• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

R3D3MON

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KeeHwang2010
i see...thanks for the info. Ill try to follow the tournaments more so i dont have to ask these questions as often.
No problem. I just don't like how Luigi is either overrated as hell by some people, or underrated as hell by other people. Too many people cite wrong things as his "strengths" and weaknesses, and that annoys me a bit.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Earth brought out Corrin against Shimitake's Pikachu in the Grand Finals match of their bracket and won:

Though not as explosive as Bayonetta, Corrin's definitely making her own waves in the tournament scene

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
But I don't think it fallacious to point out that, yes, Luigi does have great reward off of grabs (still) and hitconfirms. Baby_Sneak Baby_Sneak wasn't saying/implying he was top tier, or anything like that.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
So if luigi can win neutral against ryu (I'd like to know how btw) then he can beat ryu with footsies?

R3D3MON

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KeeHwang2010
But I don't think it fallacious to point out that, yes, Luigi does have great reward off of grabs (still) and hitconfirms. Baby_Sneak Baby_Sneak wasn't saying/implying he was top tier, or anything like that.

Smooth Criminal
I never said he didn't tho. Also, the nerf actually took away his damage racking abilities early game because of the significant decrease in base knockback. Against fast fallers, they can just DI down and shield any one of luigi's aerials and ground attacks except for up-smash and down smash. He also has up-throw, but that is a mixup option. His early % damage racking game is limited to mixups instead of guranteed combos, and all of these mixups can be avoided by conventional defensive options. The nerf really did not do justice to this character.

So if luigi can win neutral against ryu (I'd like to know how btw) then he can beat ryu with footsies?
I think fireballs would be good to use for approaching Ryu. I would probably try not to approach Ryu with rising aerials since his up-tilt is godly. However falling nair also sounds like a good mixup option (with proper spacing). I would also incorporate pivot f-tilt and pivot grabs during neutral for shield pressure options.

Last edited by a moderator:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Here's Komorikiri's Bayonetta:

Notice how not one single kill is set up by her combos. Nagahari also did pretty well considering he's been out of the tournament scene for almost 5 years.

:059:

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Here's Komorikiri's Bayonetta:

Notice how not one single kill is set up by her combos. Nagahari also did pretty well considering he's been out of the tournament scene for almost 5 years.

:059:
Yeah, landing a combo as Bayo and avoiding it as the respective opponent is a mix of good DI and combo mixups.
Especially her death combos are full of 50/50s.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
I really dislike when people cite things like this as a reason for Luigi being "high tier". I already mentioned that he has good damage racking abilities, but his inability to kill severely limits him. Luigi is floaty, and can get juggled very easily. For example, watch some games between Boss and Mr. Eric. R.O.B's ridiculous up-air does wonders against Luigi. His zoning game is limited to fireballs, and he has to approach. He has bad time offstage. This means that Luigi can die very early to things that would not kill other high tiers, who are mostly fast fallers or have very good fortress abilities (rosa & luma).

Just because he is good at damage racking does not make him high tier. Many characters that are in high/mid tier have similarly good or even better damage racking abilities than Luigi (or outright kill confirms at low/mid %). What sets him apart from the low tiers and mid tiers is his great CQC abilities and relatively simple gameplan that allows people to adapt better/quickly to different player's playstyles, similar to Ness and Mario. This explains his D-Tier position in the 4BR tier list, although I personally think that he should be bumped up to C-tier. However, he lost tools after the nerf that makes him a high tier character (his ability to kill early), and his weaknesses that existed since release of this game compounds him into position at high mid-tier at best. So, 4BR's tier list is not wrong.
You said his nerfs killed his combo game. I'm correcting that mistake. I'm not saying he's high tier. I'm saying he's still good, which it seemed like you were trying to argue against.

Luigi isn't bad. He's just not as cheesy as before. His weaknesses are pretty visible though, but I wouldn't say that makes him bad like Duck Hunt or something. But, I think that's just going to help develop his player base to play better in the neutral.

R3D3MON

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KeeHwang2010
You said his nerfs killed his combo game. I'm correcting that mistake. I'm not saying he's high tier. I'm saying he's still good, which it seemed like you were trying to argue against.

Luigi isn't bad. He's just not as cheesy as before. His weaknesses are pretty visible though, but I wouldn't say that makes him bad like Duck Hunt or something. But, I think that's just going to help develop his player base to play better in the neutral.
Yeah it did kill his combo game, somewhat. I said that the nerf killed his long combo strings and the ability to combo at very low percents. Also, like I said in a previous post, he lost a lot of aerial combo options that he had before nerf, and in return he got....nothing. The extremely low base knockback and high knockback scaling works against him because his greatest combo tools are his aerials. In other words, he cannot just chain long aerial strings into regrabs and such because the low base knockback allows people to escape fair easier at low percents or just DI down and shield or roll away for fast fallers.

Also, how does the nerf help people "play better" in the neutral? Just blindly going for grab to get the "cheese" is always a bad idea, and people got punished for using Luigi that way pre-nerf. Luigi needed his cheese because his gameplan is relatively simple and his cheese allowed him to go against top tiers in the game.

Like I and G.Stache said, Luigi still has favorable matchups with lower tiers and most mid tiers, but he just cannot compete against top tiers because the nerf took away many of his most valuable tools (very long combo strings at low percents, and a viable kill setup), which explains his tier placement in the 4BR tier list (top of the mid tiers). It was not my intention to make it sound like Luigi is duck hunt bad, since Luigi has excellent CQC options, still a good damage racking game compared to some of the characters in the roster, and his relatively simple gameplan allows Luigi players to adapt and respond more quickly to player habits and playstyles.

Last edited:

Megamang

Smash Lord
It will improve the depth of his playerbase, theoretically. Sure just spamming grab got predictable, but grabs reward overshadowed his whole moveset to the point that the reason you did anything else was to open the doors for grabs.

R3D3MON

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KeeHwang2010
It will improve the depth of his playerbase, theoretically. Sure just spamming grab got predictable, but grabs reward overshadowed his whole moveset to the point that the reason you did anything else was to open the doors for grabs.
That completely makes sense tho. Why would you not go for the most optimal option? Luigi gets the most out of his grabs because he is a grappler/half-grappler, so basing your neutral around getting grabs and setting yourself up so that you can get grabs was and still is playing smart. Of course there are other ways to play Luigi, but the method I mentioned worked and still works if you can do it successfully and consistently.
Luigi's gameplan still revolves strongly around grabs, so the purpose of the nerf was really nonsensical since nothing was compensated for the nerf. Luigi had a polarizing design from the start, but taking away one of his best aspect was definitely not a good idea. I just wish that he has has kill confirm back, but with a smaller window where it works.

It seems people still don't really understand one of Luigi's most viable gameplan.

Last edited:

R3D3MON

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KeeHwang2010
People not liking it doesnt necessarily mean they dont understand it.
People not liking it does not necessarily mean that it is bad. Similar to MK's dash attack or boost kick, people complain about Luigi's grab game because they have no idea how to counter it in the first place. Complaining about Luigi players going for grabs is like complaining about every other "broken" combo, string, 50/50, kill setup, etc. in the game. People really should stop hating characters or players for playing optimally (Dabuz comes to mind...).

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Well first off footsies is one part of neutral. Luigi in general has below average footsies due to overall poor mobility. He has a few really strong options like his cyclone which can beat alot of buttons head on, but is very unsafe. His jab is amazing for footsies though. Fast for its range. Recovers fast too. Overall tho this aspect of his game is a little lacking. He lacks tools to REACTIVELY counter poke his opponents. This is why he needs his fireball. To control that space in front of him and set up for grabs. Luigis footsies are gonna be more about just controlling the set space on front him with jabs, fairs and bairs and trying to slow down the game so he can get grabs.

R3D3MON

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KeeHwang2010
Well first off footsies is one part of neutral. Luigi in general has below average footsies due to overall poor mobility. He has a few really strong options like his cyclone which can beat alot of buttons head on, but is very unsafe. His jab is amazing for footsies though. Fast for its range. Recovers fast too. Overall tho this aspect of his game is a little lacking. He lacks tools to REACTIVELY counter poke his opponents. This is why he needs his fireball. To control that space in front of him and set up for grabs. Luigis footsies are gonna be more about just controlling the set space on front him with jabs, fairs and bairs and trying to slow down the game so he can get grabs.
Also don't forget dash dancing and dancetrotting. False makes excellent usage of dancetrotting with Luigi because Luigi has above-average burst mobility and dash (not run). Also Con Con makes really smart usage of dashdancing for baits and movement mixups, along with cyclone (although this is highly punishable if the opponent holds shield because tornado is laggy).

G. Stache

Smash Journeyman
Yeah it did kill his combo game, somewhat. I said that the nerf killed his long combo strings and the ability to combo at very low percents. Also, like I said in a previous post, he lost a lot of aerial combo options that he had before nerf, and in return he got....nothing. The extremely low base knockback and high knockback scaling works against him because his greatest combo tools are his aerials. In other words, he cannot just chain long aerial strings into regrabs and such because the low base knockback allows people to escape fair easier at low percents or just DI down and shield or roll away for fast fallers.

Also, how does the nerf help people "play better" in the neutral? Just blindly going for grab to get the "cheese" is always a bad idea, and people got punished for using Luigi that way pre-nerf. Luigi needed his cheese because his gameplan is relatively simple and his cheese allowed him to go against top tiers in the game.

Like I and G.Stache said, Luigi still has favorable matchups with lower tiers and most mid tiers, but he just cannot compete against top tiers because the nerf took away many of his most valuable tools (very long combo strings at low percents, and a viable kill setup), which explains his tier placement in the 4BR tier list (top of the mid tiers). It was not my intention to make it sound like Luigi is duck hunt bad, since Luigi has excellent CQC options, still a good damage racking game compared to some of the characters in the roster, and his relatively simple gameplan allows Luigi players to adapt and respond more quickly to player habits and playstyles.
Well, I kinda also showed that Luigi goes even or beats a majority of the high tiers. It's the big three (Rosa, ZSS, and Sheik) that shut him out from a high tier position. Having a bad MU against Mega Man, Toon Link, and debatably Pac Man/Samus would be fine, it's just that a Luigi needs to know how to handle ZSS, Sheik, and Rosa very well to have the best possible odds. And even then, it's still around -1 against those three when played super optimally (AKA, what I like to call the Lame-eegi way)

Should also be said that even though Luigi's d throw was nerfed, he is still probably around top 3, if not the best, at damage racking. Seriously, his d throw is still superb. And that's not the only this to look out for. Jab, falling Nair, U throw (on fast fallers), and d tilt trips are all good at getting strings going. D throw was never the only option, and I doubt everybody knows how to DI all of these since you saw the best Luigi's only using d throw for the most part. Not to mention the good damage output from Luigi. Something characters like Mario and Sheik probably wish they had more of.

IMO, Luigi is still arguably solo viable, and definitely an amazing counter pick option if you just put a bit more time into him than what you previously had to. I don't have a fully fledged tier list of Smash 4 (too many patches and new characters) but I'd probably still have Luigi sitting around the top 15 area. That being said, the Luigi playerbase seems to be split into two 'factions'. The Luigi optimists, and the Luigi pessimists. I'm probably considered rabidly optimistic. I'll even admit it outright; I'm a bit biased when it comes to Luigi. But I'm not saying that Luigi is downright amazing, he lost a very potent tool from the nerf and he's always has had clear cut weaknesses. But I don't think he's very far away viability-wise from some of the high tiers like Mario and Pika (assuming you think Mario and Pika are both around the bottom of top 10 like I do).

Also, is it just me, or does this debate sound like a lot of the kind of discussion we would have 4 months ago when the patch just came out? Man, this thread loves going through circles. Anyways, Luigi does have a few problems, but he's far from a bad character. Top mid tier is hardly a bad place to be in Smash 4.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
He's not bad.

But I wouldnt call him solo viable.

Its not a knock vs Luigi. Just acknowledging that the meta right now is about conversion to KOs and neutral dominance. I would not call Luigi very dominant in either.

R3D3MON R3D3MON

Indeed. Luigi has good bait tactics with his fox/dance trotting. Its the main way imo most non-weapon users should be trying to play footsies since they will lose to any disjointed hitbox(sword) and mispacing a poke or over commiting generally leads to eating 25% or more vs good chars.

R3D3MON

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KeeHwang2010
Also, is it just me, or does this debate sound like a lot of the kind of discussion we would have 4 months ago when the patch just came out? Man, this thread loves going through circles. Anyways, Luigi does have a few problems, but he's far from a bad character. Top mid tier is hardly a bad place to be in Smash 4.
Yeah it does. Weird thing is how some people still believe Luigi to be top/high tier, when it is clearly shown that he isn't. I'm still salty af about his nerfs tho :/. Poor Luigi can't get kill confirms, but other top tiers with less weaknesses can? Sakurai plz. However that's just my salt.

I would say d-tilt is not really a good tool for racking damage. The trip is really unreliable, and I have no idea why Sakurai decided to nerf a move that has barely any range in the first place.

Agreed on falling nair. It really is one of the staple moves every luigi players should get familiar with for spacing and comboing and catching ledge getups.

DIing Luigi's d-throw is actually not too hard imo. Because of the rather high knockback growth, you can just DI up at mid % and away at high % to minimize Luigi's combo potential, since Luigi is not exactly a character built for aerial chase. Also you can sometimes DI in (towards Luigi) for a DI mixup, which has caught me by surprise before.

I disagree that he is solo viable tho. I think his inability to break zones effectively and play spacing games against fortress characters really hinders him, especially when many top/high tier characters have really good projectiles.

EDIT: How does the matchup versus Marth look like to you? I feel like Marth's increased tipper range and damage is really threatening for Luigis, who can't really approach very well.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Fun question: which low tier (aside from Marth) and which bottom tier (aside from Lucina) do you all think has the most potential to move up in the future? Kind of curious on what people's thoughts are.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Fun question: which low tier (aside from Marth) and which bottom tier (aside from Lucina) do you all think has the most potential to move up in the future? Kind of curious on what people's thoughts are.
Low: It's a toss-up but I'll go for Mewtwo. Both representation and results are coming his way. People are starting to respect his frame data, range, and confirms.

Bottom: Extremely hard to say. Eyeing three characters but I'm ultimately going to say Mii Brawler, thanks to how attractive Helicopter Kick is, which will produce results at mid-level and increase popularity once Mii stigma dies out.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Neither Link nor Lucas have any business in low tier imo, although Link is overshadowed by TL.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Yeah it does. Weird thing is how some people still believe Luigi to be top/high tier, when it is clearly shown that he isn't. I'm still salty af about his nerfs tho :/. Poor Luigi can't get kill confirms, but other top tiers with less weaknesses can? Sakurai plz. However that's just my salt.

I would say d-tilt is not really a good tool for racking damage. The trip is really unreliable, and I have no idea why Sakurai decided to nerf a move that has barely any range in the first place.

Agreed on falling nair. It really is one of the staple moves every luigi players should get familiar with for spacing and comboing and catching ledge getups.

DIing Luigi's d-throw is actually not too hard imo. Because of the rather high knockback growth, you can just DI up at mid % and away at high % to minimize Luigi's combo potential, since Luigi is not exactly a character built for aerial chase. Also you can sometimes DI in (towards Luigi) for a DI mixup, which has caught me by surprise before.

I disagree that he is solo viable tho. I think his inability to break zones effectively and play spacing games against fortress characters really hinders him, especially when many top/high tier characters have really good projectiles.

EDIT: How does the matchup versus Marth look like to you? I feel like Marth's increased tipper range and damage is really threatening for Luigis, who can't really approach very well.
I predict PSimg is going to be a needed requirement for playing Luigi.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
None of them because they're all too busy being completely invalidated by Bayonetta, Sheik, ZSS, and Cloud

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
:4charizard: is super underated. The guys has some really good tools, but nobody is using him. All these tier lists with him in the bottom-bottom tier makes me cringe. He's the only character I know that has gotten really good buffs but has moved virtually no where from his spot before. Just like my other mains (lol), the stigmas surrounding the heavyweight status prevent anybody from really acknowledging him. They just write him off as another crappy heavy. I think he's a mid low tier among the likes of :4bowserjr::4gaw::4kirby:

:150:

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
I think Wii Fit is the most appealing of the low tiers, followed by Lucas.

The Miis look like the only bottom tiers with any hope, specifically Brawler, but even then it depends entirely on what custom sets are allowed. None of the 1111 Miis are worth writing home about.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Neither Link nor Lucas have any business in low tier imo, although Link is overshadowed by TL.
I definitely agree with you about Lucas. I think Lucas may have the most potential of the whole cast to move up and I'm kind of shocked about where he wound up. His buffs during the summer were significant and then he got even more notable buffs in December (you know... like making his tether grab the best in the game, reducing the lag on all his aerials, increasing the range of all his tilts, and increasing the hitboxes of all his aerials... you know, no big deal apparently). The problem is that his representation is really bad and I'd be willing to put him in the bottom ten of characters that actually show up at tournaments.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
I don't know how to place :4link: on a tier list.

He's really common and place really good at an online, local, and regional level, but doesn't do too hot at the national stage. Does having a high win rate at regionals and local tourneys mean so little that he is bottom 20? If not, than how much are these results worth?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Lucas....like...BY FAR!!!

Cuz like..hes not actually low tier and stuff.

If you have a hit confirm into a kill and can confirm from 0 to 45% off a grab, you are not low tier.

It's a rule.

Or something.

Last edited:

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Lucas was the "toss-up" but I just don't think there are enough Lucas players/popularity out there compared to Mewtwo, who is already doing things.

For Bottom, my other two were Mii Gunner (already has a rep, but might not get enough other reps) and Samus (off-chance that now that patches are done, people will play her more than complain about her, and show she has some really strong tools, despite large royzones)

Last edited:

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
:4charizard: is super underated. The guys has some really good tools, but nobody is using him. All these tier list with him in the bottom-bottom tier makes me cringe. He's the only character I know that has gotten really good buffs but has moved virtually no where from his spot before. Just like my other mains (lol), the stigmas surrounding the heavyweight status prevent anybody from really acknowledging him. They just write him off as another crappy heavy. I think he's a mid low tier among the likes of :4bowserjr::4gaw::4kirby:

Agreed. He's very underestimated but still has crippling weaknesses against some high tiers... Aside from his garbage aerial speed he's got good frame data, rock smash, and some pretty fantastic OoS options. But he's a big target, and can be easily comboed. Definitely can tank hits like a champ as well.

He deserves mid-tier.

He seems to be very under repped though so I doubt a character like Charizard will ever see the light besides the one coming from his tail.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
None of them because they're all too busy being completely invalidated by Bayonetta, Sheik, ZSS, and Cloud
Who does Cloud invalidate? I'd personally replace Cloud with Rosa because Rosa does shut down a good number of characters. This is one of the things that kills me about Bowser Jr's recent buffs because, although they were desperately needed, they don't really matter against Rosa. To further emphasize that the dream is dead for that character, Bayo is basically a parting middle finger from Sakurai to every heavy weight in the game so his chances of ever getting out of low tier pretty much died a fiery death unless somehow another patch happens.

Roy of Pharae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4442-1640-3373
Should jigglypuff be raised on the bottom of the tier list. I know the mechanics screw her over but seeing her put in some work in Winner's finals was amazing.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Define invalidate.

The dictionary defines it as nullifying or making something useless. To weaken or destroy.

You could take this two ways for the context of the metagame. Saying a character beats another character so badly that the character doesnt even matter.

ZSS vs Bowser is probably a good example. Or almost any big body really. Grabs all day and they cant get anything going vs her mobility and paralyzer.

The other way to look at it, would be one character is so much more powerful with greater option coverage that the lesser character may as well not exist. Their existence is essentially moot.

So Cloud or Kamui compared to Roy, Marth and Lucina. Better range. Better kill set-ups. Better edge guarding. Overall better buttons. BETTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER!!!!

Just...a superior character that makes you question the existence of the others.

Last edited:

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
About Link,
He's decent but I think at a national level he's beaten severely due to his lack of ability to fight back. Hes okay at keeping an opponent away but not nearly as good as TL and ROB, who were both designed to be that way. Sometimes I feel Link was meant to be the CQB version (TL being the zoner) due to his great reach with sword and very nice attack movements. However, his CQC is crippled due to his awful frame data in both attacks and movements. I honestly think he would jump tiers if he had a frame 5 jab (2 frames faster), normal jump speed, and better aerial speed. These factors are what pits him so low. He has the tools by far but lacks the means to use any of them effectively enough to stand against the higher tiers.

He's more on the low side of mid tier however. Hes definitely not bottom 20.

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
Yeah, Cloud is a strong character and all, but considering how quickly he can die I just can't see him invalidating anyone.

Bayonetta though hoo boy if no decent counterplay develops I have some choice words to say about her.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
In regards to Lucas, I think the character has a lot going for them. Great tilts, technically three kill throws, a set up throw, great spacing tools, probably the best zair in the game, great aerials (including two that can trip and two as reasonable kill options), no real issues with recovering thanks to the range of zair and wave bouncing, etc. The character doesn't really lack anything and there aren't any match ups that come to mind that come to mind for him that are total and complete blowouts.

Emblem Lord Emblem Lord

I'd define it as BTFO match ups. For example, Metaknight vs Peach in Brawl. A match up where you can pretty much pick Cloud and be practically guaranteed to win on any stage unless there's a giant skill gap between the players. Does Cloud really do this to anyone? We all agree he's good but is there any match ups that are practically unplug the controller and walk away bad?

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
I definitely agree with you about Lucas. I think Lucas may have the most potential of the whole cast to move up and I'm kind of shocked about where he wound up. His buffs during the summer were significant and then he got even more notable buffs in December (you know... like making his tether grab the best in the game, reducing the lag on all his aerials, increasing the range of all his tilts, and increasing the hitboxes of all his aerials... you know, no big deal apparently). The problem is that his representation is really bad and I'd be willing to put him in the bottom ten of characters that actually show up at tournaments.
Buff dumps need to drastically improve a character's KO options (Meta Knight, Robin), neutral game (Mewtwo) or both (Ike) to have a significant effect on their tier position.

This plays into what Emblem Lord Emblem Lord said about the game revolving around having a strong neutral and strong KO conversions. If your character lacks either of those, they're in trouble. Equally, buffs that don't strongly affect either of those are inconsequential.

I would say most of Lucas' buffs, whilst good, fall more into the "QoL" category than the "significant" category. Hitbox buffs and tiny lag reductions haven't done much to help him. I can see the grab buff as an exception because it increases his safety as he fishes for KOs, but even as the best tether it's still a laggy grab. I think it's fair that his strength in peoples' minds didn't change much after the buffs, because... his strength didn't change much. Though I can agree that his position on this tier list is too low, buffs or not.

And for those who are wondering, MK is listed above because his Uair hitbox buffs made his ladder combo significantly more reliable.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Strong conversion probably matters the most. I mean people were fearing Bowser after he got grab confirms even tho his neutral still wasnt godlike nor was his ability to deal with disadvantage.

MK's neutral is pretty linear and honestly not even impressive but since it links directly into his win condition...welp

there ya go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom