• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List V4 - Competitive Insight & Analysis

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
Fox also travels a notable distance in the span of 1 frame while using Fox Illusion which can allow him to dodge stuff when timed properly.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Looking at this tier list again, it makes me real bloody sad that :4villager: has dropped so far down. Guy got really screwed over as the meta progressed, the top 3 DLC characters all eat him for breakfast, he's in an actual drought results wise, he loses all of the top tier MUs bar maybe ZSS. Ranai is dead in the water these days. He’s been practically replaced by :4olimar: and somewhat:4megaman: in the current meta, since they have much better matchups within the top tiers and can kill, wall out, and rack up damage much easier in less time.

Is it possible at all for :4villager:to rise back up to his former glory?

Last edited:

Nemesis561

Smash Apprentice
Looking at this tier list again, it makes me real bloody sad that :4villager: has dropped so far down. Guy got really screwed over as the meta progressed, the top 3 DLC characters all eat him for breakfast, he’s been practically replaced by :4olimar: and somewhat:4megaman: in the current meta, since they have much better matchups within the top tiers and can kill, wall out, and rack up damage much easier in less time.

No I don’t think so. He is still a really solid character but he struggles not only with DLC (Cloud, Bayo, Corrin) but just with most of the top tiers in general. As the meta continues to progress and we see less mid/low tiers and more top tiers at tournaments, I don’t see Villager’s meta going anywhere but downhill. As you pointed out, I believe some of the other similar zoning characters (Olimar, Megaman, Toon Link) have a better time in the current meta.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
No I don’t think so. He is still a really solid character but he struggles not only with DLC (Cloud, Bayo, Corrin) but just with most of the top tiers in general. As the meta continues to progress and we see less mid/low tiers and more top tiers at tournaments, I don’t see Villager’s meta going anywhere but downhill. As you pointed out, I believe some of the other similar zoning characters (Olimar, Megaman, Toon Link) have a better time in the current meta.
Olimar actually replaced him as the projectile spammy character on my mains list. I feel much more comfortable using Olimar over him nowadays, which is a real big shame since Villager was the first character I ever picked up for real.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Looking at this tier list again, it makes me real bloody sad that :4villager: has dropped so far down. Guy got really screwed over as the meta progressed, the top 3 DLC characters all eat him for breakfast, he's in an actual drought results wise, he loses all of the top tier MUs bar maybe ZSS. Ranai is dead in the water these days. He’s been practically replaced by :4olimar: and somewhat:4megaman: in the current meta, since they have much better matchups within the top tiers and can kill, wall out, and rack up damage much easier in less time.

Villager fell down only because Ranai is gone. I do fear for Villager's future if he doesn't come back, as other Villager players are only doing slightly above average, with a few characters below him, mainly :4greninja::4megaman::4ness:, doing better in tournaments, especially recently.

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
Two videos on Bayonetta were released by Tafokints and Dark Pch respectively.

Tafokints: https://youtu.be/KXE3Gzj8V20

Dark Pch: https://youtu.be/X3uwC-iJaY8

Dark Pch also started releasing counterplay vs Bayonetta videos for his main Peach yesterday.

The Beefy Smash Doods also released a video on the subject but I feel that they did not get anywhere in their video.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Two videos on Bayonetta were released by Tafokints and Dark Pch respectively.

Tafokints: https://youtu.be/KXE3Gzj8V20

Dark Pch: https://youtu.be/X3uwC-iJaY8

Dark Pch also started releasing counterplay vs Bayonetta videos for his main Peach yesterday.

The Beefy Smash Doods also released a video on the subject but I feel that they did not get anywhere in their video.
BSD probably posted the video to reveal the possibility of "Smash News" returning.
https://intheloop837.wordpress.com/...own-of-smash-4s-most-controversial-character/

Bayonetta article has arrived. Monstrous 15k piece detailing her data over the last 2 years.
People outside of Smashboards honestly needs to see this article as well.

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
I honestly hope the phrase "Dabuz meatgrinder" becomes a thing.

also quick question, you said Leo's win rate is based solely off of his record vs abadango, why is that?
Finally, I thought Leo lost to a DK and MuteAce at EVO, might just be my memory though.
Leo lost to False's DK and MuteAce at EVO. That 65th placing is Leo's worst (alongside Civil War) placing in his career, and is the sole reason why Leo isn't 3rd or even 2nd in the PGR v4.
At Civil War, btw, he lost Meteor :4sonic: and AC :4metaknight:(in the ditto as well). He was ill during that event.

Minordeth

Smash Ace
D

Deleted member

Question: Who is the best at punishing Bayonetta out of every top player section?
Answer: My answer could be Dabuz. He did really well against some tough Bayonettas in the finals section, all though I heard he hates fighting Bayonetta. I say we should not ban Cloud in doubles, he can be easily punished if played properly. We should not ban Bayonetta in singles either.
Did Das Koopa release the total results chart in January or did I miss it? Has Diddy Kong been doing better than Sheik all together?
https://intheloop837.wordpress.com/...own-of-smash-4s-most-controversial-character/

Bayonetta article has arrived. Monstrous 15k piece detailing her data over the last 2 years.
Dang, I love your analysis. Thank you for making this!

Last edited by a moderator:

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
Leo lost to False's DK and MuteAce at EVO. That 65th placing is Leo's worst (alongside Civil War) placing in his career, and is the sole reason why Leo isn't 3rd or even 2nd in the PGR v4.
At Civil War, btw, he lost Meteor :4sonic: and AC :4metaknight:(in the ditto as well). He was ill during that event.
AC lost was mostly not the ditto. I watched the periscope live and it was only a ditto game 5.

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
Amazing article, it really shows that Frostbite 2018 wasn't the end of the world, and that we have until the end of 2019 to learn the Bayonetta matchup. The Dabuz meatgrinder though... So true.

D

Deleted member

If this was a tier list based off of 100% aesthetics instead of results, Sheik would be higher than Diddy Kong.
:4sheik:Pros:
>Better match up spread
>Better recovery
>Better framedata
>Better air mobility
>Better ledge trapper
>Better edge guarder
:4diddy:Pros:
>Slightly better neutral
>Solid kill confirm
>Better survivability
>Kills earlier
>Better stage control
I apologize for keeping on comparing Diddy Kong and Sheik, I should really move on.
Dabuz has the best record against Bayonetta players, and has beaten almost every Bayonetta player he has faced in bracket, Top 16, Top 8, and so on.
Makes sense, because Dabuz was the only one able to take on the Bayonettas. Dabuz is good at SDIng and juggling them with up air. Forward smash is good against a predictable Bayonetta, good range but easily punishable though. I saw Dabuz use forward smash as a ledge trap tool quite a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
do you mind telling me what it is...?
And where I can buy one
simply put it kills bayos, letting you slice through them like a hot knife through butter
you can buy it in the top row of the roster under the character named Rosalina and Luma
It will cost you your soul, your fans, and the ability to be entertaining.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Really good article glad this got out since I think the histeria around her was getting out of hand. Even more so compared to other characters.
Can someone post the article to YouTube chats, or anywhere outside of SmashBoards?

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Can someone post the article to YouTube chats, or anywhere outside of SmashBoards?
Don't worry about exposure. It blew up waaaay bigger than I thought it would, got retweeted by a lot of community figures/top players/etc. Everyone's probably seen it by now, I posted it to twitter/reddit as well as here the day I posted it to the blog

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Now if Das Koopa Das Koopa would write something of that quality and length about #FreeMiis, that would be great for the Pro-Mii movement.
Miis are technically legal. It is just custom Miis that are banned. If that is what you meant, then I apologize. It would be cool to see custom Miis in tournament though.

I am still skeptical on the backroom not including Miis in this specific tier list, especially after AEMehr's 13th placement at IBP Masters Showdown. If the reason was a lack of notoriety, then why were they included in previous tier lists?

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
simply put it kills bayos, letting you slice through them like a hot knife through butter
you can buy it in the top row of the roster under the character named Rosalina and Luma
It will cost you your soul, your fans, and the ability to be entertaining.
any matches that show this?

BSP

Smash Legend
As for Pac-Man, I agree a little bit, but Bullet Arts forces Pac-Man to either charge his fruit or approach.
Pac-Man is fine with getting the fruit, and the arts don't really force him to approach. I'm assuming we're talking about dtilt or nair bullets? If the bayo commits to the dtilt bullets, I would SH fruit charge to get ~3 levels of fruit and probably avoid damage. For nair arts, I'd probably take it if it meant getting Galaxian, Bell, or Key.

It also hurts that Pac-Man can't grab, so Bayonetta can do Heel Slides for days and Pac-Man can do nothing about it, aside from throwing fruit.
Pac-Man can punish heel slide just fine, it depends on when Bayo hits his shield. If early, Fsmash in the direction she's going, or Dsmash. During the middle of it, Nair or Dair OOS. For the kick, drop shield Ftilt or dash grab if Pac-Man blocks the early portion of the kick.

The correct way to play the Bayonetta matchup was shown in Sinji vs Lima (?), but as we saw, Bayonetta combos can do things, and Bayonetta can rack up damage faster than Pac-Man.
Pac-Man does fine for the most part but Bayo can rage kill him pretty easily. They're about what and what with damage racking depending on if Pac-Man can land his galaxian.

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
Pac-Man is fine with getting the fruit, and the arts don't really force him to approach. I'm assuming we're talking about dtilt or nair bullets? If the bayo commits to the dtilt bullets, I would SH fruit charge to get ~3 levels of fruit and probably avoid damage. For nair arts, I'd probably take it if it meant getting Galaxian, Bell, or Key.

Pac-Man can punish heel slide just fine, it depends on when Bayo hits his shield. If early, Fsmash in the direction she's going, or Dsmash. During the middle of it, Nair or Dair OOS. For the kick, drop shield Ftilt or dash grab if Pac-Man blocks the early portion of the kick.

Pac-Man does fine for the most part but Bayo can rage kill him pretty easily. They're about what and what with damage racking depending on if Pac-Man can land his galaxian.
True. Pac-Man has weird matchups with the top tiers. He notably does really well against Diddy Kong, but Diddy struggles with zoners in general.

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
Doesnt help if I dont know where to start
Everybody now believes Lucas was overhyped by Taiheita, except for the Lucas mains, everybody believes Ness is now much better than Lucas and that they shouldn't be right next to each other on the tier list. Most people believe DK is the second best counterpick character after Meta Knight, but some believe Bowser is underrated.

Top Bottom