• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List V4 - Competitive Insight & Analysis

MercuryPenny

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MemorialDime
also, meta knight didn't singlehandedly kill brawl. it was a combination of various factors that included the apathy towards meta knight from spectators and players.

the release of smash 4, the growth of melee post-evo, the infinite climbers, and being draining to watch (? maybe it's just me) were just a few of countless others. if/when smash 4 peters out, it's not going to be because we didn't ban bayonetta. it won't even be a primary factor, even if she becomes an actual, non-community problem.

Myollnir

Smash Ace
We are not even sure if Smash 5 is coming, let alone when. I wouldn't expect too much from Nintendo as this point.

It's not a popular opinion, but I think Smash4 is fine the way it is. Sure we could use some balance changes, especially on bottom tier characters and the three S tier characters, but the game definitely feels fun to me. I enjoy playing a lot of the viable characters.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Comparing Brawl MK to Sm4sh Bayo is blatantly wrong.

You don't see players switching to Bayo and winning like they did with MK.

If you think Bayonetta is overcentralizing the metagame, I think you've forgotten how Brawl was. She's not even remotely close
to doing that.

MK had his own tier. Bayonetta doesn't.

If you want to ban her, do not make up competitive arguments, as the character very clearly doesn't deserve a ban from a competitive standpoint.

If you want to ban her, that's fine, but do it for the right reasons.
Do it because she makes the game less enjoyable to watch for a good portion of the community.
Do it because it is very toxic to have such a complex character considered as n°1 in a game where a vast majority of players can't even diffentiate Sonic's specials.
Do it because she's obnoxious to fight against.
Do it because you don't want a conversion-based character to thrive in smash (but don't dare to talk about how melee/64 is better then) and it doesn't match your point of view of how the game should be played.
Do it because you think it'll make the game last longer (spoiler : it won't).

You have the right to want her removed from the game. @Illusion. 's post was - even if I don't agree with everything - the first smart pro-ban post I've seen in the thread / Twitter.

But do NOT compare Bayonetta to something as powerful as Brawl MK to justify a ban. You're just being extremely dishonest.
And people today are only willing to compare the state of Brawl 3-4 years+ into it's life time (a point where it was difficult to deny the damage received wasn't already fatal) when going "Bayo's' not anything like MK! She isn't winning everything!"
This is now year two for Bayo.
MK wasn't in his own tier straight away either.

IF you're responding to me, then it seems like you're not comprehending what I'm saying or the angle at which I am. Unlucky. It is kinda my fault, my online writing style isn't referred to Shayanese for nothing.
In the past, Riot, for League of Legends, had a general rule that a character winning anywhere near 55% of the time at any level of play would require a rework or rebalancing. Part of my personal gripes with the game despite me accepting the validity (well, I accept the logic, doesn't mean I accepted how they went about doing so); character with targeted hard CC wins 60% at the lowest level but were mediocre (sub 50%ish) at higher levels - Taric, Garen. Morgana or Le Blanc were the opposite, at lower levels had horrendous win rates, but at the highest level was dominant; they still went about changing them (poor 'casual' players).
They would do this despite arguments of 'not centralizing the meta' because not many people played them or had reached that level of skill necessary yet (Nidalee was sleeper top tier for years, ignored because only HotShotGG [god nostalgia] could do anything with her, but all that happened was hotshotgg appears - ban Nidalee; until more people got there, then voila QQ everywhere, people blaming Riot for not doing so earlier and as a result ruining a season's World's Finals).
The metrics are different, team based games, blah blah blah blah.
I might speculate Meta Knight might've been like a 65% win rate character (its probably higher, and in fighting games the values would be skewed further away than LoL's '55%' because of 9 other champions in the mix, while here it's only one other) at the 3 year point of Brawl's life time.
Bayonetta might be 55% in this magical comparative paradigm, right now.

Magic numbers.
Dominant options out of every orifice.
Did I say Bayo's options are as dominant? I can argue by design they are more difficult to deal with due to BA ruining muscle memory, but that'll go over the head of most people so what's the point.
I tend to keep bringing up similarities/analogues.
But this typical response right now is kinda reminding me of people bringing up Ivan Ooze (from a power rangers SNES fighting game, look it up) when players were readily denying MK was broken or banworthy. It's funny now that the norm view here is that MK is a demon that Bayo is not allowed to be compared to.
Also I am so over having any post I make double post, jfc.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
also, meta knight didn't singlehandedly kill brawl. it was a combination of various factors that included the apathy towards meta knight from spectators and players.

the release of smash 4, the growth of melee post-evo, the infinite climbers, and being draining to watch (? maybe it's just me) were just a few of countless others. if/when smash 4 peters out, it's not going to be because we didn't ban bayonetta. it won't even be a primary factor, even if she becomes an actual, non-community problem.
Even the "infinite climbers" are more broken that Bayonetta. One grab at any percent and you are dead, which is combined with their 2 in 1 mechanic, reliable setups to grab, and benefiting from the defensive metagame of Brawl. The duo also have two decent projectiles, and they are armed with a relatively powerful meteor smash along with one of the largest disjointed up aerials in the game.

Wait, why I am talking about Brawl IC's? Anyways.....

Spectators are also a reason why Brawl's top 2 often hits the brakes at tournaments. The majority of Brawl tournaments after the Unity Ruleset's dismissal still has MK allowed and when SSB4 was released, which was faster than Brawl and had better balance (Sakurai actually mentioned that SSB4 was focused on balancing, hence why less newcomers came to SSB4), Brawl died out competitively due to it being unpopular with the majority of the audience.

The reason why many Melee players think SSB4 is an inferior game competitively is because Melee's higher tiers are still fast paced and offensive (sans Puff and IC's), while some of SSB4's top tiers are more slower paced (such as Bayonetta, Sonic, and sometimes Diddy), despite SSB4 having much better balance.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Not to debate against you because I haven’t seen the match in detail, but from what you’re describing, it sounds like imperfect textbook neutral. I think there’s another way to play neutral that goes against the basic principles of it. Take this for example:

In that match (or another commentary), it was noted kazunoko switched between scrubby tactics (wake-up SRK multiple times) and professional tactics. This “randomized” style keeps Daigo from being able to read him solidly. Expecting profesional-styled layers of mindgames and then received something a FG/500BP player would do.

Could be the case with mistake.

Could be. Idk for sure.
This is a really fair point that I didn't even consider.

Actually, that's one of the things ZeRo pointed out yesterday. Mistake went for about 3 garbage Witch Times vs Dabuz that got him punished at worse but never killed.

And then the 4th one was something Dabuz didn't even consider, and he died as a result of it. A tactic like this isn't even Bayo - exclusive... Rage monsters like Ryu and Lucario have admitted to letting themselves get hit on purpose as a means to condition their opponent.

Now, the heel slides were by and large awful, but that *also* worked to a degree. Nairo ate way more heel slides than Dabuz or Leo... which means it was smart neutral vs Nairo, and poor vs Dabuz and Leo (who play more grounded and reactionary).

All things depend, but Mistake made a lot of unconventional choices that worked out as a result of his character choice. You'll note his switch to ZSS vs Dabuz didn't have similar wonkiness. It was just the Bayo, who clearly benefits from such a random style due to burst options and a devastating punish game.

So while my initial response was to say that Mistake's neutral isn't "bad," (not by a long shot) just lacking compared to the other players in top 8, I'm actually second-guessing how quick I was to think that. The worst criticism I can make right now is that it wasn't flexible enough to go against Leo. But it was, in retrospect, exactly what he should have done given the character he was using.

Laken64

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-0523-8094
Your comment is definitely true to extent. However, I can't believe people is still comparing Bayonetta to the brokenness to Brawl MK.
Melee Fox wins the majority of Melee tournaments and the vast majority of players either main him or has him as a secondary.
"This character is so exciting! Shine on!"
Bayonetta, although being a popular pick in competitive play, only won 3 majors.
"This character is busted and cheap! Ban her!"
Granted that Fox requires far more skill to master and Bayo plays a defensive playstyle, but she is definitely the worst-best character in the series.
The thing about people not giving hate on fox but on MK and bayo is that despite being the indisputable #1 and all of his crazy strengths (shine, speed, throw combos that kill at 70+, good at rushdown and camping ect.) is that he has weaknesses that are actually exploitable and tangible to a majority if not all the cast. His fall speed while being a boon in his combo game is also a bane in that hes easily comboed. I remember Armada saying that a couple years back nobody punished hard enough on fox but now everyone has learned how to punish him to the point where they get a buttload of damage, get him offstage or even kill him. His light weight doesn't help him either in that regard. Now that I think about it Limit :4cloud2: has that kind of weakness (not being light but heavy to the increased fallspeed) and I wonder if the meta will eventually find a way to punish limit cloud's fallspeed like fox to the extent I said earlier (maybe not death but hey its a possibility).

As we move on down to the next smash games the #1 characters :metaknight::4bayonetta: quote on quote "have weaknesses" but they aren't really exploitable or tangible to any if at all the cast.

:metaknight: is light??? but pretty much doesn't have any other weaknesses justifying the SS tier (idk much about competitive brawl)

:4bayonetta: has prepatch :4sheik:'s weight so shes light and is a fast faller but can be comboed but oh look Bat within which can get her out of that most of the time if you aren't quick or frame trap her in that situation. (:4cloud2::4sheik: can exploit this very well) Did I also forget to mention if your combos aren't airtight she'll get out of them and even escape moves or untrue combos that could probably catch or kill any other character with an airdodge that is frame 1 (or BW)? Sure her rolls are slow but she can just move around in the air and rolling is pretty mediocre for her anyways. Her other weakness is increased landing lag form all her specials in the air, which at first sounds like a very reasonable weakness for have such a strong aerial combo game but once you see the ways she can easily mitigate them by going to ledge, using WT to punish YOU for trying to punish her "weakness", or simply knocking you far away it looks like a small blemish on her skewed risk reward chart where she either benefits and kills you, or fails and gets away pretty much scot-free.

When you compare :4bayonetta:'s "weaknesses" to a top tier like :foxmelee: the meme "Fox is honest" becomes a tiny bit realistic despite his many strengths he has a real weakness that everyone can expose, you cant do the same to bayo. :foxmelee: players know this and use his powerful kit to avoid this weakness as much as possible, getting as much as they can from the strengths he has to reward the player for good plays (using Fox's speed to outmaneuver your opponent to gain an opening) and if he misuses or uses them in a situation where they don't work (uses Fox's speed to recklessly dash attack into Marth's shield on FD) the player gets punished for bad plays with his fallspeed. :4bayonetta: however can uses all of her strengths and even uses them recklessly but suffer few to no repercussions. For example at LTC5 Mistake continuously used side b on zero's shield and what did he get? 20% from Zero every time. But what did Mistake get when he finally hit zero with that side b? A stock and a win (no hate on Mistake though he did great at G5.) Nobody admires that. If you look back on the last tier list thread I made a post on bayo being sort of like a drug in rewarding with punish game and not caring if your neutral is good or not which is a trend among young bayos.

This is why nobody complains about Melee Fox. The Irony is that compared to bayo as a top tier from another game, Fox might be actually honest in his straightforward transparency to the player.

Last edited:

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
The reason why many Melee players think SSB4 is an inferior game competitively is because Melee's higher tiers are still fast paced and offensive (sans Puff and IC's), while some of SSB4's top tiers are more slower paced (such as Bayonetta, Sonic, and sometimes Diddy), despite SSB4 having much better balance.
Reasons extend far beyond just the pace of the game.

Greater depth is the biggest reason. Even over 15 years of its inception, people are finding new things out about Melee.

Another one is the significantly more effective movement options. Movement in the later Smash games feels just so restricted in comparison (no crouching out of a run, a shorter initial dash, etc.).

Myollnir

Smash Ace
IF you're responding to me, then it doesn't sound like you're actually comprehending what I'm saying or the angle at which I am. Unlucky.
In the past, Riot, for League of Legends, had a general rule that a character winning anywhere near 55% of the time at any level of play would require a rework or rebalancing. Part of my personal gripes with the game despite me accepting the validity (well, I accept the logic, doesn't mean I accepted how they went about doing so); character with targeted hard CC wins 60% at the lowest level but is were mediocre (sub 50%ish) at higher levels - Taric, Garen. Morgana or Le Blanc were the opposite, at lower levels had horrendous win rates, but at the highest level was dominant; they still went about changing them (poor 'casual' players).
They would do this despite arguments of 'not centralizing the meta' because not many people played them or had reached that level of skill necessary yet (Nidalee was sleeper top tier for years, ignored because only HotShotGG [god nostalgia] could do anything with her, but all that happened was hotshotgg appears - ban Nidalee; until more people got there, then voila QQ everywhere).
The metrics are different, team based games, blah blah blah blah.
I might speculate Meta Knight might've been like a 65% win rate character (its probably higher, and in fighting games the values would be skewed further away than LoL's '55%' because of 9 other champions in the mix, while here it's only one other)
Bayonetta might be 55% in this magical comparative paradigm.

Magic numbers.
Dominant options out of every orifice.
Did I say Bayo's options are as dominant? I can argue by design they are more difficult to deal with due to BA ruining muscle memory, but that'll go over the head of most people so what's the point.
I tend to keep bringing up similarities.

Dominant options? She's not the only one to have a ton of powerful options. Plus, her only REALLY dominant option is Witch Time.
It's obviously a broken move, it's in my opinion the best in the game and it would make a lot of bottom/low tier characters jump like 2 whole tiers if it was given to them.
She has a LOT of good options, but in terms of really dominant ones, I think she has less than Cloud (U-air, Limit Specials) & Diddy (F-air, Banana).
Her good options just happen to have a powerful synergy, with one of her only weakness (high start-up on good moves) being compensated by the threat of WTi.
Not that it makes her any less good than those two, but I just wanted to point that out.
:metaknight: had Tornado, U-air, Shuttle Loop, D-Smash and a ton of other top tier options (those 4 moves were the really broken ones though).

We're talking about LoL now?
Riot doesn't want to balance the game. They want a rotation between OP & Viable champions while trying out new features so that they keep their playerbase interested by the game (people want novelty).
They can't ignore the Gold/Silver/Bronze playerbase (which is like 70% of it) so they need to get rid of whichever character is dominating low elo matches.
On the other hand, they also want their game to be competitive so we sometimes have champions that are useless before Mid-High Diamond get nerfed, such as Lee Sin a few years ago.
If Riot was in charge of Smash4, our current S/A tier characters would've been nerfed to the ground and the "meta picks" would be like Falco, Bowser Jr. & Ganondorf lol.
Nintendo didn't patch the game every 2 weeks like Riot does for LoL.
The winrate is also a lot different. In Smash we'd have to only count sets as a whole and not separate matches to avoid some counterpick things such as :4dk: being only played on his best stage (T&C). And where do we draw the line between low elo and relevant matches?
In addition, in LoL, you're supposed to be matched against players of your level. It's not the case on Smash. Judging from the winrate isn't adequate here.
I'm starting to understand that you really like comparisons, but in that case it's not appropriate.

I'd like to hear what you have to say on muscle memory & bullet arts, though.

As an aside, you mentioned the link between reaction time & age. I agree on that, which is why some things like "MKLeo is so good and he's only 15" feel wrong to me. MKLeo is indeed extremely good, but it's an advantage to be this young. I'll use myself as an example, during the brawl era, I was much more talented that I am right now. Aging sucks.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
But this typical response right now is kinda reminding me of people bringing up Ivan Ooze (from a power rangers SNES fighting game, look it up) when players were readily denying MK was broken or banworthy. It's funny now that the norm view here is that MK is a demon that Bayo is not allowed to be compared to.
I recall a majority comparing MK to SSF2T Akuma moreso than Ooze, but the situation is still the same.

I think a lot of new players that didn't grow up during the early Melee/Brawl days aren't grasping that the overall vices brought up against Bayonetta in Smash 4 aren't coming from a competitive standpoint, but from a community health perspective. Plenty of us want her gone because she's actively demotivating or killing the enjoyment players have had for the game up until this point, and having her continue to dominate the local scenes as she is brings nothing but harm to the playerbase. It's typically something people would call scrubby but it's what's happening, at least at the local level.

I find it hard to say anything that wouldn't just be parroting Shaya and Illusion's recent posts, and all I can really do beyond that is provide anecdotal evidence to it: Plenty of my local community's players have become disenfranchised because of her, and roughly half of our stronger players have either quit, or begrudgingly continue to play in spite of how negatively she influences their enjoyment.

I've always had the mindset to prioritize my local scene over everything else, but ruleset standards are typically aimed towards catering to the global status quo, so it's fairly difficult to convince TOs, and specifically new players to the series, about making alternate changes with stages, characters, stock count, etc. However, I'd rather force an alternative than to just watch the character almost completely deconstruct my community until there's practically nothing left. If my community keeps her just because "everyone else does it," then it will absolutely die.

Banning Bayonetta is not, will not, and will never be a competitive change to the ruleset. That's something that I really want a lot of players to understand when they're replying with, "Bayonetta isn't broken," or "Bayonetta is beatable." That's missing the point.

With that said, there's also nothing wrong with banning her for alternative reasons that threaten a community's health, but only if that change improves the enjoyment the community gets out of the game.

Smash Bros has always been a game of variety, and we players have always been given a choice for how we want to play. We've done it with items, stages, stocks, time, and game modes. Characters are just as fair game.

:applejack:

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Reasons extend far beyond just the pace of the game.

Greater depth is the biggest reason. Even over 15 years of its inception, people are finding new things out about Melee.

Another one is the significantly more effective movement options. Movement in the later Smash games feels just so restricted in comparison (no crouching out of a run, a shorter initial dash, etc.).
I was mainly talking about the perspective of the character's playstyles in the higher tiers, but you are absolutely right. Sadly, the new stuff found in Melee only makes the stronger characters even stronger, with the lower tiered characters not as changed as much (except for maybe Game & Watch).

Sometimes it does feel like that SSB4 has greater depth due to the many people claiming that XXXX character is underrated and needs to be unlocked, even though I know that it isn't true. Unlike early Melee, we have better technology on figuring out character's strengths, weaknesses, and how they changed from their previous incarnations. Many SSB4 players are unaware that this factor exists, leading to the whole "Roy, Falco, and Lucas is underrated" conversations and discussions beginning, despite their glaring weaknesses and lack of relevant results throughout SSB4's history. It leads to my earlier comment about characters having weaknesses that directly affect their ability to use their strengths, being overlooked by the fans and players.

In other words (and this is somewhat restating the comment), it is very common for SSB4 character's peak being reached early, due to this decrease in depth, yet people cannot (or refused too, in some extreme cases) see it.

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
Bayo isn't good enough to deserve a ban but she's at least for sure sucking the fun out of the game for many high-level players. That's an objective observation, not a value judgment.

KakuCP9

What does it mean to be strong?
Slight addendum to Soildsense's point. While people's enjoyment is purely subjective, when something is immensely unhealthy for a game such that a very large number of the community from various skill levels hate it, it should be acknowledged despite the reactions being guttural emotion.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Dominant options? She's not the only one to have a ton of powerful options. Plus, her only REALLY dominant option is Witch Time.
It's obviously a broken move, it's in my opinion the best in the game and it would make a lot of bottom/low tier characters jump like 2 whole tiers if it was given to them.
She has a LOT of good options, but in terms of really dominant ones, I think she has less than Cloud (U-air, Limit Specials) & Diddy (F-air, Banana).
Her good options just happen to have a powerful synergy, with one of her only weakness (high start-up on good moves) being compensated by the threat of WTi.
Not that it makes her any less good than those two, but I just wanted to point that out.
:metaknight: had Tornado, U-air, Shuttle Loop, D-Smash and a ton of other top tier options (those 4 moves were the really broken ones though).

We're talking about LoL now?
Riot doesn't want to balance the game. They want a rotation between OP & Viable champions while trying out new features so that they keep their playerbase interested by the game (people want novelty).
They can't ignore the Gold/Silver/Bronze playerbase (which is like 70% of it) so they need to get rid of whichever character is dominating low elo matches.
On the other hand, they also want their game to be competitive so we sometimes have champions that are useless before Mid-High Diamond get nerfed, such as Lee Sin a few years ago.
If Riot was in charge of Smash4, our current S/A tier characters would've been nerfed to the ground and the "meta picks" would be like Falco, Bowser Jr. & Ganondorf lol.
Nintendo didn't patch the game every 2 weeks like Riot does for LoL.
The winrate is also a lot different. In Smash we'd have to only count sets as a whole and not separate matches to avoid some counterpick things such as :4dk: being only played on his best stage (T&C). And where do we draw the line between low elo and relevant matches?
In addition, in LoL, you're supposed to be matched against players of your level. It's not the case on Smash. Judging from the winrate isn't adequate here.
I'm starting to understand that you really like comparisons, but in that case it's not appropriate.

I'd like to hear what you have to say on muscle memory & bullet arts, though.

As an aside, you mentioned the link between reaction time & age. I agree on that, which is why some things like "MKLeo is so good and he's only 15" feel wrong to me. MKLeo is indeed extremely good, but it's an advantage to be this young. I'll use myself as an example, during the brawl era, I was much more talented that I am right now. Aging sucks.
Perhaps dominant kit would sit better. Semantics going all over. I also reworded parts of my above post (I'm an edit fiend).
The amount of options at her disposal is dominant.
But while other characters might have tons of powerful options, they tend to have mighty powerful drawbacks, somewhere.
Limit specials by nature are limited, as is Diddy's banana (and while great, it can be used against him and people are getting better at this). Cloud's up air is insane with really no shortfalls by itself; but it doesn't have negligible end lag that can then have one of 50 (exaggerated number) different really good options chosen afterwards, ones which kill, do damage, bring her to safety, etc etc.
A lot of my putdowns of those options listed can be said about Bayo too, I don't deny this.
Options aren't singular, options are flowing and multi-stepped/faceted.
On the point of Diddy's fair, personally have advocated it is overrated for a while now; it isn't drawing the same level of ire as it once did (it's use at the ledge as a wall is domineering, but again, specific limited situation/location).
Sometime last year I realised/noted that Zero Suit's back air is a bigger hitbox and more disjointed than Diddy's fair (less range of course); it obviously isn't as easy to use, but used properly it wins. Whenever I see Nairo bair a Diddy's fair I feel all gooey inside (not only bair, but he uses tons of options to punish it now such as boost kicking from underneath it), Diddy's lack of aerial mobility and it only being solid with a single timing for autocancels is very limiting (*** this is an important thing for your inquiry on muscle memory and BA). Also it can have a lot of its pressure negated by being short or crouching.

Meta Knight's down smash was awesome but it wasn't broken. -20ish on block. It's speed just bowled people over for a very long time. I'd still really despise the fact that a 6 sorry 5 frame low to the ground smash attack could nick me and I'd die near the ledge (edge guarded or otherwise), but this tended to only ever happen to me verses much better players than I (like Tyrant/M2K).

My comparisons, including that of LoL is meant to mostly be abstract (this is where it oft gets confusing; I don't intend to choose invalid or inappropriate ones). Bayonetta might not be as dominant as MK, or might never be; but we're in a game with a lot more characters so it's to be expected.
What line we draw or set is unfortunately up to us.
Signs of a continuing trend of increasing dominance out of line with the rest of the upper cast is probably enough IMO, whatever that dominance number is now (10%? I think someone said?) compared to Brawl MKs (which at this time was in the 20-30%).
Most players are playing people of their own skill level, or within reach. Locals, regionals or Gold/Silver/Bronze. Riot style balancing for Smash would be awful.
There could be a similar statistic we could derive for Smash, but we tend to rely on just big tournaments. That's missing out on a lot of everywhere else as well.

So, falling back on Diddy's fair having a single optimal use case and a generally underwhelming use case otherwise is important. A player could only use the optimal use case, and this causes problems for many players for a long time. But as it's one timing, one recognisable situation, we can develop muscle memory or reactive options to overcome them that once learned will generally be consistent and work for you indefinitely.
MK's options were all like this - Tornado and Forward Tilt in particular, but there was a flow to them that allowed people to get acutely strong at dealing with them. I don't think that level of prerequisites to compete is really fair (in the sense that it's detrimental to the game's health).
Bullet Arts/ability for her to continue attacks and hitboxes without lag drawbacks (contrast to MK ftilt/tornado) is something unique only to her, ever - and it allows layers of timing differences that will get in the way of a person seeing, reacting, winning like they could most other dominant options. If the option isn't working for Bayo, they can hold A for less amount of time or longer, and it becomes a different 'thing' to deal with, you have to read how long they do that for, instead of just seeing the start of something and acting accordingly.

In my view, a person who has 10 years of experience vs another person of 10 years of experience - the younger one will do better. Genetics matter as well.
I could go into a huge diatribe about top level tennis right now.
Federer is still capable of winning grand slams.
So is Nadal, despite statistically/technically being weaker and slower in every facet of his game (runs slower, speed and power of shots worse across the board, etc) compared to 4 years ago / prior to his injury hiatuses.
No one is as good as them in terms of experience, and they've still maintained themselves physically to an appropriate level. However, once someone younger has bridged that gap, it tends to be a one way street.

Djokavic lost to a 21 year old Korean player, Hyeon Chung last night in 3 sets. It was beautiful tennis.
Chung idolizes Djovakic and played an almost perfect replication of Djokavic at his best, the way Chung played last night indicates to me he could very well be the next champion/world number 1.
Despite Djokavic coming back from an injury hiatus (and how long it takes to 'get back into the swing of things' after breaks takes longer and longer as we age), if someone is already matching his potency while being 10 years his junior, will Djokavic ever be able to live up to his 'arguably best tennis player ever' status? (harder seeing as "guess who's no.1/2!?" again).
I'm sure it's going to be really tough for him now. Losses like that mark the [beginning of the] end of careers.

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
To go to logical extremes, imagine that smash 4 were reduced to competitive watching of paint drying on a wall, i.e. who can hold his eyes open the longest without blinking while watching (this is an analog for Salem platform-camping you for 7 minutes straight, by the way). Would you still play the game?

Obviously Bayo is so much less extreme than this as to render the analogy laughable, but the point is certainly not laughable. We play games to have fun. Yes, even competitive games. Even played competitively.

And even if all of this is only an issue at top level, so what? Top level is what's streamed most often, and what most players aspire to if they compete in this game. Top-level issues percolate down and affect the rest of us with equal or even greater intensity.

Whether or not Bayo should be banned, I don't think that it's fair to simply write off concerns about her by reducing them to l2play issues in sarcastic voices. That's tonally ignorant.

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Okay. I’m going to break down some of the Bayo/MK comparison and what domination looks like.

But let’s get some stuff out of the way:

Brawl and Smash 4 started completely differently, and Smash 4 had patches. Additionally, due to the staggered release of new characters, meta progression is going to be different, by nature.

But I’ll start with a few premises that I see:

1.) Bayo has such dominant tools that she is a relatively weaker/better version of Brawl MK.

2.) MK and Bayo’s trends/paths in the meta will be, or are currently, similar.

So, I took a deep dive into tournament results over the first two years of both games. For Smash 4, I started with the advent of patch 1.16, as it effectively started the meta we have today. Again, direct comparison is limited.

Also, keep in mind I wasn’t sure what I would find, as my memory isn’t perfect (obviously), and I was intrigued to see into the past.

Anyway, I surveyed top 8s/7sin the listed majors on the SSB wiki. Why top 8s, if Brawl had a smaller cast? Because I didn’t have time to tabulate top 12s for Smash 4, if that’s even a thing that directly would correlate anyway. I was also more interested to see which characters got you into the money.

I’m specifically looking at percent of players that used either Bayo or MK in top 8.

Meta Knight

July 2008

Early on in Brawl’s life, only three major tourneys were recorded. In top 8, Meta Knight was used by 34.5% of the players.

Through Brawl’s first year, 43% of players in top 8 used MK.

In Brawl’s second year, 47.75% of players in top 8 used MK.

Overall, 41.75% of players used MK to win to get to top 8 or to win in top 8 over two years.

His usage by top players increased by 38% over two years.

Bayo
March 2016:
... okay so there were a ton of majors and massive regionals. So I’m going to do a slightly less involved overview.

- She doesn’t make an appearance in top 8 until Pound 2016 in April.

- She makes her first 2 simultaneous appearances in top 8 at Battle Arena Melbourne in May.

-She had a less than 1/8 or 12.5% player usage in top 8.
From the 1.16 patch to the end of 2016, she had 11 appearances in top 8. Total. Out of 26 top 8s opportunities.

- For 2017, her usage in top 8’s slightly improved, with occasional spikes. But all in all a rough average of one player in top 8 used Bayo across 2017 due to a lot of no-shows in the first half of the year.

- A major exception was the ironically named Low Tier City which had 4 top 8 players using Bayo. That tourney result made me both impressed and feel for @Illusion.

For a more recent view: the final six months up to now gives us:

19 tournaments. She had a good start, with high usage, then went through a lull of no or one top 8 appearance, then slowly came back to 1-2 uses in top 8.

- Overall, for the last sixth months, players used her 19% of the time in top 8. This is an increase of around 7-9% since she was patched.

Analysis:
MK had always been a fixture in the top level of the game essentially since release. And his usage grew from there. His dominant tools were at least reflected in his adoption over the first two years, even if popular opinion was mixed.

For fun: a proportional adjustment of his percent of use according to roster size would put his two year usage at 28% if his game had a roster of 58. His year 2 usage would be 32%.

Bayo admittedly got hit with the patches, and her usage most likely dipped due to that. Her usage has gone up as 2017 went on, but it hasn’t been consistent.

Anyway, with this little dive, I’m not seeing enough support of either of the two original premises.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
To go to logical extremes, imagine that smash 4 were reduced to competitive watching of paint drying on a wall, i.e. who can hold his eyes open the longest without blinking while watching (this is an analog for Salem platform-camping you for 7 minutes straight, by the way). Would you still play the game?

Obviously Bayo is so much less extreme than this as to render the analogy laughable, but the point is certainly not laughable. We play games to have fun. Yes, even competitive games. Even played competitively.

And even if all of this is only an issue at top level, so what? Top level is what's streamed most often, and what most players aspire to if they compete in this game. Top-level issues percolate down and affect the rest of us with equal or even greater intensity.

Whether or not Bayo should be banned, I don't think that it's fair to simply write off concerns about her by reducing them to l2play issues in sarcastic voices. That's tonally ignorant.
I think Bayos know this, which is why they're typically at the forefront of spreading anti-Bayo information. Which is extremely helpful, of course.

But thus far, it hasn't been enough for anyone save for the current best player in the world (IMO). And his counterplay isn't easily replicated.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
The major point of data we relied on back at the time was Ankoku's system which used entry fee/entry numbers as it's classification point and only considered top 8s, all tournaments/regions were valid (within reason, 1v1s, no items, etc)
Encroachment of 50% of top 8s at majors - this is indeed what we were seeing at around this point (in actuality, almost every point). It's scary to remember it like that.
Most large regionals had a lot of players who could deal with their own region's MKs so there was a bit more variety - the overall tally of points for MK at around this time was 20-30% and Snake usually came out 2nd in the low 10s.
I don't think we even really had definitions/understandings of majors then like we do now, nor the amount of them, a bulk of the weighted data wouldn't be from majors.

Last edited:

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Since Hyrule Saga has been confirmed, what players from other countries are you all looking foward to seeing in action? For me it has to be:
:4link: : Izaw, Cat(T is basically a must so I didn't include him).
:4ganondorf: : Gungnir, Ray Kalm, Adom.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
I was mainly talking about the perspective of the character's playstyles in the higher tiers, but you are absolutely right. Sadly, the new stuff found in Melee only makes the stronger characters even stronger, with the lower tiered characters not as changed as much (except for maybe Game & Watch).

Sometimes it does feel like that SSB4 has greater depth due to the many people claiming that XXXX character is underrated and needs to be unlocked, even though I know that it isn't true. Unlike early Melee, we have better technology on figuring out character's strengths, weaknesses, and how they changed from their previous incarnations. Many SSB4 players are unaware that this factor exists, leading to the whole "Roy, Falco, and Lucas is underrated" conversations and discussions beginning, despite their glaring weaknesses and lack of relevant results throughout SSB4's history. It leads to my earlier comment about characters having weaknesses that directly affect their ability to use their strengths, being overlooked by the fans and players.

In other words (and this is somewhat restating the comment), it is very common for SSB4 character's peak being reached early, due to this decrease in depth, yet people cannot (or refused too, in some extreme cases) see it.
The lack of evidence isn’t evidence of a limit.

Can’t say,” these characters are garbage because they have no results” and then spin it around and say,” we’ve seen the best of these characters because they have no results.”

Where would duck hunt be in most minds without Raito and You3 (haven’t seen brood in a while)? I remember DunnoBro maining the character and struggling with him. He end up writing the character off after struggling for too long and picked up Mario. Had it not been for the Japanese duck hunts, we would’ve thought we’ve seen the peak back in 2015.

Or what about Luigi? Mr. ConCon and Boss? Where would Luigi be without Elegant, who pushed him waaay past concon and boss, and made Luigi incredibly threatening and made collective opinions on him more positive?

Smash 4 being in present times like this with the wide information available doesn’t invalidate untapped potential with characters. Not everyone has been studied to the depth of current meta characters. Even characters with good material written on them won’t be written at a high enough level. You have to figure things out in the dark, with little resources to fall back on.

Less than a third of the character has been fully explored.

Last edited:

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Since Hyrule Saga has been confirmed, what players from other countries are you all looking foward to seeing in action? For me it has to be:
:4link: : Izaw, Cat(T is basically a must so I didn't include him).
:4ganondorf: : Gungnir, Ray Kalm, Adom.
Scizor and Slenderman to add onto your list of Links
Opana, Pon, A2ZOMG, Vermanubis, and Vishera for ganon
lotta sheisk so no need to listthem tbh
Fairess and Pendulum for Zelda (I think Ven's retired....)

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Scizor and Slenderman to add onto your list of Links
Opana, Pon, A2ZOMG, Vermanubis, and Vishera for ganon
lotta sheisk so no need to listthem tbh
Fairess and Pendulum for Zelda (I think Ven's retired....)
You have this backwards, Fairess is the one who retired. Ven was at G5 and took Aarvark to game 3 at the event.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
random factoid as I do what I can best referred to as "emergency research"

WHOBO 1 was one year after Brawl's release and the game's 5th and saw 7/8 of its top 8 comprise of Meta Knights. It's been two years since Bayonetta's release and the worst example I can think of is 3/8 of Low Tier City (Lima/Zack/Mistake) being Bayos, albeit none won that event (whereas all the top 4 of WHOBO 1 was MK)

Last edited:

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
I think at this point the main argument for banning Bayo has nothing to do with her results or viability, but that she makes the game un-fun for people. Whether that alone constitutes a ban is up for debate.

But thus far, it hasn't been enough for anyone save for the current best player in the world (IMO). And his counterplay isn't easily replicated.
Well before we come to that conclusion we should at least try to break down what Leo does vs Bayonetta. First off the character Leo uses doesn't have a particularly high skill or tech ceiling, so learning to use Marth shouldn't be a problem for most people. Secondly we can go into how Leo handles each phase of the matchup.

When the match starts, Bayos tend to force approaches with full hop n-air and d-tilt bullet arts. To counter this, Leo will approach Bayonetta slowly while spacing himself from burst options like ABK and Heelslide. Next he usually draws first blood by baiting an unsafe d-tilt bullet art and punishing it with a dash grab, from this point on he'll try to lock Bayo in a juggle situation where Bayos either retreat to the ledge or land aggressively with an aerial. With Marth's excellent startup frames and disjoints Leo can reactively punish both scenarios.

One thing Bayo thrives off of in most matchups is her shield safety combined with her shield crossups and mixups. This is a lot less of a problem for Marth because of his amazing startup frames and OOS options like Dancing Blade, so Bayos can't afford to be as reckless especially with the threat of Marth's tipper.

Actually it can't be stressed enough how great Dancing Blade is in this matchup. It's a frame 6 option that can be performed out of a dash that's quick enough to punish even the slightest commitments from Bayo while also being a dependable kill option. The majority of Leo's kills are performed using this move.

Disadvantage is tough for Marth, once Bayo finally lands that one hit he'll need to be on point with SDI and try to reset neutral quickly, but because Marth is combo food he can be easy to vortex and extend combos on. However if Bayo makes an overextension, like for instance Marth dropping out of a ladder combo, Marth can immediately punish Bayo with a tipper u-air. Recovery is hard as well, but again if Bayo overextends then Marth can reverse the situation and potentially kill Bayo for it.

Next we can delve into Leo's mentality. There's a lot of comments pointing out that playing against Bayo demands "perfection" and that statement couldn't be more untrue. In the set I linked above both Leo and Salem make a bunch of mistakes and suboptimal choices during their matches. But you see, the thing most players should learn from Leo is that he rarely gets flustered or impatient even when he's at a deficit. Sometimes he'll just stand still mid-match and do nothing, because he doesn't feel like he has to press buttons when there's no need to. To beat Bayo you don't need to be perfect, you just need to be smart and aware of what your character can do in each given situation.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
So last Friday, I wrote something about Bayonetta that's kind of pertinent to the current discussion: https://ogiuemaniax.com/2018/01/19/dominatrix-gameplay-the-sm-fighting-style-of-smash-4-bayonetta/

The TL, DR of it is that Bayonetta plays like a dominatrix, in the sense that she denies easy pleasure.

In Melee, you can lose to Fox, but that ONE stock where you chain grabbed him and did 90% before dunking him makes you feel like great.

In Smash 4, each consecutive hit you land on Bayonetta actually requires more work than the last. And if you try to just go all-out, you get eaten up by a Witch Time/Witch Twist and that's the end of that chapter.

Because of this difference, getting 3-stocked by Fox (but getting that one sweet combo!!!) is arguably more encouraging than losing a last stock, last hit situation against Bayo The former lets the average person feel powerful even in defeat. Gaining inspiration from the latter is less relatable for most.

One thing I'm surprised about is that there actually aren't a TON of in-depth anti-Bayonetta guides. What's there is definitely helpful (I think Zinoto's is especially good), but for such a strong character it's odd that we're not just drowning in guides.

Something that might ironically be hurting Smash 4 development is the fact that it's never had a central hub for strategy. In a recent Ultrachen episode, they talked about how having all fighting game strategy discussion move to DIscord and Facebook groups, etc. is actually a regression in terms of learning a game. When you had a big forum like Smashboards or Shoryuken be more prominent, people could go to a board and access a greater hub of knowledge and community interaction. With Discord, etc., it's almost like the dark ages when regions would literally hide tech from each other. The internet and streams make it so that once something's revealed it quickly disseminates, but perhaps having all the Marios talking to the Marios instead of to the Luigis might be preventing the collective knowledge of the Smash 4 community from tackling Bayonetta more efficiently.

Last edited:

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Espy Rose Espy Rose - every community has to look out for itself. As most Smash communities aren’t made up of entirely PGR players or whatever, there is little risk to banning Bayo for any given community right now, regardless of where the meta goes.

I’m fairly anti-Bayo ban for the meta at large. But I can’t really say much to the folks that want to Old Sagat Bayo. Gotta look out for your people, first. It’s why we got custom communities, and 3 stocks, and all that.

NairWizard NairWizard - you probably aren’t aiming this at me, but I don’t think I’m chalking this sarcastically up to “lol git gud.” If I am then my apologies.
Anyway, the “watching paint dry” example also applies to Wrath-style Sonics, which were heavily attacked by the community as degenerative and not fun. Well, actually just Wrath was attacked, really. Banning things for non-competitive reasons is tricky, which is why I’m all for individual communities trialing whatever they want without judgment.

|RK| |RK| - I don’t think much of what the fundamentals of what Leo is doing is beyond the average player. I don’t think the average player will suddenly start
3-0ing their local Bayo, but observing what Leo, Dabuz, WaDi, and more increasingly Nairo and Void are doing will make the match much more tenable.

Which leads me to:

Nobie Nobie - Zinoto’s guide is good. But combine it with Blank’s to get something comprehensive, as Blank’s video corrects some of Zinoto’s and expands on other things.

Beyond that, I can’t really recommend it enough, but if you are computer savvy at all or have a computer savvy friend, get the training... uh... helper online. It makes a world of difference for everything.

Everything.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
For reference this is the project I was referring to
https://smashboards.com/threads/character-rankings-list-post-march-2010.165954/

If you're lucky you can find people quoting the main lists (I searched "S Rank" [in quotes] and got some luck).
I think all of the data ever used for it is available on linked website on the main post.

Accidental nostalgia
Also, to always allow power and knowledge of the 'facts' to more people (double postan). Using tournament results as its only basis, here is a tier list using the same style (no, not really, but it looks similar :)) as the SBR's Final Melee Tier list.

Top Tier
Meta Knight [9.9]

High Tier...

Middle Tier...

Low Tier
Snake [4.2]

Top of Bottom Tier
King Dedede [2.2]
Wario [2.0]

High of Bottom Tier
Mr. Game & Watch [1.8]
Marth [1.7]

Middle of Bottom Tier
Olimar [1.3]
Lucario [1.2]
R.O.B. [1.2]
Falco [1.2]
Diddy Kong [1.1]
Kirby [1.0]

Low of Bottom Tier
Donkey Kong [0.9]
Peach [0.8]
Pikachu [0.8]
Ice Climbers [0.7]
Wolf [0.7]
Sonic [0.7]

Bottom BOTTOM tier
Zero Suit Samus [0.5]
Pit [0.5]
Toon Link [0.4]
Luigi [0.3]
Bowser [0.2]
Fox [0.2]
Ike [0.2]
Mario [0.1]
Yoshi [0.1]
Captain Falcon [0.1]

Worthless in this game Tier
Lucas [0.0]
Link [0.0]
Ness [0.0]
Pokemon Trainer [0.0]
Jigglypuff [0.0]
Samus [0.0]
Ganondorf [0.0]

Top Third of October [finalised I would believe]
Handling: Oct 08 [43 tourneys]
Meta Knight 651.08 [27.09%] - [ 41.86% / 30.23% / 26.74% / 19.18% ]
Snake 298.89 [12.43%] - [ 23.25% / 16.27% / 18.60% / 12.20% ]
Wario 157.68 [6.56%] - [ 4.65% / 6.97% / 3.48% / 1.74% ]
Marth 131.23 [5.46%] - [ 11.62% / 4.65% / 10.46% / 11.04% ]
King Dedede 113.18 [4.70%] - [ 4.65% / 13.95% / 8.13% / 7.55% ]
Mr. Game & Watch 104.36 [4.34%] - [ 4.65% / 2.32% / 5.81% / 6.97% ]
R.O.B. 97.26 [4.04%] - [ 2.32% / 2.32% / 9.30% / 5.81% ]
Lucario 90.79 [3.77%] - [ 13.95% / 2.32% / 4.65% / 3.48% ]
Donkey Kong 78.75 [3.27%] - [ 2.32% / 6.97% / 4.65% / 5.81% ]
Diddy Kong 64.43 [2.68%] - [ 0.0% / 4.65% / 4.65% / 5.81% ]
Olimar 60.81 [2.53%] - [ 4.65% / 2.32% / 6.97% / 2.90% ]
Falco 58.39 [2.42%] - [ 4.65% / 0.0% / 6.97% / 3.48% ]
% of top 8 / % of top 4 / % of top 2 / % wins

Last edited:

Minordeth

Smash Ace
For reference this is the project I was referring to
https://smashboards.com/threads/character-rankings-list-post-march-2010.165954/

If you're lucky you can find people quoting the main lists (I searched "S Rank" [in quotes] and got some luck).
I think all of the data ever used for it is available on linked website on the main post.

Accidental nostalgia

% of top 8 / % of top 4 / % of top 2 / % wins
That’s... actually kind of awesome and hilarious at the same time.

That percent for MK and Snake... the disparity is real. The 2010 update in the link is even more hilarious.

It’s like a lesson on economic inequality as seen through a fighting game.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I am kinda upset we're taking such serious consideration on banning a character based off a concept such as enjoyment while ignoring the actual data.
I don't even think many characters would actually benefit, none really has this "Bayo keeps me from being viable" trait like some used to in Brawl.
Other FGC communities will laugh at Smash kinds for not being able to deal with a top tier and banning it (not like other FGCs matter much but man, this would give such a bad impression for the public).

But it's not like I have any hope up for this community anyway.
Do what you must, I'm not defending the character anymore.
:196:

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
That’s... actually kind of awesome and hilarious at the same time.

That percent for MK and Snake... the disparity is real. The 2010 update in the link is even more hilarious.

It’s like a lesson on economic inequality as seen through a fighting game.
MK's prevalence as a pocket/secondary for everyone at every level made these numbers a little awkward.
Dedede was the second most common pocket.
The general rule was 'character which helped you advance to top 8 or further', so yolo picks that lost didn't count, someone switching to MK on the opponent's stage pick was a debate for whether they should be counted - and of course that would mean half of someone's win with 90% Falco would go to MK.

So for most people, any sign of Ice Climbers meant picking MK, any sign of someone picking Rainbow Cruise or various other stages was an instant MK as well. For any sign of DK or like, most of low or mid tier, Dedede would come in. People would have their Snake ready for Halberd too.
Comparing that to smash4 where there's a lot more diversity in the pocket/secondary picks and a lot more tendency to stick to your main (generally people developed secondaries for their 'bad stages' more so than just having something fresh or different to try out mid set like we see now).

I would've probably had MK next to my name maybe as much as a third of the time. Dedede sparingly too.
There was an attitude of 'better use MK' which was a lot stronger but somewhat comparable to 'better use Cloud'.

A re-processing of the data might be helpful. Truly separating out the 'small' usages that counted for so much would be pretty darn difficult, as there was a community bias to ensure any inkling of MK was noted as to further emphasise his dominance through data.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I think at this point the main argument for banning Bayo has nothing to do with her results or viability, but that she makes the game un-fun for people. Whether that alone constitutes a ban is up for debate.

Well before we come to that conclusion we should at least try to break down what Leo does vs Bayonetta. First off the character Leo uses doesn't have a particularly high skill or tech ceiling, so learning to use Marth shouldn't be a problem for most people. Secondly we can go into how Leo handles each phase of the matchup.

When the match starts, Bayos tend to force approaches with full hop n-air and d-tilt bullet arts. To counter this, Leo will approach Bayonetta slowly while spacing himself from burst options like ABK and Heelslide. Next he usually draws first blood by baiting an unsafe d-tilt bullet art and punishing it with a dash grab, from this point on he'll try to lock Bayo in a juggle situation where Bayos either retreat to the ledge or land aggressively with an aerial. With Marth's excellent startup frames and disjoints Leo can reactively punish both scenarios.

One thing Bayo thrives off of in most matchups is her shield safety combined with her shield crossups and mixups. This is a lot less of a problem for Marth because of his amazing startup frames and OOS options like Dancing Blade, so Bayos can't afford to be as reckless especially with the threat of Marth's tipper.

Actually it can't be stressed enough how great Dancing Blade is in this matchup. It's a frame 6 option that can be performed out of a dash that's quick enough to punish even the slightest commitments from Bayo while also being a dependable kill option. The majority of Leo's kills are performed using this move.

Disadvantage is tough for Marth, once Bayo finally lands that one hit he'll need to be on point with SDI and try to reset neutral quickly, but because Marth is combo food he can be easy to vortex and extend combos on. However if Bayo makes an overextension, like for instance Marth dropping out of a ladder combo, Marth can immediately punish Bayo with a tipper u-air. Recovery is hard as well, but again if Bayo overextends then Marth can reverse the situation and potentially kill Bayo for it.

Next we can delve into Leo's mentality. There's a lot of comments pointing out that playing against Bayo demands "perfection" and that statement couldn't be more untrue. In the set I linked above both Leo and Salem make a bunch of mistakes and suboptimal choices during their matches. But you see, the thing most players should learn from Leo is that he rarely gets flustered or impatient even when he's at a deficit. Sometimes he'll just stand still mid-match and do nothing, because he doesn't feel like he has to press buttons when there's no need to. To beat Bayo you don't need to be perfect, you just need to be smart and aware of what your character can do in each given situation.
I think... while helpful, this misses what I mean when I say that Bayo demands perfection.

You can naturally beat Bayo by making a number of errors. You don't need perfection to *beat* her.

But what I mean is - in order to remove *any* chance of dying early or randomly, you must be perfect. Otherwise, you leave the chance for an early death open - whether you win or lose the match.

That's the part that's most frustrating to people. Leo knows when to swing. How to maintain advantage. How to remain comfortable. And he (and others) still say Marth loses the MU.

The average person may get baited into using dancing blade at the wrong time. In fact, even the smartest players do against a Bayo who guessed correctly once.

Actually, even the first item you mentioned - baiting unsafe bullet arts - what if they don't do that? What if they space further and punish your dash grab with another dtilt?

The point is that for many people, Bayo has 0 counterplay that is 100% effective. The example of Melee Fox above is a good one. People like feeling like there's some sort of progress. Even the biggest rage monsters - like Lucario, DK, Bowser, Ryu... all of them have some state where you can feel legitimately comfortable.

Bayo doesn't give you that. You can't keep her offstage or in the air to avoid her. You have to keep fighting her in neutral. Over and over and over again.

And no matter how much you win neutral, you just might lose once, twice, and die.

As someone who personally enjoys fighting Bayo, I don't think that this chain of counterplay is going to be effective. We talk about how to weaken her advantage, how to punish commitments, and generally play neutral.

People won't find that helpful. Because they know they can't be perfect, and one split second error could cost them all of their hard work. So unless there's some guaranteed method of avoiding these situations, people are going to continue to get frustrated.

I am kinda upset we're taking such serious consideration on banning a character based off a concept such as enjoyment while ignoring the actual data.
I don't even think many characters would actually benefit, none really has this "Bayo keeps me from being viable" trait like some used to in Brawl.
I even think other FGC communities will laugh at Smash kinds for not being able to deal with a top tier and banning it (not like other FGCs matter much but man, this would give such a bad impression for the public).

But it's not like I have any hope up for this community anyway.
Do what you must, I'm not defending the character anymore.
Well, yeah. The thing is that it really has nothing to do with data. People just want Sinji vs Lima & Nairo vs Mistake to stop happening.

They want to see people rewarded for playing well. And then they want the frustration part - the camping in particular - to end. It's a series of things, but the idea that there's no set win condition vs Bayo is possibly the biggest issue people have.

Is there another top tier in some other fighting game that has frequently won matches from behind? While also playing safer than the whole cast?

Last edited:

Minordeth

Smash Ace
MK's prevalence as a pocket/secondary for everyone at every level made these numbers a little awkward.
Dedede was the second most common pocket.
The general rule was 'character which helped you advance to top 8 or further', so yolo picks that lost didn't count, someone switching to MK on the opponent's stage pick was a debate for whether they should be counted - and of course that would mean half of someone's win with 90% Falco would go to MK.

So for most people, any sign of Ice Climbers meant picking MK, any sign of someone picking Rainbow Cruise or various other stages was an instant MK as well. For any sign of DK or like, most of low or mid tier, Dedede would come in.
Comparing that to smash4 where there's a lot more diversity in the pocket/secondary picks and a lot more tendency to stick to your main.

I would've probably had MK next to my name maybe as much as a third of the time. Dedede sparingly too.
There was an attitude of 'better use MK' which was a lot stronger but somewhat comparable to 'better use Cloud'.
Makes sense. More often than not, pockets don’t work out as well in Smash 4, especially these days. Especially pocket Clouds.

I didn’t put it in my rundown because it was already taking forever, but if I had counted Cloud usage, especially early to mid 2017, he’d probably be well ahead of Bayo. I forgot how common a pocket character he was for a while. Everyone was trying Cloud out.

He was like a new street drug for 5.99.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Putting aside character centralization, or lack of, and focusing on what about fighting bayo specifically is so not fun. There are dozens of reasons that can be summarized as 'she's unfair', specifically to our smash expectations. She is as deadly in disadvantage as in neutral, pokes are unsafe against her and only her because WTi (my personal pet peeve), she ladders you off the top without freefalling and lets be honest she has no real weakness. At least with Cloud we can delude ourselves into thinking he's weak offstage, even though his airspeed, high jumps and big-freaking sword largely negate his poor upB.

Look at it this way: which character would your main benefit the most from having banned? Some characters have Bayo as their worst MU but you'll see at least as many hating the Rosalina MU. So why is Bayo less fair? Rosa has counters like MK and Cloud; character CPing makes her 'fair'. "Don't play DK vs Rosa" but who can you CP for Bayo?
For Link the biggest road block is Sheik. She zone breaks better than anyone else and bats Link around like a catnip toy. Why is Sheik 'fair' when she's twice as fast as Link in neutral? Because winning neutral is seen as an act of skill while being Smash4ed breaks expectations. It's like how playing (American) football against someone your size who's twice as fast seems fair but playing against a 900lbs gorilla is not even if you'd lose harder to the former. This is why characters like Sonic and Diddy are overlooked.

Where do we go from here? I'm not going throw some Cranky Kongisms and say "git gud"; Bayo is a huge pain to fight. She's not going to drop in the meta either. To be realistic she probably won't be banned seeing how Brawl MK wasn't. It's extremely difficult to change the rules for wide reaching sports. Instead try to take neutral into account and accept Bayo breaks rule but that doesn't mean you can't beat her.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Do you want a fun anecdote?
MK wasn't not banned because he was deemed fair. In fact, 75% of the community voted to ban him.

The one and sole reason he wasn't banned was because a japanese player said they (the japanese community) was less likely to fly to America again if we did do that.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Putting aside character centralization, or lack of, and focusing on what about fighting bayo specifically is so not fun. There are dozens of reasons that can be summarized as 'she's unfair', specifically to our smash expectations. She is as deadly in disadvantage as in neutral, pokes are unsafe against her and only her because WTi (my personal pet peeve), she ladders you off the top without freefalling and lets be honest she has no real weakness. At least with Cloud we can delude ourselves into thinking he's weak offstage, even though his airspeed, high jumps and big-freaking sword largely negate his poor upB.

Look at it this way: which character would your main benefit the most from having banned? Some characters have Bayo as their worst MU but you'll see at least as many hating the Rosalina MU. So why is Bayo less fair? Rosa has counters like MK and Cloud; character CPing makes her 'fair'. "Don't play DK vs Rosa" but who can you CP for Bayo?
For Link the biggest road block is Sheik. She zone breaks better than anyone else and bats Link around like a catnip toy. Why is Sheik 'fair' when she's twice as fast as Link in neutral? Because winning neutral is seen as an act of skill while being Smash4ed breaks expectations. It's like how playing (American) football against someone your size who's twice as fast seems fair but playing against a 900lbs gorilla is not even if you'd lose harder to the former. This is why characters like Sonic and Diddy are overlooked.

Where do we go from here? I'm not going throw some Cranky Kongisms and say "git gud"; Bayo is a huge pain to fight. She's not going to drop in the meta either. To be realistic she probably won't be banned seeing how Brawl MK wasn't. It's extremely difficult to change the rules for wide reaching sports. Instead try to take neutral into account and accept Bayo breaks rule but that doesn't mean you can't beat her.
Again, people don't think she's unbeatable. I'm sure many Link players may prefer to have to outplay a Sheik than to almost beat a Bayonetta.

Anyways, as we discuss this, Tyroy wins MSM over K9 with a comeback. The sad part is that I do genuinely feel for the Bayonetta mains, too. They seem to have gotten really good at that thousand-yard stare after they close out a set.

EDIT: Finally watching Blank's guide, and Nairo kinda did exactly what she said to avoid getting faired off the side. Up and in.

Last edited:

FeelMeUp

Smash Lord
NNID
BathMonster
If the Bayo has high amounts of rage and your % is low enough, up and in sometimes still won't save you. Especially sucks because the direction up+in is placed in an awkward spot on the controller, so it's considerably more difficult to do than full up or down.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Again, people don't think she's unbeatable. I'm sure many Link players may prefer to have to outplay a Sheik than to almost beat a Bayonetta.

Anyways, as we discuss this, Tyroy wins MSM over K9 with a comeback. The sad part is that I do genuinely feel for the Bayonetta mains, too. They seem to have gotten really good at that thousand-yard stare after they close out a set.

EDIT: Finally watching Blank's guide, and Nairo kinda did exactly what she said to avoid getting faired off the side. Up and in.
I never said anyone thinks Bayo's unbeatable and Sheik is universally agreed to be Link's worst MU. The point was you have to accept Bayo breaks rules. She's not worse than Cloud or arguably Diddy but you have to play differently vs her. I just watched Zenoto's guide and it was fantastic.

To be clear, I'm not blaming anyone for not wanting to fight bayo. But those who do plan to keep playing ssb4 need to have a unique mind set vs her and play a more grab, projectile and true combo centric game. I had a hell of a time getting my Zair WTi-ed until i abandoned traditional zoning. Now I would rather fight bayo than sheik.

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
Other FGC communities will laugh at Smash kinds for not being able to deal with a top tier and banning it (not like other FGCs matter much but man, this would give such a bad impression for the public).
She won't be banned, no one will even consider it in a serious manner. It took leagues more effort than this kind of meaningless forum discussion and Twitter craze to spark the move toward an MK ban. We won't see any kind of wide-scale ban in the next few years, I assure you.

You don't have to think that she should be banned, but do expect players to leave because of her, and be ready to hear the sentiment expressed repeatedly that she should be banned, because it will be expressed. The other side is never going to simply resign themselves and stop hating on her, and they shouldn't. The frustration is natural, and venting it is even more natural.

Again, I'm not advocating for a ban. I did, however, stop playing and watching this game because of Bayo. In August of 2017 I watched Mistake Heel Slide 3 times in a row in neutral and win the match and set, and then I decided that I was done and had better things to spend my recreational time on than smash 4. I'm sure that others came to a similar conclusion. There's nothing wrong with this; such players and spectators will come and go and is neither a personal affront to you nor to the smash community.

As for why this set bothered me so much: I like intense neutral engagement and yomi-based standoffs. Neutral is the most rewarding and interesting state in fighting games for me as a competitor because the playing field feels fair; for me as an analyst because baits and whiff punishes are clear; and for me as a spectator and enthusiast because (in most games) both characters have a rich selection of options to choose from, even if those options are universal like shield or dodge or roll. Bayo's explosive and unpredictable advantage/disadvantage state de-emphasizes such engaging neutral play and creates a feeling of unfairness for the player and spectator.

People compare her to Sonic or to Rosalina but those characters have predictable non-neutral states often backed by clear and consistent counterplay (outside of janky Rage kills with Rosa up-air). When Sonic or Rosalina has me in the air or offstage I know what my options are and how I can get back to neutral, and what's going to happen to me if I choose the wrong option. With Bayo, I don't have any idea what's going to happen or what I should be doing. If I SDI correctly I might just get blasted to the blast zone randomly, or stage spiked, or take 50%, or get Witch Timed (which, by the way, is not a problem by itself; it's only a problem in conjunction with other Bayo characteristics that work in tandem to create her vortex of chaos).

And there's been little to no development in this area. Despite the effort of players like Myollnir, who does a lot of good work for the community, Bayo players have yet to give us a concise and reapplicable set of rules for dealing with her outside of neutral. Adages like "mix up your SDI" and "don't SDI up against Rage Bayo" are little more than memes or catchphrases at this point, as they are insufficient in practice to prevent match loss. I've seen videos posted of how to completely negate Bayo's advantage state, but I have yet to see any of it put into practice successfully without the Bayos developing even stronger counterplay in response.

Thus the problem is that Bayo doesn't have to play a traditional neutral, and there's no way to force her to do that. But even when a Bayo does play neutral well, it's Salem, and he's platform-camping for half of the match, which is the other extreme of neutral play (overplaying neutral as opposed to not playing it at all).

It's been half a year since I gave up in frustration over Mistake's play and the same player again recently placed 2nd at a major tournament doing the same kinds of things (by the way, I didn't watch Genesis, but tuned in briefly). Top players have had months and months to adapt. They aren't playing the matchup incorrectly, or at least not as incorrectly as you would think. For every mistake these top players are making, the Bayos are making an equivalent mistake, or two or three more in some cases.

People point to MKLeo as a bastion of Bayo counterplay, but MKLeo is very very good, to the point where his play is almost perfect. Do you know how much of a matchup hurdle it's possible to overcome if you play almost perfectly? In the Brawl days, DKWill would go close in sets with top Dededes while playing Donkey Kong, on whom Dedede had an infinite. The matchup was like 80:20 or something in Dedede's favor, and even worse on some stages, yet DKWill made it look pretty close to even when he played, with immaculate spacing and use of platforms.

Just because MKLeo makes Mistake's habits look punishable doesn't mean that Mistake is actually playing badly or that his neutral is bad. It's just that Bayo's neutral doesn't matter. Mistake can totally afford to Heel Slide repeatedly in neutral, because when he finally lands one the reward is going to outweigh all the damage that he took for missing his previous attempts. He only needs to vary the timing and spacing of his approach, and whether he holds down the button or not. This isn't interesting and engaging neutral--this is mere guesswork, and it's often rewarded with a strong placing. Sometimes, his strategy falls flat on its face, but that's not a counterargument against how inane, degenerate, and boring this style of play is.

But hey, the cool thing about opinions is that you aren't obligated to share them or endorse them. For every person who leaves because of Bayo, twenty others will definitely put aside their dislike of her and keep playing and enjoying the game. Or simply won't dislike her at all. As a Bayo, what you can do to curb the dislike is to give other players even more options for counterplay. Or (what I would do) just keep playing her if you enjoy her and ignore the anti-Bayo outcry.

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Yeah, Bayo’s neutral matters. It’s the one place she is the most straightforward and predictable. She can be forced into it, too. Do you have a better projectile? Are you faster? Are you Cloud? No reason to not take a page out of Salem’s book.

Case in point: Heelslide is punishable as soon as it hits your shield. Doesn’t matter the distance, doesn’t matter if she is holding A. It’s not a neutral tool. It’s like a worse version of ZSS tether grab. Mistake got away with it because top players only just started to figure out how her moves work. And, Smash 4 as a whole has a history of autopilot.

It’s easy to try to pin Mistake’s neutral in Genesis on Bayo, like it’s something that is always in her favor. It’s not. Mistake finally lost in Grands not because Leo is so good, but because he was actually punishing Mistake consistently. Leo makes Mistake’s habits look punishable because they are punishable. He couldn’t afford to keep Heelsliding, but he did anyway. It’s partially why he lost.

You see Mistake getting away with stuff and attribute it to Bayo’s risk/reward. I see Mistake, and Lima, and Salem, and Zack, getting away with stuff because they are allowed to. When Salem senses that his opponent is going to challenge his Nairplanes, he doesn’t do them.

Top players are finally displaying new things, even character specific things, even if some of them lost. Nairo actively anti-aired Mistake with Uair, he zoned with paralyzer, he actually SDI’d Witch Twist 1 and Fair consistently enough to generally limit Mistakes combos to 30% or less.

Finally, Leo’s play against Mistake wasn’t near the realm of perfect. He played quite a bit more sloppily than against Salem, as he was flubbing his punishes and spacing. Especially in Game 1. Mistake was sloppy, too. Nairo pointed this out on his Twitter as well.

The thing is, is that it doesn’t need to be perfect. You don’t need to play perfectly to punish Bayo, or force her to approach, or get out of her shenanigans.

Top Bottom