me!!!But only if this is melee,brawl ill just complain about the game!!! Besides the ppl posting in here, how many ppl have talked to you about this/seem interested?
I can bring about 3 or 4 people if this is a melee tourny:)

Osgiliath

Smash Apprentice
Its sad that no one wants to play Brawl. This tournament was designed to give players a fun chance to play Brawl, not that I mind everyone preferring Melee, ultimately this is for the betterment of Music.

Here is what's going to happen.

I have been able to acquire 5 TVs, Two Wiis and three Game Cubes as well as two copies of Brawl and multiple copies of Melee. Since people want to play either, we'll set up different stations pertaining to each game. As of right now it seems we're going to need to split the stations with the majority being Melee. Maybe 2/3 or 1/4 splits. However, to help make the tournament a BRAWL tournament, there are going to be better prizes for the Brawl tournaments.

Also, many of the prize donators are saying their corporate office have declined the offer because its not being sponsored by a gaming center or cafe. (Jerks) So the tournament prizes are going to be switched into the majority of monetary gain. So come and expect big money!!!

A few people have expressed the interest in attending. *woot*

Asrialys

Smash Rookie
Finally got that darn confirmation e-mail.

Anyway, did you get my e-mail, Osgiliath? I sent it on the 18th to your gmail account. By the way, you misspelled gmail.

Osgiliath

Smash Apprentice
Finally got that darn confirmation e-mail.

Anyway, did you get my e-mail, Osgiliath? I sent it on the 18th to your gmail account. By the way, you misspelled gmail.
No I haven't received it. Try my yahoo one, mister_c_major@yahoo.com, or my gmail again Osgiliath.IA@gmail.com.

I'd rather it be a Brawl Tournament.
The tournament is going to be a Brawl and Melee tournament, anyway, if its a Brawl Tournament I'm just going to win 0_o. ^^

Asrialys

Smash Rookie
I'll just post it here:

Wasn't expecting one so close. And the weekend before finals (yeah, CSUF student)? Anyway, since SmashBoards seems incapable of sending my a confirmation e-mail to allow me to post, I decided to e-mail you instead. I have a question. Since I'm completely oblivious to SSB terminlogy and have never been part of a tournament, I don't understand how character selection goes. Are we not allowed to play whatever character we want?

Osgiliath

Smash Apprentice
I'll just post it here:
Congratulations on becoming a member of Smash World Forums finally lol. Here is what I mean by character selection. No character is being blocked from the tournament.

Double Blinds = Both characters secretly tell the judge their character choice. Once both opponents have, then the characters can be selected.

Counter Picking = The Loser of the previous round first determines what stage is going to be played for the next game. The winner then chooses his character.

Simple right? ^^

SpaZtiK

Smash Cadet
It's Mexi, so I wouldn't worry about getting confused, lol. (mexi's a sexy beast)
I heard gamestop or gamecrazy was having a tourney this same day, but so far I haven't heard anything about it yet. This is the weekend after ours, so I'm sure we'll be going to this.

I kinda skimmed though most of the posts, but are the prizes money or gifts? If they're gifts, what are they?

And yes, it should be Brawl. Get over melee already Mexi!

EDIT:
Will the results and such be posted on AiB.com?

Skazryk

Smash Apprentice
I really wanna go. but, i live in Grass valley, which is a bit north of sacramento.
my car gets bad mpg, and my freind is picky about going anywhere long distance.
How big do these usually get?

Osgiliath

Smash Apprentice
It's Mexi, so I wouldn't worry about getting confused, lol. (mexi's a sexy beast)
I heard gamestop or gamecrazy was having a tourney this same day, but so far I haven't heard anything about it yet. This is the weekend after ours, so I'm sure we'll be going to this.

I kinda skimmed though most of the posts, but are the prizes money or gifts? If they're gifts, what are they?

And yes, it should be Brawl. Get over melee already Mexi!

EDIT:
Will the results and such be posted on AiB.com?
I haven't heard anything about Gamestop or Gamecrazy hosting any tournaments on that weekend. I have heard that the Gamestop on Herndon and Willow will be hosting a doubles tournament soon (don;t know when). I was looking into doing some SERIOUS advertising at the Quest #1 tournament.. I haven't posted the tournament on AiB.com yet, but once I do, I'm sure I'll post the results and whatever videos we manage to scrounge up.

Prizes were supposed to be gifts donated from the stores around here, but ALL of them backed out because corporate office said since it wasn't a big time tournament they're not going to waste their merchandise :(. So for the time being its going to be cash as a prize unless we get calls from the donors.

I've also contacted the Fresno Bee so i'm hoping they take the time to come out as well ^^

shadowcloud

Smash Apprentice
what time is each event going to start? and mexi tell dizzy that comeback kid wants to money match him in marth dittos :D

The Game II

Smash Champion
I'd be willing to go ... I'm just wondering how much the age limit and prizes will hamper turnout. I don't want to drive 4 hours for a 20-person tournament when it could easily be 45.

--GCII

Mexi

Smash Apprentice
so can u give us an update on this,the people you expect coming since its tomorrow

Gutripper

Smash Rookie
There's no point in going to this if Mexi is going to be there. Why would I go to something when I'm just gonna get pwnt? Mexi is too dang good and I feel sorry for anyone who goes tomorrow just to get stomped by him. Stay home and save your money. :)

The Game II

Smash Champion
There's no point in going to this if Mexi is going to be there. Why would I go to something when I'm just gonna get pwnt? Mexi is too dang good and I feel sorry for anyone who goes tomorrow just to get stomped by him. Stay home and save your money. :)
I'm covering this tournament. I don't want to drive 4 hours to watch 5 people play. Go to this, people!

And I've already booked my hotel and everything.

--GCII

Mexi

Smash Apprentice
stop being dumb

Gray Dissidence

Smash Rookie
since pikachu the host didnt show up yet or answer his phone calls,we're gonna have this at another place. Call 559-352-4487 ask for fresno

SpaZtiK

Smash Cadet
Talk to Os about this, we all showed up and no one was there. We tried calling and he just never answered, so we moved the tourney to my house. You should of just came, it was a decent turnout..

Mexi

Smash Apprentice
it was a good turnout.Brawl was alright but melee i lost my virginity too. Pickachu was a no show but it turned out good still.

Top Bottom