• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Winners side Top 8:

Nairo :4zss:
Larry Lurr :4fox:
Tearbear:4falcon:
FOW :4ness:

K9 beats Jwest 2-1 to get into Top 8. So, we have a Samus at 9th and TLTC and Scizor at 13th. Not a bad day for low tiers.

Last edited:

HFlash

Future Physician and Sm4sher
NNID
HFlash
So, Captain Falcon is still overrated or nah? I don't have much of an opinion but I'm curious about the general consensus now.
Think of Shiek as a dam. Once it finally broke with the last nerf, the competitive viability of over half the cast is now flooding over.

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
All this character variety I'm seeing is beautiful.

Yikarur

Smash Master
Pandalis Pandaemonium Tournament has concluded. It was germanys biggest Smash 4 tournament so far. (~150 Entrants)
1. cyve :4diddy: :4bayonetta: (GF1 and GF2 only after losing WF 2:3 to Sodreks Fox with Diddy Kong)
2. Sodrek :4fox:
3. LoNg0uw :4rob: :4cloud: (against Katsumis Rosalina only)
4. Katsumi :rosalina:
5. Ganis :4megaman:
5. vyQ :4mario:
7. Light :4sheik: :4mario:
7. Meth :4falcon:

D

Deleted member 269706

Definitely wonder how well Falcon would be doing in the current meta if his uair wasn't nerfed...Either way, happy to see Tearbear doing so good at 2GGT today. Really hoping for Larry Lurr v Tearbear WFs, but I'm afraid we're going to see the exact opposite :/

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Promoting defensive play is not objective bad, that you dont like that type of play in the game is different.
it is bad for viewership tbh
99% of fighting games bro
i dont like how you keep bringing up other fighting games when discussing smash, i know jack **** about other FGs lol, and i'm sure a lot of other ppl are on the same boat.

MachoCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MachoCheeze
i dont like how you keep bringing up other fighting games when discussing smash, i know jack **** about other FGs lol, and i'm sure a lot of other ppl are on the same boat.
Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Anyone here watched Zinoto x M2K just now ?
This matches completely showed how Cloud is not a good character against Diddy.
People were talking like: Cloud is +2 against Diddy ... Oh god, why ?
Cloud is a hard MU for the entire cast, but again, he is not that monster.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Top 8:

Nairo (Zero Suit Samus)
Larry Lurr (Fox)
Tearbear (Captain Falcon)
FOW (Ness)
VoiD (Sheik)
Falln (Rosalina)
K9 (Sheik)
Ax3 (Toon Link)

9th: JWest (Samus)
9th: Zan (Toon Link)
9th: SS (Villager)
9th: MrConCon (Luigi)
13th: IC (Diddy Kong)
13th: TLTC (Palutena)
13th: Scizor (Link)
13th: Sleeh (Diddy Kong)

Last edited:

juddy96

Smash Lord
Top 8:

Nairo (Zero Suit Samus)
Larry Lurr (Fox)
Tearbear (Captain Falcon)
FOW (Ness)
VoiD (Sheik)
Falln (Rosalina)
K9 (Sheik)
Ax3 (Toon Link)

9th: JWest (Samus)
9th: Zan (Toon Link)
9th: SS (Villager)
9th: MrConCon (Luigi)
13th: IC (Diddy Kong)
13th: TLTC (Palutena)
13th: Scizor (Link)
13th: Sleeh (???)
Sleeh mains Diddy

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

The fact that Smash 4 is the most similar to other fighting games with its design means that you should not be bragging about this.

Understanding basic concepts from other fighting games will improve your game tenfold.

And defensive play isn't bad. Boring/braindead defensive play is and Smash 4 doesn't really have that.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi

What he was talking about Pokken?ಠ_ಠ (͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I don't think Bayonetta can be fixed with simple nerfs to frame data or kbg/bkb values. Her problem is ingrained with her design, as are many other problems in sm4sh.
I think it's possible. You can't nerf the startup of Witch Twist without killing all of the feel/viability, but increasing the endlag would be reasonable, especially on a whiff. Kind of like how Ryu's tilts can cancel into specials upon connecting, Bayo's combo starter specials feel like they were intended to have a similar mechanic, but instead were just blessed with insanely low endlag.
Then there's After Burner Kick. This move coexists in the same game as Falcon Kick. Just think about that for a second.
There are definitely ways to increase Bayonetta's risk so that it matches her reward, but who knows what Nintendo will actually do. The changes she got last patch were good, and it was obvious they didn't want to overdo it.

I don't think this game is well-designed when you look at it from an objective pov. the game promotes defensive play and always picking the easy option without it being hard to identify in each scenario.
Nah it's fine! And like EL said, all fighting games have some serious defensive play. Most anything does in many cases. Even Melee has a lot of defensiveness, there's just a lot of fluff that masks it.

as long as witch time gives bayo enough time to even get one dtilt or up b then it'll always be an incredibly amazing move despite how much they nerf it, unless they also choose to make bayonetta unable to kill off the top with her combos at like virtually any percent, and idk how they could do that without changing the idea behind her design
Witch Time SHOULD be good. It really sucks to be on the receiving end, because the game enters "single player mode," but as long as there's some risk associated (miss Counter, eat heavy punish+have worse Counter next time you use it) it should be very rewarding. And the risk was increased in this patch, so they're aware!

I think Bayo has good intentions with her design, but falls just slightly short for two reasons:
1. 0-death, or low% death combos happen way too frequently, probably worse than MK's ladder combo ever was. This is clearly something nobody, including the balance team, wants. The only 0-deaths Smash games should have are the ones that involve multiple reads/risks. They should not start from anywhere on stage (which is classically a relatively safe area, as opposed to the danger zone that is offstage) and drag someone to the top blast zone, with little to no punishment if they mess up their combo.
2. Aforementioned combos are started by quick, low-commitment moves, contrary to what was advertised in the Direct. "Her moves have slow startup but combo well" is basically how she was advertised, but it's more "her moves are fast, almost unpunishable, and combo well" that we got in the end product.

That said, there's been way too much drama over her, it's pretty insane. It came out of nowhere. I meant to say this a couple days ago, but I was on mobile so I didn't :D the sudden talk about bans and the like is completely silly.

edit:

The way I see it... you mentioned "the game promotes defensive play and always picking the easy option without it being hard to identify in each scenario."
But imagine if a game was somehow HYPER OFFENSIVE. What would that actually mean? The way I imagine it, I just think that the optimal strategy would be to bullrush your opponent, spamming your fastest/safest attack at their face until you win. It would be like a more extreme version of prepatch Sheik Fair spam, and that would get incredibly boring very quickly.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136

yea? i dont like how folks act like games being defensive is bad design.

BTW this happens in REAL fights too as well as Boxing and MMA. The one with tighter defense usually wins. Attacking is inherently a HUGE risk so if you want to win, its best to NOT go ham.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
User was warned for this post
yea? i dont like how folks act like games being defensive is bad design.

BTW this happens in REAL fights too as well as Boxing and MMA. The one with tighter defense usually wins. Attacking is inherently a HUGE risk so if you want to win, its best to NOT go ham.
you did that thing again where you compare smash to other things that most people are not interested in and it kinda isn't even related to smash at all..

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
Top 8:

Nairo (Zero Suit Samus):4zss:
Larry Lurr (Fox):4fox:
Tearbear (Captain Falcon):4falcon:
FOW (Ness):4ness:
VoiD (Sheik):4sheik:
Falln (Rosalina):rosalina:
K9 (Sheik):4sheik:
Ax3 (Toon Link):4tlink:

9th: JWest (Samus):4samus:
9th: Zan (Toon Link):4tlink:
9th: SS (Villager):4villager:
9th: MrConCon (Luigi):4luigi:
13th: IC (Diddy Kong):4diddy:
13th: TLTC (Palutena):4palutena:
13th: Scizor (Link):4link:
13th: Sleeh (Diddy Kong):4diddy:
top 8
:4zss:x1:4fox:x1:4falcon:x1:4ness:x1:4sheik:x2:rosalina:x1:4tlink:x1
top 16
:4zss:x1:4fox:x1:4falcon:x1:4ness:x1:4sheik:x2:rosalina:x1:4tlink:x2:4samus:x1:4villager:x1:4luigi:x1:4diddy:x2:4palutena:x1:4link:x1

Pancracio17

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pancracio17
with little to no punishment if they mess up their combo.
Good post but this is only true in two scenarios
1. She has an abk left and she used it to gwt away
2.- she cancelled to the ledge
Ive noticed that people dont really try to punish a whiffed combo correctly and they just respect bayonetta too much so they just let the 30+ frames of landing lag just pass away safely.

On the topic of nerfs, how do you nerf witch twist without killing its combo potential? Which would happen with decreased range and more endlag, maybe do what you said and turn it into a ryu tilt esque move or maybe just not make it have a disjoint so its challengeable.

Edit: oh the sweet variety, its amazing.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Falln 3-0s VoiD

VoiD wasn't in top shape today

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The fact that Smash 4 is the most similar to other fighting games with its design means that you should not be bragging about this.

Understanding basic concepts from other fighting games will improve your game tenfold.

And defensive play isn't bad. Boring/braindead defensive play is and Smash 4 doesn't really have that.
Just to be clear here, people, this means where you can stall out and the opponent can't even chase you. Basically, planking.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
Mr.R 3-0'es Ally in Grand Finals while 3-1'ing him in Winner Finals. Seems like :4sheik: doesn't care about letting mario live to 180% and is happily content in just ledge-guarding /swatting him away unti he eventualy dies while :4mario:can't even touch her lmao

ARISTOS

Smash Ace
you did that thing again where you compare smash to other things that most people are not interested in and it kinda isn't even related to smash at all..
You can't be serious.

Many different analogies can be tied to many competitive games, and in 90% you'll find similar responses-defensive strategies usually are superior to overly offensive strategies because it is usually easier to react and respond then to try and overwhelm.

Everytime a commenter comments on a player in Melee's "reaction-based punishes?" That's defensive play.

You need to have some understanding of different things outside that of the immediate topic in order to be able to explore, compare and understand how Smash 4 works, how video games work, how sports work, and how anything works.

If you don't understand, ask. Don't expect people to just accept ignorance

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It's relevent because it's a basic fundamental of fighting and Smash is a fighting game.

Defensive technique is a natural and inevitable part of any conflict, even with today's modern warfare and fighting techniques so it WILL be in Smash. No ifs, ands or buts.

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Good post but this is only true in two scenarios
1. She has an abk left and she used it to gwt away
2.- she cancelled to the ledge
Ive noticed that people dont really try to punish a whiffed combo correctly and they just respect bayonetta too much so they just let the 30+ frames of landing lag just pass away safely.

On the topic of nerfs, how do you nerf witch twist without killing its combo potential? Which would happen with decreased range and more endlag, maybe do what you said and turn it into a ryu tilt esque move or maybe just not make it have a disjoint so its challengeable.

Edit: oh the sweet variety, its amazing.
Yeah, it's possible that the whole "can't punish if they mess up their deadly combo" isn't really true in this game, or at least, very rarely so. MK and ZSS, for example, when they did their ladder combos, if they whiffed their upB, it was a big punishment opportunity... unless maybe you're a slow faller than can't get down in time to punish them. Otherwise, that was a pretty reasonably punishment, for how much reward they got from it. Bayonetta, I'm still not sure about, but I believe you in that regard!

And yeah, I was going to mention the hitbox on Witch Twist, because I saw those images that showed what their hitboxes looked like and it was gross (I can't seem to find them now though)...
But you really can't nerf the startup or hitboxes on Witch Twist without ruining its feel and combo viability, so the endlag is the only reasonable thing I see. That said, as a Kirby player, I don't appreciate the fact that the disjoint is basically bigger than my entire body, and I have no reliable way to challenge it, even while edgeguarding her... :(

I'm really not sure how to get rid of her "0-death" ability. Maybe make Upair a semispike like Ganondorf's sourspot Upair? ;)

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
It's weird not feeling grimy for rooting for Sheik.

Mr.R 3-0'es Ally in Grand Finals while 3-1'ing him in Winner Finals. Seems like :4sheik: doesn't care about letting mario live to 180% and is happily content in just ledge-guarding /swatting him away unti he eventualy dies while :4mario:can't even touch her lmao
What tourney?

sedrf

Smash Journeyman
outfoxx'd was the tourney.
Rosa vs sheik seems much harder now for sheik

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Don't speak for "most people."

One of the PROBLEMS of the Smash Community since the earliest days of competitive Melee was tunnel vision over Smash Bros. "This game is worse because it does things differently from Smash."

There are lessons that top players from other fighting games have learned that can apply to Smash Bros., and to ignore them because you have this image of Smash as "super crazy exciting aggression!" is to actually stunt your own growth. On a larger scale, it stunts the community's intelligence when it comes to appreciating the game.

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
If we're going to talk about potential nerfs to Bayonetta, I'd significantly nerf the startup up of the grounded version of witch twist. Probably Frame 12 at least honestly, with the air version made Frame 6 or so just so it's not superior. The biggest problem with Witch Twist is that it completely nullifies her weak frame data, meaning that, at the moment, she has no universally exploitable flaw.

To be honest I think it's really silly to suggest nerfs to a character after she displays arguably abusive qualities once with no opportunity to find or test counterplay yet.

Pancracio17

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pancracio17
Yeah, it's possible that the whole "can't punish if they mess up their deadly combo" isn't really true in this game, or at least, very rarely so. MK and ZSS, for example, when they did their ladder combos, if they whiffed their upB, it was a big punishment opportunity... unless maybe you're a slow faller than can't get down in time to punish them. Otherwise, that was a pretty reasonably punishment, for how much reward they got from it. Bayonetta, I'm still not sure about, but I believe you in that regard!

And yeah, I was going to mention the hitbox on Witch Twist, because I saw those images that showed what their hitboxes looked like and it was gross (I can't seem to find them now though)...
But you really can't nerf the startup or hitboxes on Witch Twist without ruining its feel and combo viability, so the endlag is the only reasonable thing I see. That said, as a Kirby player, I don't appreciate the fact that the disjoint is basically bigger than my entire body, and I have no reliable way to challenge it, even while edgeguarding her... :(

I'm really not sure how to get rid of her "0-death" ability. Maybe make Upair a semispike like Ganondorf's sourspot Upair? ;)
That would make u air not kill, but buff her already dumb good edgeguarding, plus she can still 0-death without u air. I was thinking maybe give divekick less knobk back on low percents so that you dont go as high but also adjust how high bayo goes too so that it wont kill its low % combo potential, also increase the endlag on a landing divekick.

Chuva

Smash Apprentice
There will always be room for categorizations and/or comparisons through cognitive flexibility. Whether you care for them or not is, ironically, irrelevant.

Smash is not it's own entity, as original as the core concept is.

19_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
19sean
3DS FC
3239-4949-6616
what did i just watch

Was that a falcon punch read

no I must be dreaming

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
You are doing that thing again where you dont understand what correlation is as well as the concept of risk vs reward.

Meh

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Tearbear 3-1 FOW

Falcon in Top 4 what's even happening

Status