• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v1.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Here's the VOD

http://www.twitch.tv/nairomk/v/39739166

He discusses things. Skipping around, he's said

A: Bayonett'a back air is weaker than Zamus' (est kill at 139%)
B: Corrin lacks grab followups
C: Umbra has brief walkoffs (10secs)

Last edited:

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
The Melee tier list thread had just as many differences of opinion... they couldn't even all agree that Fox is the best character in the game.

For a game this young, I'd say they did a great job.
I would say that the fact that Pika is in top 5 is a strong indicator of how good of a job this was.

Luigi player

Smash Master
What did he say or where did he say it?
He said it during his stream tonight a few hours ago.

Here's what I've written down as notes (wasn't there since the beginning so I missed some stuff; also things in "quotes" aren't exact quotes, just what he basically said):

:4corrin::4corrinf:***corrin:

upB is pretty weak (doesn't KO at 80-90 at the top with ~100 rage)

can't use the "down" option from sideB for a "jabreset"

tilts are pretty decent

downB is pretty good

usmash "I don't want to say garbage" (hard to hit)

fsmash good
- didn't see a hitbox while charging

dsmash pretty good (one side, the other not too great?)

aerials pretty good
-uair can kill pretty early
-bair is also pretty strong

sh autocancel: bair, fair, nair

decent damage output

grabs: no combo throws (MAYBE dthrow to RAR bair on heavies at very low %)

2nd jump doesn't go too high (probably dies if spiked)

"potentially better than robin, but not better than ike (first impression)"

:4bayonetta:***bayonetta:

neutralB pretty good

fthrow: KOs at the edge at ~140

nair, uair are really good
jabs too

bullet arts (after attacks if you hold button) are funny/interesting but not too useful and often don't even hit

smashattacks have the "projectile attribute"
(aka you can clash with them with non-transcendent moves, including aerials)

witchtime doesn't remove the hitbox from attacks = smashes could clank during witchtime

[still best counter in the game]
got hit by witchtime at 40 %, were slowed down for like 6 seconds and got killed by fsmash.
fsmash to dsmash combo like in the trailer can actually work for real (not too hard to setup too)

bat within = rolling & airdodge & spotdodging
(is mostly a good thing but can be a bad thing because you get damage) [never got it to work with downB, so it's just her getting 'hit' while dodging?]

can wall cling

"bayonetta probably better than kamui-
all in all both bayo and kamui are good characters"

didn't notice any changes to ryu, zss, rosa, sheik or zelda

***clock tower: has a walkoff and 2 platforms below at some times ("can definitely see as a counterpick" [background stuff could be distracting; for FD at least its only a short time with the sun])

DLC characters won't be put to their respective franchises on the character select screen :(

Last edited:

11volt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MasterHector
3DS FC
3308-4758-8536
Switch FC
SW-6893-8714-9974
What do you all think about where :4charizard: is? I personally think he is too low.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
The wonderful world of opinions.
The wonderful world of a complete lack of results and theory. How can this be justified, tbh

I have many more gripes (yoshi and captain falcon around 15th lol) but this one stands out.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Considering how awful of some of the top players' tier lists have been ... this one could've been a lot worse.

Pikachu and Ryu clearly being rated too high is kind of a problem though because that means two of the top five characters are just blatantly incorrect. Beyond questionable amounts of theorycrafting there's no justification to place these characters higher than Sonic, Diddy Kong, Fox or MK. That's kind of a big deal. I also think that at least Villager, Diddy and MK should have been placed above Mario. Not as big a deal but still reeks of players caring more about personal experience than about results and facts.

Other than that I have a few minor things [Peach & ROB are too high, Duck Hunt too low] but overall it's a decent start. Honestly though, I think we should just use the list @san. posted, switch Yoshi with ROB, switch Luigi with Peach and roll with it.

:059:

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Considering how awful of some of the top players' tier lists have been ... this one could've been a lot worse.

Pikachu and Ryu clearly being rated too high is kind of a problem though because that means two of the top five characters are just blatantly incorrect. Beyond questionable amounts of theorycrafting there's no justification to place these characters higher than Sonic, Diddy Kong, Fox or MK. That's kind of a big deal. I also think that at least Villager, Diddy and MK should have been placed above Mario. Not as big a deal but still reeks of players caring more about personal experience than about results and facts.

Other than that I have a few minor things [Peach & ROB are too high, Duck Hunt too low] but overall it's a decent start. Honestly though, I think we should just use the list @san. posted, switch Yoshi with ROB, switch Luigi with Peach and roll with it.

san is my spirit animal. A+ tier list san

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
The wonderful world of a complete lack of results and theory. How can this be justified, tbh

I have many more gripes (yoshi and captain falcon around 15th lol) but this one stands out.
It's the same list that ranks Ganondorf bottom 3, even though there's evidence supporting he's low tier at worst.

The lack of results on a character doesn't equal automatic low placing, too.

Last edited:

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
It's the same list that ranks Ganondorf bottom 3, even though there's evidence supporting he's low tier at worst.

Not quite sure what you mean with that second statement. I'm not saying Pika is bad, but I can think of at least 10 fighters that are better than him in theory and results.

Yikarur

Smash Master
It's confusing me that Yoshi is suddenly on the "too high" train even though his spot is pretty much correct.
Ryu and Pikachu are obviously too high and I'm super confused how they ended up in that position.
because for Ryu to place 4th, they must be an about equal amount of votes who put him higher than fourth than votes that put him below fourth and I thought a lot of people would put him arround ~8.
Same for Pikachu.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Not quite sure what you mean with that second statement. I'm not saying Pika is bad, but I can think of at least 10 fighters that are better than him in theory and results.
The second statement means that characters like Link seem to be given placements based on the lack of results they get and more about hearsay, but does that automatically mean they're bad or low in viability? Nah, it just shows how much people need to learn about him.

If the list put Link in bottom tier (where he would never belong; he doesn't even belong in low tier anymore at this point), then there'd be evidence there is misconception about Link himself. But seeing as he is almost bottom tier shows me how much people have yet to learn about Link and how much people still don't even remotely know about him, or even see some of his good tournament results.

Welcome back Shaya Shaya !

IMO the list looks pretty good but I'd have Link 1 tier higher. The reasoning is while he's not a national threat (getting 97th and 65th at genesis 3 iirc), he does have results regionally. Like Scizor in SoCal placing 35th out of 499
http://paragon.challonge.com/la_2015_smash4_singles
4th out of 113
http://challonge.com/SBACSingles
Zane the pure in Texas getting several placings like 17 out of 118.
http://tloc.challonge.com/SW61
Unknown getting 3rd out of 65 in VA
http://rvaforge.challonge.com/bcocugj5
We also have PRed Links.
http://smashboards.com/threads/link-social-the-triforce-of-doin-work.370194/page-357#post-20817415
to name just a few; sorry to skip people but I'd rather post a link than copy the whole tourney results thread:
http://smashboards.com/threads/link-tournament-results-thread-25th-october.404196/

I have trouble seeing Link below characters like Mewtwo and Kirby.
And then came this, which I do agree with.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
I'm proud of the voters of this smash tier list generation for finally getting Zelda in the correct tier bracket on the first try. :secretkpop:

But srsly her score is so much worse that she almost qualifies for her own "K tier" LMAO. They probably just felt bad about tossing her in her own tier :^)

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
The second statement means that characters like Link seem to be given placements based on the lack of results they get and more about hearsay, but does that automatically mean they're bad or low in viability? Nah, it just shows how much people need to learn about him.

If the list put Link in bottom tier (where he would never belong; he doesn't even belong in low tier anymore at this point), then there'd be evidence there is misconception about Link himself. But seeing as he is almost bottom tier shows me how much people have yet to learn about Link and how much people still don't even remotely know about him, or even see some of his good tournament results.

And then came this, which I do agree with.
You lost me at "Link", dude.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy

And the presence of results doesn't mean everything, either. Unless I'm sleeping at the wheel here, I don't think Zelda has the worst results in the game. Maybe she does; I haven't studied them extensively.

(To be clear, I'm agreeing with your last sentence.)

As for Ganon, I'm not sure how he's better than 8 characters. He feels pretty terrible to me.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
And the presence of results doesn't mean everything, either. Unless I'm sleeping at the wheel here, I don't think Zelda has the worst results in the game. Maybe she does; I haven't studied them extensively.

As for Ganon, I'm not sure how he's better than 8 characters. He feels pretty terrible to me.
What Zelda results

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
I'm proud of the voters of this smash tier list generation for finally getting Zelda in the correct tier bracket on the first try. :secretkpop:

But srsly her score is so much worse that she almost qualifies for her own "K tier" LMAO. They probably just felt bad about tossing her in her own tier :^)
Yeeeeep.

They don't want Zelda to be usable. To be honest, neither do I. It's much more fun that way.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Speaking of bottom tier characters.

What exactly is it that keeps 1111 Brawler from being the worst character? Seriously, that dude is just awful all-around and seeing him placed above characters like Charizard and Palutena looks just downright strange to me. How can the average 4BR member be of that opinion? Makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Swordy listed as the worst Mii is an absolute travesty, even moreso than brawler being too high.

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
Last edited:

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
Yeah, I can't see how swordfighter isn't the best. I wonder if the early stigma of him being considered the worst is still having an influence.

I guess the more I look at the list, the less great it appears to be.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326

First you, then the other one. Ganondorf has some pretty great MUs against characters who are above him, especially the likes of :4charizard: and :4dedede: for bottom tiers who he can beat, :4littlemac::4kirby::4gaw::4feroy: are low tiers he can soft counter, :4bowser: and :4lucario: are the middle tiers he can beat, and there's solid evidence with his massive KO prowess, ability to force some characters to counter (Roy and Mac), and the ability to Flame Choke > F-Tilt everyone above, but Roy, who can just simply be F-Tilted. :4drmario: might be another example of someone he soft counters; yeah, Doc has good combo follow ups, but he's also a victim of low mobility, a poor recovery and Flame Choke > F-Tilt, as well as light weight and easy to edge guard.

There are characters I can tell could go even with Ganondorf, such as :4shulk::4mewtwo::4falco::4bowserjr::4wario: and :4dk:. I'm a bit iffy on :4olimar:, but maybe he's an even to Ganondorf as long as Ganondorf doesn't manage to find his way around him. Yeah, Ganondorf does have a lot of counters who can beat him like :4mario::4luigi::4ryu::4link::4myfriends::4greninja: and :4rob: as examples, but most of his counters are often 45:55 to 40:60 in the opponent's favor, maybe 35:65 in the favor of :4zss::4metaknight::rosalina: and :4sheik:, but those are given.

But Ganondorf having good MUs (and this is from my experience against other decent players from offline tournaments and Anther's) can mean he's better than bottom 3. He's always going to be, to me at least, a low tier, maybe a possible bottom 20, but never really bottom 3, 5, 8 over 2 Baes.

You lost me at "Link", dude.
I tend to do that to people. Just read again. :4link:
Did I lose you at :4link: again?

============================================

Alright guys, since we have one day left before 1.1.3 ends, who wants to end up posting their own tiers OR end up wanting to discuss the characters like we did in previous viability threads?

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
First you, then the other one. Ganondorf has some pretty great MUs against characters who are above him, especially the likes of :4charizard: and :4dedede: for bottom tiers who he can beat, :4littlemac::4kirby::4gaw::4feroy: are low tiers he can soft counter, :4bowser: and :4lucario: are the middle tiers he can beat, and there's solid evidence with his massive KO prowess, ability to force some characters to counter (Roy and Mac), and the ability to Flame Choke > F-Tilt everyone above, but Roy, who can just simply be F-Tilted. :4drmario: might be another example of someone he soft counters; yeah, Doc has good combo follow ups, but he's also a victim of low mobility, a poor recovery and Flame Choke > F-Tilt, as well as light weight and easy to edge guard.

There are characters I can tell could go even with Ganondorf, such as :4shulk::4mewtwo::4falco::4bowserjr::4wario: and :4dk:. I'm a bit iffy on :4olimar:, but maybe he's an even to Ganondorf as long as Ganondorf doesn't manage to find his way around him. Yeah, Ganondorf does have a lot of counters who can beat him like :4mario::4luigi::4ryu::4link::4myfriends::4greninja: and :4rob: as examples, but most of his counters are often 45:55 to 40:60 in the opponent's favor, maybe 35:65 in the favor of :4zss::4metaknight::rosalina: and :4sheik:, but those are given.

But Ganondorf having good MUs (and this is from my experience against other decent players from offline tournaments and Anther's) can mean he's better than bottom 3. He's always going to be, to me at least, a low tier, maybe a possible bottom 20, but never really bottom 3, 5, 8 over 2 Baes.

Alright guys, since we have one day left before 1.1.3 ends, who wants to end up posting their own tiers OR end up wanting to discuss the characters like we did in previous viability threads?
At least you have a sense of humor dude, lmao.

My personal top tier ^^^

EDIT: I just want to say, the meta has shifted A LOT in the past week or so, so I think that a lot of issues can be forgiven strictly for that reason. Putting up an official tier list in spite of that shift (which was clearly recognized), isn't however, imo

Last edited:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326

My personal top tier ^^^

EDIT: I just want to say, the meta has shifted A LOT in the past week or so, so I think that a lot of issues can be forgiven strictly for that reason. Putting up an official tier list in spite of that shift (which was clearly recognized), isn't however, imo
The meta might change for the better when the patch comes.
The jokes will also come sometime...rarely maybe.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party

My personal top tier ^^^
When did Mario become a better character than Fox, Diddy and Sonic?

Edit: and if it's just a personal list then it doesn't really belong in this thread ...

Last edited:

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
When did Mario become a better character than Fox, Diddy and Sonic?

Edit: and if it's just a personal list then it doesn't really belong in this thread ...

I mean, I can explain **** if you would like me to, but I've been pretty vocal about my opinions and why I have them for months so I'm sure you wouldn't actually want that. Kinda just beating a dead horse at this point.

Also, I was incited :( Damn you Larry, and your conniving ways! I've been bamboozled yet again.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I think the list is good outside of its structure (seriously guys, J tier?) and its haphazard placement of Miis. Definitely a good place to start discussion going forward.

Smooth Criminal

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
This tier list in a nutshell.
I have some big gripes with this list but nothing really worth getting too argumentative about, time will fix most of it I'd say.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti

Honestly, I don't see how Kirby/Ganon is a "soft counter" when he's literally the easiest character for us to 0-death in the entire game. Heck, I almost 0-death'd the best Ganon in Canada but I flubbed my d-air offstage.

What I mostly do is f-throw, FF u-air, double U-tilt, f-air. Actually, any move to get him offstage should be death, since our 30 active frame d-air into footstool is a guarunteed kill at any percent, and inhale (if read) beats side-b.

I'm not saying we DESTROY him or anything, but looking at how much we get off of one hit (can lead to death) it doesn't seem to be a soft counter. Having good kill power doesn't mean anything when w can theoretically kill him 50% earlier every stock.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I think the list is good outside of its structure (seriously guys, J tier?) and its haphazard placement of Miis. Definitely a good place to start discussion going forward.

Smooth Criminal
Although I generally agree with the tier list, I feel like a few characters just haven't been explored enough to really know where they stand and the Miis certainly fall under this category.

They probably should've had a "not enough info" tier for characters that are inconclusive. So few tournaments (especially nationals) have Miis legal that we don't have anywhere NEAR enough data on them.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
I mean, I can explain **** if you would like me to, but I've been pretty vocal about my opinions and why I have them for months so I'm sure you wouldn't actually want that. Kinda just beating a dead horse at this point.

Also, I was incited :( Damn you Larry, and your conniving ways! I've been bamboozled yet again.
The first few pages of this thread are going to literally be about comedy and the tier list.
You might call it the perfect plan.

But the Perfect plan would be to halt the production of another tier list for about seven months after Corrinetta's releases. We don't want ANOTHER Cloud.

Smooth Criminal
Well, we could discuss having it in 5 tiers instead of down to J tier. Since we have 58 characters in the long run, would it not be best to have it as such:

Top Tier
High Tier
Middle Tier
Low Tier
Neo Low Tier

And if we go from that, we can categorize them into Upper, Center and Lower sub-categories, too! This would have more organization and a less clunky nature.

That would be reasonable, no?

Although I generally agree with the tier list, I feel like a few characters just haven't been explored enough to really know where they stand and the Miis certainly fall under this category.

They probably should've had a "not enough info" tier for characters that are inconclusive. So few tournaments (especially nationals) have Miis legal that we don't have anywhere NEAR enough data on them.
:4link:

Yikarur

Smash Master
With Miis being 1111, Mii Brawler should definitely be dead last or at least the worst out of the Miis on the list. His gameplan doesn't even work with 1111, and he lacks KO options. Only real jarring placement to me, since he's definitely worse than Gunner and Swordfighter with 1111 rules.

Also a nitpick but I'm not a fan of using SABCDEFGHIJ instead of using A+ and such, as it implies a bigger gap between characters.
Mii Brawlers strength lies in his base moveset. He only loses his broken recovery (feint jump) and a strong killoption (Helicopter Kick). He is still pretty "ok" overall, because his normals are insanely good. Just his lack of recovery makes him bad.

^ this

1111 Guest Brawler is like Doc, but without the combo game, kill power, recovery, spacing game, punish options... I feel like only reason why he is placed so high is the HK. But then again we are talking about Guest 1111 so I dunno. There is no point placing him higher than Samus. I mean Samus has at least great punish game and very good combo game...

When it comes to Mii placing I have to say that at least @san. knows where to place them. I do agree with @Frown when it comes to the Mii placing thing.
Brawler and Doc have nothing in common. Brawler has a really good juggling game. His damage output is really strong as well. He just lacks reliable kill options and a broken recovery (his recovery in 1111 is "under average" but not completely bad)

That Free Brawler is good because of helicopter kick is a misconception. The reason he is good is because of feint jump. He would be a complete functioning character with 1112 and probably mid tier.

Speaking of bottom tier characters.

What exactly is it that keeps 1111 Brawler from being the worst character? Seriously, that dude is just awful all-around and seeing him placed above characters like Charizard and Palutena looks just downright strange to me. How can the average 4BR member be of that opinion? Makes no sense to me whatsoever.

that dude is not awful all-around and you probably have no basis to base those claims off. He is at least low tier with 1111.

But nevertheless, that ruling is bad anyway and I'd rather not discuss a character that should not exist like that.

The reason they are rated so low is because no one can dare to play them because of inconsistent and arbitrary rules and even if one of them would be remotely good, people would still not play them because they might get their main robbed from them at the next tournament.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Mii Brawlers strength lies in his base moveset. He only loses his broken recovery (feint jump) and a strong killoption (Helicopter Kick). He is still pretty "ok" overall, because his normals are insanely good. Just his lack of recovery makes him bad.

Brawler and Doc have nothing in common. Brawler has a really good juggling game. His damage output is really strong as well. He just lacks reliable kill options and a broken recovery (his recovery in 1111 is "under average" but not completely bad)

That Free Brawler is good because of helicopter kick is a misconception. The reason he is good is because of feint jump. He would be a complete functioning character with 1112 and probably mid tier.

that dude is not awful all-around and you probably have no basis to base those claims off. He is at least low tier with 1111.

But nevertheless, that ruling is bad anyway and I'd rather not discuss a character that should not exist like that.

The reason they are rated so low is because no one can dare to play them because of inconsistent and arbitrary rules and even if one of them would be remotely good, people would still not play them because they might get their main robbed from them at the next tournament.
Then uh

Why include them at all

Just a thought

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom