• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List V4 - Competitive Insight & Analysis

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
There is a C tier added for this weekend. It is called "Battle Arena Melbourne 10". What is interesting about this event is that it takes place at Australia. (187 Entrants)

PGR Players
Literally no one.

Notable Players
Extra:4gaw::4wario:
Waveguider:4greninja::4wiifit:
adom:4ganondorf:
Mr. L:4cloud2:

Bonus
Little Z (lol)

Overall, I think this event is "dipping the feet into the water", as the SML is going to Australia and the PG team wants to know the talent there.

Prince Koopa Jr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperLuigiXD
Switch FC
SW-6463-6785-0502
There is a C tier added for this weekend. It is called "Battle Arena Melbourne 10". What is interesting about this event is that it takes place at Australia. (187 Entrants)

PGR Players
Literally no one.

Notable Players

Bonus
Little Z (lol)

Overall, I think this event is "dipping the feet into the water", as the SML is going to Australia and the PG team wants to know the talent there.
Interesting, Australia's Smash 4 scene has some notable players.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
User was warned for this post
To be honest, T has dealt with Abadango so much, that I cannot remember their lifetime record. But since Aba goes Bayo against T, I don't know what he thinks of Mewtwo still at this point.
Ye but that's abadango, his mewtwo is literal trash.

Routa

Smash Lord

PGR Players
Literally no one.

Notable Players

Bonus
Little Z (lol)

I would also like to add that ZartZu :4littlemac: (pretty much active Mac in EU) from Finland is also attending.
He is projected to fight Extra in wr2. He did take him to game 5 in last tournament so it will be interesting "rematch". Hopefully it will get streamed.

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
For example, at Roy's release, DThrow to UpB was seen as his standard bread-and-butter damage dealing method. A lot of development in the advantage state meta focused on simple bread-and-butter combos, and these combos would lead to 20, maybe 30% damage, each. With less damage done per round in advantage state, that necessitated more rounds in advantage state to take a stock, which meant more won neutral encounters were required and that more time spent in the neutral game as a result. Thus, neutral game was more important than advantage.
On the subject of Roy and advantage, that's actually one of his bigger flaws that I never see brought up. His advantage state is not good. It's not bad in a vacuum, but it's one of his weaker points and is pretty weak relative to the rest of the cast, especially compared to Marth.

There are 3 main forms of advantage state, juggling, edgeguarding, and ledgetrapping, and Roy is bad at 2 of them.

Marth is very good at juggling. He can use his stupid walk speed and utilt to completely cover his opponent's landing options. Additionally, his Uair does quite a bit of damage, has lowish landing lag, autocancels in a short hop, and can kill. Roy has absolutely none of these things. His utilt is slower and has much less range; his walk speed, while good, isn't even close to Marth's, and while his uair has the same landing lag as Marth's, it doesn't autocancel in a short hop, does much less damage, and its sourspot hit is one of Roy's weakest sourspots, doing all of 6% and being minus on hit at low percents (That's when landed with, by the way. In the air, the sourspot's minus on hit until past 150%). That's not to say Roy can't juggle at all, far from it. His Usmash is fairly fast, extremely disjointed due to having arm invuln, and stays out for quite a while. Roy can juggle, but all of his good options for juggling are so committal that a bad read will result in your opponent getting to reset neutral for free, or even punish you for it, a risk Marth doesn't have.

For edgeguarding, Roy's physics work against him in a way Marth's just don't. Roy can edgeguard, but he has to be extremely careful he doesn't SD, and even then, Marth just has better tools for it, what with his fair covering more space below and in front of him, his bair's sweetspot being further away from his body, and his dair coming out faster with a sweetspot further from him.

Ledgetrapping is the type of advantage Roy is good at. He can cover options incredibly effectively with Nair, dtilt, jab, pivot grab, and Side-B, and he's good at threatening ledgetrumps as well, while still being able to punish if your opponent buffers an option. The problem is that this really isn't unique to him. Marth has good ledgetrapping as well, though I'd argue his is a bit worse, as do a **** ton of other characters. Being good at ledgetrapping just isn't enough to make up for his lackluster juggling and edgeguarding.

Roy's also good at techchasing, which is his best way to get kills, but techchasing is pretty weak in general in this game compared to other types of advantage.

Ehhhhhhhhhh, even though there are fewer rounds of advantage state needed to take a stock, these rounds of advantage are longer simply due to the advantage state optimizations. So, the few neutral wins needed are more spread apart in the game's time frame. Basically, just because advantage state has been optimized, doesn't necessarily mean that games go by more quickly.

Of course, this is speculation on my part. One could rigorously quantify if and/or how these advantage state optimizations have significantly affected game lengths simply by doing an analysis on how long modern games last on average compared to games from the past.
Yeah, unlike in Melee, where edgeguarding is the main form of advantage and generally lasts like 2 seconds, in this game, it's more about juggling and ledgetrapping, which take much longer.

Last edited:

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
Combos are guaranteed, they're not advantage. Roy's combo game is the best of any swordie, and has ridiculous stage carry, allowing you to go from ledge to ledge in a single string and putting his opponent into techchases or ledgetrapping situations basically every time he gets a hit, but his advantage itself is rather weak.

Last edited:

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
Better than Marth's,
Significantly, yes.

Roy's combo game is more consistent. MK's could be argued as better, but I wasn't counting MK as a swordie.

I wasn't counting him as a swordie, but Tink's combo game is, as I understand it, mostly based around items and projectiles he has to have in play before hand, which means that past Utilt percents, Roy's much more consistent.

and Cloud's?
Roy has throw combos, Cloud doesn't. I'd say Cloud's is as good or slightly better outside of that, but having throw combos gives Roy the edge.

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Err, wouldn’t the neutral be even more important since getting hit is soooooo bad?

64 is pretty much 0-to-death off a single hit, and they take their time in striking. The differences in movement and shields makes smash 4 more aggressive, but still, neutral i think Is even more important now.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Err, wouldn’t the neutral be even more important since getting hit is soooooo bad?

64 is pretty much 0-to-death off a single hit, and they take their time in striking. The differences in movement and shields makes smash 4 more aggressive, but still, neutral i think Is even more important now.
Both nuetral and punish are important in this game. Before the numerous patches (aka the reign of pre-patch Sheik), nuetral was seen as far superior, but punish is having importance in the current metagame as well, as the advantage state of characters is becoming more optimized. However, some players, such as ZeRo, falsely states that advantage state overshadow (and sometimes significantly overshadow) disadvantage states when it comes to character placements.

Last edited:

J0eyboi

Smash Ace

There's a balance to it. A good advantage with a bad neutral doesn't really work, as seen with Falco and Zelda, but a good neutral with bad advantage isn't great, either, as seen in Pit and to a lesser extent Roy (who I think is a tier too low, but that doesn't change that he's not good), and the better your advantage (and, possibly more importantly, disadvantage) gets, the worse your neutral can be, as seen in MK, DK, Booz, and Bayo. The opposite is also true, best seen in Diddy (His advantage is by no means bad, but it's not really good compared to other top-tiers), but a good advantage/disadvantage is better at making up for a bad neutral than the opposite, due to humans being mistake-prone by nature.

What's definitely true, though, is that the better advantage gets, the better the people playing need to be at neutral and especially disadvantage, which Bayo served as a harsh reminder of.

Last edited:

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
Yo I know MK's advantage is good, but is his disadvantaged state that good as well?
How do you manage to criticize my inclusion of MK, but not ****ing DK?

Anyway, yes, MK's disadvantage his above average. He can struggle to get off ledge and land, due to bad shield safety and hitboxes on basically everything, but he has a **** ton of jumps, which give him better recovery and landing mix-ups than most characters, a really good recovery, and a teleport. Also, while his airspeed is nowhere near good, it's not Kirby/Olimar/Zard bad, which helps a lot.

Also also, his airdodge is tied for second best in the game in terms of frame data (Third best if you count Bayo's as better than M2's).

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master

Iridium

Smash Hero
You meant 25.

We still have time to spare if there is more entrants, although I do doubt that it is going to be crazy stacked like 24 was.
Sorry. Had the name stuck in my head. Still looking forward to seeing You3!

Anyways, VinS :4link::4tlink: has just been funded for Hyrule Saga!

EMT~

Smash Cadet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1caD1M6gaPoclNflt8MNxIss8MIK23sllMyxNa505vEc/htmlview

This is list for entrants for Sumabato 25. While not very stacked, one thing to note is that you can find You3! Looks like he has come back for good. Unfortunately, we may never see Ranai or 9B do the same.
This is list for entrants for Sumabato 25. While not very stacked, one thing to note is that you can find You3!
Pinch me, I must be dreaming!

In games that have touch-of-death type gameplay (like Smash 64 or old Skullgirls), yes, neutral is the most important part. But that's because every character's advantage state is more or less the same - they kill you in one touch no matter what. So because everyone's advantage is effectively the same, the only thing really separating these characters is how easily they get that hit, i.e., their neutral game.

But Sm4sh is not a touch-of-death game. A small number of characters can sometimes get a kill off a single combo; but it's by no means common, much less the base gameplay of Sm4sh. As a consequence, characters have real, tangible differences in their advantage states compared to each other as a result. Now, advantage state actually matters, because the question comes up: how important is a neutral win if you can't capitalize on the victory to deal significant damage or take a stock anyway? Especially when your opponent might be able to undo all of your hard work with a single win in neutral, depending on their character.

Basically, Sm4sh is in that interesting spot where advantage states are well-developed enough to be truly threatening, but not so overbearing that getting a single hit is all that's needed to win.

Prince Koopa Jr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperLuigiXD
Switch FC
SW-6463-6785-0502
Pinch me, I must be dreaming!

In games that have touch-of-death type gameplay (like Smash 64 or old Skullgirls), yes, neutral is the most important part. But that's because every character's advantage state is more or less the same - they kill you in one touch no matter what. So because everyone's advantage is effectively the same, the only thing really separating these characters is how easily they get that hit, i.e., their neutral game.

But Sm4sh is not a touch-of-death game. A small number of characters can sometimes get a kill off a single combo; but it's by no means common, much less the base gameplay of Sm4sh. As a consequence, characters have real, tangible differences in their advantage states compared to each other as a result. Now, advantage state actually matters, because the question comes up: how important is a neutral win if you can't capitalize on the victory to deal significant damage or take a stock anyway? Especially when your opponent might be able to undo all of your hard work with a single win in neutral, depending on their character.

Basically, Sm4sh is in that interesting spot where advantage states are well-developed enough to be truly threatening, but not so overbearing that getting a single hit is all that's needed to win.
Characters like ZSS and Bayo have that strong ladder combo game, and have the ability to end stocks quickly off of just a few mistakes from the opponent. They kind of have that touch of death factor.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I wasn't counting him as a swordie, but Tink's combo game is, as I understand it, mostly based around items and projectiles he has to have in play before hand, which means that past Utilt percents, Roy's much more consistent.
I agree Roy's combos are better than TL's but there's nothing inconsistent about projectile combos. They always work at the same %s and spacing, just like melee combos.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Sumabato X Cyclops #50

https://smash.gg/tournament/sumabato-cyclops-50-1/events/wii-u-singles/brackets/252488

1. Tea:4pacman:
2. Towa:rosalina:
3. Compact:4mewtwo:
4. Kuwa:4ryu:
5. HIKARU:4dk:
5. Ramperu:4mario:
A good result for Tea, but only 32 entrants at this event hurts. However, I do wonder how exactly does Pac-Man play against Rosalina; beating Towa is very impressive. I would imagine he struggles due to Rosalina's highly defensive yet effective playstyle, with Gravitational Pull existing, but you know more of this than I do, I imagine.

Last edited:

Prince Koopa Jr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperLuigiXD
Switch FC
SW-6463-6785-0502
A good result for Tea, but only 32 entrants at this event hurts. However, I do wonder how exactly does Pac-Man play against Rosalina; beating Towa is very impressive. I would imagine he struggles due to Rosalina's highly defensive yet effective playstyle, with Gravitational Pull existing, but you know more of this than I do, I imagine.
Its amazing that Tea was able to overcome such a difficult matchup, Sinji has done so before too.

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
I would say Diddy's advantage is comparable to his fellow top tiers simply because of his banana. Diddy with banana in hand instantly puts a good majority of the cast in a disadvantage situation, some characters can't do anything about it at all. What he lacks for crazy vortexes or oppressive juggling he makes up with a tool that creates a lot of pressure and forces the opponent to act in a specific way.

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
I would say Diddy's advantage is comparable to his fellow top tiers simply because of his banana. Diddy with banana in hand instantly puts a good majority of the cast in a disadvantage situation, some characters can't do anything about it at all. What he lacks for crazy vortexes or oppressive juggling he makes up with a tool that creates a lot of pressure and forces the opponent to act in a specific way.
Wouldn't that make it more of a neutral tool though?
A tool that turns neutral into advantage does not make the advantage state any better, only the neutral.

Prince Koopa Jr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperLuigiXD
Switch FC
SW-6463-6785-0502
A tool that turns neutral into advantage does not make the advantage state any better, only the neutral.
It allows Diddy to win neutral and enter his powerful advantage stage, you're right about it being a neutral tool.

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
I agree Roy's combos are better than TL's but there's nothing inconsistent about projectile combos. They always work at the same %s and spacing, just like melee combos.
The combos themselves aren't the inconsistent part. Obviously, item and projectile combos are just as consistent as any other type of combo. The problem is that in order to do one, you have to already have the item pulled or the projectile out. This isn't too much of a problem with bombs because Tink should always have one, but arrow and boomerang combos have to be setup in advance, and their setups can be avoided. Unlike MK, Tink's combos themselves aren't inconsistent, but his access to them is highly variable.

That's not standard advantage. It could be considered soft advantage in the same vein as stage control, but it's not really advantage. Like MarioMan said, it's closer to a neutral tool.

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
The combos themselves aren't the inconsistent part. Obviously, item and projectile combos are just as consistent as any other type of combo. The problem is that in order to do one, you have to already have the item pulled or the projectile out. This isn't too much of a problem with bombs because Tink should always have one, but arrow and boomerang combos have to be setup in advance, and their setups can be avoided. Unlike MK, Tink's combos themselves aren't inconsistent, but his access to them is highly variable.

That's not standard advantage. It could be considered soft advantage in the same vein as stage control, but it's not really advantage. Like MarioMan said, it's closer to a neutral tool.
It's not neutral because the second Diddy gets a banana in his hand he's in an advantaged position. The opponent is forced to change how they move and act, both players are no longer in at situation where they are on a even playing field which is the definition of neutral.

Using Ness for example if I'm on FD and me and Diddy, at zero percent and have the same amount of stage control. We are trying to bait overcommits to punish, this is neutral. No one has a distinctive advantage in this situation. Now if we are in this same scenario but Diddy has a banana i have to change how I approach Diddy because there isn't a lot Ness can do safely and not get the banana thrown at him. I can't Bair Diddy's shield at what used to be a safe distance because by time I land he has time to throw the banana at me. I can't move freely like before because I need to be ready to protect myself from the banana especially since I'm a slower character, which means more shielding and less moving. Even though we are still at the same percentage with about the same stage control, by holding banana Diddy has cut off and limited my options, we are no longer on a even playing field he has an advantage.

Top Bottom