• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

In Brawl Dorf had jab locks with items because it was untechable. They could of made it launch up instead of ruining all combo potential it had by making it techable but didn't because reasons.

Last edited:

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
I know. Thank you for admitting your previous statement about jab lock moot in one post. This is Smash 4, not Brawl.

paperchao

Smash Apprentice
NNID
paperchao

In Brawl Dorf had jab locks with items because it was untechable. They could of made it launch up instead of ruining all combo potential it had by making it techable but didn't because reasons.
You do realise doing an item infinite is just asking to get hit by a charged smash right? There's more than 2 people in most normal smash matches more often than not.
Anyways, I've always wanted Ganons jab to have armor, it would make jab more unique and give him a way to get someone off him quickly, but the speed buff helps just as well, Ganon I feel needs more kill power on down b as well, the move is a bit undertuned as of now, it'd be nice if ganon could kill out of burst range.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
I think what would be nice in this thread is Match analyzation. would help understand meta stuff on a deeper level.

I'll start( hold on, this'll take some time).

Last edited:

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
You do realise doing an item infinite is just asking to get hit by a charged smash right? There's more than 2 people in most normal smash matches more often than not.
Anyways, I've always wanted Ganons jab to have armor, it would make jab more unique and give him a way to get someone off him quickly, but the speed buff helps just as well, Ganon I feel needs more kill power on down b as well, the move is a bit undertuned as of now, it'd be nice if ganon could kill out of burst range.
Ganon's jab is fine now after the recent buffs, it's relatively safe, good damage & has fantastic range for a jab.

paperchao

Smash Apprentice
NNID
paperchao
Ganon's jab is fine now after the recent buffs, it's relatively safe, good damage & has fantastic range for a jab.
Yea, it definitely is a fine move rn, should of clarified that I wanted the super armor change before the buffs, but I still think up b and dowe b need more knockback on them

Last edited:

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
He did get a kill on Vinnie's Rosa by fsmashing while she was stuck in her goddamn rapid jab. Cathartic as hell.
I hadn't watched that set yet, but yeah, he used literally all of his moves except some of his throws, got uthrow usmash once, and got no other throw combos.

I don't know about DK, but Bowser doesn't seem to rely on his grab all that much.

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Honestly giving Flame Choke 2 frames less endlag on hit would mean he could at least Dtilt everyone on missed tech/tech in place, meaning that he'd never have to cover more than 3 options.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi

Making it launch isn't a better combo throw dude. Making them in a bad position by means of forcing them to tech mixup is more profitable than getting them simply in the air.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I come in here sometimes thinking the lot of you do NOT want a heavy to be good. The only acceptable top tiers are waifus and animals.
Goodness no. That would make things *gasp* DIFFERENT.

(In my opinion Bowser's Down+B should have a earthquake effect, which trips grounded and even shielding opponent around him, and be overall faster fall-speed.
Slip Bomb.

Flame Wave.

I know we like to pretend customs don't exist, but at least take a passing glance at them before suggesting special buffs... actually, why are we still suggesting buffs.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I know we like to pretend customs don't exist, but at least take a passing glance at them before suggesting special buffs... actually, why are we still suggesting buffs.
It's actually highly ironic.

>complain about how "broken" custom DK was without labbing counterplay
>cry that he's too linear once he gets buffed

Just can't win

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
Also, it should be no mystery as to why DK relies on grabs more.

Bowser has better options at closing stocks.

All of DKs stock closers were nerfed in some way from Brawl. He suffered a range Nerf too. His dsmash no longer sends them at a great angle, was weakened, and no longer anti airs. His usmash has less BKB. His fsmash has far less range, weaker hit boxes and misses. His bair has more BKB to combo, but less BKG to kill. Uair does less percent which means it kills later.

In general, Brawl DK was better to me for he could close stocks and rack percent. He just had many top tier troubles.

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
I've played a lot versus one of the best Bowsers in Project M 3.5, where his design was basically to compensate for the weaknesses of a heavy with armoured moves, and as a result I can't share the same enthusiasm about putting super armor on heavies as most of you. It was unintuitive while feeling terrible for the opponent, and relatively unsatisfying for the Bowser player. The design also polarized Bowser versus grab centric characters. Kind of hard to explain, but it just didn't really work out. Smash 4 is a different game though.

---

Trifroze Trifroze , I know Vyrnx Vyrnx touched on this, but it's unfair to separate character viability and their effect on the meta when one is dependent on the other. Bowser and DK won't ever be as meta relevant as Luigi was because their weaknesses can be exposed even by mediocre players. I suppose the argument here is "if a mechanic is toxic when the character is good, it should be equally toxic if the character is bad"; however, I don't feel that guaranteed early kills off grab are inherently poor design when counterbalanced with the appropriate weaknesses, and it seems that many posters here also share that sentiment.

Many characters can punish DK and Bowser nearly as hard as they can punish with their throw combos, which contributes to their high risk high reward style, as opposed to Luigi and pre-patch Diddy's low/medium risk high reward style. You bring up an example with Sheik where top tiers aren't rewarded for winning neutral, but many top tiers such as Rosalina, Zero Suit, Fox, Ryu, and Cloud can take stocks off heavies off very few neutral interactions.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
I anything, rage and the previous patches seem to have made bowser and DK more like the tank class in LoL. Tank hits like crazy and get stronger as the battle progresses. Then kill at absurdly low percentages when your opponent has fed you 100%+.

Which makes me curious, what characters would fall into the other classes like Assassin, Mage, Fighter, and Marksman?

The obvious ones are Robin/Mage and greninja/assassin. I'm not sure where swordies would fall though...
Re: Swordsmen

Each of them would fall under sub categories

Standard: Marth/Lucina
Swift: Roy, Metaknight
Strong: Ike
Hybrid: Robin, Link, Toon Link
All Around: Corrin, Pit/Dark Pit, Mii Sword Fighter, Cloud*
Other: Shulk

*Cloud is obviously more extreme than the other characters in his category

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Goodness no. That would make things *gasp* DIFFERENT.

Slip Bomb.

Flame Wave.

Someone also made a suggestion for DK's side b to have super armor and there's a custom for that too. For a number of characters, we don't need to hope for more patches to make them more viable. We could buff them ourselves as a community with customs...but that won't happen since Sakurai made them needlessly difficult to obtain, people for whatever reason don't want to accept changing characters on their own and when they do accept it, it becomes an all or nothing which results in windkong and stallager. Dah well, one can hope that moderate custom usage will become a thing in a few years. After all, the game hasn't even been out for 2 years.

Actually, with everyone tossing buff ideas around and nerf ideas coming up every now and then (less so nowadays since every top tier has a weakness) I'm surprised customs aren't used more. If they're truly problematic then that should be shown. The dev team has shown willingness to touch custom moves in patches and with them not being used in many tournaments nor allowed on FG, I can imagine they have very little to go off of.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I know. Thank you for admitting your previous statement about jab lock moot in one post. This is Smash 4, not Brawl.
The point is that's why it was changed. Geeze.

Risk vs. reward. Remember this is Dorf's Fsmash or even a homerun bat, and I'm pretty sure he can toss the item at somebody if he's not using it.

Making it launch isn't a better combo throw dude. Making them in a bad position by means of forcing them to tech mixup is more profitable than getting them simply in the air.
They're never going to make it untechable again though. Either it's going to pop people up and reduce the endlag or you're going to get punished for it half the time when it launches down.

Flame Wave.

Hey, I actually paid attention to customs. Excuse me for forgetting how a useless one works.

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
I really don't like when people say heavies are broken by design. Honestly, most of the buffs ideal Mid-Tier Ganon would need would have very little to do with fixing "heavy" problems.
Just as a list:
Honestly giving Flame Choke 2 frames less endlag on hit would mean he could at least Dtilt everyone on missed tech/tech in place, meaning that he'd never have to cover more than 3 options.
This, plus Air Choke having 25 frames of endlag rather than 40 (sounds like a lot, but that's just a +5 advantage on the person getting up). Flame Choke is techable but has guaranteed followups, Air Choke isn't techable but lacks guaranteed followups.

Dark Dive significantly buffed to deal 20% total, and kill at least as early as F-Tilt, with the same angle. Endlag on hit reduced from 60 to 15 frames, RCO on hit removed. It is not easy for Ganon to hit with this move by any means, so if you're hit by it you better regret it. Endlag buff is just to prevent it from ever being punishable on hit.

Pummel buffed to 4%, Up, Back, and Forward Throws all kill at decent %'s (130% or so?) and do 15%, D-Throw Angle and knockback adjusted to allow better low-mid percent followups but not allowing for any sort of kill confirm. Ganon has an extremely short grab range and poor mobility, so it's very hard for him to land grabs. Alternatively you could leave his grab reward as is and give him really good grab range, but I feel increased reward is more in-line with Ganon's design.

Nair given back the 12% hitboxes at the tips of both kicks, slight BKB increase on the "comboing" hits of the first kick. This would be an extraordinarily useful spacing and combo tool for Ganon, giving him more reward and making him better able to stay at midrange.
None of these center around fixing generic "heavy" problems, which is why I disagree when people say heavies are broken by design. I'm pretty sure you could make a list like this for every generic heavyweight without ever mentioning mobility, frame data, or disadvantage.

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Fun fact about wind kong: The windbox got stronger with rage.

So any counterplay would become less effective and consistent as the match went on.

Shame because electric punch and jumping headbutt were such smart, necessary tools for DK. (Landing mix-ups and safe, frontal coverage)

Hey, I actually paid attention to customs. Excuse me for forgetting how a useless one works.
Flame wave was great lol Lots of shield-heavy chars with too good rolls to punish consistently. Also the shorter, slower range actually made it better for covering standard get-up.

Every single ganon custom had a justifiable competitive use.

Last edited:

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692

So any counterplay would become less effective and consistent as the match went on.

Shame because electric punch and jumping headbutt were such smart, necessary tools for DK. (Landing mix-ups and safe, frontal coverage)

Flame wave was great lol Lots of shield-heavy chars with too good rolls to punish consistently. Also the shorter, slower range actually made it better for covering standard get-up.

Every single ganon custom had a justifiable competitive use.
Wizard assault, Warlock thrust & Dark vault are useless, Flame chain might as well be useless considering there isn't a single MU where it's better than Choke (Wave at least has a good niche vs Rosa).

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ

Even air dodging through it? The windbox shouldn't affect you if you air dodge out early enough, right?

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Wizard assault, Warlock thrust & Dark vault are useless, Flame chain might as well be useless considering there isn't a single MU where it's better than Choke (Wave at least has a good niche vs Rosa).
Chain was an easy jump snipe. If people jumped away to escape pressure it was pretty much unavoidable and it sent at a totally ass angle. Also beat spindash.

Vault did go higher and dark fist just didn't work on some characters, but that's mostly an issue of fist.

I forgot about assault tho lol

Even air dodging through it? The windbox shouldn't affect you if you air dodge out early enough, right?
It lasts way longer than an airdodge man, double airdodge could let you avoid the hit maybe but it'd still be inconsistent

Last edited:

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Chain was an easy jump snipe. If people jumped away to escape pressure it was pretty much unavoidable and it sent at a totally *** angle. Also beat spindash.

Vault did go higher and dark fist just didn't work on some characters, but that's mostly an issue of fist.

I forgot about assault tho lol
Vault is a worse dark dive, and that says something.
The better height is negligible because it doesn't go as far horizontally, it's slower because of the 2 jumps & you lose the uppercut on dark dive which helps him a lot when recovering.
Flame chain is good on paper but you lose the 1 good thing he has vs shields, it's not worth giving up choke/wave at all, also the slow startup & terrible endlag make it horrible vs shield, it only works if they don't have exp vs it.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
The windbox was ridiculous because you could interrupt it and then suddenly you were... Places? This was one of my first smash 4 tournaments and what you see isn't just the frame rate (which was unfortunately terrible) - I was sitting there and had absolutely no idea what had happened and suddenly I was just in the blastzone. :'( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlwNYUYxwx4&t=21m20s

While I've always enjoyed customs, I am maybe a little glad that I don't have to deal with this anymore. :p

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
The windbox was ridiculous because you could interrupt it and then suddenly you were... Places? This was one of my first smash 4 tournaments and what you see isn't just the frame rate (which was unfortunately terrible) - I was sitting there and had absolutely no idea what had happened and suddenly I was just in the blastzone. :'( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlwNYUYxwx4&t=21m20s

While I've always enjoyed customs, I am maybe a little glad that I don't have to deal with this anymore. :p
Yea, windboxes also effect you more while you're doing specials. It pulled people in so it couldn't really be used for gimping too often, so only random stuff like this happened.

If rage mario fludds luigi or pika while they charge their sidebs it can kill them

Last edited:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
You forgot post-patch Diddy and to an extent Mewtwo. Just watch the GF set between Ally vs. Zero in GOML or Abadango's whole POUND run lol.
Wait . . . are you serious?

Mewtwo use a multitude of methods to kill. Up throw kills, Back throw kills, fully charged shadow ball kills, Fair kills, up air kills, back air can kill if your edgeguarding, Dair has a good spike box, up smash kills well and comes out frame 9.

Like . . . All Mewtwo main's are using at least 3-4 of these. Why are you comparing Mewtwo's methods of killing to pre patch Diddy and Luigi? That's an awful comparison.

:150:

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
The point is that's why it was changed. Geeze.

Risk vs. reward. Remember this is Dorf's Fsmash or even a homerun bat, and I'm pretty sure he can toss the item at somebody if he's not using it.

They're never going to make it untechable again though. Either it's going to pop people up and reduce the endlag or you're going to get punished for it half the time when it launches down.

If the jab lock isn't feasible to perform on a consistent basis (since would be most likely performed in FFA), that doesn't seem like a strong reason to add an unnecessary tech.....plus jab locks with Ganon aren't too strong and jab locks only hit 3 times. In other words, that's not a strong enough reason to Nerf one of his few true moves that put the heat on the opponent to react.

Also, the argument was why untechable is better, not the binary response of will they or won't. They probably won't, but they did make his aerial version unteachable in a patch.

It's OK to back out arguments if you're wrong, but persistence until you get to the point of saying "Aha, I got you!" While making strawmans along the way isn't all to wise IMO.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
The real issue with grabs being difficult to answer lies in how fast they are compared to other games, plus the ability to dashgrab and the generally higher mobility of smash.
Are they? Seems like Street Fighter V's throws are all frame 5. Command throws vary of course. In context to other games, maybe Smash's grabs are faster despite actually being slower in startup. Other reason: Smash's grabs wildly vary in startup, range, recovery, and even function with the biggest example of a different grab being PAC-MAN's which has frame gaps unlike everyone else. Other than that, you just have close-range (Mario), mid-range (Yoshi), and long-range grabs (Link). Even then, they overlap like how Lucas has a tether grab, but its shorter than the others or how Melee Marth's grab might as well be a mid-range one. They also don't really have a template like Lucas has a tether grab, but his is frame 12 which is faster than pre-1.1.5 Greninja, Villager, and Yoshi's mid-range grab.

If it were up to me, all close-range standing grabs would be frame 6, mid-range frame 9, and long-range frame 12 -- yes, even ZSS's. Dash and pivots would be similar to what they are now or can deviate just to be unique like how Greninja and Yoshi's dash grabs are faster than their standing grabs -- the implication that Greninja would have dash grab faster than frame 9 is scary -- or how PAC-MAN and Wario have the same startup on all their grabs, but Wario's might have to stay frame 8 for dash and pivot if he had a frame 6 st. grab. Doesn't have to follow this perfectly, but it's more to tighten the startup range since it's weird to see noticeable gaps and them making no sense. Greninja and Zelda's standing grabs have similar range, but before 1.1.5, Greninja's was 4 frames slower for no reason. Or you have certain characters like Bowser and Little Mac who have frame 9 grabs that don't have the range of a mid-range grab or Samus having insane amounts of recovery on her grabs when none of her throws KO and none of them can setup for KOs while Link rocks grabs that have low recovery compared to hers, he has access to a KO throw, and his setup throw kind of is more reliable when his damage per hit is much higher than Samus's or ZSS's has high recovery, but not as high as Samus's, she can setup KOs with them, and her dash grab having noticeable slide not to mention the her raw ground speed makes ZSS's grabs have much more reward to combat its risk.

I'd rather see Ganondorf rock a Zelda jab where she has high startup, 11, but low recovery, 9. Obviously, he shouldn't be able to do this: https://youtu.be/NqtpdTyXd6Q?t=53, which technically would be impossible as Ganondorf's command throw and burst movement is much slower than Laura's not to mention his jab would still be slower than Laura's frame 3 light punch or this which is just funny: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCjmlxRRLVI. Ganondorf's 1.1.5 jab is better compared to his pre-patch jab, but I do think it's still overlapping with his Ftilt as a hard check to push back people, especially pre-patch where it didn't do enough damage, knockback, and had similar recovery to Ftilt, pre-patch jab's 26 to Ftilt's 28, but was 2 frames faster to make up for all of that. Now, it's kind of better, especially in recovery where it has 21 recovery frames, but maybe it should be a "different move" kind of like how Marth's jab 1 was changed from being a horizontal hit to a more vertical hit. Before, Marth's jab was kind of like a weaker Ftilt that didn't do much except lead into "another Ftilt", jab 2, but after 1.0.8, jab 1's vertical angle allowed Marth to mixup with it; Marth could Ftilt, probably Utilt, and Side Smash for a mixup along with the usual immediate jab 2, delayed jab 2, or choosing to do nothing.

A weird and could easily be broken idea if done wrong for Ganondorf's jab is to make it be able to shield pressure. Much lower recovery would do the trick. Oh, but Ganondorf's jab is way too spammable now! Remember this: Ganondorf doesn't have the mobility or startup to quickly followup, jab's startup is frame 7, and jab having relatively high knockback means he's going to push them out. The idea is to allow Ganondorf to poke a shield, make them react, and respond by just jabbing them again or mixing up with another option. Ganondorf's not realistically going to be able to jab a shield to shield break or cause a situation where he can instantly KO because you panicked. Nothing is changed to his other moves, so if he jab and decides to Ftilt thinking you dropped your shield, but you don't, welp, have fun punishing him for making the wrong guess, however, if you panic, roll back, and Ganondorf reads this, he could (try to) "chase" you down with a dash attack, Flame Choke, or Wizard's Foot. Right now, Ganondorf's jab is -16 on-shield with the sour 6% and -14 with the sweet 10%. Dropping the total frames by 10, from 28 to 18, making its recovery 11 would make it at best, -4 on-shield and at worst, -6 on-shield. That could work as there's a low enough frame advantage where Ganondorf won't get horribly punished, but high enough that he's still at a disadvantage. 0 frame advantage with the 10% hit and -2 with the 6% hit would need a 5 frame drop to 14 total frames which would give him a 7 recovery frames which is probably the lowest a jab would have in the game. A frame 7 jab with 7 recovery frames... End result is he'd have a jab nobody has and one that is naturally kept in check by his mobility, its startup, and its frame data making it push people out rather than like Ryu's light Dtilt which is frame 2 setting up or Zelda's lower knockback allowing her to link into them at low percents.

Last edited:

Yikarur

Smash Master
Das Koopa Das Koopa

BIG AGON - Flawless Strike (100 Entrants) Neuss, Germany
1st cyve - :4diddy: :4mewtwo:
2nd quiK - :4zss:
3rd BluB - :4bayonetta:
4th wusi - :4fox:
5th Eddy - :4greninja:
5th Jbandrew - :4metaknight: :4luigi:
7th Sodrek - :4fox: :4cloud:
7th Light - :4sheik: :4mario:
9th Sillintor - :4link:
9th Clade - :4lucas:
9th Suishomaru - :4bowserjr:
9th Long0uw - :4cloud:
13th Purple~H - :4cloud:
13th Biggad - :4corrin:
13th Kunai KazeKun - :4tlink:
13th Yoh - :4myfriends:

Bracket: http://agon-serie.challonge.com/AGON_FLS_Bracket
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYkLkcUZQJOM0SW0NJKGkHQ/videos

Personal Note: TOing and playing doesn't come well together. (I got 17th) I played so badly, I'm really dissatisfied. I lost to Eddy because he powershielded a roll read (upsmash) that would've lead to game twice to reverse game instead and I lost to the Link, because I have no idea what to expect in that match-up and he is an amazing player = Bad Combination.
The tournament was really stacked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJc10Qng8Oc
This is probably my favorite set of the tournament. Yoh (Ike) vs. Jbandrew (MK)
@san. Jband told Yoh that his neutral exceeds yours but he lacks outbursting moves, he's playing too much good neutral. Can you agree with that?

Last edited:

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
It's unfair to look at Bowser of all characters strengths in a vacuum, and then say, "effect on the meta," when Bowser will never have the same effect on the meta as Luigi did, and Bowser's gameplan does not center around his grab in the same way that Luigi's did.
I didn't look at Bowser in a vacuum, I criticized his gameplan. It centers around his grab the exact same way as Luigi's did: it's his best way of doing damage at low percents and his best way of killing at higher percents. It wasn't abused versus a Rosalina because she's probably the worst character to perform grab setups on due to her floatiness and Luma interrupting you.

Also ( Jams. Jams. as well), Bowser never having the same effect on the meta as Luigi did is a brave thing to claim, especially right after a Bowser beat players like Vinnie and Void (and almost Ally) and got 4th place at a tournament that was stacked towards top 16, something Luigi hardly ever managed to do. It already proves that the character is able to do it. Meanwhile DK has been contesting top players and characters for a long time through a few notable players.

The fact that their weaknesses are more exploitable than Luigi's might be made up for by the fact that their grab setups kill 50% earlier and that they live far longer, benefiting more from rage. They are undeniably more extreme than Luigi in both directions and we can't pretend to know how it all pans out when the characters are put into actual effect.

Either way like I said, even if this is not the case, you'd only be allowing DK and Bowser to have a super explosive and simplified gameplan because they're not that good regardless. But a character can be badly designed without being good. I once made an example that, if there's a character who has mid to low tier tools but has a 10% chance to automatically win any match as it starts, they'd be straight up cancerous to individual players in a bracket, yet they could never win any sizeable tournaments. The same way Bowser for instance might never be able to win anything big, but he can beat any player by guessing right a few times in 2-3 consecutive matches, just as he could always be beaten by anyone doing the same thing. Even if the opponent always has better odds for this, no one wants a match to be decided based on just a few exchanges per stock.

The only opposing arguments left are: "Bowser doesn't rely on grab that much" and "Bowser can't take a stock off reliably with just a few guesses", and both of them are straight up untrue. He relies on grab more than anything else because the risk reward ratio for it is completely twisted (the fact that grab isn't the only move he ever uses or even 2/3 of the moves he ever uses doesn't mean he doesn't heavily rely on grab). He can do 20-30% damage per grab easily, and he only needs 70-80% to take a stock off in most cases. For DK, this is even worse because his grab is better, he can do more damage per grab, and he kills with it earlier.

A match decided by only a few exchanges is uncompetitive. One tool being the optimal choice over all other tools in most scenarios is bad moveset design. DK and Bowser can take a stock off consistently with only 3-4 actual neutral wins. And they do most of it with one move.

Last edited:

jespoke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jespoke
I think taking a stock after only few neutral wins is perfectly reasonable for a character that has to fight hard to win the neutral.

The difference between the Luigi case and the Bowser case is that pre-patch Luigi had a much easier time getting his overpowered grab to land than Bowser does.

Ninety

Smash Journeyman
The only opposing arguments left are: "Bowser doesn't rely on grab that much" and "Bowser can't take a stock off reliably with just a few guesses", and both of them are straight up untrue. He relies on grab more than anything else because the risk reward ratio for it is completely twisted (the fact that grab isn't the only move he ever uses or even 2/3 of the moves he ever uses doesn't mean he doesn't heavily rely on grab). .
I know our reference pool is small, but looking at LordMix's matches that definitely did not seem to be the case. Hell, he got grabbed a lot more than he did the grabbing.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Also, it should be no mystery as to why DK relies on grabs more.

Bowser has better options at closing stocks.

All of DKs stock closers were nerfed in some way from Brawl. He suffered a range Nerf too. His dsmash no longer sends them at a great angle, was weakened, and no longer anti airs. His usmash has less BKB. His fsmash has far less range, weaker hit boxes and misses. His bair has more BKB to combo, but less BKG to kill. Uair does less percent which means it kills later.

In general, Brawl DK was better to me for he could close stocks and rack percent. He just had many top tier troubles.
Surprise, surprise. DK's whole schtick from Melee onwards is that he trades some power for speed compared to other superheavies. Made no sense that almost everything he had in Brawl could hit harder than almost anything Bowser or Ganondorf could throw out. Just be glad they didn't overcompensate like they did for :dkmelee:.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
what in the world is with the sudden burst of :4bowserjr: getting 13th

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I think taking a stock after only few neutral wins is perfectly reasonable for a character that has to fight hard to win the neutral.

The difference between the Luigi case and the Bowser case is that pre-patch Luigi had a much easier time getting his overpowered grab to land than Bowser does.
Luigi also had top tier attack frame data to back him up in case grabbing wasn't feasible.

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
Can we talk about how impressive :4lucas: results are getting right now? We didn't really saw Lucas main doing the work since he came out. Or the bayonetta days. Where people though he had a good MU againts her (and I do think it's a good MU). But he has trouble with the other top tiers. But he made some awesome results in 13th and 7th. That's not very common to see from a ''mid tier'' character

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
I didn't look at Bowser in a vacuum, I criticized his gameplan. It centers around his grab the exact same way as Luigi's did: it's his best way of doing damage at low percents and his best way of killing at higher percents. It wasn't abused versus a Rosalina because she's probably the worst character to perform grab setups on due to her floatiness and Luma interrupting you.

Also ( Jams. Jams. as well), Bowser never having the same effect on the meta as Luigi did is a brave thing to claim, especially right after a Bowser beat players like Vinnie and Void (and almost Ally) and got 4th place at a tournament that was stacked towards top 16, something Luigi hardly ever managed to do. It already proves that the character is able to do it. Meanwhile DK has been contesting top players and characters for a long time through a few notable players.

The fact that their weaknesses are more exploitable than Luigi's might be made up for by the fact that their grab setups kill 50% earlier and that they live far longer, benefiting more from rage. They are undeniably more extreme than Luigi in both directions and we can't pretend to know how it all pans out when the characters are put into actual effect.

Either way like I said, even if this is not the case, you'd only be allowing DK and Bowser to have a super explosive and simplified gameplan because they're not that good regardless. But a character can be badly designed without being good. I once made an example that, if there's a character who has mid to low tier tools but has a 10% chance to automatically win any match as it starts, they'd be straight up cancerous to individual players in a bracket, yet they could never win any sizeable tournaments. The same way Bowser for instance might never be able to win anything big, but he can beat any player by guessing right a few times in 2-3 consecutive matches, just as he could always be beaten by anyone doing the same thing. Even if the opponent always has better odds for this, no one wants a match to be decided based on just a few exchanges per stock.

The only opposing arguments left are: "Bowser doesn't rely on grab that much" and "Bowser can't take a stock off reliably with just a few guesses", and both of them are straight up untrue. He relies on grab more than anything else because the risk reward ratio for it is completely twisted (the fact that grab isn't the only move he ever uses or even 2/3 of the moves he ever uses doesn't mean he doesn't heavily rely on grab). He can do 20-30% damage per grab easily, and he only needs 70-80% to take a stock off in most cases. For DK, this is even worse because his grab is better, he can do more damage per grab, and he kills with it earlier.

A match decided by only a few exchanges is uncompetitive. One tool being the optimal choice over all other tools in most scenarios is bad moveset design. DK and Bowser can take a stock off consistently with only 3-4 actual neutral wins. And they do most of it with one move.
Don't take this the wrong way, but I have a simple question to ask:
Have you ever played another fighting game that's not Smash? Do you actively watch other fighting games?

If you answered yes to any of those questions and still hold your beliefs, then I am beyond disappointed and confused. You're a veteran making rookie allegations, statements, and having a rookie mentality. I hate using even the slightest ad hominems for anyone (especially for esteemed and well respected people), but all I could do is call you a rookie FAM. Please forgive me later when the argument eventually subsides.

Maybe this is what happens when people Nerf the top tiers, they start trying to Nerf everyone else.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Boy, you'd really hate every other fighting game.

Last edited:

Mecakoto

Smash Journeyman
I must be way behind in the metagame. When did wishful thinking start to affect matchups? And how do I do the "complain" tech? Seems really useful, because it's all I ever see in this thread anymore. Must be over-centralizing, or another buzzword.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom